• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

KalBalboa

Banned
Tuesday is crazy for me too between Black Ops II, The Walking Dead, Vita PS+ and this.

I might take work off Tuesday, the more I think about it.

A bunch of my friends and I will be in our old hometown for the holidays this week too, so the timing couldn't be better for some old-school 4 player beat downs.

cyborg009

Banned
Ehhhhhhh, that's a bit extreme. That would just be a race to the bottom, figuring out who's the worst character and making your opponents pick them. Besides, that means you'd have to learn every character in the game in a week.

There would be so much trolling, lol.

2247976-okay_face_super.jpg

Just do what I'm doing: Plow through The Walking Dead in 2 hours and then play this game to let off some steam and stop your tears from flowing.

You know we could make this a more interesting if will allow are opponents to pick are characters for us.

That was actually one of my favourite modes in old school DotA. Such terrible picks lol.

Can you rank up just by playing offline or must it be done online? I want to unlock the alternate costumes but I'm not sure how much online I'll play versus offline.

You get rank from both and apparently you get the costumes REALLY fast.

DigitalOp

Banned
I need this game in my bloodstream.... so that the world may be mended ....

Really freaking hyped for this, y'all dont understand ... since elementary school, this game has been a fantasy and remained that way until now .... finally Monday night, its in my grasp

I have a really good feeling the dlc characters are gonna turn out fantastic

I'm in a quandary right now: Buy the game on PSN and not have the physical disc and go through the likelihood of server issues that stall downloading at 12:01 EST OR buy the game this weekend at my local store and pay a few dollars more but then not get the extra costumes and lastly, wait all the way until Tuesday afternoon to get the game at Gamestop.

Mr. Fix

I'm in a quandary right now: Buy the game on PSN and not have the physical disc and go through the likelihood of server issues that stall downloading OR buy the game this weekend at my local store but then not get the DLC OR wait all the way until tuesday afternoon to get the game at Gamestop.

They both seem like short-term problems, but you never know how long it'll be before they put up the DLC costumes on psn. I'd say go for your 1st or 3rd option.

I'm picking up the game on release, and will be playing it a bit. If these tournament matches are on the later timeframe (EST) then I can be a partner to somebody if needed.

Xater

I'm in a quandary right now: Buy the game on PSN and not have the physical disc and go through the likelihood of server issues that stall downloading at 12:01 EST OR buy the game this weekend at my local store and pay a few dollars more but then not get the extra costumes and lastly, wait all the way until Tuesday afternoon to get the game at Gamestop.

Here in Europe it said the PSN version will be downloadable on the 17th, you just can't play it right away.

They both seem like short-term problems, but you never know how long it'll be before they put up the DLC costumes on psn. I'd say go for your 1st or 3rd option.

I also have to work Tuesday morning at 8 so I wouldn't even be able to stay up and wait for the game to finish downloading. If the game could be pre-loaded I'd probably just buy on PSN. I could always get a PS3 game case and boxart online.

Yeah, costumes at level 10 which is apparently reachable with one playthrough of arcade. Definitely doing Raiden, Toro, and Big Daddy's arcades first for their alts.

I want things to be harder in this game, dammit.

I want to hear a lot more about the trials and challenges, I really hope they can be very challenging and have lots of unlockables for those. I am worried that these challenges arent as great as I initially thought they would be, because there should be no reason not to advertise it. Same goes for CTF, KoTH and "Free Roam". I'm guessing they all got axed.

I'm afraid they are just going to make newer costumes flat out DLC, which I dont have a problem with, but I would enjoy it if they made DLC for things like challenges and trials with moar costume unlocks.

I just want a wealth of content. I wonder if they can bring a ton more obscure titles in the form of name cards and all that. I mean, how hard is it to get like a Shadow of the Colossus namecard? It's just an art, the PSN store is filled with that for all kinds of titles.

Dont get me wrong, the game is chockfull, but they can really go all out with a bunch of other IPs without making them stages, or characters. The calling card concept is neat, and I think it'd be great if they made those really difficult, or really unique in the way of making it IP-specific. That way, fans of obscure games would rep games like Dark Cloud, Shadow, Final Fantasy, etc. Can't Sony at least have permission for measly text on a calling card, or is that also hard? Damn copyrights

Sadly I'm sure that's what it is. I seen at least 20 pages for player icons and battle backgrounds.

Ah so its loaded with content just like Mahvel. Yipee!

Its a good thing I bought this game only as a brawler. All I need is a good training mode, good netcode and solid fighting system

Ah so its loaded with content just like Mahvel. Yipee!

Its a good thing I bought this game only as a brawler. All I need is a good training mode, good netcode and solid fighting system

Yea I just accepted that I'm getting the game solely for playing online and having fun. It seems like almost all the unlocks are simple cards unless they have something up their sleeve.

Yea I just accepted that I'm getting the game solely for playing online and having fun. It seems like almost all the unlocks are simple cards unless they have something up their sleeve.

I don't know why I was expecting something creative. Hell UMVC3 did Heroes and Heralds (yes I know it was patched in) and that was fun for awhile.

Maybe the trials are something different. I only used trials to get a basic grasp of the character and then implement my own stuff. But Trials in an open-ended fighter like this one go so far in terms of viability. The trials for marvel were garbage almost all around.

SmithnCo

Would be nice if they added one of the "axed" modes as DLC later on. A KoTH mode would certainly make sense.

Online is definitely going to be the main draw for this one, much like MvC3 I don't expect much in terms of other content. Though this at least has the different intros, taunts, and win animations which is a nice touch.

I don't know why I was expecting something creative. Hell UMVC3 did Heroes and Heralds (yes I know it was patched in) and that was fun for awhile.

Maybe the trials are something different. I only used trials to get a basic grasp of the character and then implement my own stuff. But Trials in an open-ended fighter like this one go so far in terms of viability. The trials for marvel were garbage almost all around.

Yea from what I seen lately it seems like they spent most of their time getting the gameplay right but then modes and what not seem scarce. I mean that Ratchet arcade mode walkthrough was bare bone as hell. Fight after fight with nothing standing out to make it seem like you were doing arcade mode. No mutations or anything.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Wait. You guys are actually worried about amount of content now? Where were you guys a month ago when I was being worried about exactly that?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Just read that there are over 1000 unlockables in the game. Good stuff

500 - 750 titles I betacha.

I wouldn't be surprised if they actually count every colors.
one unlockable costume = 4 colors. one costume and 4 colors equal 5 for each character, 20 characters x 5 = 100 unlockable stuffs.

Wait. You guys are actually worried about amount of content now? Where were you guys a month ago when I was being worried about exactly that?

Buyer Regret Moments? :p

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the Scrafty Cup!*

Rules:
Games will be played with two teams of two players. The game mode will be first to five kill limit, and for the purpose of this tournament all items and stage hazards will be turned on. Once entry has closed on the 19th, matchups will be chosen at random. The bracket is single-elimination, so once you're out; you're out. Games will be played in a Best of 3 format, and photo proof of a team's victory (scoreboard) must be sent to the judge before said victory becomes official. Doctoring or editing of photos is strictly illegal, and will be punishable by disqualification. The time and date of your match must be agreed upon with your teammate and your oponnent beforehand so that the judge is aware of when the match will take place. Winner gets a cool thing!

2 vs 2 Teams
Time-is-Obsolete - Man-is-Obsolete (Man-is-Obsolete) and TimeEffect
ScraftyDesmond - Desmond and ScraftyDevil (emeraldphoenix7)
Mink 'n' Stein - TheMink and JStein
Då Vikings's - Drencrom (Drencrom) and Napalm_frank (NapalmFrank)
BaHeathMut - Bahamut_24(maxbahamut24) and IntelliHeath (IntelliHeath)
SmithnCow - SmithnCo (smithnco) and KevinCow
The Jentlefriends - Jtir123 and J's brother
Toronto Bros. - AnkiRendan (AnkiRendan) and SSReborn (Klipz-Wish)
Artful Dodgers - Tagg9 (Tagg7) and Tagg9's sister (SlyHobbes)
RazOr Chamber - Chamber (Novuscaine) and RazOmari (Knot-Locks)
Itchypads - Mik_Pad (mik_pad) and Kouichi
Figmuncher - Jawmuncher and FigBoy79 (Figboy)
Explosive Duo - Zephyrus (GoncaloPacheco) and B.O.O.M (rathne)
Gunny Balboa - Gunstarhero and KalBalboa
TribalSponge - Sponge and tribal24
We Don't Use Dumb Names - Noi (Noisama) and The Grim Heaper (TheGrimHeaper)
Psyborg- PSY・S (SuP3RiViAIN) and cyborg009
DigiTron - DigitalOp and Vysetron (Chuftbot)
Unclenching Kings - Snapshot King (SnapshotKing) and uncleniccius (uncleniccius)
???? - Tricky I Shadow and Oyashrio-Sama (FFVIIguy)
The Baked Knights - BakedPony (BakedPony1) and batmandarkknight (Macky_Tung)
Parappin' Believers - Tsunamo (JayTooCool) and FMTownsMarteh (NoR4U_)
InFamous Rising - Spindasher (Mrp7792-X) and Spindasher's Brother (JetsRap94).

Looking for Partner
Lord Phol (LordPhol)
Baekshi (Sharingan_Itachi)
giancarlo123x
Dreweyes
SteeloDMZ
Quick
krpiper
Thedarkstark

Come on, everyone. someone who don't have team or not involved yet. Yall, make more teams and join up for fun! :) Hopefully we don't have to use bye and etc, so we need 24, 28, 32, 36, or 40 teams.

Spinluck

My last post definitely wasn't meant for this thread, sorry bout that guys lol.

Btw, my brother isn't a GAF'er (yet). But is it cool if he's my partner for the tourney or does it have to be someone on GAF? Also how would we schedule that matches and stuff?

Anyways.

Spindasher (Mrp7792-X) and MyBro (JetsRap94).

Posting his PSN is meaningless, since there will be no DUEL PSN LOG IN. :-(

If it is possible to add this through a patch, I will bitch to Superbot as much as possible while letting them no how awesome the game is. If it's not possible to update it via patch, I will just leave it be.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
My last post definitely wasn't meant for this thread, sorry bout that guys lol.

Btw, my brother isn't a GAF'er (yet). But is it cool if he's my partner for the tourney or does it have to be someone on GAF? Also how would we schedule that matches and stuff?

Anyways.

Spindasher (Mrp7792-X) and MyBro (JetsRap94).

Posting his PSN is meaningless, since there will be no DUEL PSN LOG IN. :-(

If it is possible to add this through a patch, I will bitch to Superbot as much as possible while letting them no how awesome the game is. If it's not possible to update it via patch, I will just leave it be.

Alright, I will add you in moment.

Name the games that have duel psn log in? I can't even recalled any games that are allowed us to use that option.

Team Name please?

SmithnCo

Come on, everyone. someone who don't have team or not involved yet. Yall, make more teams and join up for fun! :) Hopefully we don't have to use bye and etc, so we need 24, 28, 32, 36, or 40 teams.

When Scrafty makes a thread I bet we'll get more teams that way too. :D

But I'm surprised at the amount we have just from this thread, not bad so far.

B.O.O.M

I hope to god a majority of those aren't titles. Otherwise Marvel vs Capcom 3 vanilla was LOADED with content as well.

500 - 750 titles I betacha.

I wouldn't be surprised if they actually count every colors.
one unlockable costume = 4 colors. one costume and 4 colors equal 5 for each character, 20 characters x 5 = 100 unlockable stuffs.

I read the following

"While outlining the different ways you can personalize your PlayStation All-Stars player card, over a 1000 options were eagle-eyeballed by PSASArena:

108 backgrounds.
340 icons.
629 FFA titles.
539 team titles.
20 minions.

This is without even accounting for the much more interesting character specific unlocks. In the stream, you can see several unlockable customization options for Toro, including:

3 different costumes.
3 different taunts.
4 different battle intros.
4 different outros.
3 different victory songs.
"

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Buyer Regret Moments? :p

Lol not really. Just wishing people would have backed me up instead of argueing with me about it back then. Even a little "i agree" would have been nice.

This is just a bit of delayed vindication, but I'll take it.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Lol not really. Just wishing people would have backed me up instead of argueing with me about it back then. Even a little "i agree" would have been nice.

This is just a bit of delayed vindication, but I'll take it.

Well, I really hope that it would be worth of my 60 dollars. I will rage if it's not.

Ryce

I wonder if this game will make an EVO appearance. I mean it does have Seth as a lead designer.
Seth only joined the project a few months ago. He's a lead designer at Sony Santa Monica -- he's not the lead designer on PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale. He's had little impact on the development of this game.

Name the games that have duel psn log in? I can't even recalled any games that are allowed us to use that option.

Littlebigplanet 1+2, Uncharted 3, Resistance 2+3, Starhawk and Motorstorm Apocalypse are the ones that i know about. I'll definitely join SpinDasher in pestering Superbot about it. I'm going to play with my nephew a lot and without dual log in, one of us will have to forfeit his character progress and use of unlockables while playing together. A title like PSASBR that will have a strong emphasis on couch multiplayer, should definitely support this option.

Regarding the tourney, i'd gladly join it, but i'm getting my game from the UK and it will take about a week to arrive. With a friday UK release date delivery might even slip to monday, the 3rd of december, unless they send it out early. >.<

Concidering I perhaps got something like 10 hours of playtime on very limited beta (plus beta even more so) I fully expect my 60&#8364; is well spent. Honestly only thing I'm really looking foreward to is the online.

Is there a picture anywhere? I assume its a throwback to his classic look, right?

Here.

BTW If there still was any doubt regarding Kat and Emmett:
+ Seth Killian on November 16th, 2012 at 12:50 pm said:

Yes! In addition to their own story mode, DLC characters will have their own trials and challenges, as well as additional unlockable costume, plus a very cool little thing we like to call their &#8220;minion&#8221; :) We treat downloadable characters just like the full fledged on-disc characters.

Bummer tho if it's only 1 extra costume since no pre-order one. Oh well this is more than I dare ask for so it's all coo.

Seth only joined the project a few months ago. He's a lead designer at Sony Santa Monica -- he's not the lead designer on PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale. He's had little impact on the development of this game.

Ahh makes sense, according to Wikipedia he started working on it in July.

Maybe I'm just being really hopeful/wishful that someone actually takes this seriously when it comes to competition. Brawl was borked online especially in aspects of social interaction, this actually has potential via the platform it's on.

I mean if Melee, made evo I think this could. I'm actually about to check if brawl ever made evo lol.

UPDATE:
Brawl Made evo in 08 and 09.

Well Im not worried about content, I just want the content to really use more IPs that arent being represented. I think this is a good way for SB to make money without profiting off of hopefully free characters (and stages).

LBP is hugely successful for this aesthetic DLC model, and I think if SB did the same, we'd be able to hopefully get more important content without splitting the community

Top Bottom