• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

xacto

Sorry if this is old but, with surprises still being teased and the recent revelation via Digital Foundry, that we are currently not allowed to see PS Now, could one of these surprises relate to this rumour from earlier in the year?

I'd be very interested to have playable demos for each game on PS5; I don't even recount how many times I was interested in a game and wanted to try it out before taking the plunge. But the idea of having these demos stream instead of just downloading them sounds even better.

Let's see which direction PlayStation would take in this matter.

edotlee

Easy Allies go over their reviews for the two systems. According to Daniel Bloodworth, Sony's communication for the launch schedule on the press side has been far better. There hasn't been much talk about this from other media outlets (besides the Jez Corden tweet about an embargo being moved up suddenly).

Timestamp - 1:24:38

Notable points:

"Explorations for allowing players to store (but not play) PS5 games on a USB drive in a future update are underway"

"Is 3D Audio available through TV speakers?

TV speaker virtual surround sound won’t be available on launch day for PS5 but is planned for a future update"

"PS5 is compatible with 8K displays at launch, and after a future system software update will be able to output resolutions up to 8K when content is available, with supported software"

How long will the DualSense controller last on a full charge? How long will it take to recharge?

Under most conditions, battery life is expected to be similar to the DualShock 4 wireless controller.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

Dualsense not working on PS4 and 3D Audio on TV speakers not working at launch are super dissapoint for me.
Once again Sony launches a console missing many features, reminds me of suspended mode which was promised before launch on PS4. No PS5 saves and games on USB storage, no VRR, no 3D audio for tv speakers, no SSD expansion, hope they don't take so long to address those like they did with external storage this gen.

Fake

Gold Member
Once again Sony launches a console missing many features, reminds me of suspended mode which was promised before launch on PS4. No PS5 saves and games on USB storage, no VRR, no 3D audio for tv speakers, no SSD expansion, hope they don't take so long to address those like they did with external storage this gen.

I really was hoping for a better way to improve my TV speakers.

splattered

Is anyone else considering selling their PSVR because of how Sony chose to handle it on the PS5? No more VR games for at least 2 years is very discouraging and i never was able to get that adapter submission form to work... kept giving me red errors. Luckily 99% of the VR games i bought (10-15?) have been physical so i can sell them with the hardware. We mostly only really use it for Beat Saber anymore so i guess we could do without it until PSVR2 or an Xbox VR solution comes out... i dunno

Neo Blaster

Is anyone else considering selling their PSVR because of how Sony chose to handle it on the PS5? No more VR games for at least 2 years is very discouraging and i never was able to get that adapter submission form to work... kept giving me red errors. Luckily 99% of the VR games i bought (10-15?) have been physical so i can sell them with the hardware. We mostly only really use it for Beat Saber anymore so i guess we could do without it until PSVR2 or an Xbox VR solution comes out... i dunno
VR games can still be released for PS4, so it won't be totally useless, but I agree not having next gen VR games for it is a huge letdown.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
VR games can still be released for PS4, so it won't be totally useless, but I agree not having next gen VR games for it is a huge letdown.
Plus those games will be able to target PS5s power. I wouldn't worry too much, they just don't want to fragment their userbase.

They will no doubt release PSVR2 which will only target PS5. I'm ok with that.

Grinchy

Banned
Just know that the entire premise that there's no VR games for 2 years is based on a website extrapolating that idea from a very vague statement from a "Sony spokesperson" that doesn't even say that there won't be PS5 VR games for 2 years. It's all made up as of now.

Also, we just got the info today that Blood and Truth will have a PS5 patch. Not just standard running in BC mode, an actual PS5-specific patch for a PSVR game. This is why you can't just trust the word of a low-end website going for headline clicks. They were the ones claiming PS5 can only do PS4 BC mode and can never have PS5 updates...

splattered

Just know that the entire premise that there's no VR games for 2 years is based on a website extrapolating that idea from a very vague statement from a "Sony spokesperson" that doesn't even say that there won't be PS5 VR games for 2 years. It's all made up as of now.

Also, we just got the info today that Blood and Truth will have a PS5 patch. Not just standard running in BC mode, an actual PS5-specific patch for a PSVR game. This is why you can't just trust the word of a low-end website going for headline clicks. They were the ones claiming PS5 can only do PS4 BC mode and can never have PS5 updates...

Yeah i saw that thread shortly after posting this haha ... i guess i will keep trying to get the PS4 to PS5 VR adapter and wait a bit to see what happens :)

Fake

Gold Member
The best audio processing can't really fix that. Even small bookshelf speakers will have a better Fq range than the teeny sounding speakers in thin TV displays.

I want to improve, not to fix. My next TV will be probably a Bravia I already looking foward. Will be Linear PCM for me as always.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

It's a PS4 patch not a PS5 patch for Blood and Truth... the same as other patches that target PS5 BC.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
It's a PS4 patch not a PS5 patch for Blood and Truth... the same as other patches that target PS5 BC.
Yes, a patch to allow the PS5 to run it in a way that the PS4 cannot. This goes against one of the things that were being said (that the PS5 will only run standard BC mode for all PSVR games). The other things being said were that there would be no headset for 3 years and that no PS5 game can be run on the PSVR1 unit. None of these things were ever officially stated.

IntentionalPun

Yes, a patch to allow the PS5 to run it in a way that the PS4 cannot. This goes against one of the things that were being said (that the PS5 will only run standard BC mode for all PSVR games). The other things being said were that there would be no headset for 3 years and that no PS5 game can be run on the PSVR1 unit. None of these things were ever officially stated.

Oh gotcha; well.. it's still a BC mode lol

I don't know why anyone thought PSVR games couldn't use boost mode... they can't use actual PS5 patches. It's really confusing when people call a PS4 patch targeting BC a "PS5 patch" because it's not a PS5 patch.. it's a PS4 patch meant to run in boost mode on PS5.

Shane89

Dualsense not working on PS4 and 3D Audio on TV speakers not working at launch are super dissapoint for me.
"3D audio" and "TV Speakers" can't stay in the same sentence. Even with word "magic" in the middle of it. It just doesn't make sense, deal with it.

Last edited:
Fellas, answer if you

is the blutooth audio universal on ps5?

i recentley bought sony xm3, its pain in the ass on ps4 with all the dongles- thanks for any input 🤟

Grinchy

Banned
Oh gotcha; well.. it's still a BC mode lol

I don't know why anyone thought PSVR games couldn't use boost mode... they can't use actual PS5 patches. It's really confusing when people call a PS4 patch targeting BC a "PS5 patch" because it's not a PS5 patch.. it's a PS4 patch meant to run in boost mode on PS5.
We don't actually know it can't use a "PS5 patch" either, though. The only source claiming this is true is based on a Sony spokesperson saying "we have not annouced PS5 titles for PSVR" and some odd wording in game info sites about backwards compatibility. That is what got extrapolated on and became a huge thread here despite it meaning almost nothing.

IntentionalPun

We don't actually know it can't use a "PS5 patch" either, though. The only source claiming this is true is based on a Sony spokesperson saying "we have not annouced PS5 titles for PSVR" and some odd wording in game info sites about backwards compatibility. That is what got extrapolated on and became a huge thread here despite it meaning almost nothing.
Well it's clear that the PS5 patch for No Mans Sky does not work with VR.

There's nothing unclear about the wording on their site.

I do agree that it's not confirmation that PS5 games can't access VR... but it definitely appears that way... also possible the NMS devs just didn't bother to optimize their upgrades for VR so are only including it in the PS4 version.. so good point, nothing really confirmed.

Last edited:
It's out there................ BUCKLE UP!
JVH2QaE.jpeg

QxloFHt.jpeg

ElSCTrO.jpeg

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Well it's clear that the PS5 patch for No Mans Sky does not work with VR.

There's nothing unclear about the wording on their site.

I do agree that it's not confirmation that PS5 games can't access VR... but it definitely appears that way... also possible the NMS devs just didn't bother to optimize their upgrades for VR so are only including it in the PS4 version.. so good point, nothing really confirmed.
I'm not saying that's wrong about NMS, but I wouldn't say the wording is all that clear.

W4u2Whc.png

It could very well be that the next-gen patch for PS5 will not allow PSVR, but instead will revert to the PS4 version of the game. But I'm holding off on thinking I know it for sure until we actually know because the wording seems strange to me.

It would also be really annoying to list PSVR support in the official PS5 update trailer if the PS5 update does not support PSVR.

Fake

Gold Member
"3D audio" and "TV Speakers" can't stay in the same sentence. Even with word "magic" in the middle of it. It just doesn't make sense, deal with it.

Lol? Are you nuts? There is no real 3D audio there, they act more like virtual surround. I don't need to 'deal with' because, if you read, Sony will launch an update to make Tempest Engine works on TV Speakers.
TV speaker virtual surround sound won’t be available on launch day for PS5 but is planned for a future update
My frustation is just about the 3D Audio not been at 'day one', but soon they will put, whatever like you or not.

Last edited:

Shane89

Lol? Are you nuts? There is no real 3D audio there, they act more like virtual surround. I don't need to 'deal with' because, if you read, Sony will launch an update to make Tempest Engine works on TV Speakers.

My frustation is just about the 3D Audio not been at 'day one', but soon they will put, whatever like you or not.

Read my other post, i know there is an update incoming but what do you expect from TV SPEAKERS and 3D AUDIO? Nothing, so there really no reason to complain about the missing functionality at launch.

And yes, you have to deal it with it :)

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Read my other post, i know there is an update incoming but what do you expect from TV SPEAKERS and 3D AUDIO? Nothing, so there really no reason to complain about the missing functionality at launch.

Hate to break it to you.. but stereo headphones also can't really do "3d audio"... it's all virtual.

IntentionalPun

I'm not saying that's wrong about NMS, but I wouldn't say the wording is all that clear.

W4u2Whc.png

It could very well be that the next-gen patch for PS5 will not allow PSVR, but instead will revert to the PS4 version of the game. But I'm holding off on thinking I know it for sure until we actually know because the wording seems strange to me.

It would also be really annoying to list PSVR support in the official PS5 update trailer if the PS5 update does not support PSVR.

The patch notes page makes it pretty clear... I don't know how else to interpret this:

q5edFPI.png

The "next gen patch" is definitely a PS5 patch and not a BC patch as it adds support for PS5 specific features like 3d audio.. and then they are telling people they can still use VR on next-gen via BC... why else would they mention BC if the actual PS5 version could do VR?

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member

Its virtual dude. lmao

Shane89

Hate to break it to you.. but stereo headphones also can't really do "3d audio"... it's all virtual.
DId i say otherwise? I'm not talking about headphone, i hate headphone and i have a real 7.1 surround set. I know it's virtual, what i'm saying is that hearing audio from TV SPEAKERS with or without Tempest support, will not change anything. And this is a fact, it's like when you setup Built-in Surround on any TV out there. There no real difference, and for that reason, complain about the missing of that feature at launch is completely out of sense, because it will change nothing to the audio experience.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

DId i say otherwise? I'm not talking about headphone, i hate headphone and i have a real 7.1 surround set. I know it's virtual, what i'm saying is that hearing audio from TV SPEAKERS with or without Tempest support, will not change anything. And this is a fact, it's like when you setup Built-in Surround on any TV out there. There no real difference, and for that reason, complain about the missing of that feature at launch is completely out of sense, because it will change nothing to the audio experience.

Well I brought it up because all Tempest Audio right now is for is stereo headphones.

There is no Tempest 3d Audio for 7.1 setups at launch either.

DrDamn

W4u2Whc.png

I don't think it's particularly clear currently. You have the PSN store advertising the PS5 version of Hitman 3 with PSVR support for example.

Just seems a bit odd.

reksveks

I don't think it's particularly clear currently. You have the PSN store advertising the PS5 version of Hitman 3 with PSVR support for example.

Just seems a bit odd.
You will be playing the ps4 version of hitman 3 if you want to play in Vr, weird but sadly no workaround yet.

Traxtech

I wonder if the wireless k63 keyboard will work on the ps5.. Does not work on the ps4 or ps4 pro for warzone which is frustrating.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Fellas, answer if you

is the blutooth audio universal on ps5?

i recentley bought sony xm3, its pain in the ass on ps4 with all the dongles- thanks for any input 🤟

Does it have like an adapter/dongle? So it can support lossless 2.4GHz? If not, plug it directly to DualSense as according to PS Blog officials it should get the full support that way. I will be pleased to know your feedback as I’m planning to get the Sony WH-1000XM4 later.

Popup

Nothing to do with PS5. I was looking through the Mark Cerny patents and discovered he was also involved with the PS3. I'm not sure if this was widely known, just thought some might find it interesting.

Top Bottom