• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | July 2015

RK128

I fully expect to be paid royalties for that brilliant summary. You're welcome, Mediatonic/Devolver Digital.

I kind of want to play that too now.

How doesn't want to play a game that has its plot be around chickens coming up from the bottom and fighting to the top ala Rocky XD! I was mostly serious with my prior post, as I love the Rocky movies and games touching on that plot really interest me :).

Game summary:

In the not-so-far future, a sudden increase in the chicken and rooster population has brought back a sport long ago made illegal: rooster fighting rings. Japan is no exception, and in the underground, these birds mean big business. As the daughter of one of Japan's top breeders, you find yourself forming close relationships with all manner of charming feathered companions, from Rhode Island Reds to Golden Beauties. Will you be in their corner to heal their wounds after every bout? Or will you help them escape to greener pastures...?

Sorry
not sorry.

jKeqLMq.gif

Substitute the towel with $$ bills.

has anyone here (in PSNGAF) worked in Game QA before? - how was your general experience like?
Never did it myself but a friend of mine did and he only did it once lol. Awfully long hours trying to explore sections of games, meaning you are sometimes playing the same level for days in a row, 8-10hrs a day. You get minimum pay for that here. So in general, it ain't that great. Now this is his experience not mine.

Shizuka

has anyone here (in PSNGAF) worked in Game QA before? - how was your general experience like?

I heard QA is one of the most difficult and worse jobs in the gaming industry solely because you don't play the game, you try to break it anyway you can, poking holes and trying to get through walls and stuff just to see if the game has any bugs, glitches or those stuff. It should still be fun, depending on the game, though.

Shitty pay, very long hours, repetitive work, little to no opportunities for career progression and, at least in the UK, zero hour contracts. QA isn't worth it.

wilflare

Never did it myself but a friend of mine did and he only did it once lol. Awfully long hours trying to explore sections of games, meaning you are sometimes playing the same level for days in a row, 8-10hrs a day. You get minimum pay for that here. So in general, it ain't that great. Now this is his experience not mine.

I heard QA is one of the most difficult and worse jobs in the gaming industry solely because you don't play the game, you try to break it anyway you can, poking holes and trying to get through walls and stuff just to see if the game has any bugs, glitches or those stuff. It should still be fun, depending on the game, though.

Never heard a good thing about being a QA tester

Shitty pay, very long hours, repetitive work, little to no opportunities for career progression and, at least in the UK, zero hour contracts. QA isn't worth it.

ouch... seems like the general sentiment is really rather negative :/
for those who worked in QA, is there any structure to it at all?
or do you simply just play and comment on any anomalies?

RK128

They can't be mad that they paid $40 to beta test a shitty translation?

That is a good point; the original translation was.....'shoddy' at best :(. But, the core gameplay was strong enough and I don't think Bamco expected it to be such a success in the west that it was; must of wanted modest sales but didn't expect the Vita audience to eat the game up.

If anything, we got the localization due to it being very cheap for them; all they did was make very small edits to the English-Asian version and sold it to the west a few months after that version launched.

Now that they know the brand is successful in the west, they put far more care into the translation to ensure that success (Lost Songs English-Asian version's story and dialog is far better then anything in Hallow Fragment), so them re-visiting Hallow Fragment and fixing up its script for the PS4 version makes a lot of sense; they want to have consistency across that and Lost Song's translations.

The only sour note is, like you stated, that version is not coming to the Vita (as of now, we don't know if they will make a new version of Hallow Fragment for the Vita in the future). And considering many of us paid 40 bucks to digitally own the game (no retail copies for NA/EU).....it makes it a far bitter pill to swallow :(.

I have hope that Bamco learned their lesson though; if you are localizing anything to the west, make sure your script and translation meets decent standards at the very least.

autoduelist

QA in general is not where you want to be. I can go into more specifics if you'd like, but others have basically covered it. You want to be on the coding side of any IT related project imo. If you're just trying to get a job while you're in school or something, then maybe? But.... in general, avoid avoid avoid. I've met one high level QA guy that was very happy with his job, but he worked himself up into management so his job was actually interesting. But if you're going to aim high, then aim for a different department to begin with imo.

incpdo

something about penetrating to the next level in early high rank
Lol i didnt know SAO translation was that bad I was intrigued about the game idk if I should buy it now , I mean I totally dig jrpgs. Tried a few chapters of the anime but didn't click on me.

Hikami

Tales of Graces f combat is sooo good, people weren't kidding about that. Not far enough to judge the characters/story yet.
But yeah, I can tell I'll enjoy this one more than Symphonia/Abyss.

Actually playing on Hard mode for once and using all the characters in battle.

edit; Noticed I've been posting a lot of Tales stuff here, probably because there's no community thread for the series.. I wonder why

Vylash

Tales of Graces f combat is sooo good, people weren't kidding about that. Not far enough to judge the characters/story yet.

edit; Noticed I've been posting a lot of Tales stuff here, probably because there's no community thread for the series.. I wonder why

tales has had a community thread for years, even if it's not super active

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607511

bobohoro

Huh, you're right. Weird.
Graces F battle system is bonkers, one of the best in the genre. Shame I didn't have the patience to really sit down and master it a bit more, since everything else about the game is so bad.

My first few hours with the PS4 were good. I like how snappy and fast everything feels, the menu is intuitive, although kinda cluttered with way too much junk I'll never need. But I'm one that prefers total minimalism, so I've already given up on being pleased by most modern technology, the PS4 comes close enough though. Wanted to play some Driveclub, but needs a 10GB-update first, oh well. Had a quick look at Transistor (meh) and Ground Zero (yay) and already ordered Bloodborne as well as Samurai Warriors 4. Now I just need a new monitor, since my TV is rather old and doesn't even support 1080p. Will probably get an Asus MX279H for it.

Edit: Oh!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
ouch... seems like the general sentiment is really rather negative :/
for those who worked in QA, is there any structure to it at all?
or do you simply just play and comment on any anomalies?

Companies that actually know what they are doing have proper structure set up along with testing schedules and know exactly what to test and when depending on the development cycle a project is currently in.

Shitty companies just let their QA do whatever which results in a lot of useless information by people who have no idea of what the fuck they are doing, which winds up wasting everyone's time.

That is the very short basics of it.

If one is looking at trying to get into the game industry dont waste your time with QA and get yourself qualifications / skills for actual real positions such as Sound, Graphics, Programming etc. As the chances of you landing somewhere that actually does shit correctly is slim and you will be just wasting your own time which could be far better spent learning useful skills for a real career in the field.

RK128

Put more time into ReBirth 2 and finally got back into playing Tales of Hearts R and.....stuck into grinding for a while :l.

With ReBirth 2, I am fighting the mouse guy for the first time and I keep dying (party level 13-15), and this is after being stuck on a fight with Uni (though thanks to a HP boost from some gear, I was able to beat her). I don't mind the level grinding, as things are more fair here then in ReBirth 1 (those difficulty spikes were....really annoying X(), but it's still a bit annoying :(.

Regarding Tales of Hearts R, still inside the tree heart thing (around 22 hours in) and while I'm interested in the game again thanks to switching between party members (making the combat feel fresh, as I stuck with Kor for the majority of the game thus far) but I died fighting the ice creature. Not bad, as I guess level grinding around the save point (which auto-restore/revives your party) till everyone is level 50 might be a good idea :).

Feels nice making some progress in games for once, as I normally just bounce from game to game XD.

Glad you are enjoying the game Hikami :D! I know you didn't really enjjoy the Symphonia games, so its great that you are enjoying Graces f combat system and mechanics. Never played that one, but heard good things about its combat at least :).

Switching between your characters goes a long way to make things feel fresh (as each character feels very unique). Just did that with Tales of Hearts R after sticking with Kor for 20+ hours and the game feels brand new to me :D.

Are we still expecting Bastion to show up on Vita? Do the controls at least lend themselves well to remote play?

Yes we are (I think)! And I don't know how it plays on a console, but I played it for a bit on my iPhone and I assume they'll include button and touch controls to the Vita version. Touch controls worked just fine for me!

Edit: parenthesis

RK128

Finished reading the short summary of Ciel Nosurge and....wow, honestly surprised with how dark and twisted the plot goes into.

Taking over each other's body, humanity being killed, people getting experimented on, plains repeatedly failing, characters that 'appear' close betraying you, Ion getting a really shitty end of the stick :'(......
. Just, man; for something looking upbeat, the game goes in some really dark directions.

Will read the longer in-depth summary when I get the funds to get Ar no Surge but man, I'm interested to learn more about this world :D!

The summary I ready also touches on how the player character forms a relationship with Ion
and it can even extend to her falling for the player;
I guess that is where Ciel's dating sim-roots come in I guess.

Also interesting is learning about how if you have a save of Ciel when you start Ar No Surge, Ion recognizes the mech she meets as the player she 'linked to' from the prior game; nice touch :).

Sword Art Online Re:HF will be 19,99€ in EU.

https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoEU/status/623831714436096001

Now Vita buyers can't really be mad or ask for a loyalty discount at that price

If there was anyone invested in the franchise enough to repurchase the game, I'd go on a stretch to assume they'll get lost song down the road (unless you already had it in Asia Eng) in which case the Lost Song + Free HF deal is still the better option.

This still doesn't make it any less disadvantageous to Vita owners who equally deserve the better translation.

RK128

Says who?

Performance is unknown at this point (so feel free to argue with me about that :)) but it is reported that the PS4 version will be having a new 'episode' focused on the original game character Strea.

We have no idea how long this will be or if this includes a whole new location (mirroring Philia's story in the Hollow Area portion of the game) or it just being a side-story linked across various events/missions.

They did highlight it in one of the trailer though, so it must be big enough to warrant it being an big inclusion in the PS4 port/remaster.

Edit: Here is the trailer from the anime expo on both Re:Hallow Fragment and Lost Song, highlight features both games have.

They can't be mad that they paid $40 to beta test a shitty translation?

Yep, i am no longer mad about buying a full priced digital only game with google translation now that it is available for cheaper on a system that i dont own!
The game was on sale so you wouldn't have had to pay full price and if the translation bothers you so much you could have just not bought it at all. How is that a reason to be "mad"?

If you have a PS4 you can cheaply upgrade and if you don't your situation doesn't change at all. You got what you paid for.

Vylash

The game was on sale so you wouldn't have had to pay full price and if the translation bothers you so much you could have just not bought it at all. How is that a reason to be "mad"?

If you have a PS4 you can cheaply upgrade and if you don't your situation doesn't change at all. You got what you paid for.

was it on sale at launch? i honestly don't remember and i assume miku bought it at launch

RK128

Its also important to realize that originally, Hollow Fragment was a budget release when it came out; very little work was done with the Vita translation outside of some very few fixes, so after fixing those alongside releasing the big patches in the west around the same time they did in the JP versions, that was all the planed support for the game.

Bamco saw it was a popular IP and figured they could leverage it as a 'big' Vita game for the west alongside other titles of them in 2014 (Tales of Hearts R and One Piece World Red R).

But, it exploded in the west, so they decided to re-visit Hollow Fragment and re-do the translation when up-porting the game to PS4 alongside ensuring Lost Song was built in mind for stronger translation.

Long story short; it sucks that the Vita version of Hollow Fragment has bad Engerish, but the game was still a fun game regardless of that :). And now due to our support of the IP on Vita, we are getting not only a 'fixed' version of Hallow Fragment but a fun looking game with Lost Song :D.

Its also good to point out that due to the IP being 'big' for Bamco now, we will be getting another SAO game from the team behind Hallow Fragment in the future (Lost Song was made by different developers) and THAT game will have a strong translation if Lost Song's English-Asian version is any indication :).

was it on sale at launch? i honestly don't remember and i assume miku bought it at launch

The game was full priced at 39.99$ at launch in NA PSN (I should know, I got it very close to its launch and its the most expensive digital game I purchased next to the Ratchet Collection, and I got that through trade-ins XD).

It only more recently went on sale (same with One Piece Red and Tales of Hearts R), so I guess early next year/summer 2016 is when Lost Song will start hitting its sale price.

And with the pre-order deal with NA PSN, 60 bucks gets you two very long Action-JRPG's, so its not that bad at all :).

Takao

Banned
No I don't think so, but being mad at spending $40 on it is just weird when you could have waited for the eventual sale.

The anger stems from spending $40 for a garbage translation that went to fund a version with more content and a better script on another platform. If Bandai Namco wasn't scummy and patched the improved script into the Vita build, I doubt you'd see much anger. Instead they're using their own prior failure as a selling point for a new build.

RK128

The anger stems from spending $40 for a garbage translation that only went to funding a version with more content and a better script on another platform.

The most we can hope for is a Re:Hollow Fragment release on the Vita with a discounted price point (20 bucks; 10 bucks for buyers of Hollow Fragment) that includes all the extra content alongside the better translation.

It sucks that we cannot get the 'best' version of the game despite the fact Vita owners supported IP in the West....but Bamco didn't have much expectations for the title here, so it reflected with the translation quality :l.

And with them NOT pulling a Typo-0 with Digimon, I have a lot of respect for them regarding their treatment of the Vita; they care about our support and hopefully that is reflected through a re-release of Hollow Fragment on Vita with all the fixes the PS4 version is getting.

Edit: The most likely reason that the Vita version of Hollow Fragment isn't getting the improved translation is due to it being hard-coded into the game; it would take ALOT of effort into 'fixing' the translation in the game. So, instead of a patch, we may just get a Vita verison of Re:Hollow Fragment ala other PSN releases on the Vita (Retro City Rampage comes to mind; they replaced the original version with the DX version a long while back).

kunnikuman

Neo Member
Its also important to realize that originally, Hallow Fragment was a budget release when it came out; very little work was done with the Vita translation outside of some very few fixes, so after fixing those alongside releasing the big patches in the west around the same time they did in the JP versions, that was all the planed support for the game.

Bamco saw it was a popular IP and figured they could leverage it as a 'big' Vita game for the west alongside other titles of them in 2014 (Tales of Hearts R and One Piece World Red R).

But, it exploded in the west, so they decided to re-visit Hallow Fragment and re-do the translation when up-porting the game to PS4 alongside ensuring Lost Song was built in mind for stronger translation.

Long story short; it sucks that the Vita version of Hallow Fragment has bad Engerish, but the game was still a fun game regardless of that :). And now due to our support of the IP on Vita, we are getting not only a 'fixed' version of Hallow Fragment but a fun looking game with Lost Song :D.

Its also good to point out that due to the IP being 'big' for Bamco now, we will be getting another SAO game from the team behind Hallow Fragment in the future (Lost Song was made by different developers) and THAT game will have a strong translation if Lost Song's English-Asian version is any indication :).

It's called Hollow Fragement...

Producer

Im actually not mad, im just trying to point out how silly your statement is. How does the game being released on another platform invalidate peoples complaints about the vita version? If a vita-only owner is interested in the game, should they not have a reason to be upset knowing that a ps4 version exists that has the basic feature of having an acceptable translation?

Im actually not mad, im just trying to point out how silly your statement is. How does the game being released on another platform invalidate peoples complaints about the vita version? If a vita-only owner is interested in the game, should they not have a reason to be upset knowing that a ps4 version exists that has the basic feature of having an acceptable translation?

To me the situation isn't much different from any other enhanced port, so if that's generally something people are mad about... sure I guess.

The translation sucks and Vita owners can be unhappy with that, but the new PS4 version doesn't change the situation so there's no reason to get mad at the existence of the port, is what I was saying.

Top Bottom