• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | July 2015

Hikami

Performance is unknown at this point (so feel free to argue with me about that :))
The gameplay video I linked before is a pretty clear indicator of performance I'd say. The only part I remember the Vita version dropping frames was in town when there were a lot of NPCs around.
The video showed the PS4 version in that area running at 60fps though.

RK128

The gameplay video I linked before is a pretty clear indicator of performance I'd say. The only part I remember the Vita version dropping frames was in town when there were a lot of NPCs around.
The video showed the PS4 version in that area running at 60fps though.

Then I guess I was wrong about that; the video you showed me did look very smooth with the frame rate.

The Vita version only had frame-rate problems is like you said, when tons of NPC's or Foes were roaming around (the latter was a common annoyance in the Hallow Area). Otherwise, the Vita version quite well (notably so after the two big patches that came out post-launch for US/EU/JP).

Takao

Banned
To me the situation isn't much different from any other enhanced port, so if that's generally something people are mad about... sure I guess.

Today's enhanced ports live in a world where publishers can patch content into other versions. Typically speaking, one of the features of an enhanced port with a turnaround like SAO's isn't something as basic as a legible localization. That's usually expected in the base product. This isn't a PSone game getting a new translation for a PS4 port. It's a 2014 release.

The translation sucks and Vita owners can be unhappy with that, but the new PS4 version doesn't change the situation so there's no reason to get mad at the existence of the port, is what I was saying.

If the port (that was only funded because Vita owners put with Bandai Namco's garbage) didn't exist there would be no new translation to lament over not being on Vita. So yeah, there's a good reason to be mad.

The most we can hope for is a Re:Hollow Fragment release on the Vita with a discounted price point (20 bucks; 10 bucks for buyers of Hollow Fragment) that includes all the extra content alongside the better translation.

It sucks that we cannot get the 'best' version of the game despite the fact Vita owners supported IP in the West....but Bamco didn't have much expectations for the title here, so it reflected with the translation quality :l.

You're being awfully naive if you think there's any chance Re:Hollow Fragment gets released on Vita. It's not Bandai Namco's MO to do stuff like that. That doesn't mean us as consumers should accept it, or worse yet, embrace it.

And with them NOT pulling a Typo-0 with Digimon, I have a lot of respect for them regarding their treatment of the Vita; they care about our support and hopefully that is reflected through a re-release of Hollow Fragment on Vita with all the fixes the PS4 version is getting.

No they don't. If they did:

1) Tales of Innocence R, God Eater 2, One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2, Dynasty Warriors Gundam: Reborn, etc. would have been released in the west.
2) They wouldn't release all of their Vita titles as digital exclusives in North America (with the exception of SAO: LS, which is getting a Vita retail release in NA, that is being sent to die with that PS4 promo).
3) They wouldn't port all of their "localized" Vita-exclusive projects to PS4.
4) They wouldn't make Vita owners wait for those PS4 ports to be done before releasing the games in the west. Unless you genuinely believe the delay between SAO: LS's Asian English release and NA/EU date is because they're tweaking a script you yourself claim to be fine?
5) They'd patch SAO: HF's script with the improved one they're putting out on PS4.
6) Western-oriented projects like Dragon Ball Xenoverse (which inexplicably disables Remote Play), Naruto UN Whatever, Tekken, Ace Combat, Godzilla, Saint Seiya: Soldiers' Soul, etc. would have Vita ports.

The only reason Bandai Namco's western divisions release anything on Vita is because those versions already exist and the money they'll bring in is considerably more than the money it takes to release them.

Hikami

Actually had the motivation to try and finish this game but nope.. this keeps happening, whatever it is.
B5MMWMP.jpg

RK128

You're being awfully naive if you think there's any chance Re:Hollow Fragment gets released on Vita. It's not Bandai Namco's MO to do stuff like that. That doesn't mean us as consumers should accept it, or worse yet, embrace it.

No they don't. If they did:

1) Tales of Innocence R, God Eater 2, One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2, Dynasty Warriors Gundam: Reborn, etc. would have been released in the west.
2) They wouldn't release all of their Vita titles as digital exclusives in North America (with the exception of SAO: LS, which is getting a Vita retail release in NA, that is being sent to die with that PS4 promo).
3) They wouldn't port all of their "localized" Vita-exclusive projects to PS4.
4) They wouldn't make Vita owners wait for those PS4 ports to be done before releasing the games in the west. Unless you genuinely believe the delay between SAO: LS's Asian English release and NA/EU date is because they're tweaking a script you yourself claim to be fine?
5) They'd patch SAO: HF's script with the improved one they're putting out on PS4.
6) Western-oriented projects like Dragon Ball Xenoverse (which inexplicably disables Remote Play), Naruto UN Whatever, Tekken, Ace Combat, Godzilla, Saint Seiya: Soldiers' Soul, etc. would have Vita ports.

The only reason Bandai Namco's western divisions release anything on Vita is because those versions already exist and the money they'll bring in is considerably more than the money it takes to release them.

I guess your right about me being overly optimistic :(. Still, they could of pulled a Typo-0 with Digimon and Lost Song, but they didn't so I am not mad at them.

You are right though; they could be doing a lot more to support the Vita with more localization's of their JP titles.

I never said the localization of SAO: Hallow Fragment was fine; I just accept the fact that it was a budget release and jumped into the game aware of its spotty Engerish.

They could of made Vita ports of numerous PS4 games (like you mentioned) too, but I guess for various reasons, they never happened.

Edit: Regarding SAO: Lost Song's script, it is fine; just take a look at GadgetGirlKylie's playthrough of SAO: Lost Song's English-Asian version if you want some examples about its translation quality.

Edit 2: I had no idea about Xenoverse disabling Remote Play with Vita......guess it was a bug that they never bothered to fix?

Redhood

OMG please give ~(‾▿‾~)(~‾▿‾)~

Will she be singing the track too? Engrish is too tough to decipher!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Edit: Regarding SAO: Lost Song's script, it is fine; just take a look at GadgetGirlKylie's playthrough of SAO: Lost Song's English-Asian version if you want some examples about its translation quality.

Thats because a studio that obviously has a grasp of the English language did the translations properly for Lost Song unlike Hollow Fragment which was obviously some ESL lowball shit job. That they just went and transferred the script over to the US one with minimal changes.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I don't know why I didn't see this coming, it makes all the sense. Her model and art look great.

I was waiting for them to announce it lol. Glad that they actually did do it and agreed the model looks quite high quality.

VLiberty

It looks like Rocketbirds 2 is still alive, a voice actor has been talking about it lately on twitter. Hoping for the best, especially for the Vita version, I really liked the first game, it was a great modern twist on the cinematic platformer formula.

wilflare

QA in general is not where you want to be. I can go into more specifics if you'd like, but others have basically covered it. You want to be on the coding side of any IT related project imo. If you're just trying to get a job while you're in school or something, then maybe? But.... in general, avoid avoid avoid. I've met one high level QA guy that was very happy with his job, but he worked himself up into management so his job was actually interesting. But if you're going to aim high, then aim for a different department to begin with imo.

sure please go into specifics! or you can PM me if it's better on PM (so we don't end up derailing the thread)

Companies that actually know what they are doing have proper structure set up along with testing schedules and know exactly what to test and when depending on the development cycle a project is currently in.

Shitty companies just let their QA do whatever which results in a lot of useless information by people who have no idea of what the fuck they are doing, which winds up wasting everyone's time.

That is the very short basics of it.

If one is looking at trying to get into the game industry dont waste your time with QA and get yourself qualifications / skills for actual real positions such as Sound, Graphics, Programming etc. As the chances of you landing somewhere that actually does shit correctly is slim and you will be just wasting your own time which could be far better spent learning useful skills for a real career in the field.

I see. hmm. any specific companies that you would refer as having good QA systems?

---
@VLiberty - Rocketbirds 1 was pretty good. glad Rocketbirds 2 is still coming!

kng3025

It looks like Rocketbirds 2 is still alive, a voice actor has been talking about it lately on twitter. Hoping for the best, especially for the Vita version, I really liked the first game, it was a great modern twist on the cinematic platformer formula.

That's really good to hear. I thought the game was silently cancelled or something.

SerTapTap

Just had to claim an EU review code because PSN is ridiculous, Will auto-download work for the non-default account on a PS4 as long as the PS4 is the primary PS4 for that account?

Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds Overdrive (enhanced port) is launching on PS4 today oddly enough. Didn't get an early code so no impressions yet, but the original game was a good co op RPG brawler (standard balance issues that all RPG/brawler hybrids have though, and a bit of lack of polish & some engrish, unsure if that's fixed in Overdrive)

There's a demo for the new Gal Gun out on J PSN now (Vita and PS4)

http://gematsu.com/2015/07/gal-gun-double-peace-mystery-chronicle-demos-now-available-japan

Time to activate my J account on my PS4 I guess ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

EDIT: I need this theme

Prinnieeeessss. I wish localization shops would bring over themes ASAP instead of waiting for the game's release, at least when the localization is already announced.

And a demo for Double Peace? I guess I'll try that. I saw it on amiami and was tempted, but the limited edition is crap (DLC only) and the original was highly medicore. But we don't exactly get many rail shooters...I wonder if VR is successful if Sega might do another Virtua Cop?

I thought this would be terrible but I was pleasantly surprised when I tried it.

Just had to claim an EU review code because PSN is ridiculous, Will auto-download work for the non-default account on a PS4 as long as the PS4 is the primary PS4 for that account?

Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds Overdrive (enhanced port) is launching on PS4 today oddly enough. Didn't get an early code so no impressions yet, but the original game was a good co op RPG brawler (standard balance issues that all RPG/brawler hybrids have though, and a bit of lack of polish & some engrish, unsure if that's fixed in Overdrive)

Prinnieeeessss. I wish localization shops would bring over themes ASAP instead of waiting for the game's release, at least when the localization is already announced.
You mean queuing from the webstore? Yeah that works.

Phantom Breaker PS4 was supposed to launch ww on the 21st but was delayed a few days for US and the EU date is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Browing through the JP PSN is really annoying ebcause of all the themes we didn't get. There are SK Bon Appetit themes for Vita! At least we got the Neptunia Re;Birth themes from IFI.

Tizoc

Figured this is relevant to you people's interest especially when the Vita didn't have a lot of games discounted and that raffles your jimmies for whatever reason
Rumor for now said:

SerTapTap

You mean queuing from the webstore? Yeah that works.

Phantom Breaker PS4 was supposed to launch ww on the 21st but was delayed a few days for US and the EU date is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Browing through the JP PSN is really annoying ebcause of all the themes we didn't get. There are SK Bon Appetit themes for Vita! At least we got the Neptunia Re;Birth themes from IFI.

I thought they said it was delayed so they could do an international release. Could be wrong.

And yeah, the theme stuff sucks. At least we got Toro, I was worried about that one. I still think I'll get a PSN yen card some time and buy some. Speaking of browsing the JP store, I'm SO GLAD you don't actually have to do that to find DLC on PS4. Related Items on the main menu tile finds it for you (if you're on a JP account). I dont' even want to imagine trying to find DLC, in Japanese, on the Vita PSN store.

BTW, is a PS3 still the only way to change premium avatars? Or can Vita do it too?

SerTapTap

They should at least make them changeable from the webstore since you can actually buy 'em from the webstore and potentially be unable to use them, and everyone even without a PS console can use the web store. It's not the stupidest thing PSN does but it's up there in terms of sheer absurdity.

BTw, transistor theme is real nice. The background music is great, but I still don't like having background music on my home menu.

RK128

Figured this is relevant to you people's interest especially when the Vita didn't have a lot of games discounted and that raffles your jimmies for whatever reason

Never played this series before, but if it means more 3D platformers on Vita, then sign me up :). Having the Sly, Ratchet and Jak Collections on my Vita felt nice (despite bad state the Jak Collection was in), so getting another series of 3D platformers on Vita sounds great :D.

cross posting from the P4DAN OT. oh my god

http://p-ch.jp/news/detail/?nid=344

uIlvUpF.jpg

unYOp5f.jpg

OdzxMh0.jpg

Honestly, this doesn't shock me in the slightest; Sega owns Atlus and they make the Project Diva games. So Miku appearing in another Sega dancing game makes a lot of sense in hindsight :). Just wonder if you can use her for every song in P4:DAN or just the DLC song included in the DLC pack.

Might want to read that part of the post again.

What did I misspell this time? I made sure to fix my spelling for future posts...... If you are talking about the games translation quality, it IS a step up from Hollow Fragment, so that was the point I was trying get across :l.

Thats because a studio that obviously has a grasp of the English language did the translations properly for Lost Song unlike Hollow Fragment which was obviously some ESL lowball shit job. That they just went and transferred the script over to the US one with minimal changes.

I said (I think it was this page or a page before) that the Hollow Fragment translation was a very low budget effort from Bamco; they didn't expect much from the games sales over here, so they dropped the game over to the west with minimal effort in translation (outside of fixing some key words from the English-Asian version). With Lost Song, the point I was making was that they know the series does well over here now, so they made that game in mind with a future English version, leading to its stronger translation.

VLiberty

Never played Ty 3(I think it was never released in europe, though there might be a PAL version?) and I'd play a remaster in a heartbeat, I really liked the first 2.

f the trilogy were to come to Vita.... :drool: not getting my hopes up, though, as I think the first two were published by EA and the third by Activision. Both cases, we aren't getting anything on Vita, so we have to hope they've got the rights back and are willing to release on Vita. I don't see it coming though

Didn't even know there was a fourth game, It looks 2d but I'll still be interested if good

Tizoc

I actually just heard about this game just now. Was it an old beloved game?

I had no idea there were any sequels to Ty the Tasmanian Tiger.
I've heard of the series but never played it, kinda regret that too :p
While I don't know if it IS coming to Vita at all, if they can get this thing to perform close to the recent Trilogy releases good on them.

Never played Ty 3(I think it was never released in europe, though there might be a PAL version?) and I'd play a remaster in a heartbeat, I really liked the first 2.

f the trilogy were to come to Vita.... :drool: not getting my hopes up, though, as I think the first two were published by EA and the third by Activision. Both cases, we aren't getting anything on Vita, so we have to hope they've got the rights back and are willing to release on Vita. I don't see it coming though

Didn't even know there was a fourth game, It looks 2d but I'll still be interested if good

Even though they were published by those 2 devs, who holds the rights to the IP?

RK128

It sounds like they got the rights back to the first three games, so that must mean they have plans for a PS Family, X1 and/or Wii U release of the four games in the Ty series.

I hope it comes to Vita too, but its more realistic to think about this coming to PS4. That's not bad though, as their are very few platforms for the PS4 as of now, so it this comes out early enough, they will have a market that will eat the game up :D.

VLiberty

I thought this would be terrible but I was pleasantly surprised when I tried it.

@VLiberty - Rocketbirds 1 was pretty good. glad Rocketbirds 2 is still coming!

That's really good to hear. I thought the game was silently cancelled or something.

Yeah it was a nice surprise, I bought it blindly last year when it went on sale and before playing it I thought it wasn't my cup of tea. Instead I liked it a lot.

BTW that's the voice actor:
https://twitter.com/james_mccreadie

Tweeted him about this yesterday, but got no reply though :(

I've heard of the series but never played it, kinda regret that too :p
While I don't know if it IS coming to Vita at all, if they can get this thing to perform close to the recent Trilogy releases good on them.

Even though they were published by those 2 devs, who holds the rights to the IP?

Honestly I don't know. Maybe they got the IP back.

As for the games, they followed the Jak and Daxter course. First game is a sort-of open world Mario 64, second game(and I think the third one as well) was an open world mission-based game. Though the tone was lighter than Jak II's, and I think traversal wasn't as bad. Actually I don't remember a lot, so a trilogy remaster is welcome.

edit: Ty 4 official site has a "Microsoft Studios" logo in there

RK128

Honestly I don't know. Maybe they got the IP back.

As for the games, they followed the Jak and Daxter course. First game is a sort-of open world Mario 64, second game(and I think the third one as well) was an open world mission-based game. Though the tone was lighter than Jak II's, and I think traversal wasn't as bad. Actually I don't remember a lot, so a trilogy remaster is welcome.

I think they got the IP back a while back, as they made the fourth one with Microsoft for 360 and Window 7/8. Now that the exclusivity deal thing is over with, they likely got back the rights for the original trilogy from EA/Activision, so they can do what they want with them now.

And if they want to bring the IP back in a big way, then a strong way in doing so is a remaster of all four games on PS4/X1/Wii U/PC/Vita :).

Thank you for going over the games a bit :D; from what you said, I'm interested in trying the games out whenever they get the remaster treatment.

RK128

Too bad, I was looking forward to this. Thanks SCEE.

Do you have a US PSN account? The PS4 is region free and similar to the PS3, you can have multiple accounts on the same console :).

You could make a US PSN account, get some NA PSN credit from Amazon or somewhere else and get the game on PS4 that way. No waiting and little issue I guess :D.

I know that isn't the best answer, but unlike the Vita where you have to reset everything to swap to different accounts, the PS3 and PS4 makes having multiple PSN accounts very painless.

Just make sure you set your PS4 to 'Primary System' so you don't loss access to games if the PSN servers go down (which happens sometimes sadly :().

kevin1025

Banned
I hope we get a release date and price for The Talos Principle soon. I remember there being retail dates of August 25th but otherwise it's been quiet. Seeing it hovering around $15 on PC several times now is hard to ignore.

SerTapTap

Regarding Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds Overdrive, don't buy the Kurisu DLC if you already bought it on Vita--it's supposed to be cross buy but isn't right now, they're fixing it

...oh, also, the game is out at least in the US.

The "publish on not tuesdays" thing is neat, but I'm not sure it's really the best idea to launch a game like that without an external marketing push.

Too late, the placeholder for Cold Steel is November something and Tom mentioned it will probably get released later than the placeholder.

November is a bit too hot with "big releases". Sure these shouldn't influence their sales for something like TiTS but they may wanna stay away from it nonetheless.

RK128

In somewhat PlayStation realted news, the RED ASH Kickstarter got is long over due console goal announced; it will get a PS4 if the funding hits 1 million.

Here is a link to the thread, which has a link to the Kickstarter and a lot of justified anger toward the project :l.

For those unaware, Inafune has done a.....bad job managing the Kickstarter :(.

Edit: Top of the page :D!

Everyone get Tembo on PS4 and Ar No Surge Plus on Vita.

The former is a great throwback to classic SNES mascot platformers, with the game created by Game Freak. They made tons of great games like the Pokemon series, Pulseman, Drill Droser, and HarmoKnight.

The latter looks to be a fantastic JRPG that meshing sudo-action combat, visual novels and a very in-depth story in one great package wrapped together with great presentation and an fantastic soundtrack. Just read the summery to its prequel, Ciel No Surge here to understand the background to the Ar No Surge and also check out its soundtrack if you have the time :).

VLiberty

I was trying to activate the laser swprd in R&C3 so i started messing around with button combinations. No one works - whatever.

5 minutes later I went to the ship and saw two strange levels, "level15cityname" and "#". I went to the latter. Game crashed. now it won't load anymore. ffs

it looks like I activated some kind of cheat code without even knowing....and i fucked up my save. Luckily I've uploaded the save yesterday, but still, i lost a fuckton :(

Regarding Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds Overdrive, don't buy the Kurisu DLC if you already bought it on Vita--it's supposed to be cross buy but isn't right now, they're fixing it

...oh, also, the game is out at least in the US.

The "publish on not tuesdays" thing is neat, but I'm not sure it's really the best idea to launch a game like that without an external marketing push.

Yeah, it would have been better to launch on Tuesday with the rest of the updates, IMO. Thankfully the game has a little cult following that will net some sales.

I bought it but I won't have time to play until the weekend. Ninja girl FTW.

Top Bottom