• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | July 2015

adarker

Banned
Demon Gaze is the best entry into the genre in years, IMO. DRPG GOAT.

I started playing Demon Gaze when it came out and had to put it aside. Now I'm trying to go back to it, I'm lost! Don't remember what I was doing or what I should do next. Recommend a guide to help get me back on track?

I don't order things that often, but my mom has her name on the mail box, so whenever stuff is delivered, they always know to put it in there. Maybe you could do that so in the future, the mail men don't mess up your delivery. Sorry that happened to you names :(.

They leave the package all the time that's the thing, I don't live in a building I live in a house so it's not a big deal. And even then I would understand if the person HAD KNOCKED and no one answered, but I can guarantee you that no one did because at the time that is written on the notice, I was in the kitchen which is a few meters away from the main door. Ugh. Such a huge inconvenience. I'm gonna try calling in around 7PM and see if the package made it back to my nearest postal office. If so, I will pick it up today, if not because of work I will only be able to pick it up on Monday.

I've been on and off playing Vita games this week; put so much time into Tales of Hearts R and now I have no desire to go back to it despite being so close to the end :l.

Been bouncing between a few of the PS+ games though (Geometry Wars 3 and Futuridum EP Deluxe) and even some PSP games (tried playing Dracula X last night and I died so many times on the third level XD! Guess I'm not good playing classic Castlevannia :l).
Between work, the gym and social outings I find myself playing very little in the Summer. I am playing Dying Light now here and there. I'm also reading Ciel noSurge, but God knows when I'll finish that. As a matter of fact, the package is Ar noSurge's LE, which again may not even be played for a long while, until I finish reading everything from Ciel.

My Kingdom Hearts play through came to a halt too. Stopped at II, and haven't had the itch to go back. "Still a long time to go until III" is my line of thinking.

Hikami

rocket league is a good start. then binding of isaac and resogun. give drive club a whirl. seriously, the ps+ games alone will last you quite awhile.

then get bloodborne in the mix somewhere.

PS4 just got here ( ´ ▽ ` )

Definitely trying out Drive Club and picking up Bloodborne later. Already played binding of isaac before and didn't really like it.. Resogun was a PS+ title? Hm, I must have not had PS+ when it was available then.
--

So, my PS4 bundle came with The Witcher 3 and Batman: Arkham Knight.
Already have one of those on PC and don't really care for the other one.. wonder how much I could get for them.

RK128

They leave the package all the time that's the thing, I don't live in a building I live in a house so it's not a big deal. And even then I would understand if the person HAD KNOCKED and no one answered, but I can guarantee you that no one did because at the time that is written on the notice, I was in the kitchen which is a few meters away from the main door. Ugh. Such a huge inconvenience. I'm gonna try calling in around 7PM and see if the package made it back to my nearest postal office. If so, I will pick it up today, if not because of work I will only be able to pick it up on Monday.

Hope you get that resolved man :(. Sucks that the mail man didn't even had the decency to knock on your door X(. Guess he had a bad day and felt lazy or something :l.

Definitely trying out Drive Club and picking up Bloodborne later. Already played binding of isaac before and didn't really like it.. Resogun was a PS+ title? Hm, I must have not had PS+ when it was available then.
--

Already have one of those on PC and don't really care for the other one.. wonder how much I could get for them.

Wow, that is a great deal Hkiami :D! Both of those are great games, so even if you own one of them on PC already, its nice that you got them for free :). I guess you're not a huge Batman fan (as I'm assuming you got Witcher 3 on PC). But Arkham Knight is a solid game overall; same core gameplay as Arkham City (open world where you are Batman and kil...I mean, break criminal's spines and do stuff you would expect Batman to do) but with better visuals, some new combat elements (Fear Take-Downs) and being able to ride the Batmobile (which is mixed; some like it while others hate it).

If you plan on selling it, you could likely find someone on Gaf that would want the game for 30-40 bucks (as the game brand new is 60).

SerTapTap

--

Binding of Isaac has a learning curve, I'd try to beat Mom (first boss) if you can though. It's a very love-hate game but I think the hate is mostly due to confusion (which is partly intentional, figuring it out is part of the fun, learning in that game feels so satisfying). Shame if you missed Resogun, great game, worth money. There's other good PS+ stuff like Velocity 2X and Hohokum depending on when you subbed/claimed. Driveclub is great IMO though not everyone seems to like the controls.

RK128

Binding of Isaac has a learning curve, I'd try to beat Mom (first boss) if you can though. It's a very love-hate game but I think the hate is mostly due to confusion (which is partly intentional, figuring it out is part of the fun, learning in that game feels so satisfying). Shame if you missed Resogun, great game, worth money. There's other good PS+ stuff like Velocity 2X and Hohokum depending on when you subbed/claimed. Driveclub is great IMO though not everyone seems to like the controls.

Also recommend Dust if he got that :D! A fun Metroidvanna that while may bother you if you don't like the art style, still is a fun game :). Will play that first whenever I get my PS4 in the future :).

Fez, SteamWorld Dig and Bending of Issac are also fantastic Plus games too :D.

SerTapTap

Oh right, loved Fez. I actually had it from before and never got too far, then marathoned it 100% within 24 hours. You WILL require a guide for some of the super extreme puzzles (they were designed to be figured out via community effort) but you can "beat" the game once on your own, see how far you get in NG+ under your own power then look up stuff if you wish. It's got a really interesting world I love to poke around in, though I'm disappointed there's no sequel and
at the general lack of payoff/conclusion. Some very interesting threads don't seem to go anywhere

Steamworld is a solid, not super great not super long Metroidvania. Didn't beat it, did enjoy what I played. Ditto for Dust, Dust had decent combat too. Axiom Verge is still the best Metroidvania on the PS4 though. And by far the most similar to Metroid of course.

RK128

Oh right, loved Fez. I actually had it from before and never got too far, then marathoned it 100% within 24 hours. You WILL require a guide for some of the super extreme puzzles (they were designed to be figured out via community effort) but you can "beat" the game once on your own, see how far you get in NG+ under your own power then look up stuff if you wish. It's got a really interesting world I love to poke around in, though I'm disappointed there's no sequel and
at the general lack of payoff/conclusion. Some very interesting threads don't seem to go anywhere

Steamworld is a solid, not super great not super long Metroidvania. Didn't beat it, did enjoy what I played. Ditto for Dust, Dust had decent combat too. Axiom Verge is still the best Metroidvania on the PS4 though. And by far the most similar to Metroid of course.

Really enjoyed my first couple of hours with Fez but after getting 80%, I just dropped it due to getting lost and not knowing what to do next :l. But I had a lot of fun with it though :).

SteamWorld Dig was great :D. I remember loving the game when it first came out and I got lost in it (after three 5-hour game sessions, almost 100% the game XD!).

I really like the look of Dust and I look forward to playing that when I get my PS4 in the future :).

Axiom Verge is something I cannot wait to play whenever it lands on Vita :D! It will be the Metroid game I have wanted since 2007 :').

SerTapTap

Damn that is a GREAT sale as I look at stuff. Decent price on the Handsome Collection for how sorta-new it is (and it's a lot of content), great prices on TxK, Raiden IV, Neptuna games, Gradius Collection, Red Faction Guerilla, Pixeljunk Shooter, The Swapper, I recommend all of that.

Anyone here play Om Nom Galaxy btw? I played it a bit in early access, didn't really jive with me. I didn't play enough to properly judge it I'm sure, wonder what it's like once you fully understand it.

SteamWorld Dig was great :D. I remember loving the game when it first came out and I got lost in it (after three 5-hour game sessions, almost 100% the game XD!).

Was it that long? I thought I heard it was short. Then again some people say 20 hours is short, depends on the game I guess

While we're talking about mail, this arrived today (finally)

hKc9jZ0.jpg

Had to pay 16€ in customs which I wasn't happy about at first, but after playing P4DAN for a few hours I don't care anymore and would've gladly paid another 20€.

I haven't really played games in a few weeks because reasons and P4DAN is exactly what I needed right now. It's colorful and happy and just awesome. Playing it highlights some strengths of P4 in general, because it really feels like meeting friends again that you haven't seen for a few years. I don't understand anything about the story (it seems cool though) but that doesn't even matter. I love it.

The game will get a patch next week that lets you disable the talking during songs btw, so that issue will be fixed and you can play the english version even if you hate the dub. Because you really should.

RK128

Damn that is a GREAT sale as I look at stuff. Decent price on the Handsome Collection for how sorta-new it is (and it's a lot of content), great prices on TxK, Raiden IV, Neptuna games, Gradius Collection, Red Faction Guerilla, Pixeljunk Shooter, The Swapper, I recommend all of that.

Anyone here play Om Nom Galaxy btw? I played it a bit in early access, didn't really jive with me. I didn't play enough to properly judge it I'm sure, wonder what it's like once you fully understand it.

Was it that long? I thought I heard it was short. Then again some people say 20 hours is short, depends on the game I guess

I'm a bit tron on which games to get; Neptuina Rebirth 2 and Radien IV or a number of the PSP/Indie games currently on sale. I'm leaning on Neptuina and Radien IV (as both are great games that I have been wanting for a while now).

Regarding Steamworld Dig, I guess it was 2-3 three hour sessions but still, I really loved the game, so I guess I got lost in it XD.

SerTapTap

I would have bought DMC4:SE retail from the US but I'm not willing to import it. It's ridiculous THAT gets digital only and not DMC (or you know both physical). I'd even accept retailer exclusive, I'd happily have a bunch of games go Amazon only than digital only.

I'm a bit tron on which games to get; Neptuina Rebirth 2 and Radien IV or a number of the PSP/Indie games currently on sale. I'm leaning on Neptuina and Radien IV (as both are great games that I have been wanting for a while now).

Regarding Steamworld Dig, I guess it was 2-3 three hour sessions but still, I really loved the game, so I guess I got lost in it XD.

IF it helps Neptunia Rebirth 2 is a bit longer than 1 (reb 1 was about 20 hours, most of the other games go around 40 hours for first clear), so Nep and Raiden should be a good chunk of game. Both options are good.

If you get Neptunia 2 I recommend either not going for trophies, or using a guide for endings (saves in the right places and planning make it WAY less painful) and the $1 DLC to "cheat" in the Stella minigame. You will HATE Stella. If you don't care for trophies, basically ignore Stella and go for the true ending.

If you don't like grimdark stuff, do not let Planeptune's shares go over 50%.

And you can always ask for help or discuss the series in general in the Neptunia Community OT *sparkles*

RK128

I would have bought DMC4:SE retail from the US but I'm not willing to import it. It's ridiculous THAT gets digital only and not DMC (or you know both physical). I'd even accept retailer exclusive, I'd happily have a bunch of games go Amazon only than digital only.

IF it helps Neptunia Rebirth 2 is a bit longer than 1 (reb 1 was about 20 hours, most of the other games go around 40 hours for first clear), so Nep and Raiden should be a good chunk of game. Both options are good.

If you get Neptunia 2 I recommend either not going for trophies, or using a guide for endings (saves in the right places and planning make it WAY less painful) and the $1 DLC to "cheat" in the Stella minigame. You will HATE Stella. If you don't care for trophies, basically ignore Stella and go for the true ending.

If you don't like grimdark stuff, do not let Planeptune's shares go over 50%.

And you can always ask for help or discuss the series in general in the Neptunia Community OT *sparkles*

Thanks for the heads up :).

I did enjoy what I played of Rebirth 1 (put a good 20-30 hours into it before dropping it to play other games) :), so getting Rebirth 2 sounds nice :D.

And I saw the 'Conquest' Ending on YouTube....that is some dark stuff man X(. Honestly surprised the game even HAS that ending considering how positive the game normally is. But it fits the 'message' of the series (with it being an allegory for the gaming industry in some ways), so its an interesting thing to include in the series.

Regarding trophies.....I don't really care about those; if you look at my trophy list, I have well over 150+ incomplete games XD!

SerTapTap

The ending is odd for sure, IMO it's actually pretty well written, but obviously extremely clashy and they haven't done anything like it since. Some people even suspected they'd remove it from Rebirth 2 (they didn't, but there is an alternate ending you can get that "cancels" into a different ending under certain circumstances)

If you're 20-30 hours in you're probably close to the end of Rebirth 1, unless you dawdled, did lots of side stuff or just left the game idle, it's 20-25 hours or so long. Also, reb 1 is the only game with those difficulty spikes, so rejoice for that.

RK128

The ending is odd for sure, IMO it's actually pretty well written, but obviously extremely clashy and they haven't done anything like it since. Some people even suspected they'd remove it from Rebirth 2 (they didn't, but there is an alternate ending you can get that "cancels" into a different ending under certain circumstances)

If you're 20-30 hours in you're probably close to the end of Rebirth 1, unless you dawdled, did lots of side stuff or just left the game idle, it's 20-25 hours or so long. Also, reb 1 is the only game with those difficulty spikes, so rejoice for that.

I'm up to the part where you are fighting the CPU 'Clones' so I guess I'm close to the end then :).

Will go back to the game once I finish Tales of Hearts R (....should be close to over with that one at this point; party if level 45-47 and we are inside the heart of a tree thing :l).

Kudo

While we're talking about mail, this arrived today (finally)

Had to pay 16€ in customs which I wasn't happy about at first, but after playing P4DAN for a few hours I don't care anymore and would've gladly paid another 20€.

I haven't really played games in a few weeks because reasons and P4DAN is exactly what I needed right now. It's colorful and happy and just awesome. Playing it highlights some strengths of P4 in general, because it really feels like meeting friends again that you haven't seen for a few years. I don't understand anything about the story (it seems cool though) but that doesn't even matter. I love it.

The game will get a patch next week that lets you disable the talking during songs btw, so that issue will be fixed and you can play the english version even if you hate the dub. Because you really should.

Is P4DAN story fully voiced? Might import it if it is.

Ponn

Banned
Got Nep Rebirth 1, Rebirth 2 and Noire. Decided to just go digital with these for the price and convenience. Also got Frozen Synapse Prime, I heard good things about it as a strategy game and also Soldner X2 complete. For the price on those two why not. Also finally picked up Lumines for my digital collection. I'm going to have to breakdown soon and just get a 64gb card even though I thought a 32gb would be fine. A 32 GB is totally manageable I will admit i want a 64gb almost purely for aesthetic reasons of having pages devoted to certain game series like a Nep-Nep page and a couple FF pages and a Persona page, etc etc.

RK128

Got Nep Rebirth 1, Rebirth 2 and Noire. Decided to just go digital with these for the price and convenience. Also got Frozen Synapse Prime, I heard good things about it as a strategy game and also Soldner X2 complete. For the price on those two why not. Also finally picked up Lumines for my digital collection. I'm going to have breakdown soon and just get a 64gb card soon even though I thought a 32gb would be fine. A 32 GB is totally manageable I will admit i want 64gb almost purely for aesthetic reasons of having pages devoted to certain game series like a Nep-Nep page and a couple FF pages and a Persona page, etc etc.

Nice selection of games :D!

The Rebirth games will last you a long while, as with the Noire game :). Frozen Synapse Prime, Lumines and Soldner X2 all got high praise, so have fun with them too.

As a 32GB card owner myself, its perfectly manageable to deal with games; you delete the ones you don't plan on beating or not that interested in playing while keeping the ones you find important.

The fact I have 100+ games on my MC astonishes me considering how the 32GB only gives you 29GB XD!

Nice selection of games :D!

The Rebirth games will last you a long while, as with the Noire game :). Frozen Synapse Prime, Lumines and Soldner X2 all got high praise, so have fun with them too.

As a 32GB card owner myself, its perfectly manageable to deal with games; you delete the ones you don't plan on beating or not that interested in playing while keeping the ones you find important.

The fact I have 100+ games on my MC astonishes me considering how the 32GB only gives you 29GB XD!

That's because you're getting Gigabytes and expecting Gibibytes. ;)

32Gigabytes = ~29.8 Gibibytes.

autoduelist

Are you inside your Vita again?

Hikami

I guess you're not a huge Batman fan
You're right
I prefer Superman
Driveclub is great IMO though not everyone seems to like the controls.

I ended up playing a few of the PS+ games, Driveclub was one of them of course and yeah.. Not a fan of how it controls. This is the second racing game I've played that controls like this and I still crash when turning. Can't get a good sense of the speed so I don't how to properly slow down when making turns.

Other than that, Rocket League was really addicting and fun. Had to force myself to play something else so I wouldn't get burnt out.

Finished Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, people weren't kidding about the length. First time trying one of these games, had no idea what the hell was going on but it was fun. Definitely got me interested in the series.

Tizoc

Yo this Godzilla PS4 game is fun, simple but you get to wreck shit as Godzilla, and the INTRO USES THE GODZILLA THEME SADLGKJASDGNASGKHG!

I'm debating on whenever to get that and the other shooters they have on sale or just Rebirth 2 and 2-4 dollar game......

Considering Gradius is rarely ever on sale, I might just get that latter on though :).

Just buy the dang thing if it is on sale :V

RK128

Yo this Godzilla PS4 game is fun, simple but you get to wreck shit as Godzilla, and the INTRO USES THE GODZILLA THEME SADLGKJASDGNASGKHG!

Just buy the dang thing if it is on sale :V

Once I get the funds, will get that and the other shooter games on sale by Monday :).

You just gotta fucking love it when the mail man doesn't even knock on the door to deliver your package, I was home when the notice was dropped. Now I can't even pick it up until Monday. Just lovely. Just fucking lovely.

I think my mailman hates me. I import a lot of things (games, figures and such) from Japan, and I usually have it shipped via some form of registered mail, so it always requires a signature, which always requires him to get out of his truck.

Tizoc

Just got an e-mail from TicToc Games who made Adv. of Pip, they've sent the game for cert. with Sony.
This game is among my GotY contenders, and atm Vita ver. isn't confirmed yet but this is def. a game to look forward to if you like 2D Platformers.

kunnikuman

Neo Member
I think my mailman hates me. I import a lot of things (games, figures and such) from Japan, and I usually have it shipped via some form of registered mail, so it always requires a signature, which always requires him to get out of his truck.
What

How does he deliver without getting out of truck when it doesn't require signature? Throws it at your door?

With me losing my job in less than 30 days time, this is the first flash sale I wont spend any dime on after a while. I have to evaluate my preorders too to get some money's back. probably will get just DT2 and EDF2.

I've played some of their vita indies on sale when I was on ps+, some are good while some are mediocre. It would have been nice it get them now on the cheap but i'm not risking my bank account for games.

crinale

Possibly the worst full crossover idea yet.

Honestly some of Idolmater's spin offs are straight rip off from Taiko (well they are made by same people anyway) so for fans it may be the best fit.
Revenue wise it will easily outdo OG Taiko for Vita

I've recently received an external hard drive as a gift. I'm interested in transferring the locally back-up games from the PC to it, as I have to return the one I use now to the office.

Should I just drag-and-drop it to the ext HDD? or there's some hijinks I need to do to transfer them.

Picked up Resonance of Fate and MGR. Only other thing that really interested me was Hyperdevotion Noire, and $16 is a bit too pricey for that at the moment, considering I'm still not done with Rebirth 2.

Not sure when I'll actually get to either of those two games, but they're definitely higher on the priority list compared to some other games I've purchased in the last few months...

Edit: I understand Resonance of Fate has a rather complicated and poorly explained battle system, is there a good tutorial somewhere I could read once I get to that point to help with the learning curve?

It's a whole new game (Idolm@ster series already have hundreds of songs so they are making dedicated game for it).
I guess if they tried they could just make DLC for current Taiko.

To be quite honest, my heart burns inside. Not (directly) because of Idolm@ster... But because I wish Love Live had games better than those things Kadokawa/Dingo released.

While I have not listened to every song of either group, I like Love Live far, far, far better than IdolM@ster for various reasons. Heck, even their use of 3D (which everyone seems to hate) for smoother motions during performances. I just wish the 2D parts were given more frames to match the 3D.

It makes me wonder if the people who hated 3Ds never watched MMDs or even video of the IdolM@ster games.

Meanwhile on IM@S, I still haven't found heard a song better than Smokey Thrill.

Either ways, I bought a ticket to that Love Live movie for Monday, and I'm hoping I get a good film. (Yahoo auction's going crazy again: Niko's film is currently going for 700,000 JPY. It makes me wonder if these deals actually succeed.)

Sunny Day Song is stuck to my head after seeing it every time I try to watch late night animu and it is/was everywhere in Akihabara.

Movie spoiler(?) :
I'm still praying that the second batch of Love Live follow a similar path to μ's and be as awesome, if not more.

P.S. While I was at Gamers in Akiba, I saw one guy with a big backpack fully decorated with a bunch of Niko stuff. Like one row was a bunch of (same) Niko dolls lined up. @___@

Hikami

Man.. I was hoping the negative stuff I'd heard about Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World was just the usual Gaf hyperbole but.. I'm probably going to end up dropping it.

I was enjoying it at first; it had good presentation, I can see why the characters would bother people but I've watched enough anime to where this kind of stuff doesn't phase me, I liked that the overworld was gone and you could just travel through a world map menu..

The thing that did it for me though was the combat.. god damn. I didn't think the combat in a Tales game could possibly get worse than the first Symphonia's but I was wrong. It's so unresponsive and clunky and just never got better :I
Also doesn't help that I didn't really like Symphonia so the familiar locations and returning characters does nothing for me..

moving on to Graces f instead

autoduelist

I ended up playing a few of the PS+ games, Driveclub was one of them of course and yeah.. Not a fan of how it controls. This is the second racing game I've played that controls like this and I still crash when turning. Can't get a good sense of the speed so I don't how to properly slow down when making turns.

I normally play arcade racers and drift my corners... I'm quite good at them, have platinum'd more than a few... but anything 'sim' destroys me.

I stuck with Driveclub for awhile and it finally 'clicked' and the game is great; I even ended up buying it.

Keep playing the first race -- the most important thing to watch is: green flags = take turn at full speed, yellow = hit brakes just a bit (tap em, usually), red = hairpin turn, slow down a lot.

The game is worth taking the time for it to click.

Edit: I understand Resonance of Fate has a rather complicated and poorly explained battle system, is there a good tutorial somewhere I could read once I get to that point to help with the learning curve?

It's more 'unique and weird' than it is complicated, though I suppose that can make it seem complicated at first. But yes, it's pretty poorly explained.

This guide seems pretty good...
http://www.trueachievements.com/resonance-of-fate-walkthrough.htm?page=3

The key thing to realize is that there are two types of damage -- scratch damage (submachine guns) is the first. It is 'potential' damage that will disappear unless you seal it with 'direct' damage (pistols).

Basically submachine guns do tons of damage... that doesn't stick unless you 'seal' it with a pistol shot. The other thing you'll need to sort out is how to set up your movement to maximize everything, but there's no way i can explain that here.

it's pretty cool, and i bought the game day 1, though i was actually really let down because I was expecting something a bit more 'realistic'... the idea that submachine guns don't actually hurt things unless you hit them with a pistol bullet was just a bit too goofy [for lack of a better term] for me. Still, though, once you 'get' it, it's a cool combat system.

Shizuka

Hey Rika, just do the in-game tutorials. It's really, really complicated, but if you endure and do all tutorials, it'll click and you'll understand what you're doing during the battles.

Man.. I was hoping the negative stuff I'd heard about Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World was just the usual Gaf hyperbole but.. I'm probably going to end up dropping it.

I was enjoying it at first; it had good presentation, I can see why the characters would bother people but I've watched enough anime to where this kind of stuff doesn't phase me, I liked that the overworld was gone and you could just travel through a world map menu..

The thing that did it for me though was the combat.. god damn. I didn't think the combat in a Tales game could possibly get worse than the first Symphonia's but I was wrong. It's so unresponsive and clunky and just never got better :I
Also doesn't help that I didn't really like Symphonia so the familiar locations and returning characters does nothing for me..

Damn, that bad? I still haven't played it yet. As for Graces f, I think it was the first Tales game that I hated. Something about the characters bugged me way to much.

RK128

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the game :(. I guess the issues of that game were large enough that it prevented you from enjoying it.

The combat being so weak is a damn shame, as that is normally the biggest strength of any Tales game (if Tales of Hearts R is any indication; really fun combat system that game has :D). I guess its more limited due to forced motion controls or something, as it was a Wii exclusive in the past.

Edit: Thanks to some trade ins, I will be getting 30 bucks in PSN credit :D! So, my list of games from the sales will be this:
-ReBirth 2
-Solder-X2 Vita
-Gradius Collection
-Power Stone Collection
-Street Fighter Alpha 3

Solid line up of games I think :).

Top Bottom