• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Pro | First Previews Are Up

AW_CL

native 4k vs PSSR
UK63r99.png

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yeah, I was just about to say.....I don't think PayPal is an option on PS Direct. But you were right about the charge at shipping.

75cGMAy.png

Yeah it looks like they just change PayPal without going to the PayPal payment options.
So it's a straight forward charge to your account.

Bojji

GG don't use PSSR and developed completely new tech that they will be using in future titles. I wonder what's the reason here, is they tech using ML hardware or not? If not, isn't this kinda stupid and worse than PSSR on fundamental level?

delishcaek

Neo Member
From The Verge :
  • Dragon's Dogma II: PS5 Pro mode currently hitting 55–60fps VRR in the city, capped at 60fps outside, at PSSR-upscaled 4K resolution. Wouldn't discuss internal resolution.
Oliver said that there are some issues with the Pro version, apparently PSSR breaks RTGI and the gameplay stretch from the city they have seen never hit 60, it was "stable" in the 50s. Internal resolution seems to be 1080p, PSSR to 4K.

Will clean up nicely with VRR. What I noticed from their clip was no NPC pop in, much more important to me. Looking forward to that optimization patch hitting PC.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The image stability of TLOU2 is pretty bad. It has the weakest implementation so far. Best is probably F1 2024 which looks amazing. Then again, DLSS on PC also has its issues in this game, so it could just be that it's not playing nice with upscaling.

Last edited:
GG don't use PSSR and developed completely new tech that they will be using in future titles. I wonder what's the reason here, is they tech using ML hardware or not? If not, isn't this kinda stupid and worse than PSSR on fundamental level?
They likely found a solution which can beat PSSR in render time and which is unique or customised to their engine. Likely also being accelerated by ML.

Look like Forbidden West it's the best game alongside FF VII to run on the Pro. From DF, Horizon had the best image quality in the whole preview event.

Guerrilla Games' Horizon Forbidden West was included in the Pro reveal, but we found it hard to describe exactly what they'd changed in the new version of the game.

The answer is pretty fascinating - rather than traditional checkerboarding or PSSR, Guerilla is using a new anti-aliasing reconstruction method that looks incredibly impressive when it comes to stability and resolving fine detail, like in foliage or character weapons. The image does look a little soft in comparison to the pin-sharp TAA in the original, but for our money the new game had the best image quality in the whole preview event.

The upshot of this is that this new 60fps performance mode on PS5 Pro actually looks better than the old quality mode on the base PS5. There's also a quality mode that renders the game out at a full native 4K much of the time. Both modes also benefit from improved lighting, better visual effects and changes to hair and skin rendering.

Mownoc

It actually supports outputting 8k (upscaled) games to 8k TVs. Wasn't expecting that. Not that anyone owns an 8k TV.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Sending Oliver was a good move. I came away very pleased with the Pro and DF did a job 10x better than Sony at selling me this product. Then again, monkeys slinging feces at each other would have done a better job at marketing the Pro than that embarrassing reveal.

Insomniac already improved their PSSR implementation from the Pro reveal, apparently they had a sharpening filter process earlier from the PS5 version but then realized PSSR already makes the image very sharp so they removed it to get better image stability, which is what Oliver complained about at the Pro reveal with Ratchet etc.

Insomniac saying PSSR updates internally improved it significantly, improving ghosting and reducing runtime and expects more improvements over time.

kevboard

wait. so Horizon Forbidden West uses a new in-house temporal reconstruction method?
so that begs the question, will they backport that to the base PS5? since it doesn't use any proprietary hardware that only the Pro would have, it should be doable right?

Zuzu

Are they mocking John?

Talking about disrespecting people...

No the developer wasn’t mocking John, it seemed he was just expressing his genuine preference for the new performance mode over the 30fps quality mode. I’m just a bit surprised with how honest and candid both he and Cerny are about 30fps (Cerny called it “choppy” in that reveal video). I’m all for it since 30fps is pretty rubbish most of the time in modern games. I just thought they’d choose to be more politically correct and not outright dog on 30fps in public. But it’s good to see some the emphasis and importance that 60fps is getting on consoles these days. If you start watching the video at around 17mins and watch until 17:30 you’ll see his statement and some of the context around it.

Last edited:
Just a question, when games run at 8k, does Playstation do downscale to lower resolution screen, for that extra crisp picture? As far as I know Xbox does this
I would think upscaling to 8k then downscaling to the final resolution would give worse results than upscaling only to the final resolution in the first place... but I guess it really depends on the upscaler. If it is actually outputting native 8k then yeah I would hope it can downscale.

Insomniac already improved their PSSR implementation from the Pro reveal, apparently they had a sharpening filter process earlier from the PS5 version but then realized PSSR already makes the image very sharp so they removed it to get better image stability, which is what Oliver complained about at the Pro reveal with Ratchet etc.

Insomniac saying PSSR updates internally improved it significantly, improving ghosting and reducing runtime and expects more improvements over time.
Yeah this caught my attention I'm super excited for future titles built on PSSR natively with all of the upgrades that ML is providing over time

Top Bottom