• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pilot Season 2012-2013 - Bringing you the next Whitney!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
After page 5, much better. But it's got some terrible exposition and a few 9/11 references. A good Nancy Grace joke. I'm not hating it.

I enjoyed Midnight Sun as much as Happy Town, so it'll be hard to beat (?) that.

Huh. Do they describe what the Beast looks like? Is he furry like in the Disney movie, or is he more human and tattooed like in Beastly? I don't know why I'm so curious about this, btw. I probably won't even watch it.

ivysaur12

Banned
Huh. Do they describe what the Beast looks like? Is he furry like in the Disney movie, or is he more human and tattooed like in Beastly? I don't know why I'm so curious about this, btw. I probably won't even watch it.

Seems more in line with the original, but that could all change depending on casting, art, and testing.

EDIT: I'll give it to the writers, there is some fun humor outside of the dialog.

Basch

Will keep an eye on:

Cult
Arrow
The Munsters
Do No Harm
Midnight Sun
Gilded Lillys
Last Resort
666 Park Ave
The Asset

Oh, forgot The Selection, and probably most importantly Revolution

beat

ABC picked up what are probably its last dramas.

I'm bored at work, what do you want me to read? I am open to:

Munsters, Beautiful People, Untitled Kevin Williamson, The Asset, CW Beauty and the Beast, Arrow, ABC Beauty and the Beast, Quean, The Selection, Gotham

Untitled Sarah Silverman, Super Fun Night, Living Loaded, The New Normal, Partners, Untitled Louis CK, "Oh Fuck, It's You" (No idea, but sounds great), Untitled Mindy Kaling

Would like to hear your thoughts on Munsters and the untitled Mindy Kaling show. And Beautiful People after that if you still have time.

anaron

Phillip Noyce, Joe & Anthony Russo And Alex Graves Set To Direct Pilot

Anthony and Joe Russo will direct and executive produce the NBC single-camera comedy pilot Animal Kingdom. The office comedy centers on a House-like veterinarian who loves animals but usually hates their owners. Brian Gatewood and Alex Tanaka wrote the script and are executive producing with the Russos, Scot Armstrong and Ravi Nandan for Universal TV and American Work. The Russo brothers will direct the pilot as part of the two-year exclusive development deal they signed with Universal TV last summer. Anthony and Joe Russo, repped by WME and 3 Arts, won an Emmy for directing the pilot for Fox’s Arrested Development. The two went on to direct the pilots and executive produce NBC’s Community and ABC’s Happy Endings.

Alex Graves has signed on to direct ABC’s drama pilot 666 Park Ave. Based on Alloy’s book series by Gabriella Pierce, the show is set up at a historic apartment building in New York City and centers on a young couple who become its managers. They unwittingly begin to experience supernatural occurrences, which complicate and endanger the lives of everyone in the residence. David Wilcox (Fringe) wrote the script and is executive producing the pilot with Leslie Morgenstein and Gina Girolamo. Warner Bros. TV and Alloy Entertainment produce. Graves most recently directed the opening 2 hours of Fox’s Terra Nova. He also directed the pilot for the Fox sci-fi series Fringe, on which Wilcox later worked as a co-executive producer.

More of the Russo bros is always a good thing. :)

anaron

ABC Adds Comedy Pilots From Reba McEntire, 'That '70s Show' Duo

ABC has picked up a pair of comedy projects, including one written by and starring Reba McEntire
McEntire is attached to executive produce and star in Malibu Country,a multicamera comedy from ABC Studios.
The half-hour project centers on Reba, who divorces her cheating husband and moves her family from Nashville to Malibu. There she'll try to reignite her own singing career and keep herself and three kids from being corrupted by the materialistic and rarified Malibu world she now calls home.

The project counts Kevin Abbott as a writer, with Narvel Blackstock (McEntire's manager), Laura Ziskin Productions' Pam Williams, Dave Stewart (former of the Eurythmics) and Acme Productions' Mindy Schultheis and Michael Hanel.
For their part, husband and wife duo Jackie and Jeff Filgo (That '70s Show, The New Adventures of Old Christine) will wrirte and executive produce Prairie Dogs, a half-hour single-camera project from ABC Studios.

The vehicle revolves around Neil, an uncool cubicle worker (“prairie dog”) at one of the coolest companies in the world, who is the victim of identity theft. When he discovers the thief has created a much more fulfilling, kick ass life with his identity than he ever has, he engages the charismatic conman to help him change his life.

Reba sure has a thing with cheating husbands

ivysaur12

Banned
Fuck I want a job, please pick up one of the Will Gluck pilots...

In other news, Kevin Williamson's serial killer drama (now with, get this, KEVIN BACON) is fucked up. I'm not sure if it's necessarily good. But it's fucked up. And it's easily the best drama pilot I've read so far.

Gonna start The Selection now, which was pitched as "The Hunger games meets The Bachelorette". Okay.

EDIT: Well, that was the best description ever actually.

EDIT 2: By far the easiest read. I'm just not sure if it's necessarily "good" (it certainly is an interesting premise). There are some weird pacing issues, as in, nothing really happens during the middle of the script. The tension doesn't read well. Fairly one dimensional characters and a very stereotypical protagonist.

It seems more like a poor man's Revenge. But with the right casting and such, it could be good. It's timely (with The Hunger Games coming out) and has a good team behind it. And these types of high concept pilots are always hard to pull off.

Sloane

Banned
Something from the sunny team?
Fucking awesome!
As much as I love Always Sunny, everything else their company has done was mediocre at best -- except for "Boldly Going Nowhere" which was a fun read (basically Always Sunny in space) but it never went past a pilot or two.

Edit: Then again, How to be a Gentleman and Unsupervised were David Hornsby's shows, I think, while this one is co-created by Rob. We'll see.

Busty

Banned
I didn't like it. The more I think about it, the more I like it less.

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I liked the concept but I'm not sure if it sounds like a broadcast TV format or not. I can't imagine it's going to be cheap to make a pilot for a 'futuristic' submarine show.

I'd have thought Sony would have had it's fingers burnt after the $10m+ it dropped on the Pan Am pilot went up in smoke.

I wonder if, at the end of the day, ABC and Sony really want to go for such an (I imagine) expensive serialised show?

Incidentally I don't suppose you've heard anything about Revolution over at NBC? The buzz isn't great....,apparently.

ivysaur12

Banned
Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I liked the concept but I'm not sure if it sounds like a broadcast TV format or not. I can't imagine it's going to be cheap to make a pilot for a 'futuristic' submarine show.

I'd have thought Sony would have had it's fingers burnt after the $10m+ it dropped on the Pan Am pilot went up in smoke.

I wonder if, at the end of the day, ABC and Sony really want to go for such an (I imagine) expensive serialised show?

Incidentally I don't suppose you've heard anything about Revolution over at NBC? The buzz isn't great....,apparently.

Revolution just got picked up (some agent just saved his career). I can ask around, but there is absolutely ZERO chance I'll be able to get my hands on that script.

To be fair, I'm not quite sure how expensive Last Resort will be. The submarine sets will be extremely limited and the only other real sets aren't that big either. The most expensive part of the project will be the CGI for the boat (and an attack, at one point), and a special effect towards the end. It'll still be expensive, but I don't expect anything earth shattering like on Pan Am with its World Port set.

My issues with Last Resort are its bland, networkized characters, leaps of logic, and a rather silly set of coincidences that set the premise. The notion that they had to become a sovereign nation at the end of the pilot really hurts it, when that aspect should have development much more slowly. But ABC would never allow that to happen, so what we got is extremely rushed. And the cast should be cut in half.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Revolution:
A high octane action drama from J. J. Abrams following a group of characters struggling to survive and reunite with loved ones in a world where all forms of energy have mysteriously ceased to exist.
All forms of energy have disappeared? Uh huh.

My issues with Last Resort are its bland, networkized characters, leaps of logic, and a rather silly set of coincidences that set the premise. The notion that they had to become a sovereign nation at the end of the pilot really hurts it, when that aspect should have development much more slowly. But ABC would never allow that to happen, so what we got is extremely rushed. And the cast should be cut in half.

So many network dramas have serious cast bloat. Writing a small number of good, compelling characters is hard, so they go with quantity. And it's not like they have the patience or ability to do slow-burning development like you'd see on HBO's dramas.

ivysaur12

Banned
Revolution:

All forms of energy have disappeared? Uh huh.

So many network dramas have serious cast bloat. Writing a small number of good, compelling characters is hard, so they go with quantity. And it's not like they have the patience or ability to do slow-burning development like you'd see on HBO's dramas.

There's about a dozen characters, most of them with only a few lines. And I believe they're all regulars.

I take back what I said about cost. That will drive costs up.

ivysaur12

Banned
Quean was the only CBS pilot I had any interest in. I'm on page 19 and can't bring myself to read anymore. Holy exposition balls, Batman.

Busty

Banned
To be fair, I'm not quite sure how expensive Last Resort will be. The submarine sets will be extremely limited and the only other real sets aren't that big either. The most expensive part of the project will be the CGI for the boat (and an attack, at one point), and a special effect towards the end. It'll still be expensive, but I don't expect anything earth shattering like on Pan Am with its World Port set.

There's about a dozen characters, most of them with only a few lines. And I believe they're all regulars.

I take back what I said about cost. That will drive costs up.

It sounds ambitious which is a good thing for network TV but I'm still not sure where the ABC weekly TV show is in all that.

In saying that Shawn Ryan's attempt to do a 'WIRE esque network' drama in the Chicago Code may not have achieved it's loft goal but I still really enjoyed it.

But what's the betting that Last Resort has so many characters because Shawn Ryan intends to pick some of them off during the course of the first season?

Revolution just got picked up (some agent just saved his career)....

It's clear that NBC aren't wildly enthusiastic about the project (yet) which is why all the articles about the pilot mention that $2m 'put pilot' penalty that's attached to the project. It's probably where all the rumours (including the ones I heard) came from.

I suspect the fact it's from WB rather than Universal/NBC plays a big part in it as well. But I'm sure that NBC didn't want to reject a project from Abrams two years in a row. All in all I bet that Greenblatt felt that he was painted into a corner with this decision.

All in all Revolution sounds interesting. Sort of like Lost meets Walking Dead (without the zombies presumably) on a broadcast network. It's early I know but I wouldn't be surprised if NBC did pick this up in some fashion for next season unless they want Beautiful People as their only/main sci-fi show on the schedule.

Quean was the only CBS pilot I had any interest in.

I like their choice of director for the pilot but it seems that Joel Silver gets a pilot picked up by CBS every year and it never gets picked up.

Perhaps a sanitised TV version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is the way to go?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Not sure why Whitney continues to get shat upon. It wasn't even the worst show to premiere last time.

You guys are awful human beings.

anaron

I lot of my friends worked for Intersect. This was not a good day, haha.

Ah crap, sorry man. :( I was actually really rooting for both to be picked up - Intercept especially seemed so far out of their demographic and for that alone, I would have liked to see it on the network.

ivysaur12

Banned
Ah crap, sorry man. :( I was actually really rooting for both to be picked up - Interept especially seemed so far out of their demographic and for that alone, I would have liked to see it on the network.

(Intercept, sorry, was just reading something on Chuck)

Yeah, I would have too. It would have been fun to work on, too. Ah, well.

anaron

(Intercept, sorry, was just reading something on Chuck)

Yeah, I would have too. It would have been fun to work on, too. Ah, well.

It would have provided a job opportunity for yourself too? *again* really sorry.
And I'm sorry for when I make an OT for Bunheads.

Considering their schedule I'm really surprised/annoyed they couldn't have at least kept it in contention for a little longer.

ivysaur12

Banned
Too bad, ivy :(

it's a topic title joke relaaaaaax

I mean, I don't think it's the pilot I'll end up working on this season anyways. And that's all depending on how a few more long-term job stuff go. Ideally, I'd want to start moving towards studio work over the next month while applying via friends after the pickups come. Or, just work on some established show that inevitably have openings after their staff leave to get better jobs at new shows.

Just... no more personal assisting or script reading. :(

It would have provided a job oppurunity for yourself too? *again* really sorry.
And I'm sorry for when I make an OT for Bunheads.

Considering their schedule I'm really surprised/annoyed they couldn't have at least kept it in contention for a little longer.

Yeah, I could have gotten a Writer's PA position on it. Ah, well. There are more shows.

anaron

Pilot Scoop: ABC Orders Mandy Moore Comedy

ABC has ordered a half-hour single camera comedy pilot starring Mandy Moore.
The untitled project centers on newlyweds Annie (Mandy Moore) and Ben, who open a hip, new restaurant in Annie’s hometown bringing her closer to her needy and high maintenance family.
Shawn Levy (Date Night) is attached to executive produce and direct the pilot. Bob Fisher (Traffic Light) and Stacy Traub (Notes From the Underbelly) penned the script

anaron

Bunheads *official* pick up press release.

BURBANK, CA (February 8, 2012) – ABC Family continues to expand its original programming slate, giving the greenlight to the new drama series “Bunheads” (working title), it was announced today by Michael Riley, president, ABC Family.

Executive-produced by Amy Sherman-Palladino (“Gilmore Girls”) and headlined by Tony Award-winning actor Sutton Foster, “Bunheads” is the tale of a Las Vegas showgirl who impulsively marries a man, moves to his sleepy coastal town, and takes an uneasy role at her new mother-in-law’s dance school.

“Bunheads” joins ABC Family’s recently announced new original series, comedy “Baby Daddy” and unscripted “Beverly Hills Nannies.” All three series will begin production in Spring 2012.
Kate Juergens, executive vice president, Original Programming and Development, ABC Family added, “Amy and I had a great collaboration on ‘Gilmore Girls,’ which continues to find new fans here on ABC Family, and I look forward to this new partnership being just as successful. Her vision for ‘Bunheads’ aligns beautifully with our brand and is a wonderful addition to ABC Family’s original programming slate. I know our Millennial audience is going to fall in love with Sutton Foster the same way Broadway has.

anaron

TV castings for Last Resort and Cult.

Daisy Betts (Harry’s Law) has joined the cast of ABC’s drama pilot Last Resort starring Andre Braugher. The Sony TV-produced project centers on the crew of the U.S.S. Nevada, a nuclear submarine, who, after disobeying a suspicious order, become fugitives. They land on the island of Sainte Marina, where they take over the NATO Listening Station and declare themselves an independent nuclear nation. Betts will play a member of the crew, Lt. Grace Shepard, the daughter of an Admiral father who is new to the sub and to command positions.

Alona Tal been cast in the CW drama pilot Cult. The project, from Warner Bros. TV and Fake Empire, centers on Skye (Jessica Lucas), an inquisitive, young female production assistant on a wildly popular television show called Cult who, after a rash of disappearances and a likely murder, joins a journalist blogger in investigating the rabid fans of the series who might be re-creating crimes seen on the program in real life. Tal, repped by Innovative & McKeon Myones, will play an actress portraying a young LAPD detective on the show

ivysaur12

Banned
Roseanne Barr and John Goodman are together in a comedy pilot. Ugh.

Ryan Phillipe is in Golden Boy at CBS. Gonna have to read the script.

Surprising that the female lead on Arrow hasn't broke on Deadline yet. It was finished yesterday.

big ander

Hannibal...on primetime network TV? Hm.
Fuller being attached doesn't immediately have me liking it because I've not yet seen Pushing Daisies, Dead Like Me, and Wonderfalls. I have seen Heroes though. Oh boy.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Hannibal...on primetime network TV? Hm.
Fuller being attached doesn't immediately have me liking it because I've not yet seen Pushing Daisies, Dead Like Me, and Wonderfalls. I have seen Heroes though. Oh boy.

He pretty much only worked on season 1 of Heroes. (he also did the only good episode in season 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom