• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pilot Season 2012-2013 - Bringing you the next Whitney!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

I don't know, maybe the people who never saw Six Degrees, What About Brian, Undercovers, or Morning Glory!

Hey, Morning Glory was relatively classy for a chick flick. At least it wasn't wholly predictable. I know that's not the point, but still :p

Undercovers I have no excuse for, and I love me some Gugu Mbatha-Raw. Undercovers is not the worst TV show she's ever been in, though. I don't think this clip has the immortal "GIVE UP YOUR SECRETS!" line, unfortunately, but that was priceless.

ivysaur12

Banned
Hey, Morning Glory was relatively classy for a chick flick. At least it wasn't wholly predictable. I know that's not the point, but still :p

Undercovers I have no excuse for, and I love me some Gugu Mbatha-Raw. Undercovers is not the worst TV show she's ever been in, though. I don't think this clip has the immortal "GIVE UP YOUR SECRETS!" line, unfortunately, but that was priceless.

I thought Morning Glory was one of the better chick flicks I've seen. Dosen't change the fact that:

Budget $40 million[1]
Box office $58,785,180[2]

ivysaur12

Banned
Fox picks up female spy drama from Josh Friedman:

Fox has given a pilot order to The Asset, Josh Freidman’s female-centered action drama, which had a put pilot commitment at the network. The project, from 20th Century Fox TV, is described as a character-driven drama set in the New York office of the CIA, which centers on a female agent. The premise evokes such series as ABC’s Alias and USA Network’s Covert Affairs. This is the third consecutive pilot for Friedman at Fox following Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, which went to series, and last year’s Locke & Key. The order to Asset brings the number of drama pilots picked up by Fox to 3, including the Marc Guggenheim/Greg Berlanti legal drama Guilty and a serial killer drama by Kevin Williamson. That leaves 2 more available slots as the network is looking to order a total of 5 drama pilots this season.

ivysaur12

Banned
http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/5-actots-cast-in-nbc-pilot-beautiful-people/#utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Beautiful People casting notes:

Andrea Parker, Jud Tylor, Megalyn Echikunwoke, Madisen Beatey and Cody Christianhave been added to the cast of NBC’s drama pilot Beautiful People. The project, written by Michael McDonald, is set in the near future in a society where humans co-exist with mechanical androids that look like people but are treated like second-class citizens. It centers on the very wealthy Lydia (Frances Conroy) whose late husband founded the firm that makes Mechanicals. Parker will play the wealthy Roberta whose life is turned upside down when her rebellious teen daughter (Beatey) starts a romance with a Mechanical boy (Christian) who is the son of Lydia’s Mechanical servant David (Patrick Heusinger) and his wife Susan (Jud Tylor), also a Mechanical. Echikunwoke will play the boss of Lydia’s other son, attorney Gregory (James Murray).

ivysaur12

Banned
Two new ones: CBS and Fox

Spy drama at Fox

http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/fox-greenlights-drama-about-teen-spy/

Fox has given a pilot order to a spy drama written by Karyn Usher (The Playboy Club). The procedural thriller centers on the orphaned 17-year-old daughter of a CIA operative who is recruited to become an operative herself. It hails from 20th Century Fox TV and Mary Adelstein and Shawn Levy’s studio-based 21 Laps/Adelstein Prods. Usher, Adelstein, Becky Clements and Levy are executive producing. The project, which originally sold to Fox in September with a significant penalty, stems from an idea by Adelstein. He approached Usher, who also is under an overall deal at 20th TV, to find out that she had been thinking about a similar premise.

This is the duo’s third project and first pilot together. Adelstein first met Usher on the Fox/20th TV drama Prison Break, which Adelstein executive produced and on which Usher started off as a co-producer and eventually rose to co-executive producer. The two later developed a U.S. version of the British format Daylight Robbery. The order to Usher’s project comes on the heels of Fox’s order to Josh Friedman’s drama, which also is about a female spy. (Fox seems determined to break that arena this season.) This brings the number of drama pilots picked up by the network to four, including the previously greenlighted Marc Guggenheim/Greg Berlanti legal drama Guilty and a serial killer drama by Kevin Williamson. Fox entertainment president Kevin Reilly indicated earlier this month that he is looking to order five drama pilots.

So they have one more they're going to order. We'll see!

CBS picks up Trooper to pilot

http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/cbs-picks-up-jerry-bruckheimer-procedural/

CBS has greenlighted to pilot Trooper, a character-based procedural drama from Jerry Bruckheimer Television and Warner Bros. The project, written by Aron Eli Coleite (NBC’s Heroes), centers on a common-sense mother-turned-New York state trooper. Coleite, Bruckheimer and Jonathan Littman are executive producing, with Bruckheimer TV’s KristieAnne Reed co-executive producing. Trooper was one of the first major sales this season, landing a put pilot commitment in August. It was a very active selling season for Bruckheimer TV with four significant commitments, including three put pilots for Trooper, a Navy SEALs drama at ABC and a 1980s wrestling show at NBC. The pickup for Trooper brings the company back in series contention after sitting last pilot season out with no production order for the first time in a decade. Coleite’s fortunes have risen fast since the August sale of Trooper to CBS. In the past few months, he saw his feature spec The End sell to Warner Bros and land on the 2011 Black List, while his pitch Hellbent went to New Regency.

Is "Arrow" a Smallville spin-off or are they planning on doing a proper Green Arrow show?

Will watch the new Shawn Ryan and Mac's new comedy.
Is anyone that was involved in Terriers besides Shawn Ryan doing anything these days? That might have been my favourite show of all time

ivysaur12

Banned
Is "Arrow" a Smallville spin-off or are they planning on doing a proper Green Arrow show?

Will watch the new Shawn Ryan and Mac's new comedy.
Is anyone that was involved in Terriers besides Shawn Ryan doing anything these days? That might have been my favourite show of all time

Proper show, not a spin off. Different actor.

I am more interested in the struggling networks then the CBS's of the world.

It seems like the CW is doubling down on the teenage girl and geek market, but still planning on ordering more?

The only thing on NBC I am interested in is if Midnight Sun turns out well.

I find all of CBS's pilots to be ridiculous. I don't know how any of ABC's dramas move past the first half season, especially since the election would have already taken place for the Emmerich one.

And two female CIA agent pilots on Fox, amazing.

ivysaur12

Banned
I am more interested in the struggling networks then the CBS's of the world.

It seems like the CW is doubling down on the teenage girl and geek market, but still planning on ordering more?

The only thing on NBC I am interested in is if Midnight Sun turns out well.

I find all of CBS's pilots to be ridiculous. I don't know how any of ABC's dramas move past the first half season, especially since the election would have already taken place for the Emmerich one.

And two female CIA agent pilots on Fox, amazing.

They'll only pick up one drama pilot. The Western is supposed to be really good. Pilars of Smoke (or, I guess, Midnight Sun now) is also supposed to be cool, but we'll see.

Nothing really stands out, but then again, neither would have some shows like The Good Wife in their log lines.

Only show that's jumping out at me is The Munsters. Bryan Fuller's whimsical style is the perfect fit and i can't wait to see what he does with it. They just need to get Barry Sonnenfeld to direct the Pilot and it will be guaranteed to be awesome. His Pushing Daisies episodes were gorgeous.

Only show that's jumping out at me is The Munsters. Bryan Fuller's whimsical style is the perfect fit and i can't wait to see what he does with it. They just need to get Barry Sonnenfeld to direct the Pilot and it will be guaranteed to be awesome. His Pushing Daisies episodes were gorgeous.

I will only watch if they cast Anna Friel.

ivysaur12

Banned
Is it late Friday? Time to order some pilots! I get the feeling that GAF is gonna be an ABC fan next year...

http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/abc-picks-up-supernatural-drama-pilot/#utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

ABC has given the green light to 666 Park Ave, a drama pilot from writer David Wilcox (Fringe), Warner Bros. TV and Alloy Entertainment. Based on Alloy’s book series by Gabriella Pierce, the show is set up at a historic apartment buildings in New York City and centers on a young couple who become its managers. They unwittingly begin to experience supernatural occurrences, which complicate and endanger the lives of everyone in the residence. Wilcox is executive producing 666 Park Ave with Leslie Morgenstein and Gina Girolamo. Wilcox most recently served as a co-executive producer on Fox’s Fringe. He previously held the same position on ABC’s Life On Mars and NBC’s Law & Order. ABC chief Paul Lee previously worked with Alloy at ABC Family where he developed and greenlighted the Alloy/WBTV-produced hit Pretty Little Liars. This is the second ABC drama pilot set at a New York residential building. The network also greenlighted Shonda Rhimes/KL Steinberg’s Gilded Lillys, which takes place at a luxury NYC hotel in 1895.

666! Get it? ....Like the devil!

There still are a lot of pilots that have yet to get picked up, except for Fox's drama pilots. And it still remains to be seen if the CW is going to go for comedy.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Here come the American Horror Story clones. :/ (or what sounds like a clone, it may not be)

Now's the time for Darren Aronofsky and John J. McLaughlin to get back to shopping Riverview Towers around. That was in development at HBO and then AMC for awhile. That was also about a family that moved into an apartment complex that housed some kind of paranormal activity.

ivysaur12

Banned
Too much? :p I'm mainly interested in the munsters, Sarah and Bunheads so if you're able to provide it for those three, that'd be awesome.

K. I'm probably gonna do Sarah, Munsters, K Williams serial killer, Midnight Sun, and Beautiful People as the first batch.

Patryn

Didn't Kevin Williamson already have a serial killer show on TV in the waning days of the WB? Glory Days or something?

Then again, wasn't the whole killer thing something foisted on him, when he just wanted to do a show about high school friends reuniting or something?

ivysaur12

Banned
On page 5 of Midnight Sun. At least four characters have been described as some form of the word "sexy". This is also the dumbest.

NBC's lineup looks shitty, AGAIN.

I thought Greenblatt was supposed to "fix" NBC. I don't see anything which looks like it'll save the network.

anaron

I'm having my eye roll quota. Midnight Sun is already getting close on page... 17.

Also, the black woman (23, sexy) has a knack for saying "honey." KILL ME.

t4uzS.gif

The shit that makes it to just the pilot stage is astounding sometimes.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
NBC's lineup looks shitty, AGAIN.

I thought Greenblatt was supposed to "fix" NBC. I don't see anything which looks like it'll save the network.

It really doesn't seem like he's doing anything different, like at all.

ivysaur12

Banned
It really doesn't seem like he's doing anything different, like at all.

They just picked up 2 new shows today. One is a Katims medical drama. I get shitty wifi here, so someone can post the stuff from Deadline. Apparently they're gonna pick up a lot today.

So Midnight Sun halfway through - very paint-by-numbers, almost Happy Town-esque. Weird and serialized just because it's weird and serialized. The one good thing about it is that the main character would have a watchable personality, even if some of the logic in this is mindblowingly strange. And I'm almost at the end of Act 2 and almost nothing has happened. Compare this to The River or Awake which were page turners in every sense of the word.

EDIT: That's your Act 2 ending? Right. Okay.

anaron

NBC Picks Up 6 Comedies Including Roseanne Barr-Starring ‘Downwardly Mobile’

NBC has picked up 3 more comedy pilots, Daddy’s Girl, a spec by Dana Klein produced by Aaron Kaplan, and projects by Hilary Winston and Stephen Falk. Here are details:

DADDY’S GIRL (20th/Kapital Entertainment) EP/W Dana Klein EP Aaron Kaplan
A young woman returns home from overseas to find her father is seriously dating the “mean girl” from her high school.  Multi-camera.

NEXT CALLER PLEASE
EXP: Stephen Falk
Lionsgate Television
A single-camera gender comedy focusing on a brash alpha male DJ and his new, plucky, feminist co-host set in the offices of a satellite radio station
UNT. HILARY WINSTON
EXP/W: Hilary Winston
EXP: Jamie Tarses
Sony Pictures Television
After being dumped by her fiance, a shy, focused woman leans on her co-workers to help her come out of her shell and plot her revenge. (Single-camera)

ivysaur12

Banned
Hilary Winston is awesome. Good for her. She's done so well on Happy Endings and her book is great.

CBS -

CBS made it official, greenlighting hot drama project Golden Boy to pilot. The drama, written and executive produced by Nicholas Wootton and executive produced by Greg Berlanti, hails from Warner Bros. Television. It had a put pilot commitment. It is a show about the making of a man – tracks one cop’s meteoric rise from officer to detective to Police Commissioner.

NBC -

2nd UPDATE: NBC added 2 more comedy orders to its pilot haul today, Greg Daniels’ adaptation of the British comedy Friday Night Dinner and an untitled half-hour produced by Jimmy Fallon. Here are details:

UNT. JIMMY FALLON

EXP: Jimmy Fallon, Amy Ozols

EXP/W: Charlie Grandy

Universal Television/Holiday Road

Three 30-something guys enjoy the adventures of parenting despite the fact they haven’t grown up themselves. (Multi-camera). Jimmy Fallon is Executive Producer.

FRIDAY NIGHT DINNER

EXP/W: Greg Daniels

EXP: Howard Kline, Big Talk Television

Universal Television

Based on the UK format, this single-camera about a quirky family that has dinner together every Friday night is adapted by Emmy-winning creator Greg Daniels (THE OFFICE).

UPDATE: NBC has picked up 3 more comedy pilots, Daddy’s Girl, a spec by Dana Klein produced by Aaron Kaplan, and projects by Hilary Winston and Stephen Falk. Here are details:

DADDY’S GIRL (20th/Kapital Entertainment) EP/W Dana Klein EP Aaron Kaplan

A young woman returns home from overseas to find her father is seriously dating the “mean girl” from her high school. Multi-camera.

NEXT CALLER PLEASE

EXP: Stephen Falk

Lionsgate Television

A single-camera gender comedy focusing on a brash alpha male DJ and his new, plucky, feminist co-host set in the offices of a satellite radio station.
UNT. HILARY WINSTON

EXP/W: Hilary Winston

EXP: Jamie Tarses

Sony Pictures Television

After being dumped by her fiance, a shy, focused woman leans on her co-workers to help her come out of her shell and plot her revenge. (Single-camera)

PREVIOUS: NBC continued its busy pilot pickup day with green lights to 3 comedies, Downwardly Mobile, starring Roseanne alumna Roseanne Barr in her return to scripted comedy; Go On, from Friends alum Scott Silveri; and Animal Kingdom, from producers Scot Armstrong and Ravi Nandan. Downwardly Mobile hails from 20th TV, Go On and Animal Kingdom are produced by Universal TV. Here are descriptions of the projects:

Co-created by Barr, her boyfriend John Argent and former Roseanne executive producer Eric Gilliland, who will serve as showrunner, the multi-camera Downwardly Mobile stars Barr as the proprietor of a mobile home park and surrogate mother to all of the unique people who live there in a challenging economy. Barr and Gilliland wrote the script and are executive producing with Argent.

The single-camera Go On, written and executive produced by Scott Silveri, centers on an irreverent yet charming sportscaster who tries to move on from loss and reluctantly finds surprising solace from the members of his mandatory group therapy sessions. Animal Kingdom, also single-camera, is an office comedy centered on a “House”-like veterinarian, who loves animals but usually hates their owners. Brian Gatewood and Alex Tanaka wrote the script and are executive producing with American Work’s Scot Armstrong and Ravi Nandan.

Will update the OP. Also, Midnight Sun is stupid.

ivysaur12

Banned
Last Resort is good. I didn't love it (it was hard to understand the military jargon), but it was a really well done pilot. A little morally "safe" on the character side (even though their actions weren't), but it's a network drama. The pilot is also called "Captain," which makes sense in the context of the show (and is the "pilot" of a submarine).

Gonna start Hilary Winston now.

EDIT: This is great. I've laughed out loud a few times, which doesn't happen often. And I'm on page 6. I also love that there's a non-white gay character, and it's introduced pretty organically. Great job.

ivysaur12

Banned
Oh wow, you have Hilary's already? Hope it's good. :)

So far, it's the best one I've read... But I've only read Midnight Sun, Last Resort, and now Hilary Winston. But this is very good. It definitely has a Community and Happy Endings vibe to it, especially in the pilot.

anaron

So far, it's the best one I've read... But I've only read Midnight Sun, Last Resort, and now Hilary Winston. But this is very good. It definitely has a Community and Happy Endings vibe to it, especially in the pilot.

Well that's great to hear. She's such a hilarious writer and I hope this pans out for her, she deserves it.

Not interested in bloated ass, tedious 22 episode seasons anymore. I long for the day that big networks understand that 10 to 13 is the magic number.

Shurs

It got 26 episodes. Two half seasons. That's as close to a bomb as you can get in television past one season.

I know you're trying to back up a point you were making -- one which I agree with, by the way -- but you're stretching here.

A bomb implies a complete and utter failure of a show.

How To Be A Gentleman is a bomb.
Work It is a bomb.
Undercovers, while not on the same level as the two shows listed above, is a bomb.

What About Brian is forgettable, but it's not a bomb.

ivysaur12

Banned
I know you're trying to back up a point you were making -- one which I agree with, by the way -- but you're stretching here.

A bomb implies a complete and utter failure of a show.

How To Be A Gentleman is a bomb.
Work It is a bomb.
Undercovers, while not on the same level as the two shows listed above, is a bomb.

What About Brian is forgettable, but it's not a bomb.

A show that can only manage to get a marginal renewal during some of ABC's worst years of the last decade means a failure. It's the same with other similar shows - something like Notes From the Underbelly - that failed to perform after moderately rated first seasons. Straight up bomb? Maybe not. Failure? Absolutely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom