• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

DavidGzz

Gold Member
Picking mine up on Thursday at 10am central. My XSX pickup went without a hitch and I hope it's the same for PS5. I did pick up a dual sense today. It feels amazing!

Grinchy

Banned
I'm too damn hyped. I haven't been able to play anything for like a week. Every time I think of getting into it, it's just like why bother. A fucking PS5 is coming!

THE:MILKMAN

So today is Demon's Souls / Sackboy reviews + final surprise day?

I'm not getting my hopes up about any surprise. There has been no hints, teases or leaks about it so I expect it won't be anything I personally care for too much. /grumpy.

I'm still clinging to the hope I can pick a PS5 up before Christmas but looking around at what has been happening with peoples pre-orders I'm really glad I don't pre-order anything ever!

DrDamn

I'm not getting my hopes up about any surprise. There has been no hints, teases or leaks about it so I expect it won't be anything I personally care for too much. /grumpy.

I'm still clinging to the hope I can pick a PS5 up before Christmas but looking around at what has been happening with peoples pre-orders I'm really glad I don't pre-order anything ever!

Yeah I'm thinking it can't be that big if not leaked yet. I'm guessing something around PSNow / PS+ integration and that enabling PS3 compatibility somehow. They must have a load of PS3 server farms for PSNow which aren't getting so much use. The idea of software demos via the store and cloud/PSNow is interesting - but you'd think all the chips they can get would be ploughed into actual PS5s at this point.

Zadom

Looks like Bugsnax and Astros playroom are getting great reviews. Is it possible PlayStations highest rated launch games will be these 2 free games (counting Bugsnax as free on PS plus)? Can the reviews of Miles Morales and Demons Souls top them?

I think they will and if they do, what a great launch. Also Sackboy is getting very solid reviews.
pWNe4wh.jpg

Astros Playroom Metascore
Generally favorable reviewsbased on 48 Critic Reviews What's this?
0 days 11 hrs 35 mins 31 secs
until game release
  • Summary: Astro and his crew lead you on a magical introduction through PS5 in this fun platformer that comes pre-loaded on PS5. Explore four worlds, each based on PS5’s console components. Each area showcases innovative gameplay that taps into the new features of the PS5’s DualSense wireless controller.
  • Developer: JapanStudio, Team Asobi
  • Genre(s): Action, Platformer, 3D
  • Cheats: On GameFAQs
  • More Details and Credits »

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
So I guess my headset came from Target today afterall. Does anyone know if this charger is safe to use for charging the Pulse 3D headset? (The headset manual is on the left, charger is on the right)

DKpuOkb.jpg

I just realized something. In RDR2 I prefer using its 1080p mode as its cleaner and sharper than the 1800p checkerboard mode, but how will I be able to use 1080p mode on PS5 if all Pro enhanced games just get downsampled?

inflation

So I guess my headset came from Target today afterall. Does anyone know if this charger is safe to use for charging the Pulse 3D headset? (The headset manual is on the left, charger is on the right)

DKpuOkb.jpg
I don't think you can. The spec is pretty much standard USB 2.0 power.

Compsiox

Banned
Why is Cold War releasing only a couple days (or in this case a day) after these consoles are launching. What a pain. You need to pick up the console and then come back the next day for the game.

Last edited:

inflation

Why is Cold War releasing only a couple days (or in this case a day) after these consoles are launching. What a pain. You need to pick up the console and then come back the next day for the game.
For us plebs who may grab one at launch"lollipop_disappointed:

Last edited:
Yeah I'm thinking it can't be that big if not leaked yet. I'm guessing something around PSNow / PS+ integration and that enabling PS3 compatibility somehow. They must have a load of PS3 server farms for PSNow which aren't getting so much use. The idea of software demos via the store and cloud/PSNow is interesting - but you'd think all the chips they can get would be ploughed into actual PS5s at this point.

My guess is free PS3 games on PS Now for PS+ subscribers.

I don’t see PS Now streaming PS5 games unless they’ve done a stealth overhaul of their servers.

I am sure much it is going to go over like a box of blood covered rocks. But hey whatever

I thought it was pretty fair and useful; no need to waste time on hype. Basically, if one can afford it and is more excited about Demon's than you, then great, otherwise probably better to wait. Hard to argue with that.

Mine's on the way, but I also don't already have a Pro, which is another factor.

TLZ

Banned
I love the thing, but the stand is cheap and bad man. It just doesn't go with the PS5. It looks nice and premium, but that stand.... Ugh. They should've found a better solution.

I'm talking about my experience with it btw. I just put it together and doesn't feel right.

Last edited:
I love the thing, but the stand is cheap and bad man. It just doesn't go with the PS5. It looks nice and premium, but that stand.... Ugh. They should've found a better solution.

I'm talking about my experience with it btw. I just put it together and doesn't feel right.
well you only touch it once hopefully. Sony needs to cut corners here and there

KrisB

Picked mine up at 730am this morning. (Australia)and loving it already, ui is very fast and sleek. Having the store baked in is so much better.

Have only played 20 or so minute of Days Gone on my lunch break and it looks great.

Bugsnax seems to be killing it on the reviews so might have to download it for my daughter.

TLZ

Banned
Oh, I just remembered the EB store rep told me they had around 600 PS5s all gone and they'll be getting more in December and January.

KrisB

It really is crazy how quickly the stock got snapped up. Only a handful of my friends managed to get their preorders in on time. Rest are looking like waiting for after January at this rate.

mitchman

Gold Member

DKpuOkb.jpg
Should be fine. I use a single charger to charge all "small battery gear" I have.

Damn I'm so jealous of you all, I just yesterday placed order on sony-kd-55xh9005 (one store over here in Poland had a 11% cut on a price for 2 days because 11.11 date so I thought I'll bite lol) but I won't be getting PS5 till next year ;( Have fun you all

Zones

DKpuOkb.jpg
Yes, it's most certainly safe.

As a general note, you need to look out for the device's voltage and see if it matches the output voltage of the charger.

In this case, both are 5Vs, therefore there's nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Yes, it's most certainly safe.

As a general note, you need to look out for the device's voltage and see if it matches the output voltage of the charger.

In this case, both are 5Vs, therefore there's nothing to worry about.
Nice! What had me confused was that the charger seemed to be outputting 5V but then says 2A which seemed to be too much compared to the headset's manual saying its input was rated at 5V for only 0.65A.

Having no idea whatsoever if that mattered, I figured I'd leave it up to people who know more about it than me. So it's great if I can just have this plugged into a wall and have a dedicated charging spot for the controller and headset that never has to be plugged into the system.

Last edited:
Anybody know if the spiderman preorder bonus's are dead now? I just ordered it on PSN but didn't see any mention of it. Do they immediately kill that when it comes out? Just wondering because I thought most of those preorder bonuses stay active for a bit after the game comes out these days.

Zones

Nice! What had me confused was that the charger seemed to be outputting 5V but then says 2A which seemed to be too much compared to the headset's manual saying its input was rated at 5V for only 0.65A.

Having no idea whatsoever if that mattered, I figured I'd leave it up to people who know more about it than me. So it's great if I can just have this plugged into a wall and have a dedicated charging spot for the controller and headset that never has to be plugged into the system.
A general rule regarding chargers/batteries is that voltage mismatch is incredibly critical and should be avoided at all cost, whereas ampere mismatch doesn't pose any risk whatsoever.

If a wall charger has a higher rated Amp compared to the source device like in your current case, then that's great! It means the sources device (your Pulse 3D Headset) will pull the full exact required current it needs from the charger. Your headset will never even draw a tiny bit extra higher power compared to its rated ampere. Also worth mentioning that no device will ever over charge due to a mismatched ampere rating (but it may very likely due to a mismatched voltage rating).

However, if the Amp is rated lower compared to the source device, then what happens is that it will charge slower than the device's full potential. For example, if you use 1A charger on an iPad, it will still charge it perfectly safe, except it will be slower than using a 2A charger.

I'm very stressed about my PS5 coming from Best Buy now. They sent me an email 12 hours ago saying it shipped. As of now it still says label created but UPS hasn't got the item yet. In the past, I've had items from Best Buy say this and never end up getting delivered to UPS. I've had to call and have Best Buy send another one. Thing is they won't be able to do that as PS5s aren't readily available. God I really hope this isn't what's about to happen.

Anybody know if the spiderman preorder bonus's are dead now? I just ordered it on PSN but didn't see any mention of it. Do they immediately kill that when it comes out? Just wondering because I thought most of those preorder bonuses stay active for a bit after the game comes out these days.

Would like to know this as well.

I know it’s packed in with physical but I’d rather get the digital version

TLZ

Banned
If I remember correct from the teardown video, there are two small markers on the fin to show you where to position it?
I don't know. But I don't expect people to be searching youtube videos when they're unboxing their PS5s and trying to figure out the stand when placing the PS5 horizontally. Maybe it's in the little booklet, don't know. I never read those :pie_grinning_sweat:

Top Bottom