• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | July 2015

autoduelist

It would be extremely helpful to some of us [well, me, at least] if someone who is paying attention to the anime conference and knows a lot about the companies posted a full summary at some point... what was announced for localization, what kind of game it is, etc. I keep hearing lots of games called out, and it's clear some of you know a lot about them... but to me, some of them are just 'names' (for example, I have no idea what digimon is... sort of like pokemon?)...

Basically, a nice summary post would be helpful in identifying what I need to buy.

And... please, please let us get Stranger in Sword City.

They're showing the anime tomorrow I believe. Missing out the localization announcement now would be a huge fuck up on their part.

Eh, if they have confidence in the anime they could even wait until TGS to announce it. People give up too easily.

Saphirax

It would be extremely helpful to some of us [well, me, at least] if someone who is paying attention to the anime conference and knows a lot about the companies posted a full summary at some point... what was announced for localization, what kind of game it is, etc. I keep hearing lots of games called out, and it's clear some of you know a lot about them... but to me, some of them are just 'names' (for example, I have no idea what digimon is... sort of like pokemon?)...

Basically, a nice summary post would be helpful in identifying what I need to buy.

Eh, if they have confidence in the anime they could even wait until TGS to announce it. People give up too easily.

Maybe at GC, but they're not going to announce a localization at an event primarily for the Japanese audience.

Tizoc

ABANDON SHIP!
PANEL'S BEEN DELAYED
STREAM IS DEAD!
ABANDON SHIP!

JUNIORS AND NEW MEMBERS FIRST TO THE LIFE BOATS!

RK128

Digimon is a bit like Pokemon but they work differently than them; they are 'digital' creatures rather than animals like Pokemon, their evolution aren't final (unlike Pokemon) and the stories in the Digimon universe tend to be more mature than Pokemon.

There are also concepts explored in Digimon that are never touched upon in Pokemon, like the fusion of Digimon and there tamers (shown in the third season of the anime) and other elements.

I grew up with the series, so I have a fondness for them, which is why I am really happy with the localization of Digimon CS :D. That game is going to be very different from the Pokemon games as its story is more in line with traditional JRPG's instead of 'you are on a grand adventure!' that happens with every Pokemon game. The combat system is also more in line with other turn-based games (as you have a 'guard' command and your Digimon act like party members (due to not being able to swap them out....I think, judging form the gameplay I saw online of the game)).

Hope this helps :).

Edit: Also, the CS is being made by a large pool of talent; the character designer from SMT (Digital Devil Survivor I think...), the developers behind Wild Arms (Mass Media) and the composer form Dragnorompa.

Jazz573

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/617072451512573952
CJBIOrGUkAA2zdf.png

RK128

While it is a shame they didn't mention any platforms (my guess is likely Vita and 3DS like VLR), its great that this got announced :D!

All we need now is God Eater 2 Rage Burst to get a localization announcement and this AX is perfect :).

Really happy with the announcements so far:
-Red Dash
-SAO: Re:Hallow Fragment
-SAO: Lost Song
-Digimon Story:CS
-Zero Escape 3

So many great things announced and we still have another day of content!

While it is a shame they didn't mention any platforms (my guess is likely Vita and 3DS like VLR), its great that this got announced :D!

All we need now is God Eater 2 Rage Burst to get a localization announcement and this AX is perfect :).

-Red Dash
-Zero Escape 3

Fingers crossed for GE2, yeah. Would definitely love to give that a try (though, I couldn't get into Freedom Wars; wonder if I'd like GE)

Hikami

kinda hard to get excited for an announcement like that after months of waiting

Glad it exists and its finally coming and all but
Would've been nice to see a trailer, what systems it's coming out on, something else. idk

edit: spoke too soon, properly hyped now

Ryan95

So, is there still a chance with GE2? Please Bamco, give it to us (and please be retail on Vita if I'm not asking too much)

RK128

Fingers crossed for GE2, yeah. Would definitely love to give that a try (though, I couldn't get into Freedom Wars; wonder if I'd like GE)

GE from what I played of the PSP game (which was given out on Plus a while back), the gameplay is very different from Freedom Wars. Where that game gave you tons of traversal abilities with the vine, GE gives you a massive gun with tons of ammo types that each do different things. So, you have a game closer to Monster Hunter in a way but instead of weapons, you focus on playing and experimenting with different ammo types.

So, is there still a chance with GE2? Please Bamco, give it to us (and please be retail on Vita if I'm not asking too much)

That all depends on if the anime is shown off yet or not; if it didn't get shown off yet, then there is a shot of Bamco announcing game the game's localization after the episode ends to hype everyone up for the anime. If the anime is already shown off....then welp :l.

Digimon and VLR are great news. Specially the latter, I cannot wait to go back to that world. 999 is still one of my highest ranking games I have played to this day, with VLR close behind it.

Not a chance.

Saphirax

-Red Dash
-Zero Escape 3

You forgot Stranger of Sword City :(.

Yes, just a matter of when :p.

GE from what I played of the PSP game (which was given out on Plus a while back), the gameplay is very different from Freedom Wars. Where that game gave you tons of traversal abilities with the vine, GE gives you a massive gun with tons of ammo types that each do different things. So, you have a game closer to Monster Hunter in a way but instead of weapons, you focus on playing and experimenting with different ammo types.

That sounds like it could be interesting; a lot of my disenfranchisement with FW was with the crafting I think; none of the weapons really felt unique to me, and the crafting item names were completely incomprehensible.

AsfaeksBR

Okay, I feel like I should be excited for Zero Escape 3.
What is it? What is it's genre? What are the other 2? Can/Should I play them on the Vita?

SerTapTap

Why didn't they say the platforms at the event if they told press...? Vita/3DS is exactly what I predicted though.
What is it? What is it's genre? What are the other 2? Can/Should I play them on the Vita?

It's a Visual Novel and Escape Game (a kind of puzzle). You basically absolutely have to start with the first game, part of why I haven't played 'em myself. I own VLR due to PS+ but haven't gotten into anything.

Yes yes 15 posts saying I have to play it

999, best VN made ever. Best console to play it on is the DS because of story reasons (yes, you read that correctly), you can also play it on an iPhone but the impact of the whole thing will be completely lost. Don't worry, you will understand what I mean if you play it.

VLR, 2nd best VN made ever. Best played on the Vita, also available for the 3DS.

Also, wondering if y'all in VitaGAF can help me pick a game to grab. There are a bunch of recent releases that I've been meaning to try out, but I never got around to. Of these games, which would be my best bet (there are very few genres that I can't get into, btw, though a long JRPG isn't exactly what I'm looking for atm)

Titan Souls
Oreshika
Broken Age
Shovel Knight
Helldivers
La Mulana EX

I will say that I've been in the mood for Metroidvania style stuff, so if there's anything excellent in that category (besides Guacamelee; already played it, already loved it), that would be cool to know about as well.

RK128

Why didn't they say the platforms at the event if they told press...? Vita/3DS is exactly what I predicted though.

It's a Visual Novel and Escape Game (a kind of puzzle). You basically absolutely have to start with the first game, part of why I haven't played 'em myself. I own VLR due to PS+ but haven't gotten into anything.

In a similar boat TapTap; put a good hour into the game but got stuck on a puzzle and dropped it for a while after that....and now it sits in my very, very large backlog XD.

Heard fantastic things about the game and I enjoyed what I did play of it :).

RK128

Also, wondering if y'all in VitaGAF can help me pick a game to grab. There are a bunch of recent releases that I've been meaning to try out, but I never got around to. Of these games, which would be my best bet (there are very few genres that I can't get into, btw, though a long JRPG isn't exactly what I'm looking for atm)

Titan Souls
Oreshika
Broken Age
Shovel Knight
Helldivers
La Mulana EX

I will say that I've been in the mood for Metroidvania style stuff, so if there's anything excellent in that category (besides Guacamelee; already played it, already loved it), that would be cool to know about as well.

I strongly recommend the bolded, as the former is a fantastic retro platformer while the latter will fill your Metroidvania fix (as it is like Castlevanna games I believe). Titian Souls and Broken Age are also highly regarded but I really recommend Shovel Knight :).

AsfaeksBR

999, best VN made ever. Best console to play it on is the DS because of story reasons (yes, you read that correctly), you can also play it on an iPhone but the impact of the whole thing will be completely lost. Don't worry, you will understand what I mean if you play it.

VLR, 2nd best VN made ever. Best played on the Vita, also available for the 3DS.

I ain't buying a 3DS, so i'll stick with the Vita versions.

Will I miss much by not playing 999 and going straight into VLR?

I strongly recommend the bolded, as the former is a fantastic retro platformer while the latter will fill your Metroidvania fix (as it is like Castlevanna games I believe). Titian Souls and Broken Age are also highly regarded but I really recommend Shovel Knight :).

Hmm, alright, thanks! I didn't know La Mulana was a Metroidvania, so that's pretty exciting. I might give those two a try

Vylash

? don't have have a 3ds? you can play both

Im surprised Aksys didn't announce any other games.

Guess we have whatever Nisa has to announce and God eater 2 left from this expo.

bobohoro

Yes.

And it's nice to finally have confirmation that it's coming. Overall, I haven't been this excited for coming video games in a long while, fun times.

Should be in a little less than 4 hours.

Edit: 4 hours and 6 minutes to be precise!
Cheers, that's be 9PM for me. Good stuff.

Yup. You'll be completely missing 1/3 of the story that is divided in 3 games. The shocking things that happen in VLR won't be shocking at all to you since you never met the characters from the first game, nor do you know of the state of the world they live in. Each title is needed pretty much, that's why fans have been begging for VLR3(2? Lol).

They tried to remedy the problem you have by releasing a VN version of 999 on mobile, but again in order to get the full impact you need the DS with the two screens, and having said this last bit might have already been too much lol so I'll keep quiet.

Top Bottom