• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

joe2187

Banned
I preordered the regular edition from Best Buy and it shipped on Sunday. Should be in today. I would give them a call and see what's up. I'm in the US btw.

I called up and they said they cancelled my pre-order because it's sold out online.

I pre-ordered in store. My cash has vanished along with it apparently.

:'{

//ARCANUM

I called up and they said they cancelled my pre-order because it's sold out online.

I pre-ordered in store. My cash has dissapeared

wait what. they took your money and said your order had been canceled and aren't giving you back the money? do you have your email receipt?

joe2187

Banned
wait what. they took your money and said your order had been canceled and aren't giving you back the money? do you have your email receipt?

The only thing that shows up in my BestBuy RewardZone order history is Pre-order for $5.

I never got any e-mails for cancellation or anything. They said they're supposed to refund my money at the store, but there is no records at the store for the rest of my money. I think somebody fucked up my order in the computer.

The only thing that shows up in my BestBuy RewardZone order history is Pre-order for $5.

I never got any e-mails for cancellation or anything. They said they're supposed to refund my money at the store, but there is no records at the store for the rest of my money. I think somebody fucked up my order in the computer.

Typical Best Buy fuckery. I suggest you try to hunt down another copy at another retailer of the LE while you tear down the walls of Best Buy customer service.

FYI, it doesn't look like they were ever going to stock or ship them to their B&M stores. It was never available for in-store pick-up at any point during the preorder period, so whoever took your preorder really goofed it.

So I played during my long ass break at work(3 hours), I turned on auto map for like 5 minutes and it was horrible so that went back to off, I did play in Normal till I was around level 5 and I'm now back to Hard, I also REALLY recommend to set the speed to the fastest because seeing those slow animations got old really fast.

I also now appreciate EO way more in the sense that it let's me play the damn game really fast, the characters in here didn't shut up for like 30 minutes when I just wanted to play the damn game, even if Elizabeth and Aigis made me laugh(P3 route ftw).

What can I say, it's enjoyable so far and the production values are pretty nice. My team is:

MC/ Mitsuru /Aigis
Yukari/Rei

I really enjoyed how when Liz opened the shop and Inn and made up a stupid reason to why it's going to cost money.

//ARCANUM

Typical Best Buy fuckery. I suggest you try to hunt down another copy at another retailer of the LE while you tear down the walls of Best Buy customer service.

FYI, it doesn't look like they were ever going to stock or ship them to their B&M stores. It was never available for in-store pick-up at any point during the preorder period, so whoever took your preorder really goofed it.

yes i think it sucks that they didn't deliver the item, but the even BIGGER issue is that it was 100% paid for and now they're not giving a refund...

you need to go in to the store and raise hell.

Okay, so a couple of hours in now. I started with the P3 MC, but it didn't feel right for whatever reason, so I switched to P4 and have no regrets. I just unlocked the ability to have sub personae. Really liking the game so far. I have the game set to draw walls automatically but I enjoy filling in all of the little details by myself. One thing I'm super impressed with is the audio department. The music is great (Using earbuds), and the sheer amount of voice acting (Which has also been good) is awesome, hopefully it stays throughout the game like Virtue's Last Reward. I'll be disappointed if all of the production value is loaded into the first quarter of the game *coughNiNoKunicough*

I've been playing on normal, the battles have been fun. I decided to go back and try to fight an FOE after clearing the first dunegon floor and got REKT, so it will be satisfying to go back and kill those later on. I'm excited to get the P3 party. This could obviously change, but I'm hoping to use the 2 MCs, Aigis, Yukiko, and either Zen/Rin or someone else. The new charcters have been fine but the girl is a bit one dimensional so far.

In fact, that would probably be my only complaint so far, the characters. I know the cast is huge, and gameplay is taking priority over story in this game, but a lot of characters seemed to be dumbed down versions of themselves. Teddie pretty much only talks about girls. Oh well!

Nachos

Here's a late-game tip for anyone playing (it's not story-related, but I'll spoiler it just in case):
In order to unlock the ultimate equipment and each character's exclusive skill, you'll need to complete a side quest that only opens after both heroes reach level 55 in the same playthrough. After completing it, any character will learn their skill after reaching level 55.

I like to alternate between D-Pad & Circle Pad depending on the situation (though yes, d-pad = menus). My mind usually goes to Circle Pad since that's my "default" way to hold the system, plus the first thing I see is "choose" in a giant circle.

It's more of I find it weird when a game only offers one or the other as a method for input, not both. Don't really have an issue with it, it's just gonna take my brain some time to remember I can't use the circle pad. Think the same thing happened with Soul Hackers.

It makes sense when you get used to it. Movement's grid-based, which makes sense with a digital input, while the camera lets you look at pretty much any angle relative to the direction you're facing, so that's why it's on the circle pad.

I saw this called out in a review. Seems like a pretty silly oversight on their part.
Part of me's wondering if it just came down to a technical limitation, and the localization wasn't on Atlus Japan's minds as they were developing the game.

I think Aigis is recommended for the back row but someone on GAF posted that she's really good at the front, is that true?
I think that might've been me. Q has three characters that work really well in either row – Zen, Aigis, and late-game Yu. Zen has high stats across the board and can do whatever he wants, while Aigis is the game's tank and Yu can become a niche tank if you give him the right cards/sub-personas after he gets his exclusive skill. (It's unfortunately the only thing he excels at.)

I completely forgot this was coming...so I went to various online retailers. One already had it in store (it's supposed to release the day after tomorrow here)...This and Pokémon, I'm going to be broke -_-

(the battle track is so hype. It might become a favourite of mine)

namDa65

Eeh, first 40 minutes of the game and I'm not really enjoying the presentation of this at all. I've only played persona 4 golden and so far I'm not very impressed. The visual novel style of have two people on the screen at a time is not as immersive as a full 3d environment.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It makes sense when you get used to it. Movement's grid-based, which makes sense with a digital input, while the camera lets you look at pretty much any angle relative to the direction you're facing, so that's why it's on the circle pad.
Ah, okay. I haven't even started yet (probably won't get a good start until tomorrow) so it was just a quick little thing I noticed. I'm sure I'll get used to it once I start the actual game and spend some time using the d-pad.

Seda

So the Protags are different? Is there one that is better than the other or should I just not care? I went P3.

P3MC is weak to Elec and Dark. P4MC is weak to Wind. P4MC gets better Vit and Str. P3 gets better Mag, Agi, Luc. The dark weakness is probably the biggest knock against the P3MC.

Somebody translated the Japanese wiki here for stats and abilities. Potential spoiler warning..

Reveirg

Amazon shipment needs to arrive, can't wait to play this!

I still can't decide over which side to choose. I like the P3 and P4 cast equally. And I can't decide which battle theme I like the most either =(.

Any insight on this from those who played it? =D

P3MC is weak to Elec and Dark. P4MC is weak to Wind. P4MC gets better Vit and Str. P3 gets better Mag, Agi, Luc. The dark weakness is probably the biggest knock against the P3MC.

Somebody translated the Japanese wiki here for stats and abilities. Potential spoiler warning..

I thought I could change personas with the MC and change my weaknesses like in their games, am I wrong?

GeekyDad

Quick question: Are they doing it like they did in P3 where when naming your character, the first name you enter is actually the character's last name?

Seda

I thought I could change personas with the MC and change my weaknesses like in their games, am I wrong?

You could give them a sub-persona to cancel out their weaknesses, yeah, same with any character. In Persona Q, the MC doesn't get special treatment. He has a fixed Main-Persona just like everybody else. Sub-Personas are the ones you can attach to anybody (including Fuuka/Rise), fuse together, call from the compendium, etc.

You could give them a sub-persona to cancel out their weaknesses, yeah, same with any character. In Persona Q, the MC doesn't get special treatment. He has a fixed Main-Persona just like everybody else. Sub-Personas are the ones you can attach to anybody (including Fuuka/Rise), fuse together, call from the compendium, etc.

Ohhh, everything makes sense now, Thanks.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?

Ah.. that kinda sucks. I was gonna play risky with P3MC but that combo sounds terrible now.
Are there ways to cover a weakness eventually in this game? Equips or personas?
Damn, gotta rethink the risky or MC choice now.

EDIT: Okay so sub personas can help cover weakness. Still sucks I'd be limited to ones who negate dark for my mc so often. Rethinking this.

Nachos

I hate Persona, but I love Etrian, would I like this?
Probably not. This is fanservice for P3 and P4 fans with some light Etrian trappings. It has much more of a story focus, and the game still really plays like Persona despite the Etrian influence.

So the Protags are different? Is there one that is better than the other or should I just not care? I went P3.

They both have different stats and get access to different skills. The P3 hero is a mage and, despite getting a melee attack, is best in the back row thanks to having really high magic but low vitality. P4 Hero is a jack-of-all-trades, but unlike Zen, he doesn't have much going for him in his base skill set.

Unless the enemy is immune to all magic, the P3 hero will always out-damage the P4 hero, and even then, you have plenty of other, better muscle to pick up the slack. He does have better resistances, but that's easier to patch up than bad stats are.

Vague late-game story spoiler:
His exclusive skill is also the worst in the entire game, but there's another change that comes with getting that skill that makes him a good tank.

I'm still of the opinion that both Chie English voices are both bad and the fact people argue over which is better makes me sad.

Though the dub in Persona is pretty solid, except a few voices.

Also P3MC is weak to dark? That's crazy. That is super crazy. I'm rethinking my choice of going P3MC first and on risky difficulty.

PK Gaming

P3 Protag: Exceptional Magic and solid Strength/Speed/Luck. His vitality is low, which is somewhat of a concern if you use him in the front row. Using him in the backrow will keep him safe, but it'll weaken his physical skills, so make sure he's got some solid defensive equipment. Mudo weakness is somewhat of a problem, but manageable for the most part. Assuming you don't play on Risky that is. A magic caster that can fall back on melee skills if needed.

P4 Protag: Well rounded stat spread. Unlike most jack of all trades, all of his stats are average/above average (he has the highest stat total in the entire game). In particular, his endurance and SP stats are quite high so he can keep fighting for along time. In the lategame, he's nigh unkillable. Mudo immunity is invaluable, especially on Risky. A versatile fighter that can pretty much do anything.

I thought Sub Personas only influenced HP/SP and granted skills? I don't think they alter resistances.

aett

Just wasted my entire lunch break trying to get a copy from the nearby Frys. The website and their system showed the game as in stock, but they checked the shelves, warehouse, and even opened up all of that day's packages right in front of me but the game was nowhere to be found.

Now I'm trying to reserve it for in-store pickup at any other store on my way home but it's all out of stock. I might just download it but I really wanted those silly tarot cards.

P90

I'm still of the opinion that both Chie English voices are both bad and the fact people argue over which is better makes me sad.

Though the dub in Persona is pretty solid, except a few voices.

Also P3MC is weak to dark? That's crazy. That is super crazy. I'm rethinking my choice of going P3MC first and on risky difficulty.

^Here is more tears for you. Original Chie is best Chie. ;p

This game is my Christmas present. No playing it until then.

Seda

I hate Persona, but I love Etrian, would I like this?

If you dislike Persona because of Social Links, calendar structure, and repetitive randomized dungeons, then know Persona Q doesn't have these elements.

If you dislike Persona because you don't like the characters, dialogue, or persona-fusion mechanics, know Persona Q does incorporate these elements. (Persona Q has a lot of dialogue, even if the story itself is pretty skeletal.)

Battles are round-based, with a focus on elemental advantages similar to Persona.

I thought Sub Personas only influenced HP/SP and granted skills? I don't think they alter resistances.

If a Persona comes with a "Resist Dark" passive skill (as in, it actually occupies a skill slot), it would cancel out the weakness, I believe. I might be wrong though.

PK Gaming

If a Persona comes with a "Resist Dark" passive skill (as in, it actually occupies a skill slot), it would cancel out the weakness, I believe. I might be wrong though.

Ahhh.

Yeah, Personas that come with resist/null/etc skills will automatically overwrite resistances if they are superior.

I heard Alice was a good sub Persona for the P3 protag. I hope Thanatos also comes with resist Dark as well.

I get it Atlus, Youske likes nurses and the girls can't cook, does that really need bringing up in every single spinoff? I'm sure the nurses thing was literally one line in the original P4.

entremet

What do you hate about Persona? It'd help in answering.

Probably not. This is fanservice for P3 and P4 fans with some light Etrian trappings. It has much more of a story focus, and the game still really plays like Persona despite the Etrian influence.

They both have different stats and get access to different skills. The P3 hero is a mage and, despite getting a melee attack, is best in the back row thanks to having really high magic but low vitality. P4 Hero is a jack-of-all-trades, but unlike Zen, he doesn't have much going for him in his base skill set.

Unless the enemy is immune to all magic, the P3 hero will always out-damage the P4 hero, and even then, you have plenty of other, better muscle to pick up the slack. He does have better resistances, but that's easier to patch up than bad stats are.

Vague late-game story spoiler:
His exclusive skill is also the worst in the entire game, but there's another change that comes with getting that skill that makes him a good tank.
The pacing of both games. They both seemed to take forever before they got decent.

I also hated Social Links and Calendar day to day structure.

joe2187

Banned
been on hold with BB for nearly two hours.

Apparently there was no receipt issued for my $80 cash pre-order. only $5 pre-order charge.

which is odd since I pre-ordered Porject Diva and GTAV for the Xbone all on the same receipt and I currently have both of those games.

The only info about PersonaQ on my account shows a cancellation for my pre-order today and nothing else.

I think the BB clerk I pre-ordered with stole my money...

//ARCANUM

been on hold with BB for nearly two hours.

Apparently there was no receipt issued for my $80 cash pre-order. only $5 pre-order charge.

which is odd since I pre-ordered Porject Diva and GTAV for the Xbone all on the same receipt and I currently have both of those games.

The only info about PersonaQ on my account shows a cancellation for my pre-order today and nothing else.

I think the BB clerk I pre-ordered with stole my money...

before i got to the end of this post i was thinking "that best buy employee stole $75 from you"

Top Bottom