• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | July 2015

RK128

I was trying to activate the laser swprd in R&C3 so i started messing around with button combinations. No one works - whatever.

5 minutes later I went to the ship and saw two strange levels, "level15cityname" and "#". I went to the latter. Game crashed. now it won't load anymore. ffs

it looks like I activated some kind of cheat code without even knowing....and i fucked up my save. Luckily I've uploaded the save yesterday, but still, i lost a fuckton :(

The 'god mode' is included in the HD Collection for both PS3 (and apparently from your statement) Vita. Those two levels are either beta or cut levels in Ratchet 3, so their data is still in the PS3/Vita versions of R&C3, so once you select them, the game crashes due to those levels not 'existing'.

Sorry about you losing so much progress in the game though :(. I don't know how to fix that, so I'm sorry I can't help you with that.

A good thing about Ratchet 3 is how easy it is to rake in bolts (same with Ratchet 2), so it shouldn't take too long before you get back to where you left off at :).

How about we get back to doing GotM, guys? Who's up for it?

I think that would be a great idea :D! I would vote Geometry Wars 3 as my pick (would love to pick Ar No Surge Plus for that honor....but I don't own it yet and don't plan to until I clear more of my backlog :().

autoduelist

ouch... seems like the general sentiment is really rather negative :/
for those who worked in QA, is there any structure to it at all?
or do you simply just play and comment on any anomalies?

A good QA team is very structured. Ridiculously structured, in fact. A QA manager will generally read through the design documentation, examine prototypes, etc and design meticulous, boring, repetitive test plans that the QA team need to work through. And then repeat every time there is a patch.

It is generally not just 'play the game! have fun! tell us if you have a problem!' (That's more for alphas/betas released to the public)... but rather, it should be comprehensive checklists of boring behavior in an attempt to 'break' stuff.

For example, imagine going over dialog trees over and over, ensuring ever possible combination leads to the right place. Running around the edges of maps, trying to 'fall in'. Equipping each piece of equipment in an rpg, ensuring all stats are correctly adjusted (over and over again). QA isn't really 'playing' the game so much as it just repeating rote mechanical operations. Testing every menu option, possibly in varying combinations.

You are not responsible for fixing anything, or even trying to deduce the problem. That's someone else's job. You're just doing stuff over and over and over trying to break it. And you're not even free to try to break it in new and inventive ways, but rather, are just going through a checklist of stuff your manager gave you.

Again, I wouldn't recommend QA as a place to start in IT or gaming. I don't think most people would find it particularly engaging or fulfilling. it's not a place you can 'shine' and get a cool promotion. It's generally just drudge work.

Apologies to anyone doing qa work for dissing what you do... it's an important job, but that doesn't mean i'd recommend people aim for it.

RK128

Ahh men, no retail release. For the last "AAA" title to come to Vita, why didn't they go all out with a physical release? Well I still hope they release a physical version once everything else missing is out and patched, in other words, a complete edition.

Its not the 'last' AAA release though; its a port of a third party game handled by the third party relations team (the same people that pushed Bamco to bring Tales of Hearts R and 2K in getting Borderlands 2 on Vita).

The last 'big' Sony projects from western developers was Tearaway and Killzone Mercenary in fall 2013 while Sony's team at Studio Japan developed/co-developed various releases from early 2014 to early 2015 (Soul Sacrfice Delta, Freedom Wars, Oreshika: Cursed Bloodlines). Sony also released various budget releases from 2013 too 2015 (Jak/God of War/Sly/Ratchet Collections, Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two, Disney Infinity 2.0 Vita, I believe Walking Dead S1).

So, long story short, they released their full, honest to good AAA release early this year with Oreshika: Cursed Bloodlines and Resident Evil Revelations 2 is likely one of the final Vita projects (with more 2K ports rumors are right) for them to complete.

kunnikuman

Neo Member
Its not the 'last' AAA release though; its a port of a third party game handled by the third party relations team (the same people that pushed Bamco to bring Tales of Hearts R and 2K in getting Borderlands 2 on Vita).

The last 'big' Sony projects from western developers was Tearaway and Killzone Mercenary in fall 2013 while Sony's team at Studio Japan developed/co-developed various releases from early 2014 to early 2015 (Soul Sacrfice Delta, Freedom Wars, Oreshika: Cursed Bloodlines). Sony also released various budget releases from 2013 too 2015 (Jak/God of War/Sly/Ratchet Collections, Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two, Disney Infinity 2.0 Vita, I believe Walking Dead S1).

So, long story short, they released their full, honest to good AAA release early this year with Oreshika: Cursed Bloodlines and Resident Evil Revelations 2 is likely one of the final Vita projects (with more 2K ports rumors are right) for them to complete.
These are not the same people that pushed for Tales of Heart R.

It's handled and paid by Sony (Borderlands 2 and this also).

Oreshika is not AAA. Every other single games you listed besides Killzone are budgeted games.

Those 2K ports have nothing to do with Sony.

RK128

These are not the same people that pushed for Tales of Heart R.

It's handled and paid by Sony (Borderlands 2 and this also).

Oreshika is not AAA. Every other single games you listed besides Killzone are budgeted games.

Okay, guess I confused 'big' games with 'AAA' games then.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Uncharted is literally the only AAA game on Vita. Even then its on the lowest possible end of that scale if you are being generous. AAA is a term related to budget, not quality.

AAA has no place on handhelds and I wish people stopped talking about it

you never see people talking about AAA games for 3DS because who cares

good games are good games

SerTapTap

Discussions about handhelds are fucking weird as hell in general. So much talk about no "western support" for the Vita as if western developers ever provided anything more than licensed shovelware in notable quantity for any portable console ever. Only with indies has that ever changed.

Discussions about handhelds are fucking weird as hell in general. So much talk about no "western support" for the Vita as if western developers ever provided anything more than licensed shovelware in notable quantity for any portable console ever. Only with indies has that ever changed.
completely agree. barely any big western publisher ever "got" handhelds and I don't miss them. JP games + indies are more than enough, I can get everything else on console and PC

Ventara

I don't think it's fair to compare AAA console and handheld games. Consoles and handhelds use vastly different budgets for their games. I think the term AAA should be used relative to the what a game on the system would normally cost. So, like, maybe Tearaway didn't cost 10s of millions, but it was a high budget game relative to Vita games.

RK128

You bring up a very good point; while we may get the rare quality western handheld game (PSP has a few of these for example: the GTA Stories Games, Dead Head Fred, ect) handhelds largely get support from JP publishers/developers.

The only difference now is that the Indie community exploded on the Vita, giving it some of the best western support a handheld ever got thanks to tons and tons of games from them coming every other week :).

I feel sorry for Sonic here, he means well but you guys always want to start pounding him at the first opportunity.

I walked right into that one though Shizuka; talking about support for the Vita is always a tricky topic to discuss, so if you don't word things carefully, people can get upset :(. Thank you for the kind words though :), made me feel better about my statements :D.

Edit: Besides, Sonic is an easy target for people to bash on sadly :l. Just take a look on any Sonic-related thread on Gaf if you want some example X(. The Sonic Community thread is filled with cool people that like Sonic though :D.

my post wasn't directed at anyone in particular, just for clarification.

I much prefer Sonics extreme optimism to the general Sony/Vita negativity that is often displayed here
I don't think it's fair to compare AAA console and handheld games. Consoles and handhelds use vastly different budgets for their games. I think the term AAA should be used relative to the what a game on the system would normally cost. So, like, maybe Tearaway didn't cost 10s of millions, but it was a high budget game relative to Vita games.

When people ask for AAA they usually mean high production values, high quality cutsenes with motion capture and voice acting and just generally all the bells and whistles from the home consoles (which are not needed on handhelds imo)

I'm pretty sure P4DAN wasn't a low budget game (compared to other handheld games) but it would never come up in those discussions. The term AAA has no meaning on handhelds and we should just stop using it.

RK128

my post wasn't directed at anyone in particular, just for clarification.

I much prefer Sonics extreme optimism to the general Sony/Vita negativity that is often displayed here

Its better to be positive then negative regarding the Vita :D. Learned that last year on Gaf; if you are negative, you get upset fast :(.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

3DS actually has one or two AAA games though. SSB for 3DS and Pokémon X/Y are certainly not cheap at all.

If you are anything like me in order to avoid Vita arguments, you just read all of these things on here, close your laptop/phone, grab your Vita and play some games. Simple lol! AAA, BBB, CCC doesn't mean shit to me if I am not having fun. Whatever we are getting on the console is enough to justify my purchase.

3DS actually has one or two AAA games though. SSB for 3DS and Pokémon X/Y are certainly not cheap at all.

I don't know any numbers but even if true, good luck telling people that. They don't "look" AAA.

Playstation All Stars, Killzone Mercenary, Wipeout, etc.
no list wars pls
the vita was a mistake, it's nothing but trash

with great games
One man's trash is another man's treasure <3

Massa

Budgetwise, not quality wise. All-Stars isn't AAA even on PS3, neither is wipeout. Mercenary...hmm, might be pretty close actually.

Playstation All Stars was Sony's big title for the 2012 holiday season. They set up a studio from scratch just to make it, a rather large one in fact. It was a pretty big failure, but in terms of budget it's way up there.

Killzone Mercenary had a higher budget than Uncharted. It was in development for longer at a bigger team. Wipeout was similar to Uncharted.

RK128

If you are anything like me in order to avoid Vita arguments, you just read all of these things on here, close your laptop/phone, grab your Vita and play some games. Simple lol! AAA, BBB, CCC doesn't mean shit to me if I am not having fun. Whatever we are getting on the console is enough to

Wise words spoken friend :). Will start following that advice going forward; its clear that my responses spark some heated discussion time to time XD.

We are getting tons of Vita games announced left and right....and I'm sure most of our backlogs reach in the hundreds for the console (I know mine is at least 200+ games I have to beat XD). So, we always have something fun and enjoyable to play no matter what :).

I also know the next game purchase I will be making once my backlog dies down a bit; Ar No Surge Plus looks amazing after reading the short summary; if that is the 'Sparknotes' version of the story from Ciel, I can't wait to dive into the full summary in the future XD!

The visuals, music, combat mechanics and world of Ar No Surge look so interesting, so it should be a great new JRPG to dive into once I beat ReBrith 1, ReBirth 2, and Tales of Hearts R :) (and ReBirth 1 and ToHR I am very close to beating too XD!).

Sony announces new Project Morpheus Technical Demo, “Cyber Danganronpa VR: Class Trial”

huh, interesting

http://nichegamer.com/2015/07/sony-...chnical-demo-cyber-danganropa-vr-class-trial/

vr-danganronpa_150724-2.jpg

Its better to be positive then negative regarding the Vita :D. Learned that last year on Gaf; if you are negative, you get upset fast :(.

Oh I didn't mean to be negative towards the Vita guys, what I meant by AAA is that Resident Evil is one of the most recognizable IPs to the mainstream audience that has come to the system.

Ventara

When people ask for AAA they usually mean high production values, high quality cutsenes with motion capture and voice acting and just generally all the bells and whistles from the home consoles (which are not needed on handhelds imo)

I don't think this is the case. I think a lot of people use AAA as a term for a game with a much higher than normal budget than usual, and there are some than indeed do use it as a sign of quality. The point I'm making is that each system is different and will have different budgets for making a game, so trying to use a single definition of AAA to cover all systems is silly. When we use the term AAA, we should take into consideration what system we're talking about.

I'm pretty sure P4DAN wasn't a low budget game (compared to other handheld games) but it would never come up in those discussions. The term AAA has no meaning on handhelds and we should just stop using it.

And that's why comparing console AAA and handheld AAA should stop, as they are both in different leagues in terms of budget. Vita has many AAA Vita games. Would these games be AAA if compared to the budget of PS4 games? No, but why would you compare them? They're Vita games, not PS4 games.

RK128

Oh I didn't mean to be negative towards the Vita guys, what I meant by AAA is that Resident Evil is one of the most recognizable IPs to the mainstream audience that has come to the system.

I wasn't directing that comment toward you or anyone here; just stated that's how I feel regarding my discussions with the Vita :).

I'm not sure if you guys remember but I was the usually the first one to call out any crap Sony pulled with the Vita (remember being very upset with Sony's GamesCom 2014). But, I learned to just enjoy the system for what it is and just be happy with games are coming in the future :).

kunnikuman

Neo Member
I guess you never had a PSP or its just ignorance.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
PSP had a brief run where the best performing games on the system were western developed, it's early days were rife with PS2 ports and spinoffs of western titles. DS just by its crazy popularity also had some games that did crazy numbers for what they were during its height.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
i remember the sheer magnitude of shitty shovelware jrpgs on the ds, dark times

DS had a near PS1/PS2 level of shovelware on it with all of the baby/pony/farming/whatever the fuck sims it had on it too. Some of them were remarkably successful.

PSP's early western success was mainly on the back of GTA and some (admittedly pretty bad) PS2 ports that were awesome because you were playing basically the same game (only with worse load times and graphical concessions) on your PSP that you could play on your PSP, something that basically never happened before. Handhelds routinely did accurate versions of last gen games or wildly inaccurate versions of current gen games, not fairly close ports!

That got old quick and PSP languished for awhile until the PS2 died in Japan and Monster Hunter exploded. Suddenly the PSP became the place for B and C tier Japanese games, which in turn brought a healthy amount of A tier stuff along with it!

AmanoBuff

I agree with this. Even if retail Vita games in general might not sell that well in the west, RE is a very known brand. I'm almost sure they could have gotten quite a few more sales if the game had some shelf space.

Digital it is then. I saw someone playing it on PS4 the other day and I was quite interested.

I played some GTA Online after many months, great game but I still have the glitch where I cant use weapons in vehicles until I participate in a race. Weird that it hasnt been fixed yet?

VLiberty

PSP, and GBA in some extents, were exceptions though.

Tizoc

This.
This has been my argument fort he longest time, but Nintendo Bias is what people hide behind :V

This.
This has been my argument fort he longest time, but Nintendo Bias is what people hide behind :V

I don't think it has to do with Nintendo bias. People aren't asking for AAA on mobile either. "AAA on handhelds" just really hasn't been a thing before the Vita because it's the first handheld that can produce graphics and experiences close to home consoles. I think marketing the Vita as that was never a good idea.

But just because it can doesn't mean it should.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I don't think it has to do with Nintendo bias. People aren't asking for AAA on mobile either. "AAA on handhelds" just really hasn't been a thing before the Vita because it's the first handheld that can produce graphics and experiences close to home consoles. I think marketing the Vita as that was never a good idea.

It wasn't though. That was the Lynx. Even more recently, the PSP, which as I mentioned just a bit ago, found it's great early success by bringing near PS2 level experiences home. Hell a lot of the time it was the same PS2 game only with worse loadtimes and slightly altered graphics/changed controls due to a lack of buttons.

VLiberty

It wasn't the first, but, unlike PSP, it didn't deliver on those expectations.

The fun(or sad) thing is that PSP was overly critized for offering console gaming on the go(those people also missed the ton of fresh and original PSP games but eh). Some people just want to talk crap no matter what.

Top Bottom