• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation fans, vote with your wallet.

Vroadstar

How often are places out of physical copies of games? When I worked at Gamestop, that only happened on one off game launches where only pre orders were filled. Astro should have boxes of games available
Mainly because I want the pre-order freebies if I buy physical. Astrobot freebie is an Astrobot pillow. The store I go near me usually also has limited copies of new games, but if I go and travel to big malls, I will probably get one successfully, however, due to the typhoon here that's not a good idea.

Quantum253

Gold Member
Mainly because I want the pre-order freebies if I buy physical. Astrobot freebie is an Astrobot pillow. The store I go near me usually also has limited copies of new games, but if I go and travel to big malls, I will probably get one successfully, however, due to the typhoon here that's not a good idea.
I was unaware Astro had pre prder bonuses. I don't think Best Buy had anything for pre orders

jm89

Good, now keep em out of Plus
I think everything will come to plus eventually.

But considering they lost something like 80+ million by foolishly putting forbidden west to early, it won't be years until they add their games to plus. Or at least the successfully ones.

Jump & Run
Sorry but...

Stop Motion No GIF by Mouse

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It’s funny how the goalposts move when there’s a perceived crisis in a side that’s been winning for decades.

A game like Astrobot is exactly the kind of game people scoff at when it comes out on a Nintendo system and it’s $60. And the Nintendo game usually lasts longer, too. Yeah, the performance will be better on PlayStation, but that’s not the point and you know it, so don’t try to play that card here.

Now Astrobot, a type of game that’s always been at best a palate cleanser for the PS community at large, comes out to glowing reviews exactly when another Sony game that bombed spectacularly is being cancelled after two weeks. How convenient. And PS users should support it to… show Sony what they really want?

I mean, a phenomenal game like Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze got a 7/10 review saying “not the game WiiU needs right now”.
I find it funny that Astrobot is a 94% and, apparently, exactly what PlayStation need right now.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure it’s very good. But I’ve been around here long enough that I can say with complete certainty that the PS users who want games like Astrobot to be PlayStation’s bread and butter are a very, very small minority. And I don’t see Astrobot selling numbers that will convince Sony otherwise, but hey. Godspeed, little robot.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Buy a game because you want to play it, not because you want to make a statement. People don't have money to throws just to make statements.
I’m sorry, but statements must be backed with your money.
People made a statement by not giving their money to Concord, and it bombed.
People made a statement about not buying Hogwarts Legacy, but they bought it anyway. Their money made a stronger statement than the millions of empty words they posted online.
Put your money where your heart is, because otherwise, where your heart is is not where things will happen.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
People made a statement about not buying Hogwarts Legacy, but they bought it anyway. Their money made a stronger statement than the millions of empty words they posted online.
Put your money where your heart is, because otherwise, where your heart is is not where things will happen.

You're both right 😉

It’s funny how the goalposts move when there’s a perceived crisis in a side that’s been winning for decades.

A game like Astrobot is exactly the kind of game people scoff at when it comes out on a Nintendo system and it’s $60. And the Nintendo game usually lasts longer, too. Yeah, the performance will be better on PlayStation, but that’s not the point and you know it, so don’t try to play that card here.

Now Astrobot, a type of game that’s always been at best a palate cleanser for the PS community at large, comes out to glowing reviews exactly when another Sony game that bombed spectacularly is being cancelled after two weeks. How convenient. And PS users should support it to… show Sony what they really want?

I mean, a phenomenal game like Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze got a 7/10 review saying “not the game WiiU needs right now”.
I find it funny that Astrobot is a 94% and, apparently, exactly what PlayStation need right now.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure it’s very good. But I’ve been around here long enough that I can say with complete certainty that the PS users who want games like Astrobot to be PlayStation’s bread and butter are a very, very small minority. And I don’t see Astrobot selling numbers that will convince Sony otherwise, but hey. Godspeed, little robot.

bruh, PS1 and PS2 was full of million seller mascots and there's a reason enthusiast gamers ask for Sly, Jak, etc. all the time. A barebones Sly port dump this year with literally zero marketing became the best selling "PS classic" they have on PS5. When the Crash Bandicoot Remake came out as a PS4 exclusive, it became the best selling Not-Mario platformer ever. Also show me the people scoffing at Mario Odyssey, lol. Learn some gaming history outside of your Nintendo-defence-force bubble.

I completed Donkey Kong Freeze 100% when it came out. It was a complete rehash of the Wii game, no gameplay element felt new, except for the snooze-inducing water swimming, and for one of the first HD Nintendo games, the graphics felt underwhelming. It had a real music compared to Donkey Kong Wii's remix soundtrack, but that's it. I still remember how marketing focused on the new fur effect on Donkey Kong (which was barely visible ingame) because there was nothing else innovative or surprising about it. While something like Astro Bot practially surprises in each level it has. And Freezing Donkey was also at the end of yet another 6 month or so drought, making its lack of splendour even more disappointing. It's not like only reviewers were disappointed, the game also sold barely a fraction of the Wii game and the Rare Donkey Kong games - even the Switch port didn't sell much better. Also, reviewers later gave a 90 to Mario 3D World on WiiU, which is Astro's shitty ancestor. There are no conspiracies here, get a grip.

Last edited:

SweetTooth

Gold Member

I have read your post several times and I have no idea what your point was?

Are you saying PS fans shouldn't like platformers?

Are you selling Donkey Kong?

Are you afraid that Astro will sell a lot?

Are you hurt?

You seems confused, take your meds and shower before hugging your Yoshi pillow to sleep 🤣

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Nintendo defence force: check.
Yoshi pillows: didn’t really expect this, but check!
I shouldn’t bother replying, but there’s worse ways to waste time, I guess.

bruh, PS1 and PS2 was full of million seller mascots and there's a reason enthusiast gamers ask for Sly, Jak, etc. all the time. A barebones Sly port dump this year with literally zero marketing became the best selling "PS classic" they have on PS5. When the Crash Bandicoot Remake came out as a PS4 exclusive, it became the best selling Not-Mario platformer ever. Also show me the people scoffing at Mario Odyssey, lol. Learn some gaming history outside of your Nintendo-defence-force bubble.

I completed Donkey Kong Freeze 100% when it came out. It was a complete rehash of the Wii game, no gameplay element felt new, except for the snooze-inducing water swimming, and for one of the first HD Nintendo games, the graphics felt underwhelming. It had a real music compared to Donkey Kong Wii's remix soundtrack, but that's it. I still remember how marketing focused on the new fur effect on Donkey Kong (which was barely visible ingame) because there was nothing else innovative or surprising about it. While something like Astro Bot practially surprises in each level it has. And Freezing Donkey was also at the end of yet another 6 month or so drought, making its lack of splendour even more disappointing. It's not like only reviewers were disappointed, the game also sold barely a fraction of the Wii game and the Rare Donkey Kong games - even the Switch port didn't sell much better. Also, reviewers later gave a 90 to Mario 3D World on WiiU, which is Astro's shitty ancestor. There are no conspiracies here, get a grip.
I was there when PS1 and 2 were current gen. The times have changed, the market has changed, gamers’ tastes have changed. Astrobot is not becoming the saviour - or even the face - of PlayStation in 2024 and beyond, and its genre is not going to become a mainstream driving force of this market again.

Right now there’s a thread about Astrobot’s meta, with more than one person deriding Odyssey’s praise. BTW, I didn’t mention Odyssey specifically.

I never mentioned a conspiracy. To put it simply, I agree with that user who said Astrobot would be an 84 in 2007. Hell, Astrobot would’ve been an 84 in 2017, when everything was rosy for Sony’s first party. Review scores are biased as hell and unreliable in telling a game’s real quality, but they’re invaluable when it comes to interpret the gaming zeitgeist, its biases, its console wars, its damage control attempts. If we had gotten a new Naughty Dog game this year, Astrobot wouldn’t even dream to get such a high score - and, what’s even more important, Astrobot would barely be a sidenote in a year dominated by this hypothetical Naughty Dog game. It wouldn’t certainly be the game to get if you want to send Sony a message.

Truthbomb: the games most people want from Sony aren’t Astrobot and Sly Cooper. The games most people want from Sony are the games they’re getting, but without the forced DEI elements and SBI’s meddling. People want Spider-Man 2 without the deaf girl sidequests, the BLM graffiti, the rainbow flags, the average-looking MJ being more capable than PP. People want the big money spent into what they used to love until a few years ago. And if some leftovers go into a good smaller project, then everyone wins. But stop fooling yourselves. You want Astrobot to succeed because you hope it succeeding means something much bigger will come, and that something doesn’t feature Astrobot.

I have read your post several times and I have no idea what your point was?

Are you saying PS fans shouldn't like platformers?

Are you selling Donkey Kong?

Are you afraid that Astro will sell a lot?

Are you hurt?

You seems confused, take your meds and shower before hugging your Yoshi pillow to sleep 🤣
I’ll assume you’re high, seeing that others understood my post all right :pie_roffles:

I’m saying that the full-panic mode some delusional PlayStation fans - both among the public and the press, nobody’s safe here - have entered after one too many “woke” games is so out of control, that a token game from an IP that is far from the most important in PlayStation’s legacy, dropped at the right time, is being seen as something much greater than it is.

Let’s put it this way: if Xbox dropped a Banjo game in 2024, how would PlayStation fans react? Exactly.

Relax, people. PlayStation is still going to get all the games you may want to play for the foreseeable future. And more than one that you don’t want to play, too.

NahaNago

I'll buy it after I beat black myth wukong. I buy too many games and don't even play or finish them. I swear, I've got like a dozen still unopened ps5 games sitting on the carpet near my tv.

Last edited:

geary

You like a game > You buy the game = Not a statement, it's more a purchase behavior/decision based on preference
You like a game > You do not buy the game on principle = Statement
You do not like a game > You do not buy the game = Not a statement, it's more a purchase behavior/decision based on preference
You do not like a game > You buy the game on principle = Statement

What the OP tried to imply is to buy the game, even if you do not like it, just to send a message to the company that this is the type of quality you want. That falls into the first and forth points. I take issues with the fourth, hence my earlier reply.

MacReady13

Game is phenomenal. And contrary to what the person above is saying, MANY of us GAMING fans dearly want games like Astro Bot, especially us PlayStation gamers who have been with the brand since the beginning. We DON’T only want the 3rd person story driven narrative games that Sony since the ps3 THINKS we all want. We want fun, gameplay focused games like Astro Bot has delivered.

I was banging on about the VR Astro bot game years ago. Was a favourite of mine and this certainly reaches those same heights. THIS is the kind of game PlayStation excels at and should focus more on. They’re cheaper, more fun AND better than their boring as fuck serious narrative driven games like god of war, uncharted, horizon and last of us. Give all of us more fun and gameplay and less Hollywood style bullshit.

keefged4

I primarly play on PC, but I've bought this. It'll probably be the last PS5 game I play on a PS5 this year tbh.

DanEON

I sold my PS5 because it had no games to play. Now with this Astro game, I wish I had it again. I will wait buy the PS5 Pro.

Some years ago I bought Puppeteer on PS3 to support Japan Studio. After seeing what they do to Japan Studio I stopped supporting PlayStation. I voted with my wallet and I'm no longer a PS fan

Killjoy-NL

Game is phenomenal. And contrary to what the person above is saying, MANY of us GAMING fans dearly want games like Astro Bot, especially us PlayStation gamers who have been with the brand since the beginning. We DON’T only want the 3rd person story driven narrative games that Sony since the ps3 THINKS we all want. We want fun, gameplay focused games like Astro Bot has delivered.

I was banging on about the VR Astro bot game years ago. Was a favourite of mine and this certainly reaches those same heights. THIS is the kind of game PlayStation excels at and should focus more on. They’re cheaper, more fun AND better than their boring as fuck serious narrative driven games like god of war, uncharted, horizon and last of us. Give all of us more fun and gameplay and less Hollywood style bullshit.
Who is this "we" people keep talking about in reference to the PS fanbase?

I'm sure the game is enjoyable for those who like platformers and I was on the fence, but the more I see of it, the less I see that justifies the €70 pricetag.

GymWolf

Gold Member

I'm sure the game is enjoyable for those who like platformers and I was on the fence, but the more I see of it, the less I see that justifies the €70 pricetag.

He is definitely not talking for all the sony fanbase, he probably forgot how much stuff like horizon or gow sells at every release and that many people don't give a fuck about platforms that don't have mario in the title and that's why big budget platformers are so rare nowadays.

I take a new gow or sushima over 10 new astrobot because guess what, i don't like platforms and i prefer combat centric games, sue me🕺

Crayon

Don't let a little thing like the fury of mother nature keep you from that pillow, my friend.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Don't let a little thing like the fury of mother nature keep you from that pillow, my friend.
When i was little i did like 20 km under the strongest rain with my 50cc scooter to get the special edition of halo 2 with the metallic game case :lollipop_squinting:

Ah, youth...

Last edited:

Toons

I'll pass

5hGuNdR.jpeg

Why did they remove her feminine features? Look at the square jaw. I am sick of MoDErN gaming FUCKING PRONOUNS GENDER AMBIGUITY

Wake me up when they add a real women to this

Its sad that it took me a second to realize this was satire but its great satire

thief183

You like a game > You buy the game = Not a statement, it's more a purchase behavior/decision based on preference
You like a game > You do not buy the game on principle = Statement
You do not like a game > You do not buy the game = Not a statement, it's more a purchase behavior/decision based on preference
You do not like a game > You buy the game on principle = Statement

What the OP tried to imply is to buy the game, even if you do not like it, just to send a message to the company that this is the type of quality you want. That falls into the first and forth points. I take issues with the fourth, hence my earlier reply.
But If I buy a game that I don't like they will endup doing more of that game... that I don't ... it is not really smart...

Toons

Yeah, i don't think people realize how shit the industry is right now. Problem is much of the creative talent is gone or was "Cancelled" , just look what happened to Chris Avellone, dude won a lawsuit against his accusers and the companies still won't hire him back, as they follow ideology anymore instead of making appealing great games. All woke people injected themselves in these companies and they hired their friends and kicked out , or the founders left (Rocksteady, Bioware, etc...). Good games require talent, money and passion. It also many times, requires long hours and crunch. Avocado toast, yoga 2 hour lunches and urbanite millennial San-Fran style cry rooms need not apply.

We are getting great indy games, I have 100s of hours on Songs of Syx, a game made in Java by one dude. We have great fan made mods. We have great Eastern European devs making AA+ - AAA games (metro, stalker, robocop, etc..) and amazing Japanese and now Korean and Chinese devs too. The west is fucked, and it sucks. I am an American, but we are creatively bankrupt, or our money backers are little bitches that bow down to the message and or gaas dreams of greed.

Astrobot looks like a great game, but so was Little Big Planet 1-3, Puppeteer, Sly4, all games that came out in the same gen. Thing is we only get one of them. Nothing new has been made.
I'd love for a platformer renaissance, and a return to creativity, or hell even more shooters with single player campaigns as we don't seem to get them anymore either. Some arcade racers, motorstorm, wipeout, twisted metal. It's all gaas , always online bs, ubisoft style open world, or dark souls clones.

Some of yall just sound miserable and expect games to solve that problem they can't solve.

skit_data

I still don't understand why people like to be scammed, I bought th physical edition on Amazon for 49€ (just arrived ) yet people pays like what? 80? For the digital version.
I have a PS5 Digital Edition, so physical isn't really an option for me.
I do regret not going with the Standard one, but it was pretty much the prerequisite for getting one at launch.

I mean like....this isn't the title I really care about or want from Sony though lol

I want more creativity and ambitious boundary pushing stuff that we used to get regularly in the ps2 to ps3/360 era often.

If astrobot came out in 2007, where we got in the *same year*:

Half life 2 ep 2
God of war 2
Super mario galaxy
Bioshock
Mass effect
Uncharted
Portal
The witcher
Team fortress
persona 3
assassins creed
Halo 3
Crysis
Stalker

Then we wouldn't give a shit about astrobot that much lol speaks to how much we had to lower our standards over time that we are now "voting with our wallets" for....Astro bot Lol

^^^ GOTY just dropped and someone's not too happy about it. Seriously, stalker? lol

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
Voted with my wallet and just got my copy. With a 94 MC I'm sure it's going to be GOTY 2024. A creative and fun platformer that celebrate the history of Playstation is just what all of us fans have been asking for. Can't wait to play it!

lICOjhq.jpeg
Those physical copies are rare

MacReady13

What justifies a full price game then? This is the kind of game most should be spending their hard earned on- the game is complete and without any major issues. It’s a joy to play. If the reason you think people won’t spend full price on a game is determined by length, then please tell me why we should pay full price for game like Persona or Final Fantasy which can take upwards of 50, 60 odd hours to complete yet god of war only takes around 15 hours to complete? Last of us the same. Uncharted. Halo. Gears of war. What justifies their high prices when they have a finish time a quarter the time of a persona game…?

Top Bottom