• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | May 2015

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Looks like I'll be getting Soul Sacrifice Delta since it is praised like the coming of Jesus. It's exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks guys.

Once again check the demos first to make sure. Since I was not saying it like that was a good thing.

If you do wind up picking up SSD, the story most def is pretty unique thats for sure and outside of the monster designs the best thing about the title itself. Though the issue that folks have with the title is how the spell system works along with general gameplay mechanics issues. Though if it clicks with you its not that bad to handle.

Toukiden is a lot more straightforward with things so dont really need to explain much about it.

Both are good games with their own + and - to them. So its up to you really to just check out the demos and see what you want want more gameplay wise.

As much as I like Elminage, Gothic bombed on Steam, hard. That's the one place a small company can make a modest success by itself, I don't know what else they can do by this point.

well, I consider myself someone that is pretty informed about Japanese games on Steam and I had NO IDEA that was there.
Its pretty basic in terms of design and the game is not all that difficult, but if one likes DRPGs its an enjoyable enough experience. Its too bad the US never got the next game which updated things with 2 new classes and few fixes to the graphics.

If you have an OG PS3 or PS2 that works look for this game.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/ce/Wizardry-TaleOfTheForsakenLandPS2.JPG

Since its one of the more unique takes on the series itself and can be challenging due to the different game system it uses. But highly enjoyable experience filled with great atmosphere.

Amazon US link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mULtOtqvWC0

Seriously fantastic game. Its one that goes into my top 5 category.

I actually played it already, I haven't finished it but I got pretty far, I need to revist it.

Elminage Gothic is on steam. [BEAT!]

However, i can add it's currently on sale for like 3 bucks, which is it's lowest price. So grab it now. Since you're talking western DRPGs too, you can also get Bard's Tale. It's the modern version, but it comes with the original trilogy as well (I'm currently re-playing the first - though these, like early Wizardry's are old school and you need to be ready for antiquated keyboard interfaces). And finally, you can also grab Might & Magic Legacy X on Steam, which is a very recent entry (by Ubi, no less) and is actually really, really solid and worth playing.

For the older XXXXXXXX, Might & Magics, and related series (Bard's Tale, Ultima / Ultima Undergrounds, etc) you should go to gog.com. All available at great prices (even better if you wait to their big sales seasons, when they have huge franchise sales where you if you grab everything in a franchise you can sometimes get it at 80 or 90 percent off. I have all the key franchises there and paid pennies, PENNIES, I tell you, for some of the best games of all time.

XXXXXXX= Wizardry... I was wrong, for some reason I thought I owned them on gog, but don't. Hmm. Not available, now I'm looking into it since I swear I own them.

on sale for 3 bucks? auto-buy.

Shengar

You need to draw your own map for older DRPG right?
I wish there is an app for that on smart device. My drawing so suck that I might be irritated more by looking at my handdrawn map than getting lost lol

Parakeetman

I wish there is an app for that on smart device. My drawing so suck that I might be irritated more by looking at my handdrawn map than getting lost lol

The original older PC wizardry games generally yes people used to make their own maps. Either that or actually memorize everything Which is pretty insanely hard to do considering how low detail stuff was back then with the earlier titles.

As I told you before in the past its not that hard to do as long as you have graph paper. Which basically was the standard. Also how you count floor tiles aka distance in the game. Not that hard of a concept to understand as its pretty much what EO went and did digitally and why theirs is also grid based. I think thats why a lot of the old school fans found the system pretty amusing.

I like how the creators of that game went fuck it, time to make Wizardry.

Since Starfish had done some other Wizardry titles on several other platforms up till the PS2 / PSP it looks like Elminage appeared after they stopped doing Wizardry titles, so perhaps their license ran out so they were unable to use the name therefore just renamed the series to Elminage. Last Wiz title they did was in 2007, Elminage appeared in 2008.

Shengar

As I told you before in the past its not that hard to do as long as you have graph paper. Which basically was the standard. Also how you count floor tiles aka distance in the game. Not that hard of a concept to understand as its pretty much what EO went and did digitally and why theirs is also grid based. I think thats why a lot of the old school fans found the system pretty amusing.
It just tile but I can hardly draw a straight line without a ruler D:
Digital map drawer that EO provides saves me from that, which makes me hoping for smart device app that served for the same purpose. The Wizardy video you posted earlier looks really cool though (especially Ricardo), so maybe I'll learn to draw straight lines for that lol
I'm glad noone ever had the evil idea of making a hex based dungeon crawler.

Shhh, don't give them any ideas

Parakeetman

That would be such a huge fucking pain in the ass to navigate it would not even be funny. Id feel more sorry for the art team that would have to deal with making larger titles for rooms that use more than the standard 4 directions. Though diagonal movement would be interesting.

If they want to keep doing the whole standard square grid base Id appreciate if more devs would try to actually have different plains of elevation on a map. Rather than everything being floor based for the most part.

Parakeetman

Elminage was tense. Maps with warp panels that bring you to identical looking paths (you have no idea you even warped unless you used another map item)

x_x

You would have "loved" the first game with the swamp with the warp tiles in it. That map was so balls deep with layers to it if you got warped somewhere that you have not yet explored yet you were totally screwed lol.

Good times losing my main party that way D:

I still need to finish Gothic, since I kept switching between that and Elminage III at the time. Elminage III was a bit of a pain with the random parties that would try to kill you on occasion along with the FOE type of things going around...

Im sure Gothics exhaustible map system freaked out a lot of folks lol. I know I went WAT the first time I tried it on the PSP and had to learn to not waste em and remember as much of where I was going.

Seda

I resorted to drawing maps for Oreshika (even though the paths change slightly at times)

felt kind of nostalgic actually

Parakeetman

Drawing maps is too hardcore for me.

Someone else's map for Wiz 7.

wizardry6maps-e1374169060795.jpg

https://richardgoodness.wordpress.com/tag/wizardry-7/

Im still traumatized from back when was still states side and was playing late one night and spilled coffee on my map lol.

Tohsaka

I resorted to drawing maps for Oreshika (even though the paths change slightly at times)

felt kind of nostalgic actually

The lack of automapping literally ruined Oreshika for me. I liked the gameplay, but I have a really bad sense of direction and got discouraged from playing it after a while.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wizardry 4 hardened my resolve when it came to meticulous map making. It takes something truly evil to shake me anymore.

Parakeetman

The lack of automapping literally ruined Oreshika for me. I liked the gameplay, but I have a really bad sense of direction and got discouraged from playing it after a while.

Am sure the whole time limit thing added to that stress too. My friend was in a similar situation and why he stopped playing.

Tohsaka

Am sure the whole time limit thing added to that stress too. My friend was in a similar situation and why he stopped playing.

Yeah, the time limit was a major factor. For other DRPGs I have no issue exploring, because I enjoy stuff like that. With Oreshika it was another story, unfortunately.

I also wasn't able to get into Oreshika in the end. The speed at which your characters age + time limits + the stupid slot machine drop system with random hidden requirements just didn't make it an enjoyable experience for me. I might try again at some point but with the amount of other games out there, maybe not.

Parakeetman

Yeah, the time limit was a major factor. For other DRPGs I have no issue exploring, because I enjoy stuff like that. With Oreshika it was another story, unfortunately.

The game is really for those that like the whole stats crunching thing, since its all about being efficient. Its quite different from the usual JRPGs and the time limit system can be severe for those who are not used to working under the clock in a JRPG. Its kinda like how some people did not like the time limits in the Atlier series.

Wizardry 4 hardened my resolve when it came to meticulous map making. It takes something truly evil to shake me anymore.

Its kinda sad that we dont really get games like that anymore these days. Kings Field Additional was like that on the PSP doing things to literally fuck with the player, but it never made it stateside and the game was pretty rough. But gave a rather unique experience.

But for Wiz-like titles outside of Elminage there really has not been something that brought back the level of viciousness that the original Wizardry games had for Japanese developed titles.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
EO III and Strange Journey tried. Oh, they tried. But I've seen all of those before.

I still say pound for pound the craziest mainstream Japanese dungeon design is in Phantasy Star 2 of all things. That game has an absolute dedication to chutes and ladders style design. Combine that with a high encounter rate and a bland combat system and you've got a match made in hell.

Parakeetman

EO III and Strange Journey tried. Oh, they tried. But I've seen all of those before.

I still say pound for pound the craziest mainstream Japanese dungeon design is in Phantasy Star 2 of all things. That game has an absolute dedication to chutes and ladders style design. Combine that with a high encounter rate and a bland combat system and you've got a match made in hell.

While its not Wizardry from softwares older titles were also designed to fuck with the player. Such as the Kings Field / Shadow Tower games. Good times going to grab something only to have the ledge crumble away and I die lol. But those are more action titles.

I always like Froms design as a lot of times it gives you the feeling of what would happen to a real dungeon adventurer. Death. Lots of Death. lol

Card Boy

Banned
So is anyone else having issues with email verification? I changed my email address to a new one and I am getting nothing in my inbox or spam folder.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Completely off topic but i have finally bought a new notebook! Yay!
It's the Lenovo z50-70, this one
http://www.unieuro.it/online/Notebook/Z50-70-pidLNV59439258

(i7, 8gb, gf 840m, 1tb hd etc)

I paid it 550€ instead of 699€ because today and tomorrow the italian Unieuro is doing a 22% off on everything, so all (v)Itabros you know where to go today ;)

I'm still on the old one though, i have to transfer everything...

I paid it 550€ instead of 699€ because today and tomorrow the italian Unieuro is doing a 22% off on everything, so all (v)Itabros you know where to go today ;)

Nice buy. :)

Bowl0l

Wrong thread but use it to enjoy The Witcher 3.

I also wasn't able to get into Oreshika in the end. The speed at which your characters age + time limits + the stupid slot machine drop system with random hidden requirements just didn't make it an enjoyable experience for me. I might try again at some point but with the amount of other games out there, maybe not.
I had similar issues, although I won't say the game is bad per say. It is quite gorgeous too, it just didn't "click". I had other stuff coming so it went to the backlog.

bobohoro

Oreshika seems so weird, it looks attractive and interesting on paper to me, but every time someone writes about their experience playing it - doesn't even matter if negative or positive - I feel like I wouldn't have any fun with it.

Finished Ayesha+, only missed 2 endings since I didn't do the contests enough and also ignored bonus bosses since the alchemy/battle system wasn't that great for me. Overall it was a pretty good game, my personal rankings of the Atelier series would see it somewhere in the middle next to Meruru+. Really looking forward to E&L+ later this year.

I think I'm gonna go back to Toukiden for a couple of days now.

Zhao_Yun

Has anyone in here played the Persona 4 Arena games? I bought Persona 4 Arena Ultimax recently without having played P4A and was wondering whether the P4A story mode dlc is worth 10 bucks. Asked in the OT but got no answer :(

Has anyone in here played the Persona 4 Arena games? I bought Persona 4 Arena Ultimax recently without having played P4A and was wondering whether the P4A story mode dlc is worth 10 bucks. Asked in the OT but got no answer :(

Heh I got my copy of Ultimax today and would also like to know that. Did you buy it from Rice Digital?

Kudo

I'll ask here to make sure, Muramasa was never released as physical for EU? Is there any sale coming up that might have Muramasa?

Zhao_Yun

Oh wow I totally missed that. I paid twice that (and that's okay as well) but I checked past deals for comparison and it didn't even pop up

They only had it for that price for a short amount of time 2 weeks ago. I remember that they upped the price again one hour after I ordered. Got lucky there :)

I'll ask here to make sure, Muramasa was never released as physical for EU? Is there any sale coming up that might have Muramasa?

No, Muramasa was digital only in EU. No idea when the next SCEE sale will be.

bobohoro

Personally, I just watched videos of about 3 character paths to get the gist of it. I mean, it's worth 10$ for the quantity, it will last you ~20 hours, but it's not very good and many parts repeat quite often. If you also want to play the Ultimax story straight after, you might burn out easily, since that's another 15-20 hours of not_so_great fanfiction that ultimately doesn't go anywhere.

It's nice to see the characters again and some story moments provide genuine great fan service, but it's too little too far apart. The gameplay itself however is pretty awesome.

autoduelist

Isnt the actual reason why we didnt get that many STGs on the PS3 is due to Sony being dicks about it for a good first half of things, till the tail end of things they eased off which is why games started to appear on the system?

STGs? I'm pre-coffee and can't figure out what this stands for.

As much as I like Elminage, Gothic bombed on Steam, hard. That's the one place a small company can make a modest success by itself, I don't know what else they can do by this point.

It's relatively easy to put out a new Drpg on an existing engine if you want to. Fans tend to be fairly forgiving of stuff like reusing art assets (hi SMT!) if it means getting new games in a niche genre. Code in a few new systems, design some dungeons, and... game. I'm not saying it's simple, but it is fairly low budget if you want it to be.

i haven't researched any specific apps, but found this thread for you:
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?570053-iPad-good-mapmaking-apps
I see apps like DM Cartographer and PenUltimate mentioned. Maybe more, need to read the thread later.

Evil but brilliant.

It just tile but I can hardly draw a straight line without a ruler D:

Grid paper already has all the lines, so you're just drawing really short lines to make them dark every step where walls are, and occasionally making marks to designate ladders/traps/etc.

The real trick is dealing with spinners, teleport traps, pits, darkness traps, and other nasty things that intentionally try to get you lost and or mis-mapping (by teleporting you to identical but different hallways, for example)

Elminage was tense. Maps with warp panels that bring you to identical looking paths (you have no idea you even warped unless you used another map item)

Like this.

You would have "loved" the first game with the swamp with the warp tiles in it. That map was so balls deep with layers to it if you got warped somewhere that you have not yet explored yet you were totally screwed lol.

Good times losing my main party that way D:

I still need to finish Gothic, since I kept switching between that and Elminage III at the time. Elminage III was a bit of a pain with the random parties that would try to kill you on occasion along with the FOE type of things going around...

Im sure Gothics exhaustible map system freaked out a lot of folks lol. I know I went WAT the first time I tried it on the PSP and had to learn to not waste em and remember as much of where I was going.

Which game are you talking about in the first paragraph?

As for the last paragraph, I know some people take screen shots of the map.

That's pretty much how I feel about them, too.

The issue with dungeons in oreshika for me was also something awesome about them -- they weren't floors, but a totally intertwining number of tunnels, where you could easily go over/under (often even seeing them) other, older or un-discovered paths. It could be very hard to follow, and it would also be pretty hard to map.

The game is really for those that like the whole stats crunching thing, since its all about being efficient. Its quite different from the usual JRPGs and the time limit system can be severe for those who are not used to working under the clock in a JRPG. Its kinda like how some people did not like the time limits in the Atlier series.
SNIP
But for Wiz-like titles outside of Elminage there really has not been something that brought back the level of viciousness that the original Wizardry games had for Japanese developed titles.

the time limits in Oreshika didn't bother me at all, but I find Atelier unplayable due to time constraints. It's because the time limits in Oreshika aren't 'game breakers'. if you fail one year, just try next year, and you have infinite tries. And if a goal is particularly deep in a dungeon, you can just leave a month or two early to make sure you get to it on time. Atelier has a game timer, and that makes me feel like every action is wasteful.

RE: last paragraph... the original Wizardrys are perhaps the most cruel maps of all time. Then again, most drpgs/crpgs of the 80s were vicious. That was back when most of us bought a game and played it for months (or longer) and so hard, viscous games were par for the course.

RK128

Congrats man :D! Enjoy some great PC games with you new laptop man :).

Does anyone have updated instructions on creating a Japanese PSN account with a PC/Mac? I can only find guides from 2 or 3 years ago and everything is PS3 specific.

I set up an account a long time ago, but I must have used a fake birth date so I can't reset the password.

Zhao_Yun

Personally, I just watched videos of about 3 character paths to get the gist of it. I mean, it's worth 10$ for the quantity, it will last you ~20 hours, but it's not very good and many parts repeat quite often. If you also want to play the Ultimax story straight after, you might burn out easily, since that's another 15-20 hours of not_so_great fanfiction that ultimately doesn't go anywhere.

It's nice to see the characters again and some story moments provide genuine great fan service, but it's too little too far apart. The gameplay itself however is pretty awesome.

Thx for your input. I guess I will just read up a story summary on the net and then start the Ultimax story mode. :)

On another note: Just beat the final boss in Demon Gaze. Really liked this game and might do the post-game dungeon as well. Platinum trophy also doesn't seem to hard to get.

Producer

Shooters/Shmups. Sony had a ridiculous policy early in the ps3 gen where they didnt allow STGs being on the ps3 because they werent widescreen/HD. Its the primary reason 360 became to amazing stg machine it is.

Parakeetman

It's relatively easy to put out a new Drpg on an existing engine if you want to. Fans tend to be fairly forgiving of stuff like reusing art assets (hi SMT!) if it means getting new games in a niche genre. Code in a few new systems, design some dungeons, and... game. I'm not saying it's simple, but it is fairly low budget if you want it to be.

i haven't researched any specific apps, but found this thread for you:
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?570053-iPad-good-mapmaking-apps
I see apps like DM Cartographer and PenUltimate mentioned. Maybe more, need to read the thread later.

Evil but brilliant.

Grid paper already has all the lines, so you're just drawing really short lines to make them dark every step where walls are, and occasionally making marks to designate ladders/traps/etc.

The real trick is dealing with spinners, teleport traps, pits, darkness traps, and other nasty things that intentionally try to get you lost and or mis-mapping (by teleporting you to identical but different hallways, for example)

Like this.

Which game are you talking about in the first paragraph?

As for the last paragraph, I know some people take screen shots of the map.

That's pretty much how I feel about them, too.

The issue with dungeons in oreshika for me was also something awesome about them -- they weren't floors, but a totally intertwining number of tunnels, where you could easily go over/under (often even seeing them) other, older or un-discovered paths. It could be very hard to follow, and it would also be pretty hard to map.

the time limits in Oreshika didn't bother me at all, but I find Atelier unplayable due to time constraints. It's because the time limits in Oreshika aren't 'game breakers'. if you fail one year, just try next year, and you have infinite tries. And if a goal is particularly deep in a dungeon, you can just leave a month or two early to make sure you get to it on time. Atelier has a game timer, and that makes me feel like every action is wasteful.

RE: last paragraph... the original Wizardrys are perhaps the most cruel maps of all time. Then again, most drpgs/crpgs of the 80s were vicious. That was back when most of us bought a game and played it for months (or longer) and so hard, viscous games were par for the course.

Shooting games. Things like Ikaruga, Mushihime, Espgaluda II, etc. While some made it to the PS3 it wasnt till way later in the lifetime of the system.
http://matome.naver.jp/odai/2136706605786550601

We were talking about the Elminage series. Seda had beat Elminage Gothic and I was telling him about the first Elminage game which was on the PS2 / DS / PSP. Think there was some shoddy ass localization done by UFO for the PSP version in the West. Not sure if there is a DL version of that though on PSN. Elminage Gothic was done by Ghostlight for the PC and is on Steam.

Tizoc

Let's see if I can force myself to play and finish Demon Gaze during these next 5 Night shifts :V

Top Bottom