• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | May 2015

Tizoc

Well here's what I'd change in a hypothetical Ys 2 remake
1- Get rid of mandatory EXP grinding. Seriously I hated that I needed to reach a certain level before tackling the first dungeon, and I found myself needing to grind for EXP throughout much of the areas/dungeons in the game in order to proceed.

I like how OiF did it; as you progress and defeat enemies you level up and become stronger, so there's a good balance here. You only ever needed to grind if you wanted to beat a boss, and luckily most save points before the boss have a good bunch of enemies or areas where you can get a few levels rather quick.
However with OiF, being of a higher level just makes boss fights less harder, they can still waste your ass if you're not mindful of their patterns.

In Ys 2 you grind just so you can progress, but I never had this issue with OiF, Origin or Ys Seven.

2- MAPS. GIVE ME GODDAMN IN-GAME MAPS FOR THE DUNGEONS. I hated navigating the first dungeon and Solomon Shrine due to how confusing it was to memorize which path lead to which area. Game would've been more tolerable and would've ranked higher if it had this at least.

3- Maybe remove gold? I mean once you got the best equipment you didn't have much use for it and I hardly bought any healing items.

New EU PSN sale "Games under 10€"
some Vita "highlights"

Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable
Original price £24.99/€29.99/AU$44.95
Now £5.79/€6.99/AU$10.45

*redacted*
Original price £24.99/€29.99/AU$29.99
Now £7.99/€9.99/AU$9.99

New Little King’s Story
Original price £34.99/€39.99/AU$54.95
Now £7.99/€9.99/AU$14.95

Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen
Original price £11.99/€14.99/AU$22.95
Now £3.99/€4.99/AU$7.55

Valhalla Knights 3
Original price £12.99/€15.99/AU$15.99
Now £3.99/€4.99/AU$4.99

also tons of PS3 games.

EDIT: Not listed but Grim Fandango is 30% off for Plus users as well

Kudo

cNYFzeN.jpg

Joining the Oreshika 2 LE club, big thanks to Vitabro wilflare who's now been immortalized (
for 2 years at least
) in my game as Wilflora.

Game seems really good too so far, really love the artstyle! Is there any trophies related to the difficulty? I chose Fortunate at the beginning.

Ventara

Joining the Oreshika 2 LE club, big thanks to Vitabro wilflare who's now been immortalized (
for 2 years at least

Game seems really good too so far, really love the artstyle! Is there any trophies related to the difficulty? I chose Fortunate at the beginning.

No, there is not.

SerTapTap

Regarding this PT thing, apparently it has an expiry timer, is that common for free titles or what? I've never seen anything quite like this. Anyone know if it had one before? I never thought to check, I've only checked that field for PS+ titles and to confirm I had the "full" license rather than the PS+ one.

Hey VitaGAF, just wanted to say that the Chiaki figure is awesome and I love it very much. Highly recommended to all Danganronpa fans.

(PS. Sir TapTap: Have you managed to fix her?)

No I've been too pissed to mess with it, I'll fiddle with it later since I'm feeling better. Think I'm done buying the silly dioramas.

Regarding this PT thing, apparently it has an expiry timer, is that common for free titles or what? I've never seen anything quite like this. Anyone know if it had one before? I never thought to check, I've only checked that field for PS+ titles and to confirm I had the "full" license rather than the PS+ one.

That's only on German accounts and the expiry date is the date your Plus sub ends. Plus was required in Germany for PT since it's 18+. Children obviously don't have PS+ so then it's okay.

SerTapTap

That's only on German accounts and the expiry date is the date your Plus sub ends. Plus was required in Germany for PT since it's 18+. Children obviously don't have PS+ so then it's okay.

Oh, super weird. Germany has to have some of the most silly censorship/violence laws, if something weird happens regarding violence in a game it's usually Germany or Australia that's involved.

wilflare

for 2 years at least

glad everything arrived well :D
and I kinda like wilfora's hair - maybe I should really get down to playing the game soon
^^

what other games in the franchise are we missing on the Vita
...hoping we can get them all

I'm confused by the timeline - someone care to elaborate?

Only Ciel Nosurge, which is some kind of life simulation/dating sim (??) that we'll never get. Ar Nosurge apparently builds on its story heavily.

what other games in the franchise are we missing on the Vita
...hoping we can get them all

I'm confused by the timeline - someone care to elaborate?

Ciel nosurge > Ar nosurge.

We're never getting Ciel nosurge, but someone made a summary of the story(which took me like 2 weeks to read, it's fucking huge), so I recommend you to check that out if you're interested in Ar.

SerTapTap

I love the idea that orphaned digital software gains value because it suddenly becomes locked to a physical object

In reality it's really not that different from how old school cartridges work. In theory it was always simply a digital product pressed into physical form and with the proper equipment of code could be--but won't be--reproduced.

deadfolk

Is Valhalla Knights 3 for a fiver worth incurring the wrath of the wife in the week where I bought a Wii U?

Already probably going to get Shinobido.

Ciel nosurge > Ar nosurge.

We're never getting Ciel nosurge, but someone made a summary of the story(which took me like 2 weeks to read, it's fucking huge), so I recommend you to check that out if you're interested in Ar.
I followed you guys' advice and started reading blackraen's summary of the story. It's actually not as bad as I thought it would be, it comes with images and if you want you can watch the videos which are on the same page as the chapter you are on. The story so far seems to be pretty cool too, and again it isn't a wall of text like I thought it would be. Seems like a good read so far.

autoduelist

There are no high standards or low standards. There is you standard and the games you enjoy. When they don't align with what other people like, that doesn't mean other people have a worse taste than yours.

My two cents. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There is a distinct difference in quality between, say, Mark Twain and some scribbled together romance novel... or The Wire and some formulaic cop procedural. It's ok to admit that, I think. That said, who cares if someone that isn't me reads romance novels instead of, say, classic lit? No skin off my back.

Interesting... I've been eying Mind Zero but... I don't know, I'm not sure if its my cup of tea. Can you elaborate on this "change"?

He hates the game. He only played it for 45 minutes.
As another person who happily plat'd Mind Zero, I enjoyed it.

Its biggest crime is that the art style is fairly reminiscent of Persona, but in actuality the game is pretty much nothing like Persona. Lots of people/reviewers trashed it for that - they expected something different than they got and judged it for something it wasn't trying to be.

Its second biggest crime is that it has bland dungeon art, and generally feels bland in other areas too (lewt, etc).

However, what it does do well is building a unique combat system that stays interactive and interesting pretty much the entire game.

Ultimately, it should be a game sitting solidly in the middle, that nobody really talks about unless it's on sale or something. Unfortunately, Man God brings it up all the time to trash despite not even having given it a chance, and so a couple of us feel the need to set the record straight because it does get some things very right. I don't care about it looking like Persona (and in fact, dislike Persona games despite loving most SMT games), and I don't care about bland dungeon walls or overuse of color palate swapped enemies. I just want interesting and engaging combat mechanics, and MZ has that.

Is Valhalla Knights 3 for a fiver worth incurring the wrath of the wife in the week where I bought a Wii U?

Already probably going to get Shinobido.

I also need some info on Shinobido and Valhalla Knights 3. Every review seems to hate both games. Any redeeming qualities for 5€?

SerTapTap

Don't know if I'll actually play it any time this century but I bought the Operation Abyss limited edition. The artbook seems like a pretty good deal.

AirMecha Arena is free but I don't know if it is worth anybody's time. The tutorial is long and by the time you get to the gameplay you want that time back from your life. It is a RTS that was designed somewhat cleverly for consoles. But the gameplay is a lot of tedious work. The most annoying thing about is the WTF design decision to make you have to constantly go back to your base to recharge. Also being only able to carry a low amount of units is really tedious. Also you lack a lot of control on what your units are doing and sometimes they do lots of suicidal things. I wouldn't waste your time on it despite being free.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
AirMecha Arena is free but I don't know if it is worth anybody's time. The tutorial is long and by the time you get to the gameplay you want that time back from your life. It is a RTS that was designed somewhat cleverly for consoles. But the gameplay is a lot of tedious work. The most annoying thing about is the WTF design decision to make you have to constantly go back to your base to recharge. Also being only able to carry a low amount of units is really tedious. Also you lack a lot of control on what your units are doing and sometimes they do lots of suicidal things. I wouldn't waste your time on it despite being free.

You do know what the game was originally based off of right?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I also need some info on Shinobido and Valhalla Knights 3. Every review seems to hate both games. Any redeeming qualities for 5€?

Shinobido is a decent tenchu style game. Sometimes there are issues with the camera though.

Dont waste your money on Valhalla Knights 3.

autoduelist

Somebody here really likes Valhalla Knights 3. I don't remember who offhand, but they convinced me to get it on sale. I have only played the first hour or so, seems alright so far (budget-y graphics). Got sidetracked plat'ing NFS: MW and will now go back to it. For $5, I'd take a chance on it, personally. But go in knowing many didn't like it. Sounded very interesting to me, though.

Hey, quick question guys! I just finished Danganronpa1and I loved the game. I'm hearing that 2 isn't good due to some annoying mini games. Is it true or people just overreacting as usual? Like I want to jump straight into despair again but I wanted to hear the opinion of people that played it.

Also is the school mode in DR1 worth playing?

I think I'll skip both for now, thanks

You can get more than $5 worth of fun out of Shinobido. I really enjoyed it. Fun (albeit small) sandbox-y maps and a variety of mission objectives that you can tackle in different ways. Gets repetitive after a few hours but I had a lot of fun with it.

Hey, quick question guys! I just finished Danganronpa1and I loved the game. I'm hearing that 2 isn't good due to some annoying mini games. Is it true or people just overreacting as usual? Like I want to jump straight into despair again but I wanted to hear the opinion of people that played it.

Most people I talk to say DanganRonpa 2 is a much better game because minigames (and pretty much everything else about the title) is improved, so I'm not sure where you've heard that.

Go and play it right away. I enjoyed it less than 1 but it's still an absolutely stellar game.

If you played DR1 and liked it you will like DR2. To be frank I play the games more for their story than its gameplay, so DR2's new minigames didn't bother me too much. You get yourself a despair inducing tale worth of the Danganronpa name, I'll tell you that. As for the school mode, it depends on how much you cared about the cast of characters. If you wanna know more about them, delve in. If not, just move on.

Vylash

they're overreacting, the minigames in 2 are fine

SerTapTap

Improved Hangman's Gambit is straight up incredibly awful but no, no required minigame is bad enough to make the game worse than the first. The platinum trophy is even worse than before but if you're playing it for story I'm sure you'd like it if you loved the first. And you can derp your way through the improved hangman's gambit without too much trouble, it's just a complete waste of a few minutes each trial. The game's forgiving enough it doesn't matter if you mess up a bunch on it.

RK128

Remember when we learned that The Misadventures of Tron Bone got rated by the RSRB for PlayStation Platforms early this week?

Well.....NOW ITS ON PSN FOR NA XD!

Here is the link for anyone wanting to pick up this hidden classic :). Gotta get this in a few weeks when I get the funds (....put to much into the last few sales XD).

MrS

Banned
Anybody played Cosmophony yet? If so, how is it? Enjoyable and worth the money or shit and a waste of bandwidth?

Remember when we learned that The Misadventures of Tron Bone got rated by the RSRB for PlayStation Platforms early this week?

Here is the link for anyone wanting to pick up this hidden classic :). Gotta get this in a few weeks when I get the funds (....put to much into the last few sales XD).

beep beep

I know what I'm playing this week

The minigames aren't a deal breaker, only one of them is that bad ("Improved" Hangman's Gambit). If you liked 1, you'l definitely like 2.

School mode in 1 is worth it, as it actually expands the characters and lets you learn a bit more about them. Skip it in 2, it's a total waste of time unless you're going for the plat.

Here is the link for anyone wanting to pick up this hidden classic :)

Bought.

SerTapTap

TRON BONNE

The minigames aren't a deal breaker, only one of them is that bad ("Improved" Hangman's Gambit). If you liked 1, you'l definitely like 2.

School mode in 1 is worth it, as it actually expands the characters and lets you learn a bit more about them. Skip it in 2, it's a total waste of time unless you're going for the plat.

Play school mode in both games only until you get all the relationship events for everyone (if you care, which IMO you should). Beyond that yeah it's just padding for trophies, the "trip ticket" stuff is what's particularly awful. One playthrough or so of school mode + all the "dating" stuff isn't too bad and has proper rewards.

Play school mode in both games only until you get all the relationship events for everyone (if you care, which IMO you should). Beyond that yeah it's just padding for trophies, the "trip ticket" stuff is what's particularly awful. One playthrough or so of school mode + all the "dating" stuff isn't too bad and has proper rewards.

Oh, I'm talking about trip tickets in 1. Definitely use school mode to fill out the report cards, but the trip tickets do add a bit to the characters in the first game for people who care. In the second almost no effort was put into school mode.

Shizuka

I'm surprised no one has accused me of being a NISA spokesperson after making topics for every single limited edition they've made for these past few months.

I'm pretty disappointed with the whole Ar Nosurge situation. I might just keep and play my PS3 copy and get the game digitally on sale later. It's like the one KT game I'd like to have a physical copy of and they do their best to make it impossible to get one for a reasonable price.

SerTapTap

It's extra weird since NISA sold out of Firefly Diary physical copies pre-launch after initially not even committing to one. Though is NISA only doing the LE and someone else is localizing maybe? I think that happened to one of the IFI games right?

bobohoro

I'm pretty disappointed with the whole Ar Nosurge situation. I might just keep and play my PS3 copy and get the game digitally on sale later. It's like the one KT game I'd like to have a physical copy of and they do their best to make it impossible to get one for a reasonable price.

I'm actually kinda glad it won't show up in the european NIS store, as it would probably sell for ~100€ again and just piss me off.

Oh and DR1 > DR2 in everything but music.

I'm actually kinda glad it won't show up in the european NIS store, as it would probably sell for ~100€ again and just piss me off.
Yeah I never really looked at the NISA EU store but it's ridiculous. They also still have 75% of the OP Abyss LE's. I wonder why when it would cost 90€ to get one.

Top Bottom