• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | May 2015

antibolo

Banned
I'm not a left-handed, I don't know what to say. I have friends that are left-handed and they haven't told me about any issues, but I don't know how bad it is for you.

EO is a degraded experience when you are left-handed. When playing your only two sub-optimal options are:
1) Using the stylus with the right hand, which is unpleasant (try playing a game with the stylus in your left hand to see how it feels)
2) Switching between the stylus and d-pad, which makes it impossible to move while drawing

Your friends must have high tolerance for bad user input interfaces. For me this is just unacceptable.

Producer

EO is a degraded experience when you are left-handed. When playing your only two sub-optimal options are:
1) Using the stylus with the right hand, which is unpleasant (try playing a game with the stylus in your left hand to see how it feels)
2) Switching between the stylus and d-pad, which makes it impossible to move while drawing

Your friends must have high tolerance for bad user input interfaces. For me this is just unacceptable.

I'm left handed and just adapted to using the stylus on my right hand. I've pretty much done this with everything in life lol like guitars, mouses, etc.

antibolo

Banned
I'm left handed and just adapted to using the stylus on my right hand. I've pretty much done this with everything in life lol like guitars, mouses, etc.

I've used a mouse/trackpad with my right hand all my life but I absolutely refuse to use any pen-like interface with my right hand. My writing hand is my left hand, period. I shouldn't have to cater to a society that pretends that left-handed people don't exist.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm left handed as well and have mapped every single inch of every EO game. It's not a big deal at all. I map with my left hand by the way. You need to stop to make your map right anyways.

Producer

I've used a mouse/trackpad with my right hand all my life but I absolutely refuse to use any pen-like interface with my right hand. I shouldn't have to cater to a society that pretends that left-handed people don't exist.

Unfortunately lefties are second class humans lol.
the good thing is that mapping in EO is pretty lenient, you dont have to be precise, you can draw a crooked line and it still registers lol

Shizuka

I'm glad Mauricio is around, we have another take on DRPGs that we don't have often around here and it's always nice to have more people. CrovaxPSO is another member I'd love to see here more often as well.

DRPGAF and PSNGAF, hand in hand.

Producer

Fingernail for quick lines. Stop and take out the stylus if detail work is needed, sometimes done when I'm getting ready for a fight.

Yeah i do this too. Thinking more about it i alternate between using both of my hands for mapping, i never gave it much thought before.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I play with both hands on the 3DS, stylus dangling between my index and middle finger for easy access. I have no fingernails, so.

Also I have only played Persona Q so.

If I've just cut my nails it usually means stylus in the teeth. And yes, I have successfully drawn lines without taking my hands off, but only a few times as a joke to someone giving me the business for having a stylus in your mouth.

The best way I find to draw the map though is to do it when you're taking a break right before or after a fight. Rough it out by what you see, go back and fix it as it makes more sense. Every floor has tons of nooks and crannies, one way and multiway secret passages so you should take your time to look around and hit A a few times anyways, though after awhile you'll get a sixth sense (i.e. find the obvious cues) for hidden passages. It really gets you into the pace of the game. Steady progress. The game rewards you in spades later on for having a well drawn map as most floors in EO 1-3 house late game/post game secret sections that greatly expand on them.

antibolo

Banned
Those are all really just workarounds. The issue of improper left-handedness support is still there.

What really pisses me off is that a left-handed option would be super easy to implement, Atlus could just have an option to assign movement to ABXY buttons. A World Ends With You did handedness-neutrality pretty well by mirroring D-pad functions to ABXY and it worked pretty well. But Atlus can't even be bothered to do that.

Anyway, if you left-handed bros still enjoy the games despite that, then great, more power to you. But personally I just go play something else, because I have little patience for that sort of shit.

EO are fantastic DRPGs. Can't speak for left handed people, but the mapping really isn't that cumbersome at all for me. All around great series.

incpdo

So guys what is much better in EO drpgs that demon gaze doesn't have? I'm playing probably mi first drpg ( demon gaze) I have tried several ,including the ds versions of EO and the eliminage on psp but I'm getting a little tired of them soon. Idk if demon gaze will change that but I decided that 16 dollars is not bad for giving another chance to the genre.

Producer

So guys what is much better in EO drpgs that demon gaze doesn't have? I'm playing probably mi first drpg ( demon gaze) I have tried several ,including the ds versions of EO and the eliminage on psp but I'm getting a little tired of them soon. Idk if demon gaze will change that but I decided that 16 dollars is not bad for giving another chance to the genre.

Better customization, more challenge, better exploration/dungeons, and personally i like the artwork and music better.

Though to be fair EO has had years to refine the formula and Demon Gaze is a new IP, i hope to see some good improvements in Demon Gaze 2

incpdo

Better customization, more challenge, better exploration/dungeons, and personally i like the artwork and music better.

Though to be fair EO has had years to refine the formula and Demon Gaze is a new IP, i hope to see some good improvements in Demon Gaze 2
I see but what about story wise?

The story of the EO games is minimalist, as your party are a bunch of nobodies going into a dungeon, but I still find the stories and overall narration of the games to be fantastic, the way the NPCs warm up and respect you as you get stronger and deeper into the labyrinth, the feeling from slowly discovering the labyrinth mysteries, the tons of events you get while going through the dungeons(some of my favorite EO moments are said events).

Everything from the music to the dungeon design gives you context of what happened in the past and the trials you will encounter, the atmosphere from the games is out of this world.

I think that's one of the reasons I like DRPGs so much, the feeling that you're not a chosen one or need a bunch of narration, usually you're exploring a fucked up dungeon that was screwed up a long time ago, you're late to save this place in any way or form, why would anyone be there waiting for you? It's just beasts and traps blocking your path from figuring out the mystery from the dungeon.

Sometimes the ending is not that rewarding, but you made it, you defeated the impossible odds, you are the best, and that feeling is something few other games give me.

If you want a game with cutscenes and heavy amounts of text, you will not find that in the EO series, and that's one of the reasons I love the series so much. I give life to this characters and their stories, and they will stay with me forever.

tldr; the stories are great but they might not be what your searching for, I legit think that at least EO3 has an awesome as fuck story, can't wait for Untold 3 to revisit that world.

autoduelist

I feel like the only person on the forum who despises my 3DSXL, I guess I shouldn't have got it having no interest in Monster Hunter or an uglified version of Xenoblade

I got halfway through Fire Emblem before I gave up on it and sold my 3dsxl. I never got to EO. Between battery life and the general feel/look of it, I just couldn't do it.

I sometimes want to get another just to give EO a try... but it's not like i need more games.

Drawing the map is literally the best part, so if you don't like that you probably won't like EO. Or any dungeon crawler from the 80's or 90's.

I'm honestly surprised drpgs survived the move to automaps at all. I remember being extremely sad when 'automapping' became the norm. So much of the joy of exploration goes away -- teleport and spinner traps become meaningless. All exploration becomes pretty much meaningless, really... you're just clomping around filling in the automap, no fear of disorientation, no fear of losing track of the exit, no fear of... well, anything really. On the other hand, when you need to map it yourself all those traps put the fear in you... one false step and suddenly you're deep in a dungeon, low on health and potions, and desperately trying to find a hallway that matches something on your scrap of map so you can get out.

That said, I don't know that I have enough time to map anymore. I guess I'll find out because I'm currently trying to replay all the oldschool drpgs from my childhood.

I've used a mouse/trackpad with my right hand all my life but I absolutely refuse to use any pen-like interface with my right hand. My writing hand is my left hand, period. I shouldn't have to cater to a society that pretends that left-handed people don't exist.

Hmm. I'm lefty and sort of the same way -- I can do plenty of things righty but pens are not one of them.

I like drawing maps. Brings me back to drawing maps in D&D in like 1985

I truly miss drawing maps. I got to do that again in Grimrock when that came out, but before that it was decades ago - bard's tales and ultimas and the rest.

DRPGs don't need no stinkin' story. They need combat and leveling and exploration. Everything else can be in my imagination.

I think that's one of the reasons I like DRPGs so much, the feeling that you're not a chosen one or need a bunch of narration, usually you're exploring a fucked up dungeon that was screwed up a long time ago

Pretty much this. Starting out where almost anything can kill you, discovering new monsters that can stone or wither or poison or otherwise disable you.... slowly growing more powerful until you can hold your own and begin to dominate the dungeon. Exploring, solving riddles, unfolding the labyrinth....

I find it hard for games to do that anymore... between automapping ruining exploration, and internet guides (i try to avoid) that reduce character creation to min/maxing, to oversupply of prevention potions, etc... a lot of the challenge is just gone.

Guys, I'm buying a 16gb card for my Vita while saving for a bigger card. So I'm going to have a 8gb and a 16gb card, and I'm planning to use them both, so, is there any issues with swaping cards ?

Bowl0l

Guys, I'm buying a 16gb card for my Vita while saving for a bigger card. So I'm going to have a 8gb and a 16gb card, and I'm planning to use them both, so, is there any issues with swaping cards ?
Just hold onto the 8GB card and wait til you get the biggest card you can afford. once you use a 64GB, you will never use smaller size cards.

I have a 16gb one, it's nice but I wish I had a 64gb... so hear what the others say and get a 64gb one!

I'm glad Mauricio is around, we have another take on DRPGs that we don't have often around here and it's always nice to have more people. CrovaxPSO is another member I'd love to see here more often as well.

I somehow missed this post earlier, thank you and I think I should say that you're super cool in my book, Shizu. <3

I lurk this thread so much but I didn't start posting till recently, I'll try to be more active.

Shun

If that's not an option, know that your organized bubbles will become an unorganized mess each time you swap.

I couldn't help but read that as Dr P GAF. Well, with Steins;Gate coming out, we might have that hand in hand with PSNGAF soon, too!

Only half kidding

kng3025

I got a question I'm hoping one of you vitabros could answer for me. I'm planning on getting a 64gig memory card for my vita,but remember hearing some time ago that some of the cards stopped working or something of that sort. Not sure if it was a bad batch,but I was wondering if it's safe to pull the trigger on one. Anyone buy a card recently or have any issues? Thanks in advance for the help.

Tizoc

I got dat 3DS Kirby game that's on sale. Game is so cute and charming. Closest thing to it on the Vita is Bomberman '94, which everyone should get before Konami decides to remove their entire game catalog without telling anyone.

Bowl0l

I got dat 3DS Kirby game that's on sale. Game is so cute and charming. Closest thing to it on the Vita is Bomberman '94, which everyone should get before Konami decides to remove their entire game catalog without telling anyone.
Not that i have anything against Bomberman but i thought you can play it using an emulator?

Sondar

So my credit card just got charged for this.

P4D-Dated-JP_Box_003.png

Just hold onto the 8GB card and wait til you get the biggest card you can afford. once you use a 64GB, you will never use smaller size cards.

I have a 16gb one, it's nice but I wish I had a 64gb... so hear what the others say and get a 64gb one!

I'm saving for a 64gb, but it's gonna take me a while. Here it's even hard to find 16gb cards, so the 64gb are way too expensive, even importing one. I've been with the 8gb a long time, but after two weeks falling for deals, I really need a new one.

If that's not an option, know that your organized bubbles will become an unorganized mess each time you swap.

Unless you're careful and plan it out.
Tricky but doable.

I'll have to be careful then!

SerTapTap

Man, more games need humorous trophy descriptions. I love the trophies in Neptunia U. They're all written by Neptune and many are pretty funny.

I got halfway through Fire Emblem before I gave up on it and sold my 3dsxl. I never got to EO. Between battery life and the general feel/look of it, I just couldn't do it.

I sometimes want to get another just to give EO a try... but it's not like i need more games.

Oh right, EO mystery dungeon was tempting, I loved Chocobo's Dungeon 2 and mostly liked the Izuna games (though they get too hard by the end/postgame) but I keep thinking "I'll never actually play this will I". Still haven't finished Majora's Mask on 3DS and if I can't bring myself to play one of my favorite games of all time on the system...

Don't bother with 16 GB IMO, I do pretty fine with a 32GB (but I'm not afraid to use content manager and delete games off my Vita I'm not going to play again any time soon). If you don't have TONS of games or tend to buy physical a 32 might do you, otherwise I'd wait and just get a 64GB eventually. You won't want to swap to the tiny cards after you get anything bigger than 16GB anyway.

Shengar

DRPGaf is much more enthusiastic with their genre of choice. Hunting Action game on the other ridden with MH elitist everywhere.
I like drawing maps. Brings me back to drawing maps in D&D in like 1985

EO4 is my first time drawing map like that and I really like. It is a like a mini game on its own.

bobohoro

DRPGaf is much more enthusiastic with their genre of choice. Hunting Action game on the other ridden with MH elitist everywhere.

You think so? I only participated in the MH4 and Kiwami OTs, but both were pretty friendly and informative without looking down on beginners or other games all that much.

Finished Shovel Knight just now, took me 6 hours, 120 deaths and ended with a completion rate of 84%. I think the finale of the game actually is a bit weaker than the rest, with the boss rush and both end bosses not being all that fun. But the final campfire scene made up for that. Fill surely fire it up now and then for some levels and the upcoming DLC.

SerTapTap

You think so? I only participated in the MH4 and Kiwami OTs, but both were pretty friendly and informative without looking down on beginners or other games all that much.

OTs are almost always friendly and reasonable. Threads about announcements/news regarding other hunting games usually get a lot of elitism, especially if someone asks a question about which to play.

Ventara

EO is my favourite DRPG series, and I don't even particularly like DRPGs. BUT with EO, there's a clear sense of exploration and progression that I absolutely love. Oh, and drawing maps is the best! They should make a game just about that.

Yes... Just a few days ago a sealed one sold for $611.
Mine was half that because the outer plastic was removed, but everything inside was still sealed.

$300?!!!!

But congrats. If I had the money for it, I'd pull the trigger as well, and that thing is only gonna get rarer as more of them find permanent homes. How many copies of them were made? Is it rarer than the DJMax LE?

So my credit card just got charged for this.

VERY nice! I really like the yellow. If I ever plan to get a 2000, I'll look into trying to snag one of similar colour if I can.

SerTapTap

Tron Bonne is really cute, how important is "knowing" the servebots though? Seems like that could end up being a bit of a hassle. Also I got stuck in the first RPG section, couldn't find a key for the big Reaverbot door, annoying.

I have an OG 3DS, I like the way the screen looks more than the XL. I don't hate any console I own though. Well, mixed feelings about my original Wii.

I actually like the New 3DS XL less than the 3DS XL I think. I guess I'm just mad it doesn't really improve anything relevant for me.

Yes... Just a few days ago a sealed one sold for $611.
Mine was half that because the outer plastic was removed, but everything inside was still sealed.

Jeez, it's crazy they were so limited because of the pixel mascot straps. I actually like pixel art but still don't like the pixel art straps at all, I would greatly prefer the (hard to find from the US) normal mascot straps I've seen. Interesting to know they're so pricy but I'd never sell mine anyway

I love Nintendo and will play their games despite having to do it on their crap hardware.

I like Nintendo games but the 3DS library seems to mostly focus on stuff I don't like. Not in the mood for a billion chibi RPGs for one thing

But congrats. If I had the money for it, I'd pull the trigger as well, and that thing is only gonna get rarer as more of them find permanent homes. How many copies of them were made? Is it rarer than the DJMax LE?

I'm not 100% certain, but I thought it was like only 1000 because they only had that many of the stupid pixel art neptune strap. It's frankly a pretty bad LE IMO, the case is way too huge to use and while I love the 8 bit endings in Neptunia games the pixel characters aren't good mascots compared to a "normal" chibi IMO, they look way too generic out of context in their "8 bit" looks

Shizuka

DRPGAF used to be a little like that when I registered, since it was just a couple of people, but now that it's bigger, it's a lot more friendly and united.

bobohoro

OTs are almost always friendly and reasonable. Threads about announcements/news regarding other hunting games usually get a lot of elitism, especially if someone asks a question about which to play.

And even those seem more civilised than many other threads on the gaming side, is what I wanted to add but forgot. Not the highest indicator of standard I admit, but I try to stay positive. But maybe my perception is slightly skewed, since I only tend to gloss over threads I'm interested in outside of OTs and community threads. At least the one about which vita hunting game to play a couple of days ago seemed reasonable enough.

I agree that the DRPG-fans are even more unified, I just don't think it's all that bad here with the hunting genre.

SerTapTap

And even those seem more civilised than many other threads on the gaming side, is what I wanted to add but forgot. Not the highest indicator of standard I admit, but I try to stay positive. But maybe my perception is slightly skewed, since I only tend to gloss over threads I'm interested in outside of OTs and community threads. At least the one about which vita hunting game to play a couple of days ago seemed reasonable enough.

I agree that the DRPG-fans are even more unified, I just don't think it's all that bad here with the hunting genre.

I mean, those treads are safer than a DF analysis thread, but I still can't think of many other genres beyond MOBA and Fighting games where I actually expect any sort of negative attitudes from the people who play them. Usually it's people who DON'T like a genre who are snobby and annoying in threads, really.

deadfolk

Not PS related, but there was some discussion here earlier and I'm hyped so I need to share...

I just ordered Xenoblade 3DS for £20 from TGC, and they've already shipped it. Less than an hour.

I am officially excite.

Take that, backlog!

Not PS related, but there was some discussion here earlier and I'm hyped so I need to share...

I just ordered Xenoblade 3DS for £20 from TGC, and they've already shipped it. Less than an hour.

I am officially excite.

Take that, backlog!
Enjoy the ride. You will see what I mean when I (along with many others) say this is my favourite game of all time. A timeless classic. Interested in hearing your impressions, if it's okay with everyone here since this is after all a PSN thread lol.

bobohoro

I mean, those treads are safer than a DF analysis thread, but I still can't think of many other genres beyond MOBA and Fighting games where I actually expect any sort of negative attitudes from the people who play them. Usually it's people who DON'T like a genre who are snobby and annoying in threads, really.

Well JRPGs and character action games have their fair share of negativity as well from my experience. But I really didn't want to start a discussion or anything about this here, as I largely agree with you on the other points anyway, especially on that last part.

On another note: it's great that the Shovel Knight OST is on bandcamp, but I'm always conflicted when artists want me to name my own price for their work. I'll probably need the weekend to determine what the right/lowest price point is that still shows my appreciation.

I am officially excite.

Take that, backlog!

Nice, have fun! It's a beautiful game!

Enjoy the ride. You will see what I mean when I (along with many others) say this is my favourite game of all time. A timeless classic. Interested in hearing your impressions, if it's okay with everyone here since this is after all a PSN thread lol.

While I personally would be totally fine with discussing any and all topics in here, I think it would probably not be the appropiate place for a longer discussion about it. Maybe post in the OT and give us a link to it here.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
$300?!!!!

I think so.
There's supposed be 1000 of the NA DJMax LE. It really feels like there were less of Neptunia judging by how quickly they were sold and how few get resold.

Shengar

More civilized doesn't mean they can't free of elitist. Whoompthereitis made a thread yesterday where he asking for other hunting action game that available on the Vita, while stating that he got into the genre because he played MH4U. Look at what some people answer in that thread? Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. It is absurd to even recommend such title casually to other people, even more so if the said person already played MH4U that renders MHFU obsolete from any part possible. I don't play MHFU but I don't have to play it to taste how broken the game is since Capcom kind enough give us some relic leftover in the form of Yian Garuga in MH4U.

What pissed the me most is that myself know what the elitist said is true that MH being the finest game in the series. But it reached such state after 10 years of refinement, after 9 games of fix-tuning. Just because the series is already fine tuned its formula that it makes wear rose-tinted glasses and can't see the fault of its past game. And just because it's so excellent that it prevents from playing other attempt from different creator on the genre.

Well JRPGs and character action games have their fair share of negativity as well from my experience. But I really didn't want to start a discussion or anything about this here, as I largely agree with you on the other points anyway, especially on that last part.

On another note: it's great that the Shovel Knight OST is on bandcamp, but I'm always conflicted when artists want me to name my own price for their work. I'll probably need the weekend to determine what the right/lowest price point is that still shows my appreciation.
JRPG or RPG in general rarely reek of this kind of elitism. Maybe it because there isn't any game that excell in so many area that it become the genre definer. But again, even when talking about RPGs with excellent. those who've played Planescape: Torment rarely try to prevent newer player to play other game or dismiss them.

Top Bottom