• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Pro | First Previews Are Up

Bojji

Sick Jim Carrey GIF

You Got It Wink GIF by Lansing Lugnuts

Show me some native 8k game on pro, or what are internal resolutions of gt7 and F1 in 8k mode...

Only reason why PS5 don't have 8k output is fucked up HDMI chip that only offers 32Gb/s. Otherwise we would have upscaled 8k already.

I already mentioned the 10%.

If it were optimisation then the base PS5 will also get the same improvements within a 10% margin of the Pro, that hasn't proven to be the case thus far.

More than happy to revisit this with you lads when the final results come in, but so far it appears the claims that the CPU would prevent the pro having improved framerates over the base PS5 are horribly misinformed.

Base PS5 version should be around that FPS range too, since the last update some days ago, yes:

I can't find a PS5 version video, but if i recall correctly that one was better than the Xbox one so..

Optimization it is yes, probably removing most NPC's or making them appear when they are just a couple meters from your position, there's still some big drops when a lot of them appear suddenly, but actual consoles can already reach 50+ FPS too in cities.

Vick

Gold Member
Show me some native 8k game on pro, or what are internal resolutions of gt7 and F1 in 8k mode...
1) No one ever talked about native 8K though, just PSSR reconstructed. But this never stopped the mockery, because:

They are fucking delusional hoping for 8k on 45% more powerful console when many games are barely better than 720p on base machine, lol.

2) Internal resolution native 4K to PSSR 8K, with even additional RT settings (shadows) unique to this mode, according to DF.

The image stability of TLOU2 is pretty bad. It has the weakest implementation so far. Best is probably F1 2024 which looks amazing. Then again, DLSS on PC also has its issues in this game, so it could just be that it's not playing nice with upscaling.
I'm pretty sure, almost 100%, the stability "issues" of Part II footage is due to max grain settings enabled, as PSSR is resolving the effect in much more noticeable way to the point you can almost see individual, simulated obviously, metallic silver's particles. Unlike their previous TAA + Sharpening, which resolved grain as a subtle, almost transparent noise veil.

The Pro reveal Part II footage had no grain enabled, and clearly had no stability issue. Nor there was any mention of it in the DF analysis.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
1) No one ever talked about native 8K though, just PSSR reconstructed. But this never stopped the mockery, because:
Whenever we talk about resolution, we always mean native because upscaling can have the base resolution as low as 25% as the output resolution. Let's not start moving the goalposts. If the PS5 has an internal res of 1080p outputing at 4K, it's not 4K, just like DLSS Performance Mode is never called 4K. Else, I can call DLSS Ultra Performance with an internal res of like 720p, 4K.

Gran Turismo is already native 4K60 on PS5 I believe. Upscaling to 8K certainly isn't impossible. Admittedly, I was expecting a lower internal res (like 1800p) because the cost of PSSR seemed higher than I initially believed.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
So I'm going to have to get this and it's cool to be able to play GTA VI at 60 at launch possibly, but I hate that this guarantees cross-gen 3 years into PS6's life.

Vick

Gold Member
Whenever we talk about resolution, we always mean native because upscaling can have the base resolution as low as 25% as the output resolution. Let's not start moving the goalposts.
You're free to read the discussions from those quotes I provided. This is not the case.

Many were simply saying GT7 runs at 8K, obviously reconstructed by PSSR, because of the CNET preview. And were met by mockery of all sorts because only retards believe in this kind marketing, because DLSS 8K is useless and no PC gamer does this and things of this sort.
I you don't want to bother, I can post those messages for you.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Only reason why PS5 don't have 8k output is fucked up HDMI chip that only offers 32Gb/s. Otherwise we would have upscaled 8k already.
Nobody whips out the "native" dick whenever DLSS is in the picture, which is 99% of the time now (and PC games bitch when a game doesn't support it).... so why all of a sudden are we doing this for a console with a similar solution in PSSR?

Painfully transparent damage control.

Gaiff

because DLSS 8K is useless and no PC gamer does this and things of this sort.
It's still the case lol.
Nobody whips out the "native" dick whenever DLSS is in the picture, which is 99% of the time now (and PC games bitch when a game doesn't support it).... so why all of a sudden are we doing this for a console with a similar solution in PSSR?

Painfully transparent damage control.
Now you're just flat-out lying. We always mention the internal res when we talk about DLSS. People go so far as bitching when devs mention the res only with DLSS and want to know NATIVE because DLSS is a "crutch". Whenever you see reviews from DF, GN, or HU, they always mention the kind of DLSS they use. NOBODY ever tries to pass off DLSS as native 4K. We always mention when it's in use. What we do say is that it's sometimes almost as good or sometimes even better than native, so why wouldn't you use it (same applies to the Pro)? The input res is always mentioned because not mentioning it is straight-up misleading. Now we're going to move the goalposts and pretend that with the Pro, we don't mean native resolution? Stop with this shit.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's still the case lol.

Now you're just flat-out lying. We always mention the internal res when we talk about DLSS. People go so far as bitching when devs mention the res only with DLSS and want to know NATIVE because DLSS is a crutch. Whenever you see reviews from DF, GN, or HU, they always mention the kind of DLSS they use. NOBODY ever tries to pass off DLSS as native 4K. We always mention when it's in use. What we do say is that it's sometimes almost as good or sometimes even better than native, so why wouldn't you use it? The input res is always mentioned because not mentioning it is straight-up misleading.
Bullshit.

Nobody does it to denounce DLSS or an nVidia card like what's going on in here. In fact, they praise the tech more often than not.

Gaiff

Bullshit.

Nobody does it to denounce DLSS or an nVidia card like what's going on in here. In fact, they praise the tech more often than not.
Who spoke about denouncing? Quit playing the victim. The point is, whenever we talk about resolution, we always mean native or we mention the upscaling used. If I say I run X game at 4K, you will understand that I mean native 4K. Otherwise, I will say 4K DLSS Quality, Performance, or what have you. Don't try to lie about this.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Who spoke about denouncing? Quit playing the victim. The point is, whenever we talk about resolution, we always mean native or we mention the upscaling used. If I say I run X game at 4K, you will understand that I mean native 4K. Otherwise, I will say 4K DLSS Quality, Performance, or what have you. Don't try to lie about this.
Quit gaslighting and being purposely obtuse. Your boy that you're sticking up for has been downplaying the Pro in every tech thread for weeks with weird shit no one brings up with such fervor when it comes to DLSS game in 4K/60.

"Acksshwuaallllyyy..." that's y'all right about now.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Quit gaslighting and being purposely obtuse. Your boy that you're sticking up for has been downplaying the Pro in every tech thread for weeks with weird shit no one brings up with such fervor when it comes to DLSS game in 4K/60.

"Acksshwuaallllyyy..." that's y'all right about now.
I'm not sticking up for anyone but myself. I haven't been downplaying the Pro in the slightest, on the contrary.

And yes, we do bring up the type of DLSS used all the damn time. WTF are you talking about?

Last edited:

Gaiff

I never even quoted you before you went on "you're a liar" tangent, so whatcha trying to get off your chest?
Are you okay? You quoted me twice.

I'm saying that whenever DLSS is brought up, we always mention it along with the upscaling quality.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
Are you okay? You quoted me twice.
He's referring to the first message you quoted, which wasn’t directed at you specifically.

I mean, we all have our preferences but at least you proved more than once to be one of those objective users who can still call a spade a spade when they see it. That other guy he was talking to... eh.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Not you, but there were some incredibly dismissive posts regarding 8k and PSSR even when the discussion was in the context of upscaling. So where are we on this? DF says there is an 8K mode in GT7. Seems like a lot of early takes on this were just wrong.

BwB7o7Z.png

Gaiff

He's referring to the first message you quoted, which wasn’t directed at you specifically.

I mean, we all have our preferences but at leaast you're one of those objective users who can still call a spade a spade when you see it. That other guy he was talking to... eh.
I misunderstood. Whatever the case, I maintain that 8K is useless native or DLSS/PSSR. If you have that much rendering power on tap, use it for something else. I'd much rather have something like ray-traced shadows, better AF, or really anything over resolution when I'm already at 4K Native anyway.

Unless you have a giant 100" TV, there is absolutely no reason to go above 4K.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I misunderstood. Whatever the case, I maintain that 8K is useless native or DLSS/PSSR. If you have that much rendering power on tap, use it for something else. I'd much rather have something like ray-traced shadows, better AF, or really anything over resolution when I'm already at 4K Native anyway.

This, I absolutely agree with. Don't really see the point in 8k.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

Some early impressions on the 8K of GT7 were glowing about how clear it looks.

But I don't have an 8K TV, and I'm not buying one just for this, 4K looks rather good enough. Eventually 8K will be a thing and I will get an 8K TV but hardware isnt there yet

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

But I don't have an 8K TV, and I'm not buying one just for this, 4K looks rather good enough. Eventually 8K will be a thing and I will get an 8K TV but hardware isnt there yet
Yeah, they mention that the clarity is more surreal when looking at it in motion.

As others have mentioned, I'd rather have upscaled 4K via PSSR and extra horsepower used for graphical bells and whistles such as volumetrics, lighting and advanced world phsyics.

Vick

Gold Member

I totally agree, obviously.
And not even the bolded actually, 4K is still perfectly fine on home theaters way above 100".

Gaiff

Seen 8K in person. Wasn't impressed at all. For GT7, I'd do something like 1440p using PSSR to upscale to 4K and go for 120fps. Way better use of your resources than 8K.

Hell, I don't even care about 4K all that much. Above 1440p, it's pretty far down my list. It would have been cool if PD had done what the guys did for F1 2024. The Pro version looks way better thanks to the DGI or whatever it was called and shadows.

This is way better than pixels.

PCxbria.png

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Seen 8K in person. Wasn't impressed at all. For GT7, I'd do something like 1440p using PSSR to upscale to 4K and go for 120fps. Way better use of your resources than 8K.

Hell, I don't even care about 4K all that much. Above 1440p, it's pretty far down my list. It would have been cool if PD had done what the guys did for F1 2024. The Pro version looks way better thanks to the DGI or whatever it was called and shadows.

PCxbria.png
Agreed. The Pro RT mode for GT7 closely matches the reveal trailer now. Makes it "pop" and look more realistic in motion.

PCxbria.png
It really does look close to a generational leap

King Dazzar

FWIW I've got an 8k TV, but I'll be focused on 4k PS5 modes (then upscaled by my panel). I may give GT7 a go in its 8k mode, but it would only be for a novelty factor. However the claim that you need 100" TV to see the difference simply isnt true. And to say thers no difference simply isnt true either. Its just the difference is a subtle, but noticeable refinement. 4k is still the sweet spot.

Gaiff

FWIW I've got an 8k TV, but I'll be focused on 4k PS5 modes (then upscaled by my panel). I may give GT7 a go in its 8k mode, but it would only be for a novelty factor. However the claim that you need 100" TV to see the difference simply isnt true. And to say thers no difference simply isnt true either. Its just the difference is a subtle, but noticeable refinement. 4k is still the sweet spot.
Not saying you need a 100" TV to see the difference, I'm saying you need a huge TV to truly appreciate it. Your performance will probably tank by more than half going from 4K to 8K without upscaling. It better be worth it. As you say, it's subtle. No way will I destroy my performance for that.

Last edited:

XXL

However the claim that you need 100" TV to see the difference simply isnt true. And to say thers no difference simply isnt true either. Its just the difference is a subtle, but noticeable refinement. 4k is still the sweet spot.
Donald Trump Republicans GIF by Election 2016

100%

Eventually 8K TVs will mass market and the standard going forward. It's just not there yet, but to think TVs will stop at 4K is crazy talk.

King Dazzar

Not saying you need a 100" TV to see the difference, I'm saying you need a huge TV to truly appreciate it. Your performance will probably tank by more than half going from 4K to 8K without upscaling. It better be worth it. As you say, it's subtle. No way will I destroy my performance for that.
The magic with my panel is more in what it does with the 4k upscale. Normally and historically I'm usually for 1:1 pixel mapping. But 4k on my 8k panel looks better than 4k on my 4k panels. And I've had multiple top tier 4k OLED's and still own one too. So for me my 8k TV actually shines with 4k content. My panel also hits some HDR limitations in its 8k mode (1k nit luminance) but reaches 3k nit with 4k content. And due to HDMI 2.1 you lose the chroma too as bandwidth is going to force 8k to drop from 444 to 420 at 60fps.

I'll give GT7 a go though...

DavidGzz

Gold Member
What are everyone's plan on securing a preorder? I was going to send my daughter to Gamestop tomorrow when they open but I don't even know if they are getting any. They closed already so I can't call and ask. Amazon?

Vick

Gold Member
Eventually 8K TVs will mass market and the standard going forward. It's just not there yet, but to think TVs will stop at 4K is crazy talk.
And will be as pointless, destructive and marketing-driven as the race to megapixels was.

8K panels.. with native 360p motion resolution at best. Absolutely hysterical.
Until better tech than OLED, and surely LCD, comes, free from nonsensical power consumption caps, useless screen depth and weight requirements.. resolution is the absolute least of current panels problems.

We need to go back to phosphor images. We need proper near-black performances, we need FULL native motion resolution that's currently not even half of what decade old plasmas were doing. This is what we need.
It would stop immediately the race to 120fps to say one, as natively blur-free 60fps on a CRT/Pana Plasma is equivalent to insane shit like 1.000fps on a LCD screen in terms of fluidity and perceived resolution, meaning resources spent on better visuals. And we need those resources, because once, hopefully, full path tracing at 60fps becomes the norm, we'll need to move to fluid simulations and focus on physics.

GENERATIONAL LEAP the DF guy said about GT7.. I must be blind...

B1kCBg6.png
Ray tracing was enabled. Look at the reflection of the green car( pagani) on the black car that is there on ps5pro but missing on ps5. It will be even more noticeable in rainy weather, more cars on track( especially when you are side by side or close by), while playing in vr, etc.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Ray tracing was enabled. Look at the reflection of the green car( pagani) on the black car that is there on ps5pro but missing on ps5. It will be even more noticeable in rainy weather, more cars on track( especially when you are side by side or close by), while playing in vr, etc.

Exactly.

Ray Tracing @ 60 fps ain't cheap. That's why it wasn't available on the basic PS5

For a car game, RT can really add to the immersion

Last edited:

n0razi

I hope PS6 brings true 4K so we can stop jerking around with this PISSR bs upscaling 480p to 8K.

I hope PS6 stays at faux 4K and 30fps so I can read more meltdowns online... it's WAY more entertaining than playing video games; cheaper too!

Top Bottom