• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Well Omar talks about matchmaking seasons in the IGN stream and I dunno how the fuck seasons would work without ladder system. You unlock titles after each season based on what belt you have and how many seasons you have been holding that rank.

I see. I guess the guy I heard about belts from had it confused with a different system actually called "titles". I'm glad those belts are in then.

What?! You're a Torontobro too?! Whoa! Which Indigo? I live in Brampton but I can go downtown if needed. XD

I saw it in the Eaton Center. I was buying me some Walking Dead books and saw it on my way out.

EDIT: I'm checking their website now and it says they don't have any in stock. Either it was put there early by mistake or it's sold out :/

Why can't you have fun with us online then? :(

Just really busy with school, work, and a relationship. I would love to :( My boyfriend doesn't really like videogames, so whenever I get a chance to play them, I tend to want to try and clear out my backlog rather than play online.

It sucks :(

I will hopefully be able to play with you guys occasionally, but I won't be able to do any tournaments or anything.

Ran rp

Diggs Nightcrawler does look like a cool character, though.

I agree.

DiggsNightcrawler_Hero.JPG

I think Wonderbook is a great idea. I really want to try it out.

Just really busy with school, work, and a relationship. I would love to :( My boyfriend doesn't really like videogames, so whenever I get a chance to play them, I tend to want to try and clear out my backlog rather than play online.

It sucks :(

I will hopefully be able to play with you guys occasionally, but I won't be able to do any tournaments or anything.

Break up with him. Right now.

i had the same problem. but when i took a look at the preorder dlc, nothing excited me at all. I like Dante's main costume. His naked alt is pretty boss- no homo. Cole's main is ehh. But the alt color is the yellow one and the unlockable one is the jacket one- which are both what i want.

So yeah, no need to get it on PSN for me. Hehe. :p

seems possible. :p

Yea I just took a look at the preorder costumes and besides Jak, Drake, Dante and Raiden nobody else looks really special.

Guess I'll get this game tomorrow or Sunday. :)

Reading impressions from a guy, and he calls the final boss fight disappointing, and it certainly sounds like it is. Definitely sounds like a MP focused game, I really do hope for a sequel that focuses on a stronger story/challenge mode.

Reading impressions from a guy, and he calls the final boss fight disappointing, and it certainly sounds like it is. Definitely sounds like a MP focused game, I really do hope for a sequel that focuses on a stronger story/challenge mode.
Lets be honest they have had some real weaknesses in terms of presentation and that extends to single player content. Quite disappointing for something that should be driven by fan service. BUT they look to have nailed the characters, the mechanics and the overall gameplay plus multiplayer so on the whole they delivered e most important stuff. It'd be much worse to be getting amazing presentation with lackluster gameplay.

In the sequel Omar should really hire out some expertise to truly deliver the presentation this title deserves. The idea of all these characters meshing is cool, but it seems like they didn't even leave a scratching the surface of the potential it could have.

Thy are clearly fighting game fans being hired by Superbot so they probably put little priority in a story mode by default, but they need to realise it's a different kettle of fish with a fan service game. This kind of stuff makes the game what it is. A ten second cutscene between two characters doesn't amount to much,

Lets be honest they have had some real weaknesses in terms of presentation and that extends to single player content. Quite disappointing for something that should be driven by fan service. BUT they look to have nailed the characters, the mechanics and the overall gameplay plus multiplayer so on the whole they delivered e most important stuff. It'd be much worse to be getting amazing presentation with lackluster gameplay.

In the sequel Omar should really hire out some expertise to truly deliver the presentation this title deserves. The idea of all these characters meshing is cool, but it seems like they didn't even leave a scratching the surface of the potential it could have.

Thy are clearly fighting game fans being hired by Superbot so they probably put little priority in a story mode by default, but they need to realise it's a different kettle of fish with a fan service game. This kind of stuff makes the game what it is. A ten second cutscene between two characters doesn't amount to much,

Right on. And because of this, I think the game is going to get railed hard with this justification. Multiplayer parts of games (the online) tend to always get reviewed on a very basic merit, but single player content, in terms of depth and all that, seem to get weighted heavier.

I can see the final boss fight (which by all accounts sounds redundant and a cop out), and the minimalistic cut scenes weighing the game down. Presentation wise, it's not all there.

The actual core mechanics are solid to me, and Im absolutely sold on it for multiplayer and local play. The combat team have done a fantastic job with not only the mechanics, but translating the characters and adding extra charm. I am afraid that the challenges aren't as wondrous as I had hoped for either, because it should have been advertised at this point and hyped.

I fully support SB in the hopes that this IP really grows, I am certain they will get slammed in some key areas, but I just want this IP to grow. I just hope they can nail down the presentation and beef up the extras next time around. The question I have is how much reviewers are going to weigh the multiplayer and core gameplay to the single player and presentation

Agreed. Multiplayer was really the focus. I'm sure they didn't have the resources or the budget to produce cutscenes for everyone and for a better UI. But I'm hoping that this game gets great reviews and sales to warrant a sequel. I wonder if Superbot is aware that despite us loving the whole 'dream match', we also want to see cutscenes and actual interactions between everyone. Dante chilling with Sackboy, Raiden and Sly having lunch, so on so forth. That's really a different kind of entertainment as opposed to us just using these characters to fight.

Eh there is still a ton of offline content. Playing through every character's arcade mode would take 8-10 hours to go through, assuming each last roughly 30 minutes. Then there are challenges to complete as well. Guess it all depends on how you view it. For me offline offers a lot to do, and am looking forward to playing it. The real treat is playing with friends and playing online.

Loudninja

PS blog comments
+ Seth Killian on November 16th, 2012 at 12:50 pm said:
Yes! In addition to their own story mode, DLC characters will have their own trials and challenges, as well as additional unlockable costume, plus a very cool little thing we like to call their “minion” :) We treat downloadable characters just like the full fledged on-disc characters.
+ Seth Killian on November 16th, 2012 at 12:57 pm said:
I assume they will still be available for a price after 2 weeks, but there’s no reason to wait, so download them when they go live and they’re free for all.
I’d love to see Crash and I’d never say never, but not yet.

3. Square-Enix have great characters and a great place in PS history, but all of our discussions about these things are covered by non-disclosure agreements, so we can’t talk about even whether we’re talking about characters.

+ Seth Killian on November 16th, 2012 at 1:44 pm said:
Not sure where to start on this, but no, we didn’t create 2 characters in 7 days. In fact they are still not created :) That’s why the only images we have to show in this announcement are existing (old) images from their original games. The team has shifted focus to be full-force on these guys now that the launch game has gone gold, so development will happen faster than with the other characters (team has more experience making All-Stars characters, and are only focused on this, rather than on every other aspect of the game as well), but it’s going to be a while before they’re ready.
Also I know everyone likes to imagine an evil corporate scheme even when they’re getting something for free, but making something, then removing it from a game, then adding it back later as DLC (but for free) just isn’t a very good evil plan. If we presented that in the Board Room of Ultimate Evil, I think they would kick us out for fail :)
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...ett-join-the-battle-royale-for-free/#comments

Loudninja

Also I am not getting the "multiplayer is the focus" comments the game has a alot of single player content.

Eh there is still a ton of offline content. Playing through every character's arcade mode would take 8-10 hours to go through, assuming each last roughly 30 minutes. Then there are challenges to complete as well. Guess it all depends on how you view it. For me offline offers a lot to do, and am looking forward to playing it. The real treat is playing with friends and playing online.
Yeah I don't get it.

TripOpt55

Which retailers have the costume DLC pre order bonus? Best Buy? I usually go there but might pre order real quick elsewhere if they don't have the costumes.

SmithnCo

Well honestly, though it is worth going through for rival cutscenes and the boss, arcade is just playing with bots. Not bad really but multiplayer is where the real meat and challenge will be, as with all fighting games.

B.O.O.M

Well to be perfectly honest....final bosses are one of the weakest points about fighting games imho. I'm sure this will be fine as well

What they need are concept artists etc...to promote the game. This is an area the game has been pretty weak in

DigitalOp

Banned
No Chimera or Nathan Hale
In a way, Resistance is to PlayStation All-Stars as Animal Crossing is to Smash Bros. -- it's a major Sony franchise, but it doesn't have any unique characters worth adding to a fighting game. You can tell that SuperBot regards it as an important property, though; there's a Reistance stage, a Resistance mash-up in another stage, a Resistance item, and a bunch of Resistance profile icons. It's as well-represented as it possibly could be without having a playable character. SuperBot made a conscious decision to forgo a fighter from this series, and I don't believe the prospect of downloadable content will make them rethink this.

No Wander or Ico
Team Ico regards their games as works of art, and they don't want their characters appearing in a frantic beat 'em up. DLC isn't going to change this line of thinking.

No Snake
If SuperBot could have gotten Snake, he'd have appeared on the disc instead of Raiden. I'd be willing to bet that Kojima Productions has a gentleman's agreement with Sakurai regarding this.

No Crash or Spyro
Activision's a big, stingy corporation, and they don't want anything to do with an unproven game from an unproven studio. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Activision has ever licensed one of their characters out to an unaffiliated development team. They're absurdly self-contained.

--

With all of that said, I would be VERY surprised if we see any additional downloadable characters outside of the following:

Robbit
Dart
Joel & Ellie (Joel by himself seems way too similar to Drake to be included, but having Ellie following him at all times could provide for a unique gameplay mechanic)

Ryu Hayabusa
Lightning
Connor Kenway
Scorpion
Cloud
Lara Croft
Kazuma Kiryu
Abe
Isaac Clarke

Wow, way to crush the DLC dream buddy.... Good job lol jk

This is a great deduction, I think I would have to go with
-Cloud
-Ryu Hayabusa
-Abe
-Lara Croft (I felt like she needed to be in the game, then I changed my mind.... but now when I honestly think back to PS1 days..., lara croft needs to be in this game lol)

Also I am not getting the "multiplayer is the focus" comments the game has a alot of single player content.

Yeah I don't get it.
It just seems like something more like Street Fighter than like Smash Bros. A Weak intro and outro cutscene (static images with a voice over) and a small ten second rival cutscene. It's just not that impressive.

Tsunamo

Eh screw it, went digital. There's so much stuff coming out that I don't even need this day 1, really, so why am I worried about GCT. Walking Dead, WiiU lineup, and P4G'll all be competing for my time anyway.

EDIT: Christ and that DmC demo as well. Man fuckin Tuesday.
I know how you feel, I've got alot of software in the next few weeks to play I dunno how I'm gonna get through it all. (Assassins Creed III, Need For Speed Most Wanted, last 20 hours of Okami, Vita PS+, R&C, Persona 4: Golden and a couple more) All-Stars is still at the top of the list for me to playthrough and enjoy first though.
I refuse to believe Wander can't be in this game. I cant believe that developers have their boss's by the balls like that. It pretty much gives me this image:

Sony: Yo guys, can Superbot use Wander for their game?
ICO: No
Sony: Lol kk, btw how is The Last Guardian?
ICO: iunno
Sony: kthxbai
After Naughty Dog rejecting their request for them to work on a Vita title I could actually see something like that having occured.
No Crash or Spyro
Activision's a big, stingy corporation, and they don't want anything to do with an unproven game from an unproven studio.
That's what I thought aswell. If it's the case perhaps they might change their minds if the game does well and they have a oppurtunity to make a profit off of Crash or Spyro via DLC.

Vysetron

Neo Member
There's a lot of characters I'd love to see, and no matter who we get I'm sure they'll be great, but there's really only one that I'm wishing hard for.

f1332eb1236d02103e62c5c2e4b6af80.jpg

There throws my hero

Watch him as he throws

DigitalOp

Banned
There's a lot of characters I'd love to see, and no matter who we get I'm sure they'll be great, but there's really only one that I'm wishing hard for.

f1332eb1236d02103e62c5c2e4b6af80.jpg

There throws my hero

Watch him as he throws

Yup, I would trade Abe for this.... I might even trade Abe and Ryu Hayabusa for this!

Cloud and Tomba team! Lets be heard! DLC Pack 2!!!

Top Bottom