• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation fans, vote with your wallet.

Fbh

Haven't been able to find a physical copy where I live, by principle I don't buy digital games at full price on consoles.
I'll check again tomorrow, some retailers don't have pre orders but might still have it in stock when it actually launches.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Digital Deluxe already ordered. I don't even care about the extras with the deluxe edition. Just wanted to make the point that this is the kind of game I want them to be making.

digdug2

So the money is in Mario rip-offs and mascots. I think they already tried that before, but I'm all in for Super Astro Bot Kart, as soon as that gets the green light.
Super Mario Bros. was arguably the game that introduced the world to what a platforming game should be. In addition, Super Mario 64 then revolutionized the 3D platformer. It's hard to not rip Mario off, because Nintendo perfected the magical formula.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The game looks good, but I think you got it backwards OP. If the game is good, then everyone should buy it...and this will send the right message.

Not the other way around. What happened to holding the devs and the console manufacturer's feet to the fire to improve their offerings?

Now, it's somehow best to reward the company regardless? I mean I understand the whole "We want quality SP games, not live service trash" mantra. However, the consumer market is pretty clear on what works and what doesn't.

There should be no need for manufactured support if the company is doing what it's supposed to do. Trying to steer a multi billion dollar company's position and future outlook in what little way we can is a lofty, maybe even honorable goal...but kinda seems misguided.

Last edited:
wukong takes just as much from other games. but the point still stands, wukong winning goty (which it probably is going to, China has big investment in the geoffies, loads of tencent and netease going on there) will lead to a lot of pandering and falling in line with their strict media rules
You're not thinking on the bright side here. China doesn't tolerate wokeshit

StueyDuck

You're not thinking on the bright side here. China doesn't tolerate wokeshit
Going from one extreme to another isn't as much of a win as you think.

China censor a lot of stuff. Just go look at what ubisoft were doing with siege for China. Things like violence and images of skulls even have to be censored or changed.

I'd rather games didn't pander to any market.

Yoboman

I'll pass

5hGuNdR.jpeg

Why did they remove her feminine features? Look at the square jaw. I am sick of MoDErN gaming FUCKING PRONOUNS GENDER AMBIGUITY

Wake me up when they add a real women to this

WoJ

Eh, Fair Point. I was going to wait until Christmas to get this for my daughter. I'll buy it now and hide it.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Even though I barely have time to play, I did my part and bought Astro Bot. Going to try and sneak in some sessions during lunch breaks or something.

Also grabbed Space Marines 2 for co-op with my mates – we all just need to figure out a regular weekly time after our respective kids are down for the night. Adulting can be hard for some of us :(

Yamisan

It's time to vote with your wallet.

Buy Astrobot.

Send Sony a message about what you want. This is the best way to make your voices heard. I'm glad that people rejected Concord. I hear so many times that Sony needs to bring back those smaller AA games and 3D platformers like Ratchet, Sly, and Jak & Daxter, instead of chasing GaaS.

This is your time.

Make a statement. Support Team Asobi. Support Astrobot. Make Sony see where the money and interest is.

That's it.

f1RNSaW.jpeg

Starship Troopers GIF
Absolutely not. 10 hours for $60 is bat shit insane.

saintjules

Gold Member
Generally curious as to why this is the game that makes the statement moving forward. Just cuz of what happened to Concord?

nial

Generally curious as to why this is the game that makes the statement moving forward. Just cuz of what happened to Concord?
I personally just want to see the Japan Studio bandwagoners to actually support this game.
There was this holy weird narrative that Japan Studio was supposedly closed to spend resources on Concord (yes, it's THAT stupid), so these people better support Astro Bot if they actually believe that.

Last edited:
I personally just want to see the Japan Studio bandwagoners to actually support this game.
There was this holy weird narrative that Japan Studio was supposedly closed to spend resources on Concord (yes, it's THAT stupid), so these people better support Astro Bot if they actually believe that.
I thought I read somewhere that by the end Japan Studio was little more than a support studio, only Team Asobi and Team Siren were the 2 remaining actual studios developing games

The support studio became XDEV, Team Asobi continued, and Team Siren was disbanded because they hadn't made anything in a long time

Last edited:

nial

I thought I read somewhere that by the end Japan Studio was little more than a support studio, only Team Asobi and Team Siren were the 2 remaining actual studios developing games

The support studio became XDEV, Team Asobi continued, and Team Siren was disbanded because they hadn't made anything in a long time
Long post ahead.
As someone who has spent a disturbing amount of time researching (for myself) SCE documents and credits, it's a bit convoluted to explain, but Japan Studio is not as traditional as people believe, far from that even.
The true successor of Japan Studio isn't exactly Team Asobi or XDEV, but rather the PlayStation Studios division established within Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc. in Minato (the 'Inc.' ALWAYS refers to the Japanese company). Japan Studio, a division, used to have the exact same structure as the current Japanese PS Studios, a XDEV department, an Internal Development department, which is now Team Asobi, a localisation department and some others as well.
Project Siren and ASOBI Team were two little development groups officially acknowledged by SIE, but it's hard to consider them as their own thing because several of that staff would go on to work on games separate from their repective considered teams. People from Gravity Rush 1-2 were also credited on other projects like Puppeteer, Knack 1-2, The Last Guardian, Demon's Souls, Astro Bot Rescue Mission and Astro's Playroom. Same case with Siren staff with different games back in the day.
So it's not like Project Siren was disbanded, there wasn't anything to disband in the first place, the thing is that once Toyama left the company for whatever reason, a lot of his fellow staff would go on to follow him, others had their contracts terminated, and some others would remain at SIE.
It's pretty clear that once one of the main driving forces behind game direction was gone, SIE would pivot into putting all its focus into the Astro Bot series, and that's the moment the current Team Asobi studio was born in April 2021.
Regarding external production (which has produced Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade this year), that just continued without much problem, Japan Studio never developed many games internally as people seem to believe (a lot of those folks don't even know that something like Patapon was actually developed by a company called Pyramid Inc.).

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The thinking is if a traditional kind of game like Astro can do great in reviews and sales (assuming it sells great), then Sony brass will focus more on these kinds of games forward (traditional genres and IPs with some history to it) instead chasing GAAS games with quirky content like Concord and the like. Entrenched GAAS franchises like GT and baseball are ok.

Last edited:

Varteras

I think it's greatly punctuated by Concord's massive failure. But that alone wasn't what makes the statement. PlayStation fans at large don't want Sony chasing trends at the expense of a diverse lineup of fantastic games. Sure, you'll see and hear plenty asking for Killzone and SOCOM. Which would make one confused, no doubt, when also hearing them chastise Sony for chasing GAAS. What they've wanted out of Sony isn't to NOT make a few GAAS games. But, to make sure they aren't doing so at the expense of the other kinds of games they want Sony to make.

They also want Sony to stop guessing at what they should make when they could look at previous franchises they've had that many Sony fans have been asking for new entries on. Plenty of people wanted Sony to expand on Astrobot. They did and, at least critically, the game is a resounding success. If the game is also commercially successful, that could make Sony take notice that perhaps games on a shorter timeline that just focus on being games, and not being so constantly grandiose, might be a great way forward for them.

Astrobot is being treated as such an important moment because it represents multiple elements that so many Sony fans have been saying Sony should embrace instead of what appears to be their current trajectory. So having Astrobot release right after a disastrous launch of Concord is the picture perfect argument. Astrobot would have been just fine on its own even if Concord was delayed before anyone touched it. But this just made the statement so much more impactful. In a way that no Sony fan could have dared to hope for.

Now they just need to put their money where their mouth is. I don't think it needs to sell gangbusters, but it does need to sell enough to make Sony a decent profit.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The game looks good, but I think you got it backwards OP. If the game is good, then everyone should buy it...and this will send the right message.

Not the other way around. What happened to holding the devs and the console manufacturer's feet to the fire to improve their offerings?

Now, it's somehow best to reward the company regardless? I mean I understand the whole "We want quality SP games, not live service trash" mantra. However, the consumer market is pretty clear on what works and what doesn't.

There should be no need for manufactured support if the company is doing what it's supposed to do. Trying to steer a multi billion dollar company's position and future outlook in what little way we can is a lofty, maybe even honorable goal...but kinda seems misguided.
The game is the highest-rated game of the year so far. Of course, it is good.

We wouldn't be buying a mediocre game to send a message. We're buying an insanely fun, potentially GOTY game that also sends a message. It's a win-win.

Killjoy-NL

The game is the highest-rated game of the year so far. Of course, it is good.

We wouldn't be buying a mediocre game to send a message. We're buying an insanely fun, potentially GOTY game that also sends a message. It's a win-win.
Hope you're right.

I'm expecting a lot from it if I'm about to spend €70 on a platformer.

I liked Astro's Playroom, but that came for free with PS5.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Not just that.

People have been complaining for a long time that Sony abandoned 3D platformers, kid-friendly AA games. Astrobot is that game.

If people really want these games, they need to buy it and make these projects successful. Otherwise, why would Sony or any other company keep making games that people aren't even interested in.

this game is reviewed at 94 it ll sell just for that even if the person dosnt like plataforms
I won't be buying Astrobot if it receives 11/10 reviews. It has zero appeal for me.
But I'm glad there is a game many apparently do like and recognise it's good the game got made. So enjoy.

Last edited:

Sintoid

Done my part
And I really hope that Sony will follow Nintendo's strategy about pricing
No sales, No free, no Plus
Buy it or fuck off

Quantum253

Gold Member
Buying Astrobot physical now, hopefully I can get one as I didn't pre-order.
Lets Go Sport GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING
How often are places out of physical copies of games? When I worked at Gamestop, that only happened on one off game launches where only pre orders were filled. Astro should have boxes of games available

Esppiral

I did my part! Can't wait to play it!!!

Also I bought a physical version 20€ cheaper than the digital one, fuck digital!!!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom