• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | July 2015

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Yeah, I wonder how they're going to advertise the release when it's done.

A bit OT: Have you played Kamidori Alchemy Meister? Is it a good game?

Ah no actually, unfortunately do not play a lot of JP PC games at the moment. Was curious about the gameplay system though since what I had seen back then looked fairly interesting. Used to have a friend that would keep me more up to date on all of those as the PC gaming scene was more of their thing in relation to console.

Think there are a lot of cool titles out there in the PC scene that are just never ported over to consoles. D:

With how long the game has actually been out and the script being mostly the same, work on the script while talks go on about securing the Vita rights were going on. With that being said its more about them announcing a date and the fact that they have the title in hand as they know very well how anticipated it is. One thing that I wonder is if Operation Abyss did not meet their general expectations which is why they wanted to hold off a bit longer with announcing it in order to try and squeeze out a few more sales before. Otherwise announcing it now would have people holding off on purchasing Op Abyss just due to something else they would want more being released. Its more of a marketing decision based upon the situation of sales with other related titles, if that is in fact what is going on.

Id imagine what screwed up things slightly for them also was the delay with Op Abyss, as I could have seen the game being released this late this year. Though the downside of going into 2016 is they have some pretty large titles to go up against which would overshadow coverage which means they will have to rely more on just word of mouth sales from the hardcore follows of the genre or company. Its why also they really screwed up by not announcing anything useful at all at AX. Since trying to do any sort of announcements at TGS for example will get potentially drowned out by other things. They had a pretty clear and open window during AX and totally blew that window straight to hell. Considering that this years TGS is being said to be the largest ever, means lots of potential news going around so that goes back to limited space with getting the message out without being lost in the sea of other announcements.

Couldn't NISA just hold their own press conference whenever they feel like to announce stuff, though? They manage to do it every Feb/March.

I forgot about Operation Abyss & the delay though. That could well be the reason we didn't hear about Stranger at AX.

As I read through my stored pages of Ciel slowly (saved everything since it's gonna be takem down and all) I am getting more and more interested in this world. I ordered the LE to play once I finish the story. I do wish they sold the cart for the game only, I really don't care about the LE box or anything that is in it. Probably gonna be stored away somewhere to never be touched again, just like all my other LE crap. I wonder when I will get around to even playing the game. As is I am reading about half a chapter a day.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Couldn't NISA just hold their own press conference whenever they feel like to announce stuff, though? They manage to do it every Feb/March.

I forgot about Operation Abyss & the delay though. That could well be the reason we didn't hear about Stranger at AX.

The problem is they made their panel title literally saying it would be about future games for 2016. Which didnt happen. So that was a huge cockup. As people were expecting things to be announced.

If they just went with something more generic expectations would have most def been lowered.

That and they most def do not want to delay with getting the game out also. Since honestly would be bad if they did not release it this year. Not exactly bad, but pushing it into 2016 does not seem like the best idea either.

hgMm5iK.png

Sounds good to me :)

Pre-ordered Journey, Rapture, and Galak-Z. They all come with themes, and the Rapture theme is dynamic!

I also purchased the Toro theme for $1.99, it is a beautiful, cute and dynamic theme.

wilflare

It's your own fault to buy them in digital( and brought youfself a burden) and now you're complaining?

lol... what. how am I complaining?
I buy them digital because I like the accessibility and convenience that it brings.
I would gladly get a 128/256GB so I can all my games on a single memory card but alas, no such options exist.

if PSN, in particular the Library/Download List on the Vita, was better designed, it would really help make the whole experience a lot better.
As of now,
(1) some games are taken off for no rhyme or reason, even the Download List isn't secure
(2) there's no way to separately manage Game Saves, DLCs, Game Updates on the Vita
(3) there's no way to easily filter/sort the Download List so you can see what you have installed on the Vita (and also to queue games to be installed)
- yes, in a sense, I'm looking for something like the Steam Library (I delete, and re-download my games) but there's nothing like that for PSN... which leaves me to just back up everything on my PC (as a way to manage)

Hikami

Bought one of the Blazblue games from the fighting game sale last night.. been playing it a bit. Feels weird playing this on a Vita, it's like I'm not sure if I should be using the d-pad or the stick.

SerTapTap

Bought one of the Blazblue games from the fighting game sale last night.. been playing it a bit. Feels weird playing this on a Vita, it's like I'm not sure if I should be using the d-pad or the stick.

d pad for sure IMO, the clicky pad is really nice for that. Arcade stick > d pad > analog stick

if PSN, in particular the Library/Download List on the Vita, was better designed, it would really help make the whole experience a lot better.
As of now,

I really, really, REALLY wish they would make a Library app for PS Vita, even if it's a full app that requires closing your games to use. The UI on PS4 is basically fine and would work for Vita too, just let me remove/hide demos, maybe some sorting options. But basically all I really want is a big ol' list of games with pictures, and DLC as a drill down menu a la PS4's related content thingy on the main page, or a "download with DLC" option when redownloading. As of now I just back up all my new games to PC, and I'm fine with that anyway, but that's still not a great way to browse all the games I have.

PSDLE (download list enhancer plugin for the webstore) helps, but on Vita the webstore download list is far from instant so it's not always what I need either.

Speaking of, is there any way to manually trigger the Vita's "check for remote download queue items"? Several times now I've bought games while at work, queued for download, then I get home hours later and I have to manually download from the download list anyway.

Journey is cross-buy between PS4 and PS3 right? So if I pick up the pre-order for the PS4 version at 11.99 I should have the PS3 version? Then why is the PS3 version 14.99?

wilflare

d pad for sure IMO, the clicky pad is really nice for that. Arcade stick > d pad > analog stick

I really, really, REALLY wish they would make a Library app for PS Vita, even if it's a full app that requires closing your games to use. The UI on PS4 is basically fine and would work for Vita too, just let me remove/hide demos, maybe some sorting options. But basically all I really want is a big ol' list of games with pictures, and DLC as a drill down menu a la PS4's related content thingy on the main page, or a "download with DLC" option when redownloading. As of now I just back up all my new games to PC, and I'm fine with that anyway, but that's still not a great way to browse all the games I have.

PSDLE (download list enhancer plugin for the webstore) helps, but on Vita the webstore download list is far from instant so it's not always what I need either.

Speaking of, is there any way to manually trigger the Vita's "check for remote download queue items"? Several times now I've bought games while at work, queued for download, then I get home hours later and I have to manually download from the download list anyway.

glad someone understands what I mean (whew)
the PS4 Library App would be great (it's still missing some features/polish but it works for now... I would appreciate at least a Installed games sort filter)

SerTapTap

In some ways I like the PS4 Library better than Steam's app. way too many clicks to install a game on Steam. Though I recently learned you can ctrl click to install multiple games.

Journey is cross-buy between PS4 and PS3 right? So if I pick up the pre-order for the PS4 version at 11.99 I should have the PS3 version? Then why is the PS3 version 14.99?

Probably just didn't bother to discount the PS3 version--they still have separate store listings. It was always slightly weird how cross buy works, it really is 2 or 3 store items, but you only buy one and then all 2-3 are added to your download list. The real question is whether preordering gives you the PS3 version instantly or when the PS4 one launches.

Probably just didn't bother to discount the PS3 version--they still have separate store listings. It was always slightly weird how cross buy works, it really is 2 or 3 store items, but you only buy one and then all 2-3 are added to your download list. The real question is whether preordering gives you the PS3 version instantly or when the PS4 one launches.

And I wouldn't be bothered by having to wait a week for three bucks. I just don't have a PS4 yet and figured it was time to hop on a Journey sale!

Pretty boring digital sale for EU. So far I've only bought Super Mega Baseball which is pretty fun. Is there one more week of this sale? I'm hoping to see Ziggurat discounted.

kunnikuman

Neo Member
lol... what. how am I complaining?
I buy them digital because I like the accessibility and convenience that it brings.
I would gladly get a 128/256GB so I can all my games on a single memory card but alas, no such options exist.

As of now,
(1) some games are taken off for no rhyme or reason, even the Download List isn't secure
(2) there's no way to separately manage Game Saves, DLCs, Game Updates on the Vita
(3) there's no way to easily filter/sort the Download List so you can see what you have installed on the Vita (and also to queue games to be installed)
- yes, in a sense, I'm looking for something like the Steam Library (I delete, and re-download my games) but there's nothing like that for PSN... which leaves me to just back up everything on my PC (as a way to manage)
What does your complaint on backing up large data have to do with PSN? Should had bought them physical or you can always buy multiple cards for your convenience.

Also none of those 2 bottom points you list will ever happen for Vita. Never. At this stage, sony won't bother updating firmware and it will be only minor change if they ever do.

What does your complaint on backing up large data have to do with PSN? Should had bought them physical or you can always buy multiple cards for your convenience.

Also none of those 2 bottom points you list will ever happen for Vita. Never. At this stage, sony won't bother updating firmware and it will be only minor change if they ever do.

He is saying if it was easier to see what games have been purchased it would be easier to download and back them up. A better library list or even a better option to sort the list (I don't want to see my PS3 purchases in my Vita list) is a PSN thing. As for the "should have bought physical" crap, really? Come on PS+ and its free games each month and you suggest re-buying physical copies of those games? You can't be serious.

Also just because those things won't happen is not any reason to stop wanting them to happen. Change doesn't come from being idle.

autoduelist

It's your own fault to buy them in digital( and brought youfself a burden) and now you're complaining?

Seriously?

That's just conspiracy theory level bull
Sony gains nothing from "killing" the Vita

Completely agreed. Sony has no interest in 'killing' the vita. It makes them money. It's just not enough money to justify investing in more AAA games, but it's silly to think they'd want to kill it dead -- not only does that remove the foothold they have in handhelds [and it's a good idea to keep footholds 'just in case'], but it would kill a revenue stream, damage customer relations, hurt developer relations [vita dev seems to be a nice stepping stone], and more. Furthermore, it hurts the whole remote play thing, which seems to be something they're invested in.

There's no upside to 'killing it', when they can make money off of near zero investment just letting third parties and buy-happy customers make them money.

Am i the only one that saw sony making no vita e3s, declaring that they'll make no first party support, that vita is still alive only because we buy games, that vita is a legacy console and so on or it was just my imagination? Please Yian.

None of that matters in terms of your initial claim that they are 'killing' the vita.

No Vita announcements at a major conference like E3 is no surprise -- they're smartly focused on the PS4, which is selling gangbusters. You keep the focus on that at trade shows - any vita references are rightly a footnote. That is not killing the vita, that's smart handling of a trade show.

First party support. Again, we didn't buy anything they did produce. KZ failed. Tearaway failed. Uncharted and Gravity Rush didn't tear up the charts. We bought indies, we bought localizations. We told Sony we didn't want AAA games with our wallets, they didn't tell us.

The 'legacy' quote was taken out of context and was intentionally misconstrued by those that want the Vita dead. It changed nothing, and House didn't mean what people try so hard to make it sound like he meant. It's just like when they announced PSM was going down and people claimed 'vita is dead', even though nobody used it, or when they said Destiny of Spirits was being discontinued, and people claimed 'vita is dead', even though nobody actually played it (and the few that did, rarely if ever bought anything). Getting worked up over a misconstrued word taken out of context at an investors meeting is the definition of grasping at straws.

What has Sony actually done?

Despite a 'failed' system, they noticed smaller games were selling well and went out of their way to push a huge indie wave onto the vita. Sony made that happen. Likewise, they began a program to get more games localized, helping push the vita on that front. Sony helped make that happen. They actively responded to what we were actually buying, shifted focus, and kept at it. That's great, in my book.

Did they convert the vita into a success? Not by traditional metrics, no... but they definitely kept games coming out because if they hadn't done what they did we'd have a truly dead system on our hands. Acting like they want to kill it, when in fact they've actively 'saved' it from certain death, is completely unfair to them. They helped it find it's niche, they helped develop that niche, and they're the reason we're still all here loving it and buying new games for it.

kunnikuman

Neo Member
We? We didn't buy their AAA games? Who are we?

No one used PSM? Really? I wonder how I got Tokyo JungleM and such then.

I wonder how Destiny of Spirits climbed to over million downloads? Yeah, no one evet played it. That is what it must have been.

House didn't say anything wrong, it is truly legacy to Sony at this point.

And that one game they're truly localizing is on PS3. That's funny.

Did they ever comment on it?

Yep

Vita version of Eiyuu Senki is going to be released in Japan at the end of this month. We will be working on the PS3 version which was released six months ago. This does not mean that we will stop working on PC either, we have very good news on that department coming very soon.

We will consider a Vita release based on the success of the PS3 one, but I want to note that we received a surprising amount of demand for the Vita version. Considering it is not even released yet...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=111052300#post111052300

Saphirax

Corprate apologists. And We? We didn't buy their AAA games? Who are we?

I wonder how Destiny of Spirits climbed to over million downloads? Yeah, no one evet played it. That is what it must have been.

That comment about PSM wasn't meant to be taken literally. PSM never really took off, that's why it's shutting down - you can even find that out by googling it.

DoS had over a million downloads, that doesn't mean anything when the majority of those people didn't support the game by buying the in-game currency.

RK128

Corprate apologists. And We? We didn't buy their AAA games? Who are we?

Okay, I will answer all of your points :l.

1) We are not corporate apologists, but are honestly being realistic; the Sony mismanaged their retail releases and at times rushed them to market, leading them to not be as successful as they should of been. Its a shame that the market and Sony themselves lead to poor success of their first party line up. What genus releases your charming 3D adventure/platformer at the launch of not only your own console (PS4) but at the launch of 3D World and Link Between Worlds? Sony messed but so did the market; they showed no interested in AAA-tier releases for the Vita and they responded to that.

2) PSM's closing is a shame, as a lot of interesting games are dying with it. But, its closing is due to un-natural integration within the PS eco system and it not kicking off on smart phones (the main 'goal' of the program). Its a shame that indie developers projects now have to be moved to standard PSN releases (if they can do that) but just like PSN and XBL, its a digital platform; something that is not sacred. We will all have a big discussion when what happens to PSM happens to PSN, XBL and Nintendo's E-Shop, but that is (thankfully) far away from now.

3) What happened to Destiny of Spirits happens to all free-to-play games on mobile; they close down once it stops being successful or ranking in enough money. So, the game ended :l. I never played it, so I have no attachment to the product, but it is a shame it closed down.

4) What House said WAS wrong; Legacy consoles is what the PS2 became after its finally wave of games in 2006/2007 (KH2, God of War 2, Persona 3, Persona 4, Bully, ect) and that is when the platform gets nothing but 'legacy' installments of games (Madden, Tiger Woods, FFA, ect). The Vita didn't reach that yet and is still getting plenty of great indie games and lots of localization's of Vita games from Japan.

I will close saying this; I'm sorry you hate your Vita :(. Sony messed up big time when they launched it and set big expectations for the platform with AAA software and long support of Sony-made games.

But, they did what they could with the platform and now its thriving with tons of games coming from all over and the owners that love the console, really love the console.

I could point you to the 350+ Vita games thread, or even share my large collection of games for the platform, but that won't matter. If you don't like the console, then I'm sorry :(.

But all of us here do love our Vita's and for a while, was negative about the system too, but we decided to accept reality and enjoy the console for what it is; a system filled with games. Not just AAA game, or just indie games, or just PS Classics or just PSP games. A system filled with games. We got positive about the console and are happy with it.

You are being to negative about it like we all was in the past, and I'm sorry :(. But we are happy about the console and wish to remain that way.

Ventara

DoS had over a million downloads, that doesn't mean anything when the majority of those people didn't support the game by buying the in-game currency.

I don't want to get into the discussion, but that game was garbage. I spent quite a bit of money and time on that, and many others did, too. Half my time spent on that game was from load times. Multiple maintenances every week. There was never a time when the game ran smoothly. The content updates were never anything good (just a few new units). The game was a pure grind. It's failure is squarely on the shoulders of Sony and the developers. Regardless of how many people actually spent money on it, 1 million is a lot of people playing it and they had more than enough people supporting it.

Saphirax

I don't want to get into the discussion, but that game was garbage. I spent quite a bit of money and time on that, and many others did, too. Half my time spent on that game was from load times. Multiple maintenances every week. There was never a time when the game ran smoothly. The content updates were never anything good (just a few new units). The game was a pure grind. It's failure is squarely on the shoulders of Sony and the developers. Regardless of how many people actually spent money on it, 1 million is a lot of people playing it and they had more than enough people supporting it.

I've never played it, so I can't comment on the game's quality but what RK128 said is most likely true; people did pay for it at the beginning but after a while the interest died down until a point where the game simply wasn't profitable enough.

kunnikuman

Neo Member
That comment about PSM wasn't meant to be taken literally. PSM never really took off, that's why it's shutting down - you can even find that out by googling it.

It didn't take off for various reason, Sony didnt support it. It didn't have trophy support. It was seperate section and not in storefront of PSN. Reviewers did have buy from their own pockets so no one reviewed or give press. None of that didn't help publishers like SquareEnix.

How do you know that they didn't buy to support? Oh right, you don't.
I've never played it, so I can't comment on the game's quality but what RK128 said is most likely true; people did pay for it at the beginning but after a while the interest died down until a point where the game simply wasn't profitable enough.
Does RK128 work at Q Entertainment or Sony?

No one paid at beginning since the game had many maintenance from users load. Consistently throughout the year.

Ventara

That's what happens when the developers can't be assed to fix the game. They had ample time. The game was going strong for like a year with all these problems. New units weren't enough to keep people interested. Like, new units for what, exactly? What exactly were they spending the money on?

Anyways, again, that game's failure was purely Sony/developer's fault. You can only serve crap for so long before people get fed up.

RK128

It didn't take off for various reason, Sony didnt support it. It didn't have trophy support. It was seperate section and not in storefront of PSN. Reviewers did have buy from their own pockets so no one reviewed or give press. None of that didn't help publishers like SquareEnix.

No one paid at beginning since the game had many maintenance from users load. Consistently throughout the year.

I don't work with either of them :l.

There is no winning with you is there.......

Could you take your aggressive and whiny attitude somewhere else? Thanks

Saphirax

If it was profitable for Sony they wouldn't have shut it down.

Edit: You've been jumping down people's throats the whole day for no reason. Stop or go do it elsewhere.

I just don't get the bitterness from you kunnikuman. People are talking about why the Vita isn't dead (years after the initial claims of it being dead I might add) and you seem to be upset that people still like and play their Vitas and look forward to new games coming out on the system, regardless of if they are AAA or not. If you don't like the Vita that is fine, but there is no need to start shit with people that do.

kunnikuman

Neo Member
That's what happens when the developers can't be assed to fix the game. They had ample time. The game was going strong for like a year with all these problems. New units weren't enough to keep people interested. Like, new units for what, exactly? What exactly were they spending the money on?

Anyways, again, that game's failure was purely Sony/developer's fault. You can only serve crap for so long before people get fed up.
They were a year late too address most of it problems. The game should have worked like it did in past few months from the beginning. That is what it should had been.

I think that would be nice too :(. I get kunnikuman doesn't like the Vita, but don't make the people that do like their Vita feel bad about it....
Why are you making things up? When did I say I didn't like Vita? How am I making you feel bad about owning a Vita? Wtf?

autoduelist

We? We didn't buy their AAA games? Who are we?

Yeah. A bunch of us bought TJM. Big deal. PSM was an abject failure and surely cost sony more than it made. That you bought a game changes nothing. That I bought a game or two changes nothing. The majority of Vita owners didn't even know PSM existed until it was closing down, and I'm willing to bet the majority of owners probably still don't know it exists.

DoS was f2p. Downloads mean absolutely nothing. IAP is the only thing that matters, and if it was raking in money they wouldn't be shutting it down. It's not rocket science.

They didn't say, oh, this game is making us $1 million a year, let's shut it down to fuck over everybody. They said -- everybody downloaded, next to nobody is playing it, and few are spending cash. We're losing money every month... time to shut it down.

The same can be said of hundreds of IOS games.

As for localization, Sony is responsible for getting/helping many games on the path to localization, in various ways.

Regardless of how many people actually spent money on it, 1 million is a lot of people playing it and they had more than enough people supporting it.

1 million downloads means nothing. I'm one of them. I put 5 minutes into the game. Zero money. If it was making money, they wouldn't have shut it down.

Yes, we all know many of the reasons PSM failed. But the cause of the failure is completely moot when we're discussing closure -after- failing. Once it failed, it makes sense to close it down. That's a different discussion than assigning blame.

And the reason anyone and everyone knows not enough people buy something to support it is because [insert x] is being shut down. That's what happens to financial failures, not financial successes. They're not going to suddenly shut down Candy Crush or World of Tanks or IOS.... just like Sony will never just 'shut down' psn. Huge money makers, all.

Top Bottom