• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Beta Thread - Online as smooth as butter

I'm positive it's been said before but they NEED to have a score counter on screen at all times.

No, they dont. It truly is better this way, and once u play u will see why this is the case: there is absolutely no real reason to know or any time to care. Nor is it hard in a 2 minute match to keep track of the top player in case u want to go after him/her

We will see "lives" for stock mode though

Had few games with gaffers yay. 2 with Kevin and 1 with Tribal. One Kevin match tho was bugged as all hell. I hope SB has enough time to iron this out before release.

DigitalOp

Banned
I suppose it could have that effect, but I just find it annoying to have to try to keep track of that stuff, especially if it's a close match. You could think you're winning because perhaps missed someone else getting a kill and lose the match because of it.

Easy way to solve that issue..... Never stop killing

The beta made me think about how much it helps to have the game in your hands to understand it. If Superbot put out an offline demo (I'm sure that would be easy enough) they could hook in a lot of people that way I bet that just wanted to give it a try

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
You're alive! I've been wondering where you went.

You played the same build at E3, right?

Yeah, this seems like the build. It was only 6 characters, and they were showing off the Vita/PS3 cross play. I didn't get to play as Big Daddy and Drake, since they were in another part of the show floor

I just finished my first two matches. Got owned hard in the first, came in 2nd in the second.

It's really weird finally being able to play it on my big screen. Lol. Maybe it's because my TV is big that I don't feel like the camera is a problem. I do think that there should definitely be some color coding for when you are killed, and when supers are ready.

Since the main colors are Blue, Yellow, Red, and Green, I think your kill color, and super meter aura should reflect that color.

I'm having a great time, even though I'm losing. Lol. It's one of the things that I've always loved about Smash is that, even when getting owned, it's still such a blast.

The game feels really good, and so far, no bugs. I'll give more impressions in a bit. I'm sticking with Kratos for a while, since I really want to learn him. I'll give corporate's move sheet a look see...

Yeah, this seems like the build. It was only 6 characters, and they were showing off the Vita/PS3 cross play. I didn't get to play as Big Daddy and Drake, since they were in another part of the show floor

I just finished my first two matches. Got owned hard in the first, came in 2nd in the second.

It's really weird finally being able to play it on my big screen. Lol. Maybe it's because my TV is big that I don't feel like the camera is a problem. I do think that there should definitely be some color coding for when you are killed, and when supers are ready.

Since the main colors are Blue, Yellow, Red, and Green, I think your kill color, and super meter aura should reflect that color.

I'm having a great time, even though I'm losing. Lol. It's one of the things that I've always loved about Smash is that, even when getting owned, it's still such a blast.

The game feels really good, and so far, no bugs. I'll give more impressions in a bit. I'm sticking with Kratos for a while, since I really want to learn him. I'll give corporate's move sheet a look see...

A lot of people say that thing about the super meter. To me it just makes sense to have the aura be one individual color. The same color as the AP orbs...Of course we could throw that all out and make it like the LBP orbs :p haha

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
A lot of people say that thing about the super meter. To me it just makes sense to have the aura be one individual color. The same color as the AP orbs...Of course we could throw that all out and make it like the LBP orbs :p haha

Perhaps. Maybe not the kill aura, but the aura when you respawn. It is really hard to see where you respawn when the camera gets pulled far back.

Just won my first match as Kratos! 7 points. 4 kills, 1 death! Good times. I was fighting against two other Kratos' and a PaRappa.

I basically stuck to my Level 1 super. It sucks when it misses, but you can take out 2 or more people with one well timed swipe.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Im beginning to agree that Sly can get AP a little too fast. His Super 1 is dirty fast, compared to someone like Fat P's

What do u guys think Kratos as an opponent?

Kratos is crazy good. There's no single thing good about him, but he has tons of speed and really fast attack rates. Luckily most of them suck and like to use hammer attacks over and over again for no good reason. Neutral square is where its at, both ground and air. I was really suprised how easy it was building super as Kratos. His level 2 is bad but his level 1 is great and his level 3 maybe the best in the beta.

Radac may have better FFA abusive stuff, and sly's level 1 and 2 is great at getting multi kills in FFA, but I think Kratos is likely the absolute best at 1v1 out of the 6.

Kratos is crazy good. There's no single thing good about him, but he has tons of speed and really fast attack rates. Luckily most of them suck and like to use hammer attacks over and over again for no good reason. Neutral square is where its at, both ground and air. I was really suprised how easy it was building super as Kratos. His level 2 is bad but his level 1 is great and his level 3 maybe the best in the beta.

Radac may have better FFA abusive stuff, and sly's level 1 and 2 is great at getting multi kills in FFA, but I think Kratos is likely the absolute best at 1v1 out of the 6.

I would have said Parappa. Omar wasn't kidding when he said they tried to make every character feel overpowered to balance this game. They all absolutely do to different people. It's remarkable how many times I've read x character is the best and everybody said something different

I agree whole heartedly about color coded auras and I think a more flashy effect on the HUD when you get a special would be nice too. I also just want to be able to be depicted/highlighted better in the game. Sometimes the darkness of all these characters just meshes, even someone like Sly against Kratos can be hard to distinguish. There is no need to have P2, P3, and P4 on the opponents' head. To me, right now, I just want better indicators

I find Kratos' to be very combat heavy in a lot of situations, he is very versatile especially in the air. He leaves no room to breathe as he can easily close a gap on you with his chains. He is hell when there are 2+ Kratos, I'm always getting bounced around. Im beginning to learn some of his moves and am trying to defend better

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I would have said Parappa. Omar wasn't kidding when he said they tried to make every character feel overpowered to balance this game. They all absolutely do to different people. It's remarkable how many times I've read x character is the best and everybody said something different

Parappa is mid teir, and anyone calling fat princess and Sweet Tooth overpowered are insane.

Still the gap between top and bottom tiers between these 6 is still very reasonable.

So a thought I just had....

In a stock 1v1 match, what's the point of saving for anything past a lvl 1?

The person you're fighting is really good at avoiding whatever your level 1 super is. That scenario is gonna be popular post-release with the actually good players I'm tellin ya.

libregkd

There isn't much really. I guess it would depend on the character, their level 2 may be easier to land in certain situations or something.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Good game, solidsnake!

That was a close one, I thought for sure Fat Princess had won that one, but I got it by 1 point! Lol.

1: If you can't get a good spot to use your super and just naturally get higher levels
2: If your opponent is good at dodgin/interrupting your lvl 1 super your lvl 2 can be easier to set up after combo
3: If your opponent is a fuckin beast at dodgin supers and you use Parappa or something.

Just a few reasons but 1on1 will definately be lvl 1 focused.

J-Tier

The person you're fighting is really good at avoiding whatever your level 1 super is. That scenario is gonna be popular post-release with the actually good players I'm tellin ya.

This is probably the best answer. I've managed to dodge all kinds of shenanigans and at higher levels of skill, I don't expect some level 1's to hit at all.

Jonboy

there isnt

well unless you want a lvl 3 for a guaranteed kill, and to be showoffish
Interesting. That's what I was afraid of. Stock matches will be dominated by characters like Sly who have superior lvl 1 supers.

Although...I suppose things could get really intense once people start getting really good at dodging the lvl 1 supers.

HiiiLife

So, sorry if this has been mentioned already. But if the open beta is released to the public, what are the chances the other characters will be available? Like Drake, Big Daddy?

Good game, solidsnake!

That was a close one, I thought for sure Fat Princess had won that one, but I got it by 1 point! Lol.

Yeah, good game! I thought I had it when a couple of people were grouped together and I did my Level 1. But someone jumped at just the right time and I only ended up hitting one person. :p

Jonboy

That's where I see the potential for an incredibly deep experience. Smash is really about knowing all the different ways to knock off an opponent, edge guarding, etc...

All-Stars seems like it's going to be more about dodging the supers. I know it's very early, but I think that's how we'll separate the boys from the men...at least in stock.

KevinCow

Banned

Higher chance of getting the kill with higher level supers.

If you see an opening to land that level 1, you're definitely better off landing it. But if your opponent is really good at dodging it, you might want to save up for a level 2.

Jonboy

The beta made me think about how much it helps to have the game in your hands to understand it. If Superbot put out an offline demo (I'm sure that would be easy enough) they could hook in a lot of people that way I bet that just wanted to give it a try
Agreed. I'm basically just button mashing right now and I absolutely hate doing that. Can't wait to mess around in a practice arena just to learn the moves and such.

J-Tier

Higher chance of getting the kill with higher level supers.

If you see an opening to land that level 1, you're definitely better off landing it. But if your opponent is really good at dodging it, you might want to save up for a level 2.

This is it for sure. Though I've found it to be quite easy to dodge Sweet Tooth's level 3 haha.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Yeah, good game! I thought I had it when a couple of people were grouped together and I did my Level 1. But someone jumped at just the right time and I only ended up hitting one person. :p

I definitely thought you got it, because you did the happy animation, and I did the sad one. Your Fat Princess was really good! I'm sticking wit Kratos to try and get really good with one character.

I'm starting to get the hang of his skills, and am working on how to combo them into other moves. I favor the Level 1 super, but I may try to go for a Level 2 eventually.

I've gotten pretty good at hitting 2 people with his Level 1, however.

evolution

It will depend on the character. I imagine more combos being brought out in 1v1 since it less chaotic than ffa. Since you can't cancel into a lvl 1 but you can with a lvl 2 it might be more beneficially to save for it.

SSReborn

I did Kratos's Square, Square, Triangle on all my opponents launching them in the air then finshed my combo with his level 2 special killing everybody. Amazing feeling.

Jonboy

It will depend on the character. I imagine more combos being brought out in 1v1 since it less chaotic than ffa. Since you can't cancel into a lvl 1 but you can with a lvl 2 it might be more beneficially to save for it.
Cancel lvl 2? What do u mean?

Gorillaz

so wait...what we download on ps plus can be used for any account or just that ps plus account?

Might end up getting in the beta with plus if it's still open.

Top Bottom