• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Pro | First Previews Are Up

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm Just waiting on confirmation from Sony on when the Ltd edition pre order goes live. Seems really shit that they arent communicating it

kaizenkko

Honestly, I can see a improvement in Final Fantasy VII Rebirth and Dragon's Dogma 2. All the other games runs just fine on base PS5. Still not sold on this one.

AngelMuffin

TL;DR: a $700 pro console performs better than a $500 non-pro console.
Shocked Patrick Stewart GIF
$400 non-pro console

Neofire

Honestly, I can see a improvement in Final Fantasy VII Rebirth and Dragon's Dogma 2. All the other games runs just fine on base PS5. Still not sold on this one.
I agree a bit on what you are saying but at the end of the day this is an enthusiast system for individuals invested in the PlayStation ecosystem.

kaizenkko

I agree a bit on what you are saying but at the end of the day this is an enthusiast system for individuals invested in the PlayStation ecosystem.
I think I can call myself a enthusiast and extremly invested in Playstation ecosystem, but I still can't saw a big value on this console (price vs what it delivery). If it were cheaper, maybe I would think in trade my regular PS5 for it, but costing that much for me makes more sense just wait the PS6.

Maybe with the time and a great support for developers it can be worth, but right now, definitely no.

SweetTooth

Gold Member
PS5 is the base console, a marvelous piece of technology, games should run well on it and typically you won't need Pro to enjoy the reminder of this generation.

Pro is for subset of enthusiasts who need that extra omph of performance that rivals best PC GPUs on the markets with a fraction of the cost.

Anchovie123

Wow. F1 devs went all out, even more so then the first party studios. F1, GT7 and Hogwarts seem to be the only ones that did anything other then improving image quality with PSSR. Horizon is a weird one, seems to be better draw distance and only slightly better IQ?

Neofire

I think I can call myself a enthusiast and extremly invested in Playstation ecosystem, but I still can't saw a big value on this console (price vs what it delivery). If it were cheaper, maybe I would think in trade my regular PS5 for it, but costing that much for me makes more sense just wait the PS6.

Maybe with the time and a great support for developers it can be worth, but right now, definitely no.
I can respect your standpoint. Hopefully others will feel the same so it'll be easier for me to get one 🤣

-F1 looks so good, wow, i skipped last 2 entries, F1 21 was already looking good, but it seems they keep improving it a lot, good on Codemasters.

-FF7 Rebirth is simply day and night, good on Square for this work, but what the fuck did they do with the PS5 version lmao.

-Hogwarts is probably the most impressive graphically, tho it's the only one with a 30 FPS version shown in the Pro i think?

-On the first party side, GT7 looks a bit weak, lots of artifacts on that track at least.

-The rest of Sony games are more or less just a bit worse than the quality mode but on 60 FPS, not bad.

PSSR is so much better than FSR, but from some stuff seen, it's still not on XeSS level, much less on DLSS one, Patience.

As i said before, i think the biggest differences will be on the third parties, Sony's first party games are still looking good even on the performance mode on PS5, you can tell there's a lot of work and resources on the optimization.

Very curious to see more of Alan Wake 2, Cyberpunk or Black Myth Wukong

SweetTooth

Gold Member
-F1 looks so good, wow, i skipped last 2 entries, F1 21 was already looking good, but it seems they keep improving it a lot, good on Codemasters.

-FF7 Rebirth is simply day and night, good on Square for this work, but what the fuck did they do with the PS5 version lmao.

-Hogwarts is probably the most impressive graphically, tho it's the only one with a 30 FPS version shown in the Pro i think?

-On the first party side, GT7 looks a bit weak, lots of artifacts on that track at least.

-The rest of Sony games are more or less just a bit worse than the quality mode but on 60 FPS, not bad.

PSSR is so much better than FSR, but from some stuff seen, it's still not on XeSS level, much less on DLSS one, Patience.

As i said before, i think the biggest differences will be on the third parties, Sony's first party games are still looking good even on the performance mode on PS5, you can tell there's a lot of work and resources on the optimization.

Very curious to see more of Alan Wake 2, Cyberpunk or Black Myth Wukong
Im genuinely curious, can you elaborate the bolded?

Kangx

So the biggest weakness of PSSR is image stability and the strongest point of PSSR is resolve more detail than native 4k with TAA. TLOU is the best example.

Holy shit at F1 though. The image look a bit softer than the fidelity but the graphic improvements is gigantic.

Horizon does look a bit softer than 4k DLSS on IGN comparison but it more stable. Image detail pretty comparable.
Look at the waterfall to see what I am talking about. The robots scene on the field look breath Taking though.

Guerrilla is going with a trade of here. They go for stability vs detail and at the moment they think it's benefit their games more than PSSR. Until PSSR improve the image stability issue, i think it's a pretty sensible upscale solution they have developed.

IGN has more footage on DD though. I think the image quality look so much better than the base. Can anybody do a comparison and line them up?

Kangx

XeSS have better image stability and that is it. On ghosting and clarity, PSSR is quite a bit better. XeSS is not even preferable over FSR 3.1 for some games.

Edit. I forgot to also mention that XeSS not on intel GPU does upscaling a lot worst at lower resolution without Hardware accelerated. This is why you don't see XeSS at console level and it also cost more frame time than FSR.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
Watched the ign comparison one, there’s no difference on GT7, parts of F1 2024 look better and nobody “studies” graphics as they play them, PS5 Pro is a novel thing, ps4 pro prepared people for this. I think it’s set up for new PS5 gamers.

panda-zebra

Wow. F1 devs went all out, even more so then the first party studios. F1, GT7 and Hogwarts seem to be the only ones that did anything other then improving image quality with PSSR. Horizon is a weird one, seems to be better draw distance and only slightly better IQ?
Realistically, it makes sense 3rd parties are better set up to more easily and readily implement the kinds of improvements ps5 Pro can bring to existing titles when their titles already support similar technologies consoles lack.

Sony's own studios have been designing to a very specific hardware target for years already, their 1p will have had hands on a Pro target and likely had access to specs earlier than the rest, but it's the 3rd parties that should be able to adapt what they already have better/quicker/easier on the whole. I think that's why some of the Sony offerings seem a little lesser atm. Going forwards this will right itself.

Last edited:
Just my opinion obviously as there's almost nothing to compare to just yet.

But the artifacts and amount of visual noise in GT7 ( i dont even know the internal resolution tho), or image stability in TLOU 2 / Rebirth (in this case it could be also the own game's fault?) looks a bit worse than what i've seen from XeSS, but yea console isn't even out, DF hasn't been able to do comparisons yet, PSSR hasn't been given time to improve... etc

Stuff like Alan Wake 2 or Cyberpunk if it gets upgraded will be perfect to know where's each upscaler at right now

PS4 pro and especially Xbox one x was a massive improvement over the original Xbox one and PS4 since most of the TV's were 4k and the consoles werent they actually server a purpose.
This I just don't understand, I know it's an enthusiast product but it still doesn't make sense to me.
Oh look raytracing in f1 2024 and gt 7 does that warrant a new console?
I don't think so

Top Bottom