• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | July 2015

zadig

Neo Member
I wish the Vita had its own Patapon and Locoroco. At this point, I'd be happy if they'd just remaster(?)/uprez the PSP versions for the Vita. Playing the PSP versions on the Vita is all very good and well, but the games tend to be blurry. :(

Also, I'm hoping people here have played Ni no Kuni (and still remember :p), but how should one set up tactics for party members? I just got Esther, and she keeps getting KO-ed, just from the random enemies on the map (I have her on 'keep HP up', but she tends to run out of MP and then is completely useless). =____= And I'm playing on Easy!

I don't really need any more Patapon. The series did all that it needed to do on the PSP. Great first game -> Second game which expanded everything which made the first game great -> Third game which changed direction and arguably wasn't as good.

Where do they go from there? Only thing I can think of is if they made use of Vita's new inputs for a new Patapon (back/front touch etc.). But since I'm not a particular fan of those inputs anyway, I'm not really fussed.

SerTapTap

I would love a return to Patapon 2's general system with the improved heros from Patapon 3 (with much, MUCH less grind for hero passive skills) and some sort of equipment streamlining so you don't have to manage up to 10 units' gear individually if you don't want to. There's some really cool stuff in 3 that could be brought back to 2's style by fixing some bits.

Combine that with new music, new enemies, better look (well, new assets and higher res, the style was perfectly fine), this-generation online play, I'd buy that for sure. At the very least a remaster of Patapon/loco roco would be great especially since trying to play Patapon 2&3 online and get DLC is a pain, you basically need a PSP to actually play online and do the special online-focused DLC quests.

I don't think new inputs are remotely necessary

SerTapTap

Good to see NIS keep doing what they do. For like a month people were running around like chickens with their heads cut off over that "we could be out of business if Disgaea 5 bombs lol" joke

RK128

I just was thinking about what a Ratchet RPG could play like; sometimes random thoughts come to your mind while doing simple chores :).

As I was thinking this, I thought "You know what, a Ratchet RPG could have its combat system be lifted out Ar No Surge :D".

The combat system in that game uses the face buttons on the PS3 Controller/Vita's face buttons for attacks, with attack having an X amount of ammo. You also have a powerful 'Song' magic attack, that destories waves of foes attacking you. You kill wave after wave (with each wave being on different lanes) and once you kill enough waves, you can use the Song magic to kill X amount of waves.

How could this work with the Ratchet IP?

Well, I think it can work like this :).
-You have a party of three (Ratchet, Clank, Someone else like Captain Quark)
-Each member can equip six weapons (and swap between two sets of three with the press of L/R when in battle)
-There are two too four rows per wave
-Each weapon is mapped to the Square, Triangle, and Circle buttons, with the X button being used for the characters melee attacks (Ratchet's wrench for example).
-You have X amount of ammo for each weapon and it refills each turn; you can also get bonus ammo is you clear waves faster.
-Each weapon has unique properties (Ex: Infector can 'poison' one of the rows and over time, it effects the other foes in the row; Combuster deals fire damage to the foe in the front of the rows and as it levels up, it can deal splash damage, burning more foes in the row/other rows).
-Instead of a screen nuke with the Song magic, you have the gadget system from Tools of Destruction return, with each gadget having a set 'energy' meter needed for its usage (gets built up through items and clearing foes/waves).
-Different gadgets have various effects: Groveatron causes foes to dance, letting you get to damage foes for two full waves. RYNO is the screen nuke that kills X amounts of waves. Mr. Zurkon is a 'support' gadget that attacks alongside the party for up to 2-4 waves; the more energy you have, the more Zurkons you can summon (with a full meter summoning his family to help you out :D).

Combine that with charming dialog that happens during the fights, a combo system with the gun system, and thrown in same composers behind Spyro 2 and Ratchet's PS2 ventures for the OST and you have a great RPG in your hands :).

SerTapTap

Gal Gun Double Peace doesn't even support the PS Move (at least the demo doesn't). What the fuck, how do you fuck that up. And they had finally learned to ditch the garbage male self insert character that is literally always terrible. Oh well.

DRPGs being alive and getting freaking localized is magical for me.

So yeah STFU, Vylash.

It's kinda weird, I don't think I've seen so many DRPGs since the early computer/NES days of them. Almost all of them on Vita even more oddly

Khronico

SAO HF has some utterly confounding tutorials for it's mechanics. I'm not sure I understand much of anything but I think I'm having fun? I don't even know. Is there a good english guide somewhere I can read so I know the combat system?

Yasumi

Banned
Preordered IA/VT Colorful. Not really familiar with IA's music, but 57+ songs with multiple music videos in a rhythm game is really nice. All those extra modes and stuff to unlock, I'll probably get more play out of it than Project Diva.

Guess See the Lights isn't on the actual tracklist? Loved it in the first trailer.

Hikami

SAO HF has some utterly confounding tutorials for it's mechanics. I'm not sure I understand much of anything but I think I'm having fun? I don't even know. Is there a good english guide somewhere I can read so I know the combat system?
Read through the OT, should answer most of your questions.

Arthos

Preordered IA/VT Colorful. Not really familiar with IA's music, but 57+ songs with multiple music videos in a rhythm game is really nice. All those extra modes and stuff to unlock, I'll probably get more play out of it than Project Diva.

Guess See the Lights isn't on the actual tracklist? Loved it in the first trailer.

What's the release date for IA/VT? I forgot to pre-order it until you mentioned it!

I forgot Lost Dimension comes out next week. I want to play it but I have so much to play still! I have yet to touch Operation Abyss as I've been mostly playing Binding of Issac and HDN 1.

Vita is life.

Yasumi

Banned
What's the release date for IA/VT? I forgot to pre-order it until you mentioned it!

I forgot Lost Dimension comes out next week. I want to play it but I have so much to play still! I have yet to touch Operation Abyss as I've been mostly playing Binding of Issac and HDN 1.

Vita is life.

Comes out next Thursday.

Wish I'd decided earlier, I missed out on Amiami's earlier shipping. Nippon-Yasan's a decent second, I guess. ;-;

CrovaxPSO

Gal Gun Double Peace doesn't even support the PS Move (at least the demo doesn't). What the fuck, how do you fuck that up. And they had finally learned to ditch the garbage male self insert character that is literally always terrible. Oh well.

It's kinda weird, I don't think I've seen so many DRPGs since the early computer/NES days of them. Almost all of them on Vita even more oddly

DRPGs have been released in Japan pretty steadily for a while. It's just with the increased focus on localization recently that more are being heard about overseas.

RK128

What's the word on the Deception IV Princess? And is the Vita version competent vs. the PS4 version?

Don't own the game on either console, but my guess is this:
-Vita version runs well enough, looks nice on the Vita's screen and you might be able to use the touch screen for a few of the actions
-PS4 version runs and looks better alongside using its extra buttons (L2/R2) for summoning more traps

That is the most I can think of regarding the version differences, so I hope this answers your question :).

Here is a video of the PS Vita version and PS4 version for better reference :D.

Redhood

What? That is the only IA track I know of.

Why do you hurt me?

Yeah, what kind of monster would hurt Ibuki. Now if only I could figure out how to avatar quote...

Really, as long as more Vita games get made and brought to the West the better...preferably if they are also games I can play on public transportation (I'm looking at you some of the Vita catalog that cant be discussed here).

Really, as long as more Vita games get made and brought to the West the better...preferably if they are also games I can play on public transportation (I'm looking at you some of the Vita catalog that cant be discussed here).

Hey! I've been playing Monster Monpiece on the train... I just dont rub them while playing it. Someone even commented how good looking the Yugi-Oh game that I've been playing LOL.

Ambitious

ckv3fhhwcae6uml.jpg-lhfssm.jpg

Good lord, are you serious, Sony?

bobohoro

Does any kind member in here have an open space in their Driveclub that I could occupy? Don't think I'll play much online or do serious time hunting, but just race around offline a bit and have access to the club unlocks as well.

Ambitious

I don't get what are you trying to say?

I've recently deleted a few games from my HDD. Instead of showing the actual game titles, the Capture Gallery then used "Deleted Applications" for the games' folders, even though it clearly was still aware of the titles: The two folders in the screenshot are for Ether One and FC4, so they're obviously still in the correct position (the list is sorted by title).

However, I just turned on my PS4 to have another look, and the "Deleted Applications" labels were replaced one by one by the respective titles. So it might just take a while to load them.

VLiberty

First thing I saw was "VVVVVVita canceled" and I thought "fuck you Nicalis".

But fuck you regardless. What's different between them(or Renegade Kid) and the other devs? Why does it take centuries to see their games in europe? For fuck's sake we're still waiting for 1001 Spikes which released in NA in June 2014. And it's not even like they need this extra time to localize their games as iirc all of them are not translated in FIGS languages.

Bowl0l

I've recently deleted a few games from my HDD. Instead of showing the actual game titles, the Capture Gallery then used "Deleted Applications" for the games' folders, even though it clearly was still aware of the titles: The two folders in the screenshot are for Ether One and FC4, so they're obviously still in the correct position (the list is sorted by title).

However, I just turned on my PS4 to have another look, and the "Deleted Applications" labels were replaced one by one by the respective titles. So it might just take a while to load them.
In the end, all is ok? Just a simple misunderstanding?

RK128

So VVVVV is still coming to Vita? Cool :D, always wanted to play that after watching this episode of GameGrumps on the game XD. Hope it comes out soon (maybe even next month hopefully?).

Going back into my backlog, got through a lot of ReBirth 2 and up to the point where I have to find items so I can get to Leanbox. The issue is that I have no idea where to go next (as all the prior dungeons don't have any event markers.....), but its a good excuse to level grind a bit and complete some guild missions :).

The past few days I've been listening to the Ciel No Surge soundtrack while reading the summary of the game on and off....and man, it has some fantastic tracks :'). I get why the game was never localized in the west (it being a visual novel X life simulator, it being episodic ala Walking Dead and other TaleTale games, the game requiring extensive translation/VA work, ect) but I wouldn't be against converting its VN portions into a JRPG like Ar No Surge :).

I mean, the story portions are already done, the JP VA's are already voiced, the OST is fantastic and perfectly usable for a JRPG, the battle system can be a modified version of the one used in Ar No Surge, and the life simulation stuff can be converted into 'flash-forward' or intermission sections (sorta like how you have the divide between the school life portions and TV World/Dark Hour portions in the Persona games).

Granted, that will take a lot of work and Gust is very busy with other projects right now, but its a interesting idea they could work with for a future No Surge game :).

Indeed, everything's fine.

Didn't post anything to help with your situation (sorry about that :() but I'm glad your problem got resolved :D!

Lost close to 6hrs of progress in Ar no Surge due to not saving... Problem with standby is that doing it is great but you should always save in case you get hulk-smashed by an enemy. Don't know if I have it in me to go through it all again. Probably not. Game is fantastic, but I don't wanna go through the parts I lost again. Plus the Genometrics stuff that I lost? Even with text skip that took forever... Ugh.

RK128

Lost close to 6hrs of progress in Ar no Surge due to not saving... Problem with standby is that doing it is great but you should always save in case you get hulk-smashed by an enemy. Don't know if I have it in me to go through it all again. Probably not. Game is fantastic, but I don't wanna go through the parts I lost again. Plus the Genometrics stuff that I lost? Even with text skip that took forever... Ugh.

That happened me a few times during ReBirth 1 X(; fought a very difficult battle and then died fighting normal foes....but I forgot to save in the world map before going to the next area like a fool X(.

That is the thing with RPGs; if you don't save frequently, it WILL bite you in the ass :'(.

Sorry you lost all that progress Names, but stick with the game; heard it really is a fantastic experience, so even if you have to replay a few portions of it again, it can't be that bad :).

RK128

Yep, that pretty much sums it up.

TOTP - despite fairly terrible story and plot, Operation Abyss has a fairly solid combat system and well designed dungeons. Not perfect, but debatedly the best drpg currently on Vita.

Glad to hear Operation Abyss is a solid game :D. Even if the story in a RPG may not be the strongest, if the gameplay/dungeon design is strong enough, it can make up for that in spades :).

Hikami

Just tried PS4 remote play, seemed terrible at first.. Though that was because I didn't know you had to enable the high framerate option yourself, looks great now.
Though it just reminded me how badly I want a Vita with L2/R2 (´・_・`)

I remember there being a Vita case that added L2/R2 for remote play.. Was that any good?

RK128

Just tried PS4 remote play, seemed terrible at first.. Though that was because I didn't know you had to enable the high framerate option yourself, looks great now.
Though it just reminded me how badly I want a Vita with L2/R2 (´・_・`)

I remember there being a Vita case that added L2/R2 for remote play.. Was that any good?

I think it was okay, but its only for the Vita 2000 model (no OLED Vita support :() and the L2/R2 'Buttons' are just pressure things that touch the rear-touch pad portions of the Vita; they aren't 'real' buttons.

Still, it reportedly works well, so if you own a Vita 2000, they aren't a bad deal in the slightest :).

Top Bottom