• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

picked up killzone...

ourumov

My impressions from the demo show a game that could be very good but that it's just something normal. In other words, it's clear the game was rushed.
But I don't think those who were excited about it find it horrible.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
has halo-like flashlight effect

Yeah, I really love the way they do that. It's still a per-vertex dynamic light, but they overlayed the beam texture on top of the light itself and managed to hide the triangles being highlighted. SIREN actually uses this same effect.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
t's still a per-vertex dynamic light, but they overlayed the beam texture on top of the light itself and managed to hide the triangles being highlighted. SIREN actually uses this same effect.
I'm not sure if that's it. The overlay texture is quite faint in Area 51, it wouldn't be able to hide trangles, and in fact I was not able to see any triangles. Maybe they use the real lightmap, I know SC:pT used that on PS2, I remember they even put in in the press release :p

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I cancelled my preorder a week or two before it was due to hit. Did I done good or did I done bad? ;)

(Not a huge FPS fan.)

dark10x

Marconelly said:
I'm not sure if that's it. The overlay texture is quite faint in Area 51, it wouldn't be able to hide trangles, and in fact I was not able to see any triangles. Maybe they use the real lightmap, I know SC:pT used that on PS2, I remember they even put in in the press release :p

Nah, I remember looking carefully, and you can see the triangles in certain situations (though it IS very well hidden).

I cancelled my preorder a week or two before it was due to hit. Did I done good or did I done bad? ;)

You done good. I got the game for dirt cheap, so I can't complain, but there are just too many technical flaws. Then again, people loved Goldeneye...and the framerate was even worse in that game.

Still, the game isn't bad...it just has a lot of small problems that compound together to damage the experience.

ced

I just got to the 7th mission and I think Im done with it.

This is the first game Ive ever felt like I cant play because of the framerate. I dont know what the hell you guys are playing that say the framerate is stable. I cant hardly fucking aim, and certainly cant track a moving target while firing ( this is when it really chugs). I have a feeling the AI is like it is so you can actually hit something.

I think the actual combat mechanics were excellent, its remained the same since level one, but its still fun. Move from room to room, or area to area and take cover. Then you just plug away at Helghast, duck and reload, then continue, I found it alot of fun.

Overall though, what a mess, and a shame.

Mejilan

Ah well. What a shame. I've been itching for a decent console FPS game for many moons. I actually picked up Half Life for the PS2, but I got bored watching the 10 minute or so introductory rail cutscene. That, and before I got to my first save opportunity, I got "stuck" into the first guard's model and couldn't move. Had to reset. That was the end of that. Ha!

dark10x

Mejilan said:
Ah well. What a shame. I've been itching for a decent console FPS game for many moons. I actually picked up Half Life for the PS2, but I got bored watching the 10 minute or so introductory rail cutscene. That, and before I got to my first save opportunity, I got "stuck" into the first guard's model and couldn't move. Had to reset. That was the end of that. Ha!

I hope that you've experienced Half-Life prior to the PS2 version, though...

What a shame to miss out on a true classic like that. :\

ced

Mejilan said:

Well if you own an xbox, I "think" theres this little game coming out tues.

Seriously though Id wait for 20$ so you dont have the feeling I did, paying 50$ for a defective product.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
The frame rate just gets worse later in the game :( Some awful glitches as well. I'm hoping reports of rampant cheating online are false...because that would seal the deal for me.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This is the first game Ive ever felt like I cant play because of the framerate. I dont know what the hell you guys are playing that say the framerate is stable. I cant hardly fucking aim, and certainly cant track a moving target while firing ( this is when it really chugs)
In the demo, I found the default controller sensitivity almost unplayable. I had to lower it dows quite a lot to be able to properly aim. I think that helps both in poor framerate situations, as your aim does not fly all over the place when the framerate gets choppy, but also while aiming at normal framerate, and for following moving targets.

tenchir

I am 30 minutes in and I haven't encounter any framerate issues. What I do notice though is that the PS2 controllers have horrible sensitivity. The dual shocks analog sticks are just not as good as XBOX's and GC's controllers. I always have trouble aiming at targets in any FPS for PS2.

tenchir

Played online for one game and it was GREAT. I sent Defensor and Musashi an invite. Too bad you can't make a clan(yet). Seems that you really need to learn how to sprint to surprise an enemy and not get killed.

I won't be able to play online till 10:00pm because I have plans tonight for a movie, but I can definitely play this game nightly around 8:00pm if we have enough people.

Mejilan

dark10x said:
I hope that you've experienced Half-Life prior to the PS2 version, though...

What a shame to miss out on a true classic like that. :\

I bought it for the PC a few months ago and played quite a bit beyond where I stopped on the PS2 version. I just don't like playing games on my computer however. And it isn't a very good computer either, so there are issues involved there.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
he dual shocks analog sticks are just not as good as XBOX's and GC's controllers. I always have trouble aiming at targets in any FPS for PS2.
That's actually because control implementations in all PS2 shooters suck. Killzone is one of the better attempts - if you lower the sensitivity down. If you try playing Halo on Xbox with PS2 controller and that controller adapter, you'd see that there's almost no difference, at least I couldn't see much of a difference. The aiming helpers they devised for Halo were quite ingenious, and to this day I don't think any game copied them fully and properly. Also, I've played Timesplitters 2 on PS2 and Xbox at the same time, and there was virtually no difference in control.

shpankey

not an idiot
It's not only Halo on Xbox with awesome controls. In fact, it isn't even the best. IMO, in order of greatness of control --not to be confused with "controls"--...

Return to Castle Wolfenstein (the speed turn button was genius! although that is actually controls and not control, but it still was nice)
Counter-Strike
Ghost Recon & Island Thunder
Halo & Halo 2
heck, even the shitty Brute Force had some nice control

all these really have impecable control on the Xbox. i think it's both hardware and software tho, some of it is the superior analog sticks and their better placement of the xbox controller, but most of it is how the developers coded the control into the game... i'd say like 75% of the greatness is the software code and 25% is the hardware (xbox's incredible analog sticks and triggers).

to prove this, i list some real "stinkers" in control for the xbox in the FPS dept...

Timesplitters *.*
Rainbow Six *.*
Chronicles of Riddick

that proves the good xbox controller can't overcome shitty programming. so in short, i agree with Marco :)

dark10x

tenchir said:
I am 30 minutes in and I haven't encounter any framerate issues. What I do notice though is that the PS2 controllers have horrible sensitivity. The dual shocks analog sticks are just not as good as XBOX's and GC's controllers. I always have trouble aiming at targets in any FPS for PS2.

Oh, there have been framerate issues...but perhaps you just haven't noticed them. :p This isn't a PC game here. Different PS2 systems are not going to offer wildly different performance...

That said, I'm finding the framerate more tolerable at this point. It is still pretty awful, but I've come to grips with it and am enjoying the game. I really have no idea why, as it seems so flawed, but I really am having fun playing it. It's not a bad game...

I think the mechanics are keeping me playing. The actual play mechanics are suprisingly solid. They really FEEL good and work in a reliable fashion. That's where games like Far Cry faltered so badly. The play mechanics were REALLY sloppy and just didn't work well. That isn't a problem here...

If only the technical issues had been cleaned up. :(

ced

Normally I have the common sense to try different analog settings, but I really felt like it was the framerate causing problems.

You guys are right, you need to turn the sensitivity as low as it will go, helps a ton. The framerate is still a problem, but not near as bad now.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
The only framerate drops I encountered where when a Helghast would try to to shoot me at point blank range with his shotgun.

jett

D-Member
tenchir said:
What I do notice though is that the PS2 controllers have horrible sensitivity. The dual shocks analog sticks are just not as good as XBOX's and GC's controllers.

Regardless of Killzone's faults, this is quite true. The DS sticks are pure crap.

Anyway, from reading this thread it seems the major problem this game has is an unstable framerate, but otherwise it's a fun FPS experience on the PS2. I may still buy this thing. :p

Mejilan

Don't forget the bad AI, Jett.

I'm not a huge fan of the DS analog sticks either, and honestly had more trouble adjusting to Half-Life PS2 than even TimeSplitters2 on the GCN, actually.

tenchir

Musashi Wins! said:
God, the game just owns online. It's a total blast. Didn't get your invite though, Tenchir.

Do I have to send the invite while you guys are on? And is it case sensitive?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
heck, even the shitty Brute Force had some nice control
I've heard those guys actually were given the Halo's aiming code and pasted it into their game, as their own aiming code sucked. Halo's aiming code is really well thought out, IMO. I couldn't even figure out everything it's doing but here are some things:
- Aim movement slows down ever so slightly when your aim passes over the enemies
- If the enemies move slowly once you aimed them, the aim will start following them to a certain degree, but if they move too fast, the aim loses them, so you have to 'help' by moving the stick to catch up with them.

I know there's more, but I haven't played the game in a while so I don't remember.

Paradoxically enough, I think the game that got the best FPS aiming system on PS2, might be none other than MGS2, which, at least on normal level, offers some small aiming helpers. They actually improved aiming even further in MGS3, and now it has much better sensitivity levels, and aiming feels very natural (at least in the demo that I've played)

The DS sticks are pure crap.
I really think that is one of the urban legends of this forum... I have never noticed much of a difference on sticks on any of the three controllers. I think people are mixing their preferences with real state of things, when it comes to this. (i.e. it's ok that left analog stick on GC and Xbox controller is moved up, because "that's where your thumb is naturally rested" but it's also OK that the right stick is located down there, because err... that's where your right thumb is naturally rested?)

You guys are right, you need to turn the sensitivity as low as it will go, helps a ton. The framerate is still a problem, but not near as bad now.
Yep, I have no idea why they set the default sensitivity the way they did. Maybe there are points in the game that require you to swing left/right/up/down very quickly, but in the demo, there was no trace of that. Slower, and more precision moving aim seemed much more useful to me.

I didn't turn it all the way down though, as that seemed a bit too slow, but I did set it almost all the way down. I actually turned up/down sensitivity lower than the left/right, as I assumed you never have to move aim quickly up and down, but you do need to be able to rotate left/right a bit quicker.

jett

D-Member
I really think that is one of the urban legends of this forum... I have never noticed much of a difference on sticks on any of the three controllers. I think people are mixing their preferences with real state of things, when it comes to this. (i.e. it's ok that left analog stick on GC and Xbox controller is moved up, because "that's where your thumb is naturally rested" but it's also OK that the right stick is located down there, because err... that's where your right thumb is naturally rested?)

...or maybe your huge sony bias is blinding you from the truth? :p jk. But, uh, seriously, the PS2 sticks feel the worst of the bunch to me. Even back to the 32/64 bit gen, the N64's analog stick was better by a mile.

jett said:
...or maybe your huge sony bias is blinding you from the truth? :p jk. But, uh, seriously, the PS2 sticks feel the worst of the bunch to me. Even back to the 32/64 bit gen, the N64's analog stick was better by a mile.

No. It's a myth perpetuated by Sony Haters :D

The DS to me are the absolute best controllers ever designed. I will certainly agree that the triggers work quite well for shooters and racing games, but at the loss of the shoulder button functionality. The "looseness" of the analog sticks is way overstated. It's certainly the case that the Xbox's analog sticks are quite a bit more "tight", but neither one affects the actual playability of any game. I have the same amount and preciseness of control with either controller.

And please, both Nintendo controllers are absolute crap, IMO. Buttons are important to gameplay and both the N64 & GC make their manipulation a real pain in the ass.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
.or maybe your huge sony bias is blinding you from the truth? :p jk.
Regardless of that, I think what I wrote above is a good example when people take something about controllers they got used to, and claim it's better than something they are not used to - even though it logically makes no sense, if you stop and think about it for a second.

jett

D-Member
And please, both Nintendo controllers are absolute crap, IMO. Buttons are important to gameplay and both the N64 & GC make their manipulation a real pain in the ass.

"Please", I'm just talking about the analog sticks.

Top Bottom