• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | May 2015

RK128

Will the Vita game be an actual cart?

It should be a cart, as you have to play the game some how. I don't think they will give people a download code; this is aimed at kids/families, so I would imagine that it will have a cart to put into the Vita/PS TV.

Shizuka

It should be a cart, as you have to play the game some how. I don't think they will give people a download code; this is aimed at kids/families, so I would imagine that it will have a cart to put into the Vita/PS TV.

Minecraft is aimed at kids as well, yet it's a code in a box in North America. The point here is that this is not a Sony title, but a Disney/Activision one, meaning that there was little chance it'd be a code in a box.

RK128

Minecraft is aimed at kids as well, yet it's a code in a box in North America. The point here is that this is not a Sony title, but a Disney/Activision one, meaning that there was little chance it'd be a code in a box.

You make a good point with Minecraft. I remember both Disney (for the EU version of EM2 at least) and Activision (with ASM Vita) printing retail carts for their games, so this should follow what they did then.

Been playing MGR: Revengance a lot recently (got the game last weekend) and I am having a blast with the tittle so far. Enough to make a LTTP thread on it XD. Glad I finally got the game :).

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
My friend would swear by digital titles are the way to go when you have kids who play stuff on handhelds. Since with how tiny the carts are they are usually losing them somewhere lol.

ascii42

With Minecraft it kind of makes sense because it's a small download. I'd imagine Disney Infinity fills the cart.

antibolo

Banned

But Minecraft is a small game so it's not a problem. Disney Infinity is most likely bigger than one gig.

Shizuka

With Minecraft it kind of makes sense because it's a small download. I'd imagine Disney Infinity fills the cart.

But Minecraft is a small game so it's not a problem. Disney Infinity is most likely bigger than one gig.

I don't think the size matters much when Europe and Japan got physical prints of the Vita version while North America got a print of PS4 blu-rays with just Minecraft in it.

bobohoro

Finishing up my Ayesha+ playthrough and the CGs with adult Ayesha are pretty great. The one at the end of the Nio events really show that it has been three years, always like it when characters physically change over the course of a game.

Tohsaka

Well, it's the only DPRG not called Etrian Odyssey to sell above 100k in Japan during this generation, bar Moe Chronicle.

Didn't know it sold so well in Japan, that's crazy. I think it's a legitimately good game, though. Too bad a lot of people would be turned off by the aesthetics.

ecurbj

I will definitely purchase Disney Infinity 2.0 for the Vita if I can find it in Best Buy tomorrow.

*fingers crossed*

EDIT: Just realized it's a GameStop exclusive. I so wanted to use GCU on this at Best Buy :(

Parakeetman

Didn't know it sold so well in Japan, that's crazy. I think it's a legitimately good game, though. Too bad a lot of people would be turned off by the aesthetics.

Im still trying to find where the 100k numbers came from. Ive seen the team talk about 200,000 global but not 100,000 domestically. There was the 50,000 mark also domestically. Good number of sales were digital also apparently.

Shizuka

Im still trying to find where the 100k numbers came from. Ive seen the team talk about 200,000 global but not 100,000 domestically. There was the 50,000 mark also domestically. Good number of sales were digital also apparently.

The game was Japan-only up until a few months ago, when it got an asian japanese release and this month, when it got an asian english release. Or are you talking about Demon Gaze?

Parakeetman

The game was Japan-only up until a few months ago, when it got an asian japanese release and this month, when it got an asian english release. Or are you talking about Demon Gaze?

Demon Gaze. Since you mentioned 100k for Japan.

I have not seen any breakdown actually mentioned past the 50k sales where they said a good number of that was digital also.

Ok found one talking about 80K, so yeah the 100k looks like it would be legit am sure Ill find it eventually.

I wonder how much did the global edition sell overall.

Opening numbers were

[PSV] Demon Gaze: Global Edition (Kadokawa Games) {2014.07.03} - 2.463

Shizuka

Demon Gaze. Since you mentioned 100k for Japan.

I have not seen any breakdown actually mentioned past the 50k sales where they said a good number of that was digital also.

Ok found one talking about 80K, so yeah the 100k looks like it would be legit am sure Ill find it eventually.

I wonder how much did the global edition sell overall.

Opening numbers were

[PSV] Demon Gaze: Global Edition (Kadokawa Games) {2014.07.03} - 2.463

I've found the 80k one too. I stopped searching because it was a big topic and it was the last goal I found before the localization announcement.

Moero Chronicle is a DRPG? Is it good?

It is, it should be, we can't talk about it here.

Takao

Banned
Edited my Disney Infinity post. I was c/ping that thread from another source and didn't notice none of the links carried over.

Parakeetman

Moero Chronicle is a DRPG? Is it good?

Asides from the touch mechanics which some users found to be a pain in the ass if you want to go after trophies, they say for a DRPG its decent. Game was rated highly in Japan also by users. I dont really consider the magazines to be a good source with their ratings since both the largest mags are basically massive marketing platforms more than something to accurately portray information to end users.

As mentioned it is a banned title so no further conversations can be had unfortunately. If you use the keyword to search you may find older posts about it by folks who have the game.

I've found the 80k one too. I stopped searching because it was a big topic and it was the last goal I found before the localization announcement.

It is, it should be, we can't talk about it here.

Yeah thats the twitter post. I went through all the JP news sites and found that old post. I would have imagined they would have done an official 100,000 campaign if it hit that domestically in a time frame they considered reasonable since they had one for the 50,000 mark.

Yeah its unfortunate we have banned titles since that takes 3 things off the list.

At least though there is a good selection of stuff which is growing at the moment.

Currently waiting for the artist over here to finish with their busy schedule to do up the main title artwork for the thread.

Im curious if NISA is going to announce anything else at the E3, seeing how the Op Abyss preorders are almost fully accounted for.

Id imagine that NISA would be releasing SoSC with the OST seeing how it exists in Japan too as both the PC and X360 versions got it. With how NISA is good about getting extras when possible Id see them paying out extra for it. And the music most def is worth it. Considering they did the same for Op Abyss.

you answered super fast but I was at work, not sure what to add anyways. I sure hope NISA announces Stranger of Sword City soon!

I was searching for Stranger of Sword City videos and it directed me to your youtube channel, haha.

Parakeetman

you answered super fast but I was at work, not sure what to add anyways. I sure hope NISA announces Stranger of Sword City soon!

I was searching for Stranger of Sword City videos and it directed me to your youtube channel, haha.

Yeah Im like one of the few people that have vids up, I think Dorarnae might have recorded some stuff too. I think there are some JP vids too? Though those might have been more endgame stuff.

I did not make any Vita footage though I think so the stuff that is currently up is from the 360 version? Actually I dont remember if I did record vita stuff or not. D: Might have just not uploaded it?

Tohsaka

Stranger looks really good, but what about Cross Blood Infinity Ultimate? Are people just assuming NISA will skip it for Stranger, or? I remember reading about it before and thinking it looked interesting.

Yeah Im like one of the few people that have vids up, I think Dorarnae might have recorded some stuff too. I think there are some JP vids too? Though those might have been more endgame stuff.

I did not make any Vita footage though I think so the stuff that is currently up is from the 360 version? Actually I dont remember if I did record vita stuff or not. D: Might have just not uploaded it?

Why was there a 360 version but not a PS3 one? just find it a bit weird.

But yeah I don't see any Vita footage from the game on your channel.

Do you know who "Drpg 4ever" is? I like his channel. :p

Parakeetman

Stranger looks really good, but what about Cross Blood Infinity Ultimate? Are people just assuming NISA will skip it for Stranger, or? I remember reading about it before and thinking it looked interesting.

There is no reason to bring it out without the updated graphics would be to jarring to fans who are used to the "updated" artwork. They still would have to bring out Babel first, since the Cross Blood timeline takes place after Abyss and Babel.

So unless they do an updated version in Japan I dont really think NISA would consider picking it up due to that. But if Exp Inc does an updated Cross Blood just like Abyss / Babel then yeah I can see NISA getting it just to finish off the series.

Since 5pb now has the title under them it would be interesting to see if they go for doing a "remake" like Abyss / Babel.

Why was there a 360 version but not a PS3 one? just find it a bit weird.

But yeah I don't see any Vita footage from the game on your channel.

Do you know who "Drpg 4ever" is? I like his channel. :p

Thats Dorarnae. His old channel got flagged by the bots and content messed up from that so he just closed it down and opened up a new one. Think it was Atlus that flagged him is what he had mentioned.

Exp Inc generally had a good working relationship with MS. Though most of the other titles made their way to the portable Sony systems which found a decent home as well.

I might have recorded something but just not uploaded it then since its the same early footage as the 360 one. Game looks the same too so its not that anything really would be different outside of button prompts lol.

Thats Dorarnae. His old channel got flagged by the bots and content messed up from that so he just closed it down and opened up a new one.

Exp Inc generally had a good working relationship with MS. Though most of the other titles made their way to the portable Sony systems which found a decent home as well.

For whatever reason, I was expecting that channel to be of Dorarnae. This world is a small place.

Parakeetman

For whatever reason, I was expecting that channel to be of Dorarnae. This world is a small place.

Yeah lol there is not that many of us hardcore drpg players around for the most part. Even less who actually do videos. D:

I think it was a smart move for them to go with the psp / vita though vs like trying to have released it on the PS3. The game itself most def more is an on the go thing esp with their general design with gameplay mechanics. Granted I mean I have the PC versions too, but a lot of the time playing I think Id rather just go handheld. Which is why its nice now that we have the PSVTV. So we can hop over to that if we want to play on a larger screen.

Shizuka

Dorarnae is the one that helped me get to know DRPGs more after I played my first one: Wizardry Labyrinth of Lost Souls, even if it wasn't until Demon Gaze that I really went all out on the genre.

Yeah lol there is not that many of us hardcore drpg players around for the most part. Even less who actually do videos. D:

I think it was a smart move for them to go with the psp / vita though vs like trying to have released it on the PS3. The game itself most def more is an on the go thing esp with their general design with gameplay mechanics. Granted I mean I have the PC versions too, but a lot of the time playing I think Id rather just go handheld. Which is why its nice now that we have the PSVTV. So we can hop over to that if we want to play on a larger screen.

I agree that going PSP/Vita sounds like a way better strategy than PS3, DRPGs on the go are godly. Vita TV giving you the option of playing on the big screen is great too.

I do wish I could get some of these games on PC, there's no JDPRGs on Steam. The only DRPG I own on PC are Legend of Grimrock 1/2 and Wizardry 6/7/8(Steam needs Wizardry 4, my favorite one).

Dorarnae is the one that helped me get to know DRPGs more after I played my first one: Wizardry Labyrinth of Lost Souls, even if it wasn't until Demon Gaze that I really went all out on the genre.

Is Labyrinth of Lost Souls any good? I feel like I should check it out, I've had the demo installed on my PS3 for ages.

Parakeetman

I agree that going PSP/Vita sounds like a way better strategy than PS3, DRPGs on the go are godly. Vita TV giving you the option of playing on the big screen is great too.

I do wish I could get some of these games on PC, there's no JDPRGs on Steam. The only DRPG I own on PC are Legend of Grimrock 1/2 and Wizardry 6/7/8(Steam needs Wizardry 4, my favorite one).

Is Labyrinth of Lost Souls any good? I feel like I should check it out, I've had the demo installed on my PS3 for ages.

Its pretty basic in terms of design and the game is not all that difficult, but if one likes DRPGs its an enjoyable enough experience. Its too bad the US never got the next game which updated things with 2 new classes and few fixes to the graphics.

If you have an OG PS3 or PS2 that works look for this game.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/ce/Wizardry-TaleOfTheForsakenLandPS2.JPG

Since its one of the more unique takes on the series itself and can be challenging due to the different game system it uses. But highly enjoyable experience filled with great atmosphere.

Amazon US link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mULtOtqvWC0

Seriously fantastic game. Its one that goes into my top 5 category.

Shizuka

It was the game that introduced me to the genre, I love it to this date. It's a tad hard compared to more recent DRPGs, but it's breakable by getting a particular weapon if you farm a particular enemy. After I got it, the game was a breeze. I paid the full price, back when it was released right after the PSN outage, but it's more than worth it for the current price.

Oh, and there is one JDRPG on Steam: Elminage Gothic.

autoduelist

Elminage Gothic is on steam. [BEAT!]

However, i can add it's currently on sale for like 3 bucks, which is it's lowest price. So grab it now. Since you're talking western DRPGs too, you can also get Bard's Tale. It's the modern version, but it comes with the original trilogy as well (I'm currently re-playing the first - though these, like early Wizardry's are old school and you need to be ready for antiquated keyboard interfaces). And finally, you can also grab Might & Magic Legacy X on Steam, which is a very recent entry (by Ubi, no less) and is actually really, really solid and worth playing.

For the older XXXXXXXX, Might & Magics, and related series (Bard's Tale, Ultima / Ultima Undergrounds, etc) you should go to gog.com. All available at great prices (even better if you wait to their big sales seasons, when they have huge franchise sales where you if you grab everything in a franchise you can sometimes get it at 80 or 90 percent off. I have all the key franchises there and paid pennies, PENNIES, I tell you, for some of the best games of all time.

XXXXXXX= Wizardry... I was wrong, for some reason I thought I owned them on gog, but don't. Hmm. Not available, now I'm looking into it since I swear I own them.

CrovaxPSO

Speaking of Elminage, I wonder what Starfish is doing next for the series. They're remade/ported all but Elminage III, so maybe that's next? The last non-port was Ibun or whatever in late 2012, which they just released again on 3DS. So they totally skipped III for porting since they did Gothic on 3DS before that.

Parakeetman

Speaking of Elminage, I wonder what Starfish is doing next for the series. They're remade/ported all but Elminage III, so maybe that's next? The last non-port was Ibun or whatever in late 2012, which they just released again on 3DS. So they totally skipped III for porting since they did Gothic on 3DS before that.

I have literally no idea what Starfish is doing. They did not seem interested at all to touch the Vita either. Outside of doing digital versions of some of their previous titles. still dont get why they ported their worst rated title to the 3ds. lol since changing the graphics isnt going to fix it.

Parakeetman

Who was the publisher for the Starfish games in Japan? Do they self-publish their games?

All of their Wizardry / Elminage related stuff was self published.

Looking at their site all of the kids / casual related stuff seems to be self published for the most part. I didnt even know they had this many kiddy / casual titles.

They have been around since the PS1 days. Looks like they go back even further, but might have been under a different name. Since the time line does not match up with the current company registration.

2wTZgST.png

CrovaxPSO

I have literally no idea what Starfish is doing. They did not seem interested at all to touch the Vita either. Outside of doing digital versions of some of their previous titles. still dont get why they ported their worst rated title to the 3ds. lol since changing the graphics isnt going to fix it.

I've heard nothing good about Ibun, haha. Even the art style should at least look good given what they went for, but even that managed to look kind of bad. Elminage Gothic has such a good oppressive atmosphere, I'd really like to see a new game like that on the Vita or even 3DS if that's the platform they want to work with.

Parakeetman

I've heard nothing good about Ibun, haha. Even the art style should at least look good given what they went for, but even that managed to look kind of bad. Elminage Gothic has such a good oppressive atmosphere, I'd really like to see a new game like that on the Vita or even 3DS if that's the platform they want to work with.

Even my friend thats hardcore about DRPGs told me dont touch it. Dude buys almost everything too. Hes not going to even try the 3DS one after seeing how the PSP one was.

Im real surprised that we have not heard jack shit about a new Elminage at all. Would be hard to imagine them bothering to get a Vita dev kit this late into the game also just to make a new title for it. Really hope for a new 3DS title.

Even though the title art is not ready I might as well just put together the drpg thread with general info soon. Since the artist over here am almost certain will still be busy for a month or two.

One thing that I was kinda let down by when the game switched from PS2 to handheld Elminage that is, it seemed to me that the amount of enemies in a row of monsters became smaller. Could have been me imagining things, but thats what it felt like as to help balance the game for the portable nature / screen size. As said could have been imagining it, but thats the only one thing thats stuck in my head from the PS2 to DS version of the first Elminage. I still remember getting totally screwed in the first Elminage with the swamp with warp tiles everywhere, lost my main party that way and no way to find them again easily as the rescue party was not high enough for that area and even where the main party wound up they got killed pretty easily.

Elminage was pretty much the last closest to the pure Wizardry experience left.

Im curious who has the license for the name now.

You folks wouldnt believe also that Starfish has literally one of the most expensive Wizardry titles for collecting. Wizardry Empire III: Ancestry of the Empire on the PSP. Thing brand new used to go around 400-500+ seems the price dropped a little to 350-ish. Game is hardcore oldschool Wizardry, which might bore a lot of people though as its real classic stuff in its design. You can get it digitally from JPSN though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXZffIIh1KU

Shizuka

I'm hoping Starfish is doing something, it's not like a developer can live long from just revenue of old games, unless it's just a shell company and they aren't developing games anymore. Ghostlight did the Elminage Gothic PC port themselves, so Starfish must be alive in some way to strike a deal with them and let the game get ported to another platform.

Takao

Banned
Starfish is like the devs that tired to sell STG on PS3 after every STG fan bought a 360. None of their 3DS releases have sold anything approaching okay.

Parakeetman

I'm hoping Starfish is doing something, it's not like a developer can live long from just revenue of old games, unless it's just a shell company and they aren't developing games anymore. Ghostlight did the Elminage Gothic PC port themselves, so Starfish must be alive in some way to strike a deal with them and let the game get ported to another platform.

Considering how long they have been not doing much plus the went and ported their worst title makes me wonder just how ok is the company doing.

Its not like the last 2 titles in the Elminage series did that well anyways.

If they were smart they would just work on doing ports to Steam themselves for the JP side since at least then they would have the code and resources ready for if a publisher in the West wants to grab it.

Then again as mentioned no idea how well off they are as they are a very low key company. Could be they actually make more money on all of the casual stuff for all we know.

Parakeetman

Starfish is like the devs that tired to sell STG on PS3 after every STG fan bought a 360. None of their 3DS releases have sold anything approaching okay.

Isnt the actual reason why we didnt get that many STGs on the PS3 is due to Sony being dicks about it for a good first half of things, till the tail end of things they eased off which is why games started to appear on the system?

Takao

Banned
Isnt the actual reason why we didnt get that many STGs on the PS3 is due to Sony being dicks about it for a good first half of things, till the tail end of things they eased off which is why games started to appear on the system?

Yeah, that's why STGs weren't on PS3, but that doesn't change the effect it had. The audience for that genre is small and they were all on 360, so PS3 releases would always sell worse. Same with dungeon crawlers being primarily a Vita thing, outside of Etrian.

Parakeetman

Yeah, that's why STGs weren't on PS3, but that doesn't change the effect it had. The audience for that genre is small and they were all on 360, so PS3 releases would always sell worse. Same with dungeon crawlers being primarily a Vita thing, outside of Etrian.

There was the Class of Heroes games and the Acquire Wizardry. But for the most part it was the portable scene.

The PSP had a bunch of stuff already as is, but the reason behind that is more that working with the PSP was like working with the PS2 so not a lot of the devs really had to bother with all of the pain in the ass stuff related to PS3 development. Its why the PSP had such a huge varied library also due to a lot of the PS2 era devs continuing to work on PSP titles and they just basically avoided the PS3. Same for the otome / gal games. Now the switch has gone over to the Vita, though there most def has been a drop in general production as the market shift has changed.

New here, do I buy Kiwami or Soul Sacrifice Delta?

Depends on what you want. There is a Kiwami demo. Forget if there was a SSD demo. Go find the Kiwami demo first. Looks like there might be a SSD demo too. Combat in both games are totally different thats why.

SSD has a pretty well done story for the dark fantasy setting, but the game is hit or miss with folks. Most people in this thread praise it like its the second coming of Jesus for whatever reason though. Also pretty interesting monster designs too.

Kiwami is the closest title out there to the Monster Hunter design and weapon controls are fairly easy to learn and the game isnt super difficult either. Helps that the AI for the most part is not totally braindead stupid too. Though they do have issues at times when there are multiple targets. Game progression isnt too bad also. Plus you have a nice varied selection of weapons.

Ponn

Banned
Wow, this is like out of nowhere. I would play Disney Infinity on Vita casually. I see you also get a lot of free shit like the Avengers pack and I also see something about free Captain Marvel and Falcon power pack or something with purchase of 10.00 or more. I may see what I have to trade in and go for that. .I would have to get that Guardians of the Galaxy set though.

edit: so all previous figures are compatible right? 3.0 figures won't be though? If so that sucks.

Shizuka

Considering how long they have been not doing much plus the went and ported their worst title makes me wonder just how ok is the company doing.

Its not like the last 2 titles in the Elminage series did that well anyways.

If they were smart they would just work on doing ports to Steam themselves for the JP side since at least then they would have the code and resources ready for if a publisher in the West wants to grab it.

Then again as mentioned no idea how well off they are as they are a very low key company. Could be they actually make more money on all of the casual stuff for all we know.

As much as I like Elminage, Gothic bombed on Steam, hard. That's the one place a small company can make a modest success by itself, I don't know what else they can do by this point.

JJP12

Get Kiwami. I picked it up when it released and I haven't been able to play anything else since then. Collecting and experimenting with different mitama builds is so much fun. The story is surprisingly good as well. There's a demo if you want to try it out first.

ZeroAKA

There are demos for both Toukiden Kiwami and the original Soul Sacrifice. The two games are actually very different in terms of combat, so you should try both. SSD (which I prefer) is much cheaper than Kiwami on NA PSN.

Welcome! On top of what people have been saying, to try each demo I would ask this since both have a general theme/vibe to the games that ultimately might help you get more engrossed as you play, after all both games have stories to add on to the addictive looting.

Do you enjoy dark fantasy? Dark themes? Ever played Dark Souls/Bloodborne? This game isn't either of those in any aspect specially gameplay, but you could say that the nature of the world surrounding the game is of that level of darkness. Go with Soul Sacrifice.

Do you enjoy japanese culture? Ever wanted to play in a rural japan setting? This game feels very Japanese, same goes for the enemy designs. None of the stuff in this game is nearly as dark as Soul Sacrifice, but the world in this one isn't perfect either. But that's okay, because you are there to help those friendly folks out! Go with Toukiden.

So yeah, rather than telling you to choose one, after playing the demos, or after reading these mini-synopsis, hopefully you'll have a better idea of which one to pick.

kunnikuman

Neo Member
SSD has a pretty well done story for the dark fantasy setting, but the game is hit or miss with folks. Most people in this thread praise it like its the second coming of Jesus for whatever reason though. Also pretty interesting monster designs too.
Looks like I'll be getting Soul Sacrifice Delta since it is praised like the coming of Jesus. It's exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks guys.

Top Bottom