• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pilot Season 2012-2013 - Bringing you the next Whitney!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
Looking at his Wikipedia page, it doesn't seem he has done anything funny for quite a while. I hope Awesometown is good though.

I mean, our script is solid - the post-network table read draft is really good. The table read also went really well, and some people that I was suspect on initially ended up being great.

The thing that we have going for is a genuinely funny script, good cast, and (most importantly) relatively little else like it was ordered by ABC. There's a few other things that I think we having going for us, too. We're the only "hang out" comedy. But you never know, ABC has a ton of sitcom pilots and it's always a crap shoot. Not to mention that 8 out of 12 are single-cams. But it's a good show, at least on paper. That always helps.

Heh. I was asking as well. I've only seen his awful standup and Bill O'Reilly appearances.

Oh, you might have missed him on Hanity as well.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I mean, our script is solid - the post-network table read draft is really good. The table read also went really well, and some people that I was suspect on initially ended up being great.

The thing that we have going for is a genuinely funny script, good cast, and (most importantly) relatively little else like it was ordered by ABC. There's a few other things that I think we having going for us, too. We're the only "hang out" comedy. But you never know, ABC has a ton of sitcom pilots and it's always a crap shoot. Not to mention that 8 out of 12 are single-cams. But it's a good show, at least on paper. That always helps.

Sounds like it could be a fun show. Is it single cam?

ivysaur12

Banned
Good. I have to admit: multi cam shows sorta bug me. :/

I have no real issue with them - the problem with the most recent multi cams is that most of the top tier writers have doen single cams. I actually really liked all of Levitan multi-cams (yes, even Stacked) before he did Modern Family and denounced the entire subgenre.

The other problem is that each network's worst shows this year - Are You There, Chelsea?, Work It, I Hate My Teenage Daughter, Rob... all mutlicams.

anaron

CW releases image of Green Arrow pilot, showcasing the new costume designed by three-time Oscar-winning costume designer Colleen Atwood.

arrow_newarror.jpg

Busty

Banned
Revolution is looking great so far. My confidence is rising.

Awesome news. This and Last Resort are my two most anticipated pilots for 2012. Hopefully you go the distance man.

Speaking of Last Resort I had no idea that Sony were spending so much on the pilot. Apparently the entire submarine bridge set is on a gimble, has that ever been done for a broadcast TV show before?

ivysaur12

Banned
Take all of this with a grain of salt:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/primetime-pilot-panic-early-buzz-edition-2/

Back by popular demand: Deadline’s Pilot Buzz lists. We’re earlier than normal this year while pilots have generally been late, with only a handful of them having cuts by now and the vast majority still in various stages of production. Therefore, everything on this list has to be taken with a gigantic grain of salt as a lot could change between a table read and a final cut. Take NBC’s comedy pilot SAVE ME for example. After some mixed and even negative chatter early on, mostly related to the tone of the show, originally developed for Showtime, the tide changed completely over the last two days when people saw the completed pilot, which is getting high marks. The list also doesn’t cover every pilot as some of them have not gotten into production yet or feedback has been insufficient. With that in mind, here it is:

The network already has one new scripted series on tap for next season, HANNIBAL, which I hear may go for midseason. With the network in such bad shape after years of neglect and bad decisions by previous regimes, NBC seems to have cast a very wide net this season, developing a vast range of projects that are all over the map, making it harder to handicap. On the drama side, mystery MIDNIGHT SUN, the Jekyll & Hyde-esque DO NO HARM are getting some solid early buzz. The Jason Katims/Jason Ritter medical drama COUNTY, which just wrapped, also has been getting positive feedback. Western-esque THE FRONTIER, which is shooting in Australia, is getting notices for its rich look. Comedy-wise, ANIMAL KINGDOM is hot, as is White House family comedy 1600 PENN, despite a last-minute recasting, as well as the Matthew Perry starrer GO ON and Greg Daniels’ FRIDAY NIGHT DINNER. The network also is high on a couple of multi-camera comedies, LADYFRIENDS and the untitled JIMMY FALLON, with TABLE FOR THREE also looking encouraging so far. The Shawn Ryan/Ali Adler blended family comedy THE NEW NORMAL is still shooting but, with the auspices involved, it is considered a strong contender. NBC brass seem to like the SARAH SILVERMAN pilot, which had an early order, but Silverman is considered acquired taste, so a lot will depend on on testing.

The KEVIN WILLIAMSON project was very strong at the script stage, got even stronger with the casting of Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy, and seems to be sailing through production. Meanwhile the untitled KARYN USHER teen-spy drama, which also was an early standout during the script phase, then hit a speed bump in casting the lead, which took a very long time, now appears to be in great shape, with newcomer Saxon Sharbino getting strong reviews. Kevin Williamson and Karyn Usher seem to be the top contenders at the moment, with Fox’s other female CIA agent drama, THE ASSET, right behind them and GUILTY and JOSH FRIEDMAN/BOB WRIGHT further down at the moment. Off-cycle pilot LITTLE BROTHER, whose plug almost got pulled after difficulties casting one of the leads, is making early waves on the comedy side. I hear Fox brass are impressed by John Stamos and his chemistry with TJ Miller. Also getting solid early buzz is the comedy EL JEFE, about a privileged young man moving in with his Latina nanny, and the MINDY KALING medical office comedy, mostly because of its star/creator Kaling. I’ve been hearing mixed early buzz on half-hour pilots LIKE FATHER and LIVING LOADED, but with A-level auspices Bill Lawrence and Rob McElhenney behind them, judgement has to be reserved until they are completed.

High-profile drama pilots RALPH LAMB and ELEMENTARY look very good early on. In addition to strong buzz, period drama Ralph Lamb boasts a cast that includes Dennis Quaid, Michael Chiklis, Jason O’Mara, Carrie-Anne Moss, and Elementary already has fans buzzing about the tweaks the network is making to the classic Sherlock Holmes franchise with this contemporary update. Despite the difficulties casting the lead (Rachelle Lefevre eventually got the role in second position to A Gifted Man), I hear mom-turned-PI drama pilot APPLEBAUM has strong support at the network, with another female procedural, the Jerry Bruckheimer-produced TROOPER, about a mom-turned-state trooper, also getting early buzz. On the comedy side, after a casting tweak after the table read, PARTNERS looks good, while reaction to DORF/FALCONE has been mixed. Most of CBS’ comedy pilot are very late, so not much intel here.

Like NBC, ABC may already have a series for next season. Soap MISTRESSES, which was ordered straight-to-series for summer 2013, is filming a pilot episode with the regular ABC pilots, and I hear it will get consideration for launch next season, which is what ABC did with midseason entry Missing, originally ordered for summer. When Mistresses will premiere may depend on how ABC’s five soapy pilots, SCRUPLES, AMERICANA, NASHVILLE, DEVIOUS MAIDS and GILDED LILYS turn out. So far, I hear strong buzz on Gilded Lilys, though all five boast top auspices and/or big-name actors. ABC’s fantasy/supernatural pilots 666 PARK AVE, GOTHAM and BEAUTY AND THE BEAST look in good shape early on, especially 666 Park Ave, which is hot. The question is whether the network will pick up only one of them as a companion for Once Upon A Time. In the testosterone minority of ABC’s drama slate, the Shawn Ryan/Karl Gajdusek’s LAST RESORT is showing promise, while buzz on the Roland Emmerich/Harold Kloser project has been mixed. On the comedy side, PRAIRIE DOGS, the raunchy AWESOMETOWN and Claudia Lonow’s family comedy HOW TO LIVE WITH YOUR PARENTS FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE are getting strong early buzz. Also, Reba McEntire is a big audience draw, making her sitcom MALIBU COUNTRY an automatic contender.

If there is such thing as sure thing so early, the CW’s ARROW and CARRIE’S DIARIES would be it. They have pre-sold titles and are already making a lot of noise. Both were strong pre-production, received mostly favorable reaction to the fist images of the title characters released last month, and the strong buzz continues. Another pilot with a instantly recognizable title, BEAUTY & THE BEAST, also has been garnering buzz, while medical drama FIRST CUT has has people raving about XX who plays the lead. And then there is a pilot, whose chances improved over the last two weeks completely unrelated to the actual pilot — THE SELECTION. In picking it up, the network took a page from its own playbook several years ago, when, on the heels of the success of the first Twilight movie, the network ordered to pilot the similarly-themed Vampire Diaries. This year, the CW did the same with the Hunger Games-esque THE SELECTION in anticipation that the movie would be big. The film indeed has been an instant smash, boosting the chances of The Selection.

Yup, not a lot that's interesting.

I have a pilot script into network right now, different schedule because it's cable not broadcast. Super anxiety-making! I don't know how TV people do this.

anaron

If there is such thing as sure thing so early, the CW’s ARROW and THE CARRIE DIARIES would be it. They have pre-sold titles and are already making a lot of noise. Both were strong pre-production, received mostly favorable reaction to the fist images of the title characters released last month, and the strong buzz continues. Another pilot with a instantly recognizable title, BEAUTY & THE BEAST, also has been garnering buzz, while medical drama FIRST CUT has has people raving about Mamie Gummer who plays the lead and is Meryl Streep’s daughter.

JFLrb.gif

I just wanna see Cult and The Selection ordered to series.

ivysaur12

Banned
I have a pilot script into network right now, different schedule because it's cable not broadcast. Super anxiety-making! I don't know how TV people do this.

Details! C'mon, Gary!

EDIT: Anaron, Cult is supposedly blah, and The Selection read very meh. But I hear Selection went through a ton of changes, so we'll see.

ivysaur12

Banned
Happy to hear Awesometown appears to be doing well. :)

We still have a month, a lot can change (and who knows who is telling Nellie this stuff). As long as there is some buzz about us going into May, I'll be optimistic. I also heard that the producer's cut is really good. I saw the director's cut, hopefully they'll do another test screening again with the younger staff.

If we get to shoot a pilot, sure :)

I will be refreshing Deadline until then.

ivysaur12

Banned
The buzz is that ABC is going to go with 6 comedies, along with Modern Family, The Middle, Suburgatory, Last Man Standing, and Happy Endings. Jury is out on Apartment 23.

ivysaur12

Banned
One of which is Awesometown. Yeah?

I hope so. I like the people I work with, if nothing else. And it's funny, so I'd watch it. One of my best friends works on the Claudia Lonow show, so I hope that goes to series.

As long as there's continued positive buzz, I'll feel good. But we probably won't know until right before upfronts.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I hope so. I like the people I work with, if nothing else. And it's funny, so I'd watch it. One of my best friends works on the Claudia Lonow show, so I hope that goes to series.

As long as there's continued positive buzz, I'll feel good. But we probably won't know until right before upfronts.

Sounds like a fun environment to work in.

Will you be attending ABC's upfront presentation?

big ander

Rob Delaney's Comedy Central pilot didn't get picked up :/

I might be the only one that cares though, so sorry for bumping.

ivysaur12

Banned
http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/primetime-pilot-panic-early-buzz-update/

Way too premature, but here's the latest list from Deadline.

Waaaay too premature, we haven't even sent in our final cut yet (27th). We wrapped our offices today, though I assume that you will be there through the first part of May.

Regardless, I will be refreshing the fuck out of Deadline for the next month. Even though literally nothing that Nellie says matters until the first week of May.

(I did see an almost final cut today. My reaction echoes that of one of our actors in a commercial he just did):

tumblr_m2ll2qkFwC1rnfx2v.gif

But yeah, even reading some of the info on there seems premature and incomplete based on stuff.

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
Waaaay too premature, we haven't even sent in our final cut yet (27th). We wrapped our offices today, though I assume that you will be there through the first part of May.

Regardless, I will be refreshing the fuck out of Deadline for the next month. Even though literally nothing that Nellie says matters until the first week of May.

(I did see an almost final cut today. My reaction echoes that of one of our actors in a commercial he just did):

But yeah, even reading some of the info on there seems premature and incomplete based on stuff.

I'm crossing my fingers for you, Ivy! Hopefully you get some good news in a few weeks. What are you up to next?

We haven't sent anything out of the building yet. It's still more than a week until NBC sees a cut. Everyone here is really happy and Favreau has been easy to work with. The early vfx shots are looking good and I'm still very confident that our end product will be solid.

I too will be refreshing Deadline like mad after we deliver in the first week of May. Its so absurd that they write these articles this early.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm crossing my fingers for you, Ivy! Hopefully you get some good news in a few weeks. What are you up to next?

We haven't sent anything out of the building yet. It's still more than a week until NBC sees a cut. Everyone here is really happy and Favreau has been easy to work with. The early vfx shots are looking good and I'm still very confident that our end product will be solid.

I too will be refreshing Deadline like mad after we deliver in the first week of May. Its so absurd that they write these articles this early.

I'll PM you with the work stuff, hah.

We did 20th testing, but there hasn't actually been any testing with the cut that ABC got, which is stupid for Deadline to report that.

I love our new cut though.

"intrigued enough to do reshoots" - come on Nellie. Come on, you are not this stupid.

ivysaur12

Banned
(sorry for the triple post)

But Ryan Murphy's The New Normal should get ordered soon. Maybe today. Ugh.

But next year could be super gay with comedies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Not sure where to put this:

HBO Picks Up Detective Series Starring Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson

In a competitive situation, True Detective, an eight-part event drama series project starring Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson, has landed at HBO with a straight-to-series order. I hear the pay cable network is finalizing a deal for an eight-episode order to the high-concept cop drama written on spec by Nic Pizzolatto (The Killing), with Cary Fukunaga (Jane Eyre) on board to direct all episodes.

True Detective, which sparked heated bidding after it was taken out to the top cable networks earlier this month, is descried as an elevated serial narrative with multiple perspectives and time frames. It centers on two detectives, Rust Cohle (McConaughey) and Martin Hart (Harrelson), whose lives collide and entwine during a seventeen-year hunt for a serial killer in Louisiana. The investigation of a bizarre murder in 1995 is framed and interlaced with testimony from the detectives in 2012, when the case has been reopened.

The concept is for the 8-episode first season to resolve the mystery at hand, with subsequent seasons using same structure but new characters and story. True Detective is gearing to start production right away. It is ready to do so with director and stars on board as well as two written episodes and a bible, which were part of the project’s pitch.

Anonymous Content, which manages Pizzolatto and Fukunaga, developed True Detective in-house and will be producing the series for HBO. Anonymous president Paul Green negotiated the deal with the pay cable network, with the company’s Richard Brown and Steve Golin set to executive produce alongside Pizzolatto and Fukunaga, and Bard Dorros also slated to serve in some producing capacity. As part of the pickup of True Detective, HBO also has signed a development deal with Pizzolatto for other projects.

ivysaur12

Banned
Save Me and The New Normal look like a go today from NBC, both have been giving staffing go-aheads (usually the safest bet).

1600 Penn is hot behind them. Looks like that could be the new NBC Thursday (with everything else getting moved elsewhere).

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
HBO Drama Pilot ‘The Corrections’ Not Going Forward

HBO will not be going forward with the Noah Baumbach/Scott Rudin pilot The Corrections. The drama project, based on Jonathan Franzen’s acclaimed book, boasted one of most star-studded casts ever assembled on television: Chris Cooper, Dianne Wiest, Ewan McGregor, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Rhys Ifans and Greta Gerwig. The Corrections revolved around the troubles of a Midwestern couple (Cooper and Wiest) and their adult children (McGregor, Gyllenhaal) as they trace their lives from the mid-20th century to “one last Christmas” together near the turn of the millennium. Attempting to bring Franzen’s book to the screen, something that had been tried unsuccessfully on the feature side for a decade, was considered a big swing. Word is HBO brass liked the pilot and the performances but the decision came down to adapting the book’s challenging narrative, which moves through time and cuts forwards and back. While that works in the novel, it proved difficult to sustain in a series as it is challenging for viewers to follow, hampering the potential show’s accessibility.

Damn, I thought this sounded interesting.

Save Me and The New Normal look like a go today from NBC, both have been giving staffing go-aheads (usually the safest bet).

1600 Penn is hot behind them. Looks like that could be the new NBC Thursday (with everything else getting moved elsewhere).

Dick Wolf's Chicago Fire just got the go-ahead to staff.

Save Me sounds sort of interesting, as does Chicago Fire. New Normal = bleh. 1600 Penn sounds okay. (I know that the very basic premise of a show doesn't matter too much, as everything depends on the writing/cast etc. these are just my snap judgements) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom