• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pilot Season 2012-2013 - Bringing you the next Whitney!

Status
Not open for further replies.

beat

Hannibal...on primetime network TV? Hm.
Fuller being attached doesn't immediately have me liking it because I've not yet seen Pushing Daisies, Dead Like Me, and Wonderfalls. I have seen Heroes though. Oh boy.
Wonderfalls and Dead Like me were very good, but Pushing Daisies was on another level. I'm not sure how much was the writing and how much was the actors being better or more suited to the roles, but either way, there was more heart in PD.

anaron

Ander, you must check out Pushing Daisies and Wonderfalls. Amazing shows.

Arrow’ & Nick Stoller Comedy Add To Casts

Malcolm Barrett among trio cast in pilots.

Aubrey Dollar has joined NBC’s untitled Hilary Winston single-camera pilot, also from Sony TV and Fanfare. It centers on Agnes, a shy, focused woman who, after being dumped by her fiance, leans on her co-workers to help her come out of her shell and plot her revenge. Gersh-repped Dollar will play one of them, a chemist on Agnes’ team

Not sure if this belongs here since it has been ordered to series but in other casting news: Gilmore Girls' Kelly Bishop is reuniting with Amy Sherman Palladino in joining 'Bunheads.'

Novid

Banned
Quean was the only CBS pilot I had any interest in. I'm on page 19 and can't bring myself to read anymore. Holy exposition balls, Batman.

Ivy - damn. HOW do these motherfuckers get Syndication Deals year after year worth BILLIONS when they work there pilots to the ground!?

ivysaur12

Banned
Ivy - damn. HOW do these motherfuckers get Syndication Deals year after year worth BILLIONS when they work there pilots to the ground!?

I mean, I guess Beatrix (Quean's main character) is a bit non-traditional, but that was horrible.

Golden Boy is solid. Really liked it.

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
I got a job on Revolution yesterday. I'll start working in about 2-3 weeks depending on when they lock down the start of the shoot. I'll provide impressions once I get my copy of the script.

ivysaur12

Banned
I got a job on Revolution yesterday. I'll start working in about 2-3 weeks depending on when they lock down the start of the shoot. I'll provide impressions once I get my copy of the script.

Awesome. I just sent my resume over there, but I think I'm actually going to be doing a pilot in NYC. So that'll be weird.

Are you gonna be on set?

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
Awesome. I just sent my resume over there, but I think I'm actually going to be doing a pilot in NYC. So that'll be weird.

Are you gonna be on set?

What is it you do again, Ivy? Which pilot are you doing in NYC?

I'm a post production supervisor so I don't go to set unless they shoot in LA. The last two shows I did (Playboy Club & Chicago Code) shot in Chicago so I never got to visit the sets.

ivysaur12

Banned
What is it you do again, Ivy? Which pilot are you doing in NYC?

I'm a post production supervisor so I don't go to set unless they shoot in LA. The last two shows I did (Playboy Club & Chicago Code) shot in Chicago so I never got to visit the sets.

Currently executive assisting at a production company. I have an interview on Monday with 666 Park Ave for an office PA position... Which would mean leaving LA for two months for NYC and starting on Wednesday (interview is on Monday).

I guess I'd prefer to do one in LA, but if I get this, I'm taking it. It's still a bit early anyway, some pilots don't even have line producers yet. I was honestly surprised they called me back - I usually take my address off of non-LA jobs, but I forgot for this one.

This also means I have to pack like I got the job before I know if I got the job. And plane tickets will be expensive. But I'll make it up in a week or so of work so it'll be okay.

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
I actually decided not to take it, the economics didn't make sense in NYC. But they have a good team. I've already heard a few horror stories on some pilot productions.

Picking a pilot can be tough. You have to consider the quality of the crew as well as the likelihood of it being picked up come May. I've been lucky and 4/5 pilots I worked on got picked up, yet 3/4 that were picked up only lasted one season. I was deciding between Revolution, Scruples, Last Resort, and Graceland before ultimately going with Revolution. I read the script today and it has potential, but it'll all depend on casting (as usual) and the quality of the vfx. Do you have any other leads? Good luck, Ivy!

ivysaur12

Banned
Yeah, so, the Revolution script is really good. Expensive, but good. A higher-concept female Supernatural without as many procedural elements.

It's what 17th Precinct should have been.

Picking a pilot can be tough. You have to consider the quality of the crew as well as the likelihood of it being picked up come May. I've been lucky and 4/5 pilots I worked on got picked up, yet 3/4 that were picked up only lasted one season. I was deciding between Revolution, Scruples, Last Resort, and Graceland before ultimately going with Revolution. I read the script today and it has potential, but it'll all depend on casting (as usual) and the quality of the vfx. Do you have any other leads? Good luck, Ivy!

You were definitely safest on Revolution or Last Resort. I haven't read Scruples or Graceland yet, but they seem to lack the buzz that other ABC dramas are getting. One of my friends is working on How to Live With Your Parents (the Sarah Chalke one), and I hear the attitude in the office is very much "we don't really give a shit."

anaron

Trio Of Actresses Cast In Broadcast Pilots

Jeananne Goossen has landed the female lead opposite Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy in Fox’s untitled Kevin Williamson drama pilot. The project, from Warner Bros TV, is described as an edge-of-the-seat thriller about Joe Carroll (Purefoy) a diabolical serial killer who uses technology to create a cult of serial killers, and retired FBI profiler Ryan Hardy (Bacon) who finds himself in the middle of it. Goossen will play Jennifer Mason, a strong-willed FBI agent partnered with Hardy in the search for Carroll. Goossen, repped by Greene & Assoc. and Magnolia Entertainment, is recurring on Alcatraz and can also be seen in The Vow.

Jamie Chung (Samurai Girl) has joined Fox’s drama pilot The Asset. The project, written and executive produced by Josh Friedman and directed by Neil Burger, centers on Anna King (Ali Larter), is a remarkably gifted globe-trotting photographer with a secret life: she a CIA field operative. Chung, repped by Gersh and 3 Arts, will play a polygraph expert with the CIA who administers a confrontational polygraph to King which immediately puts her on the wrong side of King’s temper and attention. Chung will next be seen in the features Premium Rush, 7500 and Man With The Iron Fists.

Groundlings alumna Charlotte Newhouse has been cast in ABC’s comedy pilot Prairie Dogs. The single-camera project, from writers/executive producers Jackie and Jeff Filgo and ABC Studios, centers on Neil (Kal Penn), an uncool cubicle worker aka “prairie dog” at one of the coolest companies in the world who becomes the victim of identity theft. When he discovers the thief has created a much more fulfilling life with his identity than he ever has, he engages the charismatic conman to help him change his life. Newhouse, repped by Gersh and Flutie, will play one of Neil’s co-workers who is spunky, spirited, and adventurous.

ivysaur12

Banned
It's early, but I've heard that (for ABC), people seem to have gravitated the most towards Scruples, Gotham, Last Resort, and Penoza. Again, early. But I'd bet that Last Resort with that cast and Shawn Ryan is as close as you could get to a safe pickup at this point.

beat

Neil (Kal Penn), an uncool cubicle worker aka "prairie dog" at one of the coolest companies in the world who becomes the victim of identity theft. When he discovers the thief has created a much more fulfilling life with his identity than he ever has, he engages the charismatic conman to help him change his life.
This was also the premise for a single episode of Friends, if I recall correctly. I think it was Monica who got her identity stolen.

ivysaur12

Banned
Congrats! What's it about?

It was called The New Normal (but Ryan Murphy took that one). "Hang out" sitcom about a guy (Dusty) whose wife leaves him and he needs to get back in the dating game (Awesometown) with the help of his friends.

Very similar to Happy Endings and Apartment 23 in tone.

Busty

Banned
I'll be officially working in the offices on "Dusty Goes to Awesometown" for ABC.

That's awesome news man.

Kudos. :)

I got a job on Revolution yesterday. I'll start working in about 2-3 weeks depending on when they lock down the start of the shoot.

And a congrats to you too Sir.

:)

It's early, but I've heard that (for ABC), people seem to have gravitated the most towards Scruples, Gotham, Last Resort, and Penoza. Again, early. But I'd bet that Last Resort with that cast and Shawn Ryan is as close as you could get to a safe pickup at this point.

I'm really interested in Last Resort but it just doesn't sound much like an ABC show even if someone did describe it as being like a 'Tom Clancy soap opera'.

But like you said I imagine that the combination of Shawn Ryan plus Braugher and Speedman should earn a mid season slot at the least.

I'd have thought that Park Ave 666 (or whatever they are calling it this week) would be a better fit for ABC. Being based on an Alloy book (though what isn't these days) and having Terry O' Quinn in the cast would make it a good fit for the network.

Yeah, so, the Revolution script is really good. Expensive, but good. A higher-concept female Supernatural without as many procedural elements.

Sounds really interesting. If picked up I really hope this hits for NBC. I really do.

ivysaur12

Banned
Thanks everyone. I'm super surprised/stoked. I told TJ, I thought I was going to miss out on this pilot season.

That's awesome news man.

Kudos. :)

And a congrats to you too Sir.

:)

I'm really interested in Last Resort but it just doesn't sound much like an ABC show even if someone did describe it as being like a 'Tom Clancy soap opera'.

But like you said I imagine that the combination of Shawn Ryan plus Braugher and Speedman should earn a mid season slot at the least.

I'd have thought that Park Ave 666 (or whatever they are calling it this week) would be a better fit for ABC. Being based on an Alloy book (though what isn't these days) and having Terry O' Quinn in the cast would make it a good fit for the network.

Sounds really interesting. If picked up I really hope this hits for NBC. I really do.

The thing about ABC is that their usually split their dramas into two categories - the pure soaps, the procedursoaps, and then straight male-skewing dramas. They do all three types, even though they really are known for the first two. And since ABC had such a good year, they're definitely looking to expand their audience beyond the typical female-skewing soap audience. See: The River.

I think that 666 Park Ave might be a good fit, but desperately needs a name change. Again, it might be a GCB type scenario where the author gets pissy and doesn't want them to change the name.

And Revolution could be a hit. I'm still hoping Awake does well for them, but Revolution and Beautiful People (I love how the mispelled logline of it being ten minutes in the future is still making rounds) are really solid. I'm going to read some more of their stuff today now that I actually don't have to prepare for interviews anymore.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It was called The New Normal (but Ryan Murphy took that one). "Hang out" sitcom about a guy (Dusty) whose wife leaves him and he needs to get back in the dating game (Awesometown) with the help of his friends.

Very similar to Happy Endings and Apartment 23 in tone.

I'll be sure to watch it when it makes it to air. ;)

ivysaur12

Banned
Just read The New Normal.

Fuck you, Ryan Murphy. No, fuck you so badly.

One of your main characters is a bitchy, condescending stereotype who lets a 9-year old smoke a cigarette and asks if he's going to be a good mother. He keeps asking if his tops make him look fat. He's obsessed with his weight and vanity. You have one character talk about how the gays want "marriage and families now, like they're waving their sore anuses in our faces."

And it's almost guaranteed to make it to series.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
CBS Pilot ‘Quean’ Not Going Forward After Sony Threatens Legal Action Over Alleged ‘Girl With The Dragon Tattoo’ Similarities

Just read The New Normal.

Fuck you, Ryan Murphy. No, fuck you so badly.

One of your main characters is a bitchy, condescending stereotype who lets a 9-year old smoke a cigarette and asks if he's going to be a good mother. He keeps asking if his tops make him look fat. He's obsessed with his weight and vanity. You have one character talk about how the gays want "marriage and families now, like they're waving their sore anuses in our faces."

And it's almost guaranteed to make it to series.

A shitty gay character written by Ryan Murphy?! Whaaaat? I'm, like, so shocked! :p

Busty

Banned

Hahahaha. Really? If Sony really thinks that CBS is either capable or willing to make a TV show that resembles the 'Dragon Tattoo' in any way, shape or form they are out of their fucking minds.

I can't imagine Les Moonves is going to be happy with this development even if Quean had zero buzz going for it thus far. I don't think Sony's lone pilot order from CBS will be having much luck come May after this development.

When Sony have a total of ONE drama on broadcast network TV next season (that's assuming ABC picks up Last Resort) this whole thing is going to sting even more.

It's slightly amusing that Sony would think that 'Dragon Tattoo' is even that big of a franchise for them at this point. I mean it's hardly Harry Potter etc. Bizarre.

That Kevin Bacon/James Purefoy show feels like shades of The Mentalist with Red John and his "friends". But it could be interesting.

I hope that the CW 'Cult' show turns out well. Robert Knepper's awesome, and the lead actress is gorgeous (yeah, I'm shallow). And I just read that 'Cult' will be a 13 Episode per season show instead of 22... I guess that means less fluff.

Wow great thread, so much usefull information for a TV aficionado like me. I guess that would be my line of work if I would live in the US.

So far I only read through the plot summarys but I can't wait to watch trailers later this year and test if my "already canceled" predictions are accurate again. Sometimes I really wonder how a network greenlights a script/pilot when even I can see it failing from the start. I am talking about you "Work It!", "Free Agents" (a real shame with that cast), etc.

Since there are a few insiders here I really would like to know more about the insights of how a TV show deal is made, what are the criteria, why is CBS so more successfull when it comes to comedy shows (ugh at least ROB took a hit).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom