• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | July 2015

40 min into Persona 4G, I love it!

CH0-OGEWwAAHcWJ.png

One day, when everyone plays the game I'll be able to take this poster down...

Saphirax

The thing with Atelier with me is I always end up agonizing over which ingredients to use in synthesis so I don't end up enjoying the alchemy. I tend to use the worst items for quest synthesis out of stinginess (since you have to hand them in and all that), which is probably not the way to do things. Plus, I always get paralysed by indecision when games let you choose what to do. :( I'm also not a fan of time limits in games, though it seems the later Atelier ones are very generous?

I love the art style of Atelier games though, and have three of them on the PS3 (I tried to trade in two of them when I thought I wouldn't play them any more, but the store would only give $2, the uncultured heathens!). I want to get the Plus versions for Vita though.

I wouldn't say it's wrong to use the worst items you have for requests. Unless it was for the main quest (Rorona) or for stuff like the treasure contest (Ayesha), it's what you should do and use your better items in creating better equipment and consumables.

And you're correct - the Dusk trilogy is more lenient; Shallie even does away with the time limit.

zadig

Neo Member
I wouldn't say it's wrong to use the worst items you have for requests. Unless it was for the main quest (Rorona) or for stuff like the treasure contest (Ayesha), it's what you should do and use your better items in creating better equipment and consumables.

And you're correct - the Dusk trilogy is more lenient; Shallie even does away with the time limit.

Good to know, thanks. :) I clocked 30+ hours into Totori before getting sidetracked, but I'd like to get back to it once I finish some of the other rpgs I'm currently playing.

Shallie not having a time limit is one more reason I really want to play it. I remember liking the gameplay screens/videos that were shown before its release. Though if a Plus version is planned I'd probably wait for that.

Omerta

Ah really?
... I just need to get one of those Nyko smart clips so I can mount my Vita on my DS4.

Heads up:

The vita won't fit in the smart clip out of the box.

I modified mine with a couple of strips of plastic to the clamps to give a greater surface area and some foam adhesive as a non-slip.

Works great now.

Benedict

Entwined on Vita is a blissfull piece of shit.
Controls are awful in this demo/game and makes it frustrating/painful to play, removing the supposedly relaxing and ambient atmosphere the game probably has on the PS4.
I Finished story mode and tried Challenge mode a couple of times.
Delete the game from your memory card and use the space for something better.
If you have the option, play it on PS4, because the Vita version is not worth your time.
I haven't played it on PS4 so I hope it's better there.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
N++ soon.

Those Atelier games really own their art style, at least on characters. Cool stuff. Don't have time for more RPGs though.

I wish autosave were simply the standard, with separate manual saves. Too many RPGs are piss easy 90% of the time so it's extremely easy to not bother saving then suddenly boss and boom, major lost progress. Was so glad to see Disgaea impliment auto-save in D2, I friggin never save in those games unless going into the item world in a high level item or something.

The Vita case that adds L2/R2 will be useless for all future games since the default remote play controls were moved to the front of the console. I can't really recommend getting one.

honestly if you didnt save its you own fault for being stupid.

SerTapTap

Speaking of games not on anyone's radar, I just heard of Submerged last week. Looks neat, zero combat exploration game. Hope to have a video or review out august 4th when it launches.

Controls are awful in this demo/game and makes it frustrating/painful to play, removing the supposedly relaxing and ambient atmosphere the game probably has on the PS4.
If you have the option, play it on PS4, because the Vita version is not worth your time.

Controls fine but is a bit hard lategame on PS4. I can certainly see how the smaller control sticks would be a problem, it's clearly designed with precise analog control in mind.

honestly if you didnt save its you own fault for being stupid.

When saving isn't relevant 95% of the time it kind of is bad design for it to suddenly matter out of nowhere. "save your game constantly" (without a quicksave button) was always pretty bad design, it's even worse to expect that when game overs/lost progress are usually not threats. Though Neptunia *usually* has a save point immediately before bosses--which only exaggerates how bad the design is when entering a town/map is instantly a boss fight with no save option, especially since the one? time they do this in rebirth 1 happens to coincide with one of the 3 or 4 most sudden difficulty spikes in the game.

I can't wait for this - it's sad that the game isn't getting more love because it looks awesome. The customisation options look pretty cool.

I'm surprised, but I guess it's not as easy to get excited if you don't fully understand how much work was put into the game and just passingly see it. Hopefully reviews will help it along, mine'll be out tomorrow around this time, early as it can be.

I see a lot of hype around the net for N++. I'm sure it will do fine.

No future discount + price increase in the future after (free?) content patch will also help and I can't imagine reviews being anything but glowing.

SerTapTap

Remote Play is some serious awesome stuff. Suddenly I want a bigger Vita.

It's pretty sweet, though my house is not built for wireless so I occasionally get lag spikes, but it's great to be able to play in bed without having to pump the video to a TV + controller and so on. Especially with wifi power safe off (WHY IS THIS AN OPTION) and 60 FPS enabled on PS4.

I see a lot of hype around the net for N++. I'm sure it will do fine.

No future discount + price increase in the future after (free?) content patch will also help and I can't imagine reviews being anything but glowing.

What's this about a content patch? Hadn't heard of that--but yeah I really like announcing "no price cuts any time soon, so launch is as cheap as it'll be" thing, Axiom Verge did that too. Lets you buy in confidence, like (most) Nintendo titles. I think Indie devs really need to consider making stuff like that known so people dont' fall into the "will it go on sale/bundle/PS+ soon" trap.

What's this about a content patch? Hadn't heard of that--but yeah I really like announcing "no price cuts any time soon, so launch is as cheap as it'll be" thing, Axiom Verge did that too. Lets you buy in confidence, like (most) Nintendo titles. I think Indie devs really need to consider making stuff like that known so people dont' fall into the "will it go on sale/bundle/PS+ soon" trap.

Exactly. I actually like that approach if you're confident in your game and it's one of the reasons I bought Axiom Verge at launch. Same with Nintendo titles (actually it applies to pretty much every retail 3DS or Vita title these days, at least in Europe, so buying those at launch feels much better since you know it won't be half price after a few weeks)

The N++ thing is from the announcement blog post
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/07/14/n-launches-on-ps4-july-28th/

[Aside: This kind of discount will not be happening much, so if you’re looking to get N++ on the cheap, now’s your chance! Actually we’ll be raising the price when the first big update comes out (it will effectively double the size of the game). More info on that soon ;)]

There is no reason not to buy the game if you're even the slightest bit interested in it.

白衣性愛情依存症 or FLOWERS?

I'll probably buy both in the future, but not sure which to go after first.

SerTapTap

Exactly. I actually like that approach if you're confident in your game and it's one of the reasons I bought Axiom Verge at launch. Same with Nintendo titles (actually it applies to pretty much every retail 3DS or Vita title these days, at least in Europe, so buying those at launch feels much better since you know it won't be half price after a few weeks)

The N++ thing is from the announcement blog post
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/07/14/n-launches-on-ps4-july-28th/

There is no reason not to buy the game if you're even the slightest bit interested in it.

Thanks, good info for the OT (which I just posted)

To my fellow Canadian friends, I just noticed today that they finally added the pre orders for Trails of Cold Steel on our Amazon. No release date shipping though /:

Massa

It's not just the controls, the game was also made for a bigger screen. I switched to the PS4 for the last few chapters.

It's a pretty poor game though imo, wouldn't recommend any version.

Benedict

It's not just the controls, the game was also made for a bigger screen. I switched to the PS4 for the last few chapters.

It's a pretty poor game though imo, wouldn't recommend any version.

It also feels like it was made with a 3D screen in mind. I had great problems with seeing at what depth some objects were.

SerTapTap

PlayStation Minis still exist.
Runs on PlayStation TV through the download list despite not being on the PSTV Store. PSTV compatibility still being confusing.

PS Minis were so weird. Vector TD, one of precious few I want on my Vita, doesn't transfer. And compatability list straight up should not include minis/PSX/PSP. so annoyed at them for tainting a great idea with that absurd crap

PS Minis were so weird. Vector TD, one of precious few I want on my Vita, doesn't transfer. And compatability list straight up should not include minis/PSX/PSP. so annoyed at them for tainting a great idea with that absurd crap

Hmm Vector TD looks interesting.

I toyed with the idea of a Mini's top list but I think only Vita compatible ones would be of any relevance and that list is probably too small that it is worth the time. Also some of the best got native Vita versions like Velocity, Age of Zombies, Flying Hamster, Coconut Dodge.

SerTapTap

Hmm Vector TD looks interesting.

I toyed with the idea of a Mini's top list but I think only Vita compatible ones would be of any relevance and that list is probably too small that it is worth the time. Also some of the best got native Vita versions like Velocity, Age of Zombies, Flying Hamster, Coconut Dodge.

I think many PS minis work with Vita, but the best have been ported other than Where Is My Heart and Vector TD (fortunately Vector TD's flash games are still around and Where Is My Heart has a PC release). I forget if Where Is My Heart works on Vita.

Sony should really have some sort of initiative to get the best of PS Mini and PS Mobile ported to native Vita. Playing Velocity and Flying Hamster that way is soooo much better.

Saphirax

Seems like, starting tomorrow, there should be quite a few announcements for July. Looking forward to them and hopefully they don't disappoint :p.

kevin1025

Banned
Speaking of games not on anyone's radar, I just heard of Submerged last week. Looks neat, zero combat exploration game. Hope to have a video or review out august 4th when it launches.

I've very interested to see if Submerged turns out well, I hope it is a good time. We need more exploration games, and it seems like PS4 is becoming a very good place for them (though Sumberged also comes out on Xbox One too, which is cool too!).

SerTapTap

I've very interested to see if Submerged turns out well, I hope it is a good time. We need more exploration games, and it seems like PS4 is becoming a very good place for them (though Sumberged also comes out on Xbox One too, which is cool too!).

Oh certainly, one of the biggest reasons I'm thirsty for Rime (that and the gorgeous art style). One of the best parts of this gen is the apparent return of some of the weird, non-combat focused shit like that a la PS2.

autoduelist

When saving isn't relevant 95% of the time it kind of is bad design for it to suddenly matter out of nowhere.

i like no-save in my dungeon crawlers. I want to feel risk every time I go down a level, I want to feel risk when I know I'm a bit deeper than I should be. Saving all the time removes all risk.

Op Abyss tries to solve that with item based dungeon saves, but they are so easily available they might as well just let you save. [i don't use the power recorders, but that's self-inflicted]

I know it's frustrating if I get blindsided and wiped in SMT Nocturne and lose a few hours progress or whatever, but the alternative [constant forward progress w/o fear of failure] makes me feel like a trained monkey.

One thing Op Abyss does nice is that 100% escape is almost always an option. This means you can try a new level or red symbol fight and if turn 1 wipes half your party, you can easily escape, return gate, heal up, etc. That a relatively fair way to do it. That said, I think Op Abyss is way too easy overall, even with Haichi's workout. I'd prefer a +10 level workout pack i think. Some of the wanted variants are difficult for a bit, but even they become too easy quickly. Though still, overall, enough challenge to keep me interested even if i do wish it was more.

All that said, I definitely agree balance is broken in many jrpgs... games should not be 'piece of cake, piece of cake, piece of cake, dead'. It's fine for a boss / sub-boss to be tougher than the rest, and I'm okay with 'test yer skill' bosses early on, but in general if you're about to face a beast that can easily wipe you, you should have already felt challenge in the mobs nearby too so you're naturally clued in.

SerTapTap

I don't mind saving every dungeon if every dungeon is a hard won fight. That is almost never the case though. Honestly most of even the best JRPGs ever are pretty damn easy outside of specific boss fights. Final Fantasy has never been very hard outside of superbosses and choice boss fights (and those are more often difficulty spikes or bullshit than not--fuck you Seymore).

Though a combo of Advanced Sphere grid and deliberately rushing/not grinding made FFX HD a bit more challenging when I replayed on PS3

They all do!

Speaking of C;H, is it as good as S;G? I don't really know much about it.

It's different in tone, focusing more on paranoia and the nature of reality. It's all in the execution. Sadly, the anime adaptation was executed extremely poorly and rushed, so a lot of people have a bad opinion of it. As far as the visual novel goes, the general opinion seems divided from those who have read both C;H and S;G.

Saphirax

Not even close.

It's different in tone, focusing more on paranoia and the nature of reality. It's all in the execution. Sadly, the anime adaptation was executed extremely poorly and rushed, so a lot of people have a bad opinion of it. As far as the visual novel goes, the general opinion seems divided from those who have read both C;H and S;G.

I see, thanks :D. I'll still probably end up getting it.

SerTapTap

Their marketing budget is probably a box of crayons so that doesn't surprise me, releasing wednesday was a dumb idea though. Oh well, if I like it I guess I'll do an OT since I always seem to do them for the games no one else does 'em for.

I wonder, would they show up in "new this week" for this week or only last week? Probably last week.

SerTapTap

Started up Phantom Breaker BG Overdrive. First improvement noticed: O/X are American style finally! lol Lots of extra, not necessary but not bad visual effects added (DOF on background, more fancy particles), enemy count is higher (this is a plus IMO)

Agreed. Even most boss fights, really.

An idea I always loved but rarely see executed well, is when you fully heal after every battle and every encounter, even normal ones, is a fight to the death. Only SRPGs really do this well and it's not really the same since every battle is at a much larger scale.

Mega Man Battle Network could have done great stuff with this but doesn't fully capitalize on it and gave up after the first game

I generally don't care for difficulty in JRPGs since I'm usually overlevelled because of sidequests anyway. But optional bosses should be difficult and require some very specific setups and strategies to be satisfying. The best ones are the ones you can fight (and barely beat) mid-game and give you overpowered rewards :3

RK128

I found this post in the Re:Hollow Fragment thread and I thought it should be shared here :).

Patch today for the vita version to upload save data

605mb seems like a lot just to add that feature

Ryuukan noticed that the Vita version got a patch for the save-upload feature that Re:Hollow Fragment has....but as you see in the post, its 605mb's large.

Could this mean that the new translation, the Strea Episode, expanded character creation system and online MP was ported over to the Vita version?

I might re-download the Vita version again (despite how large it is) just to see if anything changed.

Shoyz

I see, thanks :D. I'll still probably end up getting it.

Get it! Those who play Steins;Gate first and go into Chaos;Head expecting more like it would end up disappointed in the same way I did the reverse and was disappointed (only somewhat). Where Steins;Gate shines with its style, storytelling and most of all its characters, Chaos;Head is amazing for its psychological horror, so go into it only for that aspect.

Been waiting many years to finally get to play Noah, beyond excited. Best way to play (IMO): All Red Delusions.

Hey guys is SAO Re: Hollow Fragment not coming to Vita or did I read the news wrong? Because I swear Bandai announced on twitter that Vita will also get the updated game.

Top Bottom