• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | May 2015

Chuy

Wallet full, no games on sale that i want.
Will there be a Flash Sale today?
I would be inclined to say no.
Next weekend and weekend after that seem like better candidates for a flash sale to occur since they generally happen in the middle of the month

deadfolk

While I personally would be totally fine with discussing any and all topics in here, I think it would probably not be the appropiate place for a longer discussion about it. Maybe post in the OT and give us a link to it here.

Totally with you - there's plenty of other places to discuss this stuff at length.

But you guys are my favourites...

bobohoro

More civilized doesn't mean they can't free of elitist. Whoompthereitis made a thread yesterday where he asking for other hunting action game that available on the Vita, while stating that he got into the genre because he played MH4U. Look at what some people answer in that thread? Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. It is absurd to even recommend such title casually to other people, even more so if the said person already played MH4U that renders MHFU obsolete from any part possible. I don't play MHFU but I don't have to play it to taste how broken the game is since Capcom kind enough give us some relic leftover in the form of Yian Garuga in MH4U.

I actually thought of that thread when I wrote my post, since nearly all of the answers in there talked about the good things of Kiwami, SSD and GE. Sure you got 2 or 3 people that either didn't read the OP or really are that blinded by their favourite game, but that's a pretty small amount, at least compared to the annoying MH elitism that I saw in the past or in other places. You can see that the past 2 years changed the perception of the genre ever so slightly with more titles propping up and people spreading out and I believe this will continue on with GE2 and possible sequels to the others or even new IPs. But you can't win them all over.

And you might want to look into Freedom Unite. Sure, it's old and outdated by now, but some things like the farm, the different atmosphere and even the broken hitboxes/harder difficulty are worth the experience, especially for that small price. I played it after Tri and 3U, still had plenty hours of fun with it.

Although with all the content 4U provides and still delivers on a monthly basis it might be pretty though to find time for that.

JRPG or RPG in general rarely reek of this kind of elitism. Maybe it because there isn't any game that excell in so many area that it become the genre definer. But again, even when talking about RPGs with excellent. those who've played Planescape: Torment rarely try to prevent newer player to play other game or dismiss them.

Well, Final Fantasy threads feel really similar, as does the kinda broken relationship between mainline SMT and Persona, or Persona 2 vs. 3&4. It's probably less the whole genre and more a smaller subset, but it's there. Don't really know about WRPG, although I do enjoy the bashing of AAA titles like Dragon Age that is delivered by the more enthusiastic fans, but I'm just a spectator there.

It might not be the same, the dynamics are pretty different in most cases and changing with time, but you can find bits and pieces of that stuff nearly everywhere. The PES elitism of PS2 times, Guitar Hero players when Rockband came up and many more. I think it's pretty normal, especially for a younger/smaller genre, and won't ever go away, but my perception is that it's getting better at least.

But you guys are my favourites...

qmdDzwj.jpg

autoduelist

I got a question I'm hoping one of you vitabros could answer for me. I'm planning on getting a 64gig memory card for my vita,but remember hearing some time ago that some of the cards stopped working or something of that sort. Not sure if it was a bad batch,but I was wondering if it's safe to pull the trigger on one. Anyone buy a card recently or have any issues? Thanks in advance for the help.

Any manufactured gadget or widget has a failure rate, and you'll hear about said failures on the internet since you've got such a wide net of users. Unless it's clear it's a rampant problem, you basically have nothing to worry about. In this case, I doubt you have anything to worry about.

EO is my favourite DRPG series, and I don't even particularly like DRPGs. BUT with EO, there's a clear sense of exploration and progression that I absolutely love. Oh, and drawing maps is the best! They should make a game just about that.

All classic DRPGs were primarily about map making (while becoming powerful). You needed to survive long enough to map a few tunnels, and then make your way out to heal up (and hopefully level up), before heading back in and hopefully making it a bit further, getting a few more rooms on your grid paper [and making sure to test every wall for a secret panel which might lead to a mythril sword or whatever].

Automap removed a lot of the joy of this, which (imo) gave the genre a massive identity crisis and is part of what caused it to fall from favor for decades. Without some of the challenges inherent in mapmaking (solving puzzles, traps, etc), it becomes a very rote process of 'step everywhere to fill in the grid'. It's far harder to give the player a real challenge - crosswords wouldn't be fun if they filled themselves in, either. Add in other stuff like easy save states, and there's no sense of risk or loss either.

If you are open to playing older games, you can give yourself an amazing backlog of great pc drpgs for dirt cheap on GOG.

Shengar

I actually thought of that thread when I wrote my post, since nearly all of the answers in there talked about the good things of Kiwami, SSD and GE. Sure you got 2 or 3 people that either didn't read the OP or really are that blinded by their favourite game, but that's a pretty small amount, at least compared to the annoying MH elitism that I saw in the past or in other places. You can see that the past 2 years changed the perception of the genre ever so slightly with more titles propping up and people spreading out and I believe this will continue on with GE2 and possible sequels to the others or even new IPs. But you can't win them all over.
When you compared it to other forum board, of course it's much much better. And yeah it used to be worse in the past. It's either people become more accepting, or more people playing the genre, or less elitist become active in forum. It irks me personally because it's the same user over and over again.

Don't really know about WRPG, although I do enjoy the bashing of AAA titles like Dragon Age that is delivered by the more enthusiastic fans, but I'm just a spectator there.
Can't say that I don't enjoy that as well :p

It might not be the same, the dynamics are pretty different in most cases and changing with time, but you can find bits and pieces of that stuff nearly everywhere. The PES elitism of PS2 times, Guitar Hero players when Rockband came up and many more. I think it's pretty normal, especially for a younger/smaller genre, and won't ever go away, but my perception is that it's getting better at least.

Yeah, I see the similar thing with racing genre as well. Though as far as I observed it's mostly cause by general ignorance rather than elitism (can't differentiate between corridor and open world racer for instance).

SerTapTap

On another note: it's great that the Shovel Knight OST is on bandcamp, but I'm always conflicted when artists want me to name my own price for their work. I'll probably need the weekend to determine what the right/lowest price point is that still shows my appreciation.

I always do $10, standard price of a CD, right? ...I haven't bought a non-game CD in many years but $10 is what I usually go for and non-choose-your-price is usually $10 already.

Sondar

VERY nice! I really like the yellow. If I ever plan to get a 2000, I'll look into trying to snag one of similar colour if I can.

I was a bit shocked seeing as Persona 4 Dancing All Night Vita isn't due out until late June & Nin-Nin Game took the money today. :/

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Better customization, more challenge, better exploration/dungeons, and personally i like the artwork and music better.

Though to be fair EO has had years to refine the formula and Demon Gaze is a new IP, i hope to see some good improvements in Demon Gaze 2

Demon Gaze 2 would be better off if it used the system in Stranger of Sword City which allows for much more customized characters, though done through lots of leveling. Gives a far more unique experience with your characters than the standardized classes along side of just sticking in artifacts to add additional skills. Though I think the title might continue to try and keep a strong focus on the characters and story, as it seems thats what a lot of people liked.

That system of character advancement in SoSC was by far the most unique thing they have done for player character growth and customization. As their other titles still follow the same general design principals. They like to use the whole specified locations for combat with enemies such as the summoning circles, trap points, ambush points in their other titles. Would be another mechanic that they have been working on constantly. By far the most user friendly one would be the demon gaze system just because the the player controls what type of item you may get from the start. The other 2 systems is RNG.

Am working on finishing the Exp Inc community thread, which is the stopgap till the full JDRPG one is done as am waiting for a resource for it. But works out better as more titles being released in the west means more things for people who do not import to discuss. Granted the Exp Inc one will just be 2 main titles for those in the West, there still are a handful of folks who import and play their games.

I got a question I'm hoping one of you vitabros could answer for me. I'm planning on getting a 64gig memory card for my vita,but remember hearing some time ago that some of the cards stopped working or something of that sort. Not sure if it was a bad batch,but I was wondering if it's safe to pull the trigger on one. Anyone buy a card recently or have any issues? Thanks in advance for the help.

Must've just been a bad batch, as I haven't heard of any recently like that.

Am working on finishing the Exp Inc community thread, which is the stopgap till the full JDRPG one is done as am waiting for a resource for it. But works out better as more titles being released in the west means more things for people who do not import to discuss. Granted the Exp Inc one will just be 2 main titles for those in the West, there still are a handful of folks who import and play their games.

I need that JDRPG thread, even if I wonder how many members will actually be active, kinda sucks that the DRPG(that's not EO) I'm the most hyped about got banned from GAF...

The other one I really want is Stranger of Sword City, dat everything.

Parakeetman

I need that JDRPG thread, even if I wonder how many members will actually be active... kinda sucks that the DRPG(that's not EO) I'm the most hyped about got banned from GAF...

The other one I really want is Stranger of Sword City, dat everything.

Yeah its unfortunate we have banned titles since that takes 3 things off the list.

At least though there is a good selection of stuff which is growing at the moment.

Currently waiting for the artist over here to finish with their busy schedule to do up the main title artwork for the thread.

Im curious if NISA is going to announce anything else at the E3, seeing how the Op Abyss preorders are almost fully accounted for.

Id imagine that NISA would be releasing SoSC with the OST seeing how it exists in Japan too as both the PC and X360 versions got it. With how NISA is good about getting extras when possible Id see them paying out extra for it. And the music most def is worth it. Considering they did the same for Op Abyss.

What we should have is a JRPG thread. I still don't think there is one on GAF, even though we speak about JRPGs on many different threads. Within that one, you could have DRPGs, SRPGs, everything. It wouldn't be as focused, but there would be a larger base of members

Producer

Demon Gaze 2 would be better off if it used the system in Stranger of Sword City which allows for much more customized characters, though done through lots of leveling. Gives a far more unique experience with your characters than the standardized classes along side of just sticking in artifacts to add additional skills. Though I think the title might continue to try and keep a strong focus on the characters and story, as it seems thats what a lot of people liked.

That system of character advancement in SoSC was by far the most unique thing they have done for player character growth and customization. As their other titles still follow the same general design principals. They like to use the whole specified locations for combat with enemies such as the summoning circles, trap points, ambush points in their other titles. Would be another mechanic that they have been working on constantly. By far the most user friendly one would be the demon gaze system just because the the player controls what type of item you may get from the start. The other 2 systems is RNG.

Yeah, with how successful DG has been worldwide, i dont see them messing with the formula too much. Everything about SoSC sounds good though, looking forward to trying it out.

kng3025

Any manufactured gadget or widget has a failure rate, and you'll hear about said failures on the internet since you've got such a wide net of users. Unless it's clear it's a rampant problem, you basically have nothing to worry about. In this case, I doubt you have anything to worry about.

Must've just been a bad batch, as I haven't heard of any recently like that.

Thanks for the responses guys. My mind is at ease now, so I'll pull the trigger.

Parakeetman

But that isn't a Community thread, that is just the gaming "what are you playing now" thread. People don't go in there to talk about the games themselves, they just go there to tell everyone what they are playing. I post there too, but unline this and other community threads, I don't follow it much, if at all after I post.

Thing is its not focused enough as the spectrum is too wide. Would be the same as what are you playing thread.

I mean look at this PSN thread for example, PSN has a huge selection of titles to choose from yet the general userbase is not really growing and most of the conversations are about the Vita.

Sides community threads get shoved off into the "graveyard" anyways, so its mostly the core group that sticks around anyways and not really new folks go wandering in from the main section of gaming unless directed from other threads.

Its better to stick to a genre or series, rather than trying to do a blanket all megathread covering everything. As the conversations will become a mess and people lose interest due to having to sift through a bunch of other posts that are not related to the topic they want to discuss. Its why on GAF with the gaming stuff there are generally more focused threads to a specific sub genre or series.

SerTapTap

But that isn't a Community thread, that is just the gaming "what are you playing now" thread. People don't go in there to talk about the games themselves, they just go there to tell everyone what they are playing. I post there too, but unline this and other community threads, I don't follow it much, if at all after I post.

Yeah I liked those threads in theory but there's no real discussion or anything so I just leave 'em alone now. Everyone just blurts out what they got/are playing and leaves.

Parakeetman

Yeah I liked those threads in theory but there's no real discussion or anything so I just leave 'em alone now. Everyone just blurts out what they got/are playing and leaves.

Exactly.

Which is unfortunate but expected. Other than that at least some serve as a gateway to show folks what other titles are available in a particular genre or series.

Kudo

Really enjoying Oreshika, the art in this game is just mind blowing and the character design of all the gods, wow.

Probably a stupid question but does Muramasa Genroku Legends work as stand-alone?
Or if you buy the game do I have to beat it with Momohime & Kisuke before I can access them, already finished it on Wii but I'd really like to play the new character stories.
If it needs the retail game to work - what size is the complete collection?

CrovaxPSO

Id imagine that NISA would be releasing SoSC with the OST seeing how it exists in Japan too as both the PC and X360 versions got it. With how NISA is good about getting extras when possible Id see them paying out extra for it. And the music most def is worth it. Considering they did the same for Op Abyss.

You just reminded me I need to get my hands on the SoSC soundtrack. I wonder if the bundle with the Students of the Round OST is still available...

Parakeetman

Really enjoying Oreshika, the art in this game is just mind blowing and the character design of all the gods, wow.

Probably a stupid question but does Muramasa Genroku Legends work as stand-alone?
Or if you buy the game do I have to beat it with Momohime & Kisuke before I can access them, already finished it on Wii but I'd really like to play the new character stories.
If it needs the retail game to work - what size is the complete collection?

It seems that you need the actual game also to run the DLC.

450 MB for the game
82 / 84 / 69 / 75 MB general numbers for the DLC

Parakeetman

You just reminded me I need to get my hands on the SoSC soundtrack. I wonder if the bundle with the Students of the Round OST is still available...

Both are marketplace numbers but for the dual OST versions.

PC around 9980 JPY
X360 7480 JPY

Parakeetman

I remembered the shop that had just the soundtracks: https://ebten.jp/p/4541993022984/

Says the Students of the Round OST was an early purchase bonus, but it's still listed as included. Even if it doesn't come with it anymore, I still want the SoSC soundtrack.

ah lol you meant the actual OST. sorry about that. its most def worth getting. which reminds me i wonder where mine went as its not here on the desk...

Im sad that exp inc never reprinted these.

http://www2.enekoshop.jp/shop/exp/item_detail?category_id=20429&item_id=687439

contained all of the generation xth OST and 360 versions of SoR + LCB OST.

Auctopus

Could someone explain to me how downloading games works once you've reached the minimum requirement to play the game?

I just bought Alien: Isolation from the EU sale and it only needed 4gb to start, so I started when it got to that point but the game is stopping me from progressing quite early on. For anyone who's played the game, it's the point where I have to pick up my documents in the bridge.

I've left the game at the menu, highlighting Survivor mode where it tells me the percentage of the game that's downloaded but is there a simpler way to tell my PS4 to download the rest of the game etc. without playing it/having the application open?

Thanks

Kudo

Could someone explain to me how downloading games works once you've reached the minimum requirement to play the game?

I just bought Alien: Isolation from the EU sale and it only needed 4gb to start, so I started when it got to that point but the game is stopping me from progressing quite early on. For anyone who's played the game, it's the point where I have to pick up my documents in the bridge.

I've left the game at the menu, highlighting Survivor mode where it tells me the percentage of the game that's downloaded but is there a simpler way to tell my PS4 to download the rest of the game etc. without playing it/having the application open?

Thanks

As far as I know it should be downloading the game even if you're not in the application.
I tried this with Toukiden demo and it downloaded itself on the background while I was playing other games even when it wasn't listed on the "Downloads" list, can you see the size of the game increasing in the "Information" screen in the PS4 menu? Or does it just show the complete size there?

SerTapTap

It should just be downloading it as "game data" or soemthing in your downloads list and passively downloads whether or not you're playing. Unsure if you'll eventually gain access to content bit by bit or if you just have to wait until the whole thing's done. I've only done it with *w* Quintet which is pretty slow paced so it downloaded before I hit any walls.

Auctopus

As far as I know it should be downloading the game even if you're not in the application.
I tried this with Toukiden demo and it downloaded itself on the background while I was playing other games even when it wasn't listed on the "Downloads" list, can you see the size of the game increasing in the "Information" screen in the PS4 menu? Or does it just show the complete size there?

It should just be downloading it as "game data" or soemthing in your downloads list and passively downloads whether or not you're playing. Unsure if you'll eventually gain access to content bit by bit or if you just have to wait until the whole thing's done. I've only done it with *w* Quintet which is pretty slow paced so it downloaded before I hit any walls.

Ah, the information screen! Yes, it's slowly downloading there (incredibly slowly for some reason).

Thanks for the help.

Does remote play just ignore your PS4's button remapping? I swapped R1 and R2 so I could actually play Dragon Age comfortably and it didn't work.

Holding down the back touchpad throughout fights is pretty annoying. Would have been nice if Bioware put any effort into the remote play control scheme at all. It's just the bog standard default one with four buttons on the back touchpad.

Does remote play just ignore your PS4's button remapping? I swapped R1 and R2 so I could actually play Dragon Age comfortably and it didn't work.

Holding down the back touchpad throughout fights is pretty annoying. Would have been nice if Bioware put any effort into the remote play control scheme at all. It's just the bog standard default one with four buttons on the back touchpad.

IIRC you need to swap the buttons on the console you're playing on (so Vita).

SerTapTap

You'll probably have to set custom buttons on the Vita for that I guess. Good news is the 4 rear touch buttons default was changed to 4 FRONT touch buttons default but only for new games. It's a bit better overall IMO, but yeah devs should really just actually give a shit and put the tiniest amount of effort into remote play defaults. Driveclub works like a dream button-wise, too few multiplats put work into it though.

Ah, the information screen! Yes, it's slowly downloading there (incredibly slowly for some reason).

Thanks for the help.

PSN speed is highly variable, took me over half an hour to download Neptunia U (it's a bit over 1 gig, fairly small)

Parakeetman

Some media create info for Babel and other Exp Inc Vita titles

Generation Xth series related
[PSV] Tokyo New World Record: Operation Abyss (5pb., 07/24/14) – 15,242
[PSV] Tokyo Legacy: Operation Babel (5pb.) {2015.04.30} - 8,104
[PSV] Labyrinth Cross Blood: Infinity - 9.006 / NEW
(Infinity Ultimate did not rank high enough to get a numerical statistic)

Other titles
[PSV] Demon Gaze (Kadokawa Games, 01/24/13) – 25,316
[PSV] The Stranger of Sword City: Black Palace (Experience, 01/22/15) – 11,559

Wonder what the digital sales are, since generally those seem to do well. Though Babel had an issue with an incorrect price.

Prelude.

Some media create info for Babel and other Exp Inc Vita titles

Generation Xth series related
[PSV] Tokyo New World Record: Operation Abyss (5pb., 07/24/14) – 15,242
[PSV] Tokyo Legacy: Operation Babel (5pb.) {2015.04.30} - 8,104
[PSV] Labyrinth Cross Blood: Infinity - 9.006 / NEW
(Infinity Ultimate did not rank high enough to get a numerical statistic)

Other titles
[PSV] Demon Gaze (Kadokawa Games, 01/24/13) – 25,316
[PSV] The Stranger of Sword City: Black Palace (Experience, 01/22/15) – 11,559

Wonder what the digital sales are, since generally those seem to do well. Though Babel had an issue with an incorrect price.
You'd think that after Demon Gaze they'd have a bigger fist week shipment but it doesn't really seems to be all that different. Maybe it's just a matter of publisher, Ray Gigant might have a bigger one, I guess.

Parakeetman

You'd think that after Demon Gaze they'd have a bigger fist week shipment but it doesn't really seems to be all that different. Maybe it's just a matter of publisher, Ray Gigant might have a bigger one, I guess.

Im not sure how Ray Gigant will do either, since lots of folks are still wondering how will it play and such. Its not like the other titles they have produced where folks have a general idea. With that being said I think there will be a lot of fence sitters to see what the early adopters have to say about the title, before going out and picking it up.

Thats what the general vibe seems to be over here anyways.

For Exp Inc titles thats pretty good numbers though. Seeing as how with Abyss and Stranger for example they were happy with the sales numbers. Which also included digital download ranking.

I wish we knew like total lifetime sales so far but for niche titles like these they drop off the charts pretty fast so harder to track. D:

Shizuka

Demon Gaze was a beast, no one was expecting it to do as good as it did.

Parakeetman

Demon Gaze was a beast, no one was expecting it to do as good as it did.

Wouldnt say its a beast, but for what it is the title did well for a new IP in the genre. Since 200,000 worldwide shipped kinda splits up the numbers if one was to have the breakdown by region.

Shizuka

Well, it's the only DPRG not called Etrian Odyssey to sell above 100k in Japan during this generation, bar Moe Chronicle.

Parakeetman

Did Moero really sell over 100k? The game is solid enough but that's kind of crazy, power of the kyun scratch I guess.

Considering regardless of the content, its rated pretty high also which most def must help drive sales forward outside of the art style too. I do remember for a while it was sold out in stores / online after launch.

Takao

Banned
They finally posted some Disney Infinity 2.0 info on the PlayStation Blog:
17200297027_f1c1d61d73_b.jpg

Featuring an all-new and exclusive Black Suit Spider-Man figure, the PS Vita Starter Pack also includes the Disney Infinity (2.0 Edition) video game, the Disney Infinity Wireless Base which connects via Bluetooth, a Marvel’s Spider-Man Play Set Piece, both Marvel Super Heroes Toy Box Game Discs, a Web Code Card and a USB Recharging Cable.

The Black Suit Spider-Man figure will be fully compatible with the console version of Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes (2.0 Edition), but it will be making an exclusive debut to the Disney Infinity universe through PS Vita.

Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes (2.0 Edition) for PS Vita will be available exclusively at GameStop for $59.99, starting on Saturday, May 9, 2015.

If you buy it in-store within May 9th through to the 16th in the US, you'll get a free Avengers playset.

According to this guy, Canada will get a release sometime this week for $10 on top of the US MSRP. There's been some listings in EU, so it shouldn't be NA-exclusive.

All of this is incredibly timely given 3.0 was announced this week, and Vita wasn't included ...

Shizuka

If you buy it in-store within May 9th through to the 16th in the US, you'll get a free Avengers playset.

According to this guy, Canada will get a release sometime this week for $10 on top of the US MSRP. There's been some listings in EU, so it shouldn't be NA-exclusive.

All of this is incredibly timely given 3.0 was announced this week, and Vita wasn't included ...

I'll try to support it if I can get it for a fair price and the platinum trophy is obtainable even with just those figures that come with the game.

Nudull

Banned

We better get 3.0, too. :c

RK128

It is great so see this finally land on Vita soon :D.....but I don't like the whole figures-coming-to-life concept; feels evil to me XD. To play the full game you buy plastic toys to play the 60$ you bought and to play as other character you have to by 12 dollar figures and then you want to collect them all and......it never ends XD.

Hope this leads to 3.0 landing on Vita too, as if they made 2.0 for Vita, then they would like to use the same engine/coding/ect for the Vita version of 3.0 too :). Either way, hope this is a success.

Surprised I never got into this series, as I am a huge Disney fan. Guess Epic Mickey soured me on Disney's gaming efforts :l.

ascii42

Also having the Avengers playset will push me over the edge. I'll try to pick this up tomorrow.

Top Bottom