• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pilot Season 2012-2013 - Bringing you the next Whitney!

Status
Not open for further replies.

beat

Yeah, there are far too many factors in television to be able to guarantee anything. But at least with Fuller you have a pretty good idea he'll at least be doing his best to make a quality show.
Unless he pulls a Hurwitz (put his whole heart and soul into a commercially unsuccessful show; broken spirit in his next one*). Just saying.

* OK, I don't know that Hurwitz was a broken man, but he was clearly trying for commercial success in Running Wilde by holding way back on the quirkiness and comedy density.

The point is that no one remembers/will ever remember Six Degrees, What About Brian, and Undercovers. Bombs in every sense of the word.
I actually still remember Six Degrees. But I have a huge soft spot for anything set in New York. I even watched Jennifer Love Hewitt's terrible show partly for the NYC factor.

Sweet. I was just thinking how much I liked Terminator:TSCC. Hope this one gets picked up.

So... is NBC positioning this as a straight drama? The description sounds sci-fi all the way.

Hilary Winston is awesome. Good for her. She's done so well on Happy Endings and her book is great.
Agreed! I liked her book a lot.

I think I've enjoyed every Bill Lawrence show I've ever watched. Except Nobody's Watching, but I'm not sure if that counts.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'll update the thread later, sorry, it's been a long day. I also just started Antichrist (the Emmerich ABC drama). So far, it's, uh... not great and extremely bizarre. And not good bizarre.

ivysaur12

Banned
Team Coco got a pilot order on CBS with Kristen Wiig's awkward Australian roommate from Bridesmaids starring. About awkward girls that decide that every week they'll have a "funcomfortable" attempt to have a girls' night out. Called Super Fun Night. Multicam, but could be good.

ivysaur12

Banned
ABC just picked up 3 more. 2 multis, not sure on the other. They only have two other single cams so far - great news for all current singles on ABC.

And can you say TGIF?

EDIT: It's single. So, 5 multis and 3 singles with 2-4 left to order.

ivysaur12

Banned
Ah, ABC soaps. But I feel like the majority of their orders are due to the fact that they were in a somewhat precarious position going during development season and attracted a lot of high level writers. They're really not going to need 20-22 pilots for the amount of slots they're going to have to fill. They're one of the few nets that's launched more than one new drama.

Good for the indie studios, too. Second Lionsgate order.

Busty

Banned
Definitely one to file under 'don't quote me' but apparently there is a rumour doing the rounds that NBC won't pick up the JJ Abrams produced and Eric Kripke scripted Revolution to pilot.

This move would see NBC pay a sizeable penalty to Warner Bros TV for passing on producing a pilot for the project. A project that they apparently paid a fortune for.

Personally I enjoy Supernatural and Fringe etc would like to see what a show from the combined talents Abrams/Kripke would have been like.

It would mark the second development season in a row where NBC pass on a JJ Abrams show at the pilot stage. Last year they passed on a 'black op' pilot that was supposed to star Terry O'Quinn and Michael Emerson.

When the pilot went up in smoke Emerson moved to the Abrams produced (hit) Person Of Interest on CBS and Quinn went over to Hawaii Five-O as a regular recurring guest.

At this time of year there are plenty of rumours and stories like this flying around so again mark this as a 'rumour' for now.....

anaron

CBS Gives Pilot Order To Louis CK/Spike Feresten Project Conceived 13 Years Ago

CBS’s has greenlighted to pilot an untitled multi-camera comedy written by Louis CK and Spike Feresten, an ensemble of young people trying to achieve their creative dreams in these tough financial times. The pickup caps a remarkable comeback for the project 13 years ago after it was first written. At the time, Louie was a standup comedian and Feresten was a writer on Seinfeld. Having met earlier in their careers as writers on The Late Show With Letterman, Louis CK and Feresten came up with an idea for a comedy series titled Boomtown, which landed at CBS through Louis CK’s development deal with the network and Castle Rock. Back then the characters were envisioned as Louie CK and his friends. When the network passed on the script, it was sent into pilot oblivion.

Fast-forward to last year when BermanBraun executive Gene Stein, who worked at CBS at the time Boomtown was in development there, came across a copy of the script and decided to try and resurrect the project. Stein approached Louis CK, now the creator and star of a successful comedy on FX, and Feresten, who did a stint as a late-night talk show host on Fox, with the idea, and they agreed to update the script if there was a buyer. In October, the original Boomtown script was taken out. Fittingly, the project’s original home, CBS, offered to buy it right away and proceeded to order a rewrite. Louis CK and Feresten, who penned the revised version of their script, are executive producing the pilot with Stein, Gail Berman and Lloyd Braun. BermanBraun and Universal TV, where the company has a deal, will produce with CBS TV Studios.

This is the latest project to get a second and even third chance so far this pilot season. Michael McDonald wrote the script of NBC’s futuristic drama pilot Beautiful People 10 years ago. And Will & Grace creators David Kohan and Max Mutchnick are taking a third stab at a comedy based on their friendship with a pilot at CBS this year following pilots at CBS in 2007 and ABC in 2008. Louis CK and CAA-repped Feresten are managed by 3 Arts.

This marks the first outside pilot order for Universal TV since it re-configured itself as a full-fledged studio last summer.

anaron

Fox also picks up Picks Up Josh Berman Drama, Port/Guarascio Comedy

Michael Dinner has come on board to direct the Josh Berman/Rob Wright medical drama pilot, about a female doctor working for the mob in Chicago. Sony Pictures TV is producing, with Berman, Wright and Dinner exec producing. This was one of 4 hourlong projects vying for Fox’s last drama pilot slot. Word is that the network could still give spec Hieroglyph an off-cycle order.
Port & Guarascio’s El Jefe (aka The Boss), also from Sony TV, is about an upper-middle class 30-year-old guy who finally gets booted out of his dad and step-mom’s house and moves in with his cleaning woman’s family since he had nowhere else to go.

anaron

ABC greenlights Judy Greer comedy vehicle.

ABC is banking on Descendants' star Judy Greer.
The network ordered her single-camera comedy, American Judy, to pilot. The half-hour project centers on a cosmopolitan woman who gets married and becomes a fish out of water in the suburbs. She has to juggle step-kids, a mother-in-law and the ex-wife of her husband who also happens to be the town sheriff.

anaron

CW Orders Dramas from J.J. Abrams, Mark Harmon and 'Vampire Diaries' Producer

Shelter reunites Abrams with CW president Mark Pedowitz and executive vp drama development Thom Sherman, all of whom worked together on ABC/ABC Studios' Lost. The project marks Abrams' return to the network where he started. One half of the former WB Network was home to his first series, the Keri Russell starrer Felicity, which ran from 1998-2002. Abrams, who is also behind Fox newcomer Alcatraz, has the adventure-thriller Revolution set up at NBC with Supernatural creator Eric Kripke.

For its part, The Selection, based on the forthcoming series of books by Kiera Cass, is an epic romance set 300 years in the future. The project, set up at Warner Bros. TV, centers on a poor young woman who is chosen by lottery to participate in a competition to become the next queen of a war-torn nation at a crossroads.
Elizabeth Craft and Sarah Fain, whose credits include Vampire Diaries, Dollhouse and Secret Circle, are on board to write and executive produce the hourlong drama. They have drama project Beautiful Girls in development at Fox.

Finally, Joey Dakota hails from Easy A scribe Bert Royal and is based on the Israeli format Danny Hollywood. The romantic-time travel musical revolves around a documentary filmmakerk who travels back in time to the 1990s where she meets and falls in love with the rock star subject of her film. When she unexpectedly returns to present day, she must find her way back to the past to reunite with her love and prevent his untimely death.
NCIS star Harmon is attached to executive produce the project, from CBS Television Studios in association with Harmon/Tannenbaum, alongside Eric and Kim Tannenbaum (CBS' Rob) and Martha Haight (Chaos)

ivysaur12

Banned
ABC picked up what are probably its last dramas.

I'm bored at work, what do you want me to read? I am open to:

Munsters, Beautiful People, Untitled Kevin Williamson, The Asset, CW Beauty and the Beast, Arrow, ABC Beauty and the Beast, Quean, The Selection, Gotham

Untitled Sarah Silverman, Super Fun Night, Living Loaded, The New Normal, Partners, Untitled Louis CK, "Oh Fuck, It's You" (No idea, but sounds great), Untitled Mindy Kaling

anaron

ABC picked up what are probably its last dramas.

I'm bored at work, what do you want me to read

gHkjo.gif

Provided you have it, Bunheads. If not, Sarah's pilot.

EDIT: boo urns. :p

ivysaur12

Banned
It makes total sense why they picked this up. Big name with the pre-sold storyline + heavy procedural element + hottness = a win. At least, for the CW.

gHkjo.gif

Provided you have it, Bunheads. If not, Sarah's pilot.

EDIT: boo urns. :p

I already got sucked into Beauty and the Beast. And I only have network pilots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom