• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | May 2015

Shizuka

The definition varies from person to person but 40 hours in four days is sort of insane for me.

tumblr_m5fp5z591R1qabfx1o2_500.gif

50ppp TOTP: Pre-order Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy (Vita), it comes out in two weeks.

RK128

I played more of Darksides II and man I feel bad for not playing this sooner; really love what Vigil Games did with this one :).

The new transversal ablities Death has are awesome and it reminds me a lot of how Prince controlled in the 3D Prince of Persia's. The expanded exploration ablities really helps make the level design open up, leading to lots of extra tombs and dungeons for collecting loot and gear :D.

The combat is a nice upgrade too, with the secondary weapons being different per type. Do you want the super-fast but not that strong gauntlets or the slow but very powerful hammer to join your swift blade attacks :)? That alongside some great foes to fight and an awesome dodge move really make the combat fun for me :D.

The story isn't really grabbing me here but the original Darksiders didn't grab me either; it was the Zelda mixed with God of War gameplay that made me love that game. Here, that DNA is the same but Diablo and Skyrim seem to be added into that DNA too; the world is a lot more open compared to the first game and I love how you have all these extra locations to explore alongside the main dungeons :D. It helps make the game feel 'large', making things really fun.

How the game runs in PS Now is impressive; the frame-rate rarely dipped on me and the image quality and input lag was a lot better for this compared to Sonic Generations and Sonic 4 Ep. 2.

Overall, I love what I am playing so far and it is amazing to be doing this on the Vita. To think, playing this and Sonic Generations on my favorite gaming platform, that is great :'). I might considering getting the full PS Now subscription down the line, as the service is great so far.

....Or, I might just get Darksiders II as a retail copy for my PS3 in the next week or so :).

Has anyone in the States ordered videogames off Amazon uk? They have a few Vita releases I would like to pick up but figured I would ask here for feedback before attempting an order.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I wonder if people know what they are getting into with Despair Girls, or if they just assume it's Danganronpa 1.5.

It wouldn't be the first time a PS3 game shows up on the Vita storefront.
Oh, the irony!

I would have bought that had they localized the vita version too. Sadly those were the times when Bamco was still hesitant to localize their games. Pass on the extended play sale, golden week + flash sale killed my monthly gaming budget.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I played more of Darksides II and man I feel bad for not playing this sooner; really love what Vigil Games did with this one :).

The new transversal ablities Death has are awesome and it reminds me a lot of how Prince controlled in the 3D Prince of Persia's. The expanded exploration ablities really helps make the level design open up, leading to lots of extra tombs and dungeons for collecting loot and gear :D.

The combat is a nice upgrade too, with the secondary weapons being different per type. Do you want the super-fast but not that strong gauntlets or the slow but very powerful hammer to join your swift blade attacks :)? That alongside some great foes to fight and an awesome dodge move really make the combat fun for me :D.

The story isn't really grabbing me here but the original Darksiders didn't grab me either; it was the Zelda mixed with God of War gameplay that made me love that game. Here, that DNA is the same but Diablo and Skyrim seem to be added into that DNA too; the world is a lot more open compared to the first game and I love how you have all these extra locations to explore alongside the main dungeons :D. It helps make the game feel 'large', making things really fun.

How the game runs in PS Now is impressive; the frame-rate rarely dipped on me and the image quality and input lag was a lot better for this compared to Sonic Generations and Sonic 4 Ep. 2.

Overall, I love what I am playing so far and it is amazing to be doing this on the Vita. To think, playing this and Sonic Generations on my favorite gaming platform, that is great :'). I might considering getting the full PS Now subscription down the line, as the service is great so far.

....Or, I might just get Darksiders II as a retail copy for my PS3 in the next week or so :).

I am now in Korea without my consoles. Would love to have ps Now, but alas.

Takao

Banned
It wouldn't be the first time a PS3 game shows up on the Vita storefront.
Oh, the irony!

I want to say that's been on the store since the game's launch, but only viewable by search. Now it's featured in the sales section on the Vita store ...

Benedict

Lots of PSP games have gone on sale on the EU shop. Hasn't gotten a PS blog update or store shortcut yet though. Should get a full list later today.

For example:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/nl...-psp/cid=EP0102-ULES00193_00-PPCBREATHO000001

Some of the games on sale (games I don't have):

LocoRoco
Daxter
Riviera
Patapon
Patapon 3
Motorstorm arctic edge
Tomb Raider Legend
Darkstalkers Chronicles
Wipeout Pulse
Capcom Puzzle World
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Syphon Filter Dark Mirror
Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
Shin Megami Tensei Persona

omg_mjd

I just revisited Sonic Transformed and after being enamored with it when it first came out I realized after playing it again how bad the Vita port is--great IQ but unstable framerate. Wipeout was once my favorite PS franchise but lately I've felt that the combat takes away from the racing experience, especially given how fast 2048 is. And of course there's NFS Most Wanted which is a well-designed game but oh god that framerate...

So I'm looking elsewhere on PSN:

Ridge Racer R4 - Already finished this game on my Vita but it was great so I'm going to install it again.

Gran Turismo PSP - How is this game? I loved GT on PSone but I never played this version.

MotorStorm RC - This is on sale now. I have the free Scion-branded version and it was okay. Is the full game any good?

Any games I'm missing?

Some of the games on sale (games I don't have):

LocoRoco
Daxter
Riviera
Patapon
Patapon 3
Motorstorm arctic edge
Tomb Raider Legend
Darkstalkers Chronicles
Wipeout Pulse
Capcom Puzzle World
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Syphon Filter Dark Mirror
Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
Shin Megami Tensei Persona

Trails in the Sky is 9€ as well
And on the Vita front, La Mulana EX is 10€

Is Patapon 3 good? Played 1 and 2 ages ago but never touched 3

I just revisited Sonic Transformed and after being enamored with it when it first came out I realized after playing it again how bad the Vita port is--great IQ but unstable framerate. Wipeout was once my favorite PS franchise but lately I've felt that the combat takes away from the racing experience, especially given how fast 2048 is. And of course there's NFS Most Wanted which is a well-designed game but oh god that framerate...

So I'm looking elsewhere on PSN:

Ridge Racer R4 - Already finished this game on my Vita but it was great so I'm going to install it again.

Gran Turismo PSP - How is this game? I loved GT on PSone but I never played this version.

MotorStorm RC - This is on sale now. I have the free Scion-branded version and it was okay. Is the full game any good?

Any games I'm missing?

IIRC GT PSP isn't compatible in NA, so if that's where you are (or the store you're using) that's out.

Ridge Racer Vita is actually a decent arcade drift racer - but it's a bit of a pain that the game's broken into DLC bits and not a complete package anywhere.

Table Top Racing is a good Sonic-like game to play with some friends, but doesn't offer a ton of variety. It's cheap though, and good for a quick round by yourself as well.

omg_mjd

IIRC GT PSP isn't compatible in NA, so if that's where you are (or the store you're using) that's out.

Ridge Racer Vita is actually a decent arcade drift racer - but it's a bit of a pain that the game's broken into DLC bits and not a complete package anywhere.

Table Top Racing is a good Sonic-like game to play with some friends, but doesn't offer a ton of variety. It's cheap though, and good for a quick round by yourself as well.

Thanks for the input. GT PSP shows up in the NA PSN store on my Vita. It's a recent change I think--it was mentioned in another thread somewhere.

I ruled out RR Vita because I heard the framerate was 30. For racing and fighting games it's 60FPS for me or bust.

I'll look for footage of Table Top Racing. It's tempting at $3.

daxy

Thanks for the input. GT PSP shows up in the NA PSN store on my Vita. It's a recent change I think--it was mentioned in another thread somewhere.

I ruled out RR Vita because I heard the framerate was 30. For racing and fighting games it's 60FPS for me or bust.

I'll look for footage of Table Top Racing. It's tempting at $3.

Have you tried Ridge Racer PSP? It's 60fps and plays like a dream.

daxy

Trails in the Sky is 9€ as well
And on the Vita front, La Mulana EX is 10€

Is Patapon 3 good? Played 1 and 2 ages ago but never touched 3

I want to get Trails in the Sky, but there's a remaster of it coming to Vita. No western localization confirmed though.
Perhaps it's too far away to care too much about that.

By the way, does anyone know if the Persona 2 + Trails in the Sky bundle has a separate download for each game, or if it forces you do download both?

I want to get Trails in the Sky, but there's a remaster of it coming to Vita. No western localization confirmed though.

By the way, does anyone know if the Persona 2 + Trails in the Sky bundle has a separate download for each game, or if it forces you do download both?
I don't think the remaster will come here. I mean, the translation is done (barring new scenes) but I still doubt that the work would pay off. I'd rather they focus completely on the unlocalized ones.

Vylash

I doubt we'll get the remaster, but the translation on PSP is fucked anyway so you should grab it on Steam

Vylash

Is the PSP translation of Trails really that bad? I liked it.
important story elements are translated backwards, the translator actually said he felt guilty for getting paid for doing such a terrible job, it's really bad, xseed completely retranslated it for the steam release and there's no way they would've put so many resources into that if the PSP translation was serviceable

daxy

important story elements are translated backwards, the translator actually said he felt guilty for getting paid for doing such a terrible job, it's really bad, xseed completely retranslated it for the steam release and there's no way they would've put so many resources into that if the PSP translation was serviceable

I'll have to read up on this some more, but you might have saved me 9 euros so my wallet is grateful! Though I'd prefer it on a handheld, I'm down for playing it on PC too.

pariah164

Well shit. The PSP version is all I have it on and I really am not equipped to play an RPG on PC. Guess I'm shit out of luck.

Lots of PSP games have gone on sale on the EU shop. Hasn't gotten a PS blog update or store shortcut yet though. Should get a full list later today.

For example:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/nl...-psp/cid=EP0102-ULES00193_00-PPCBREATHO000001

PSP games
−70% Asphalt : Urban GT™ 2 [PSP] €3
−65% Breath of Fire 3 [PSP] €3.50
−70% Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded [PSP] €3
−80% Capcom Puzzle World [PSP] €2
−65% Darkstalkers Chronicle [PSP] €3.50
−60% Daxter™ [PSP] €3.20
−60% Gran Turismo® [PSP] €3.20
−70% Harvest Moon: Hero of Leaf Valley €4.50
−90% IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey [PSP] €3.50
−70% Innocent Life [PSP] €3
−60% Jak and Daxter™: The Lost Frontier [PSP] €3.20
−60% LocoRoco™ [PSP] €3.20
−70% Mega Man Maverick Hunter X [PSP] €3
−60% MotorStorm® Arctic Edge [PSP] €3.20
−60% Patapon™ [PSP] €3.20
−60% Patapon™ 3 [PSP] €3.20
−65% Persona 2 / Persona 3 Portable bundle €17.50
−65% Persona 3 Portable €10.50
−80% RIVIERA [PSP] €3.60
−70% Shin Megami Tensei: Persona Full Game [PSP] €3
−60% Super Stardust™ Portable [PSP] €3.20
−60% Syphon Filter™: Logan's Shadow €3.20
−60% Syphon Filter™: Dark Mirror [PSP] €3.20
−70% Tomb Raider: Anniversary™ [PSP] €4.50
−60% TOMB RAIDER: LEGEND [PSP] €4
−70% Trails in the Sky €9
−60% WipEout® Pulse [PSP] €3.20
−80% Worms: Battle Islands €3

Vita games
−70% Asphalt Injection €6
−65% Broken Sword 5 - the Serpent's Curse: Episode 1 €4.55
−65% Broken Sword 5 - the Serpent's Curse: Episode 2 €4.55
−65% Broken Sword 5 - the Serpent's Curse: Episodes 1&2 €7
−70% Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassified €15
−60% Gravity Rush™ €6
−30% La-Mulana EX €10.49
−50% MUD - FIM Motocross World Championship™ €5
−50% MXGP - The Official Motocross Videogame COMPACT €5
−50% MXGP - The Official Motocross Videogame €10
−60% Pure Chess™ €2.40
−60% Reality Fighters™ €4
−60% Rugby 15 €14
−65% Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time™ €5.25
−60% WRC 4 FIA WORLD RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP €12

Nothing for me

deadfolk

I'm trying my hardest to like Deus Ex HR but I can't. Reminder that I should never start games of genres I don't like again, now I'm sad because the story and the setting look so damn interesting but I just can't deal with the gameplay.

I've got to the first boss before ultimately deciding to drop it, but I was thinking about not going further since the very first mission... btw how far into the game is the first boss?

Oddly enough, I've just started this on Wii U. I've finished the first mission and the semi-open world has opened up, allowing me my choice of side- and main-quests. I'm enjoying it so far.

I wonder if people know what they are getting into with Despair Girls, or if they just assume it's Danganronpa 1.5.

It's not?

mqYacM5.png

Sigh.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Oh yeah, does Operation Abyss have any DLC?

The JP version only had Character Portraits and items. Nothing that was story related.

Chaos Head Noah CP DLC

Limited Edition Swimsuit CP DLC

Famitsu CP DLC

The items were stuff like power recorders and some monster lv up item. (increases game difficulty)

Etria

Only character portraits afaik.

Okay, thanks for that. I'll have a look at them and then see if I need to get an American copy for my Vita or if it's fine sticking to a European copy.

The JP version only had Character Portraits and items. Nothing that was story related.

Chaos Head Noah CP DLC

Limited Edition Swimsuit CP DLC

Famitsu CP DLC

The items were stuff like power recorders and some monster lv up item. (increases game difficulty)

Does the game only have one difficulty setting then?

Nonsense. It wasn't retranslated. There were a handful of translation errors here and there, especially near the end, but none of them drastically affect the storyline. It wasn't a perfect translation job, to be sure, but one we've had the chance to amend in the PC version where needed. Other changes have just been a few tweaks here and there while we're doing SC and Hatsuu going nuts and redoing the army ranks. Because she's crazy.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Okay, thanks for that. I'll have a look at them and then see if I need to get an American copy for my Vita or if it's fine sticking to a European copy.

Does the game only have one difficulty setting then?

Dont think it has a difficulty setting at least I dont remember any. All the item did was like raise all enemy levels by 5. I didnt look to see if its in the US version too. Yeah the US version does have the items too.

http://gematsu.com/2015/04/operation-abyss-first-dlc-announced

Dark Hero Portraits

Content: 6 additional characters and each with 3 different color variations.
Price: Free until July 9 (July 5 EU), $0.99/€0.99 thereafter
Swim Team Xth Squad Portraits

Content: 6 additional female characters in swim suits and each with 3 different color variations.
Price: $0.99/€0.99 from June 9 (June 5 EU)
Bonus Content

Content: 2 type of items that will help the players to start off the game.
Power Recorders (x3) – Let’s player save anywhere inside the Abyss.
Hachi’s Workout Pack – Raises all enemy levels by 5.
Price: Free until July 9 (July 5 EU), $0.99/€0.99 thereafter

SerTapTap

Augh, Neptunia U has free DLC swimsuits and (OP) weapons. Would be nice if PSN let me actually see the DLC when reviewing a game. Wouldn't have changed my opinion but it's nice. Though like I always say, why is free DLC not just patched into the game, I'm pretty sure these were all 100kb unlock codes too so space isn't a valid concern.

You all should be getting them Patapons and LocoRoco. I'm unsure why the best Patapon (2) is missing, but 3 is a good starting point I guess. 1 is pretty brutal and unrefined.

Death mode is not really what you'd expect, it's terrible. The levels are randomly generated in such way that they're impossible to beat 90% of the time, it's not challenging just unfairly difficult.

It's a great game otherwise, but stay far away from death mode.

Well, Death Mode has the brutal difficulty anyway, but yeah there's definitely too much RNG. I always interpreted "death mode" as something more like those "kill you a billion times" platformers than something hard but fair like Mega Man. It's a poor inclusion either way. It doesn't really matter especially at $4 since the main content is great, but it's annoying that like 50% of the trophies are death mode. I'm still missing 4 of them and I swear they ones I'm stuck on are entirely RNG.

Dont think it has a difficulty setting at least I dont remember any. All the item did was like raise all enemy levels by 5. I didnt look to see if its in the US version too. Yeah the US version does have the items too.

http://gematsu.com/2015/04/operation-abyss-first-dlc-announced

I remember this if only because it was the first time I got a press release about female characters in swim suits

Popped my Vita import cherry this month and ordered;

New little kings story uk version
Oreshika asian version
Dokuro japanese version

Now if only I could order patience, this wait is gonna kill me.

SerTapTap

You'll learn to be patient. I'm super used to Amazon 2 day shipping, but I've ordered a couple dozen things from Japan in the last 6 months and almost all of them took over 2 weeks to arrive. I think I'm only waiting on one order now though, progress. I'm just glad that only one was damaged, and I got a full refund (and didn't even have to send it back)

2 weeks doesn't seem like a bad turnaround time. I'm expecting a month so 2 weeks would be awesome lol. So have you imported anything you would recommend for Vita/PS4?

SerTapTap

2 weeks doesn't seem like a bad turnaround time. I'm expecting a month so 2 weeks would be awesome lol. So have you imported anything you would recommend for Vita/PS4?

Most of my imports are on 360 since there's a ton of stuff that's just never going to get localized. Only PS4 imports are Neptunia VII and Estival Versus, both are certain to get localized and Neptunia VII isn't here yet. Estival is totally playable and quite enjoyable but if you can wait I would, I only imported so I could get the figures from the limited editions. My only Vita imports aren't here yet. And I guess I have estival versus imported for Vita but I have never/will never open it.

And wait depends on the shipping method. If you get EMS it can take less than a week, SAL is 2 weeks if you're lucky, a month to two if you're not, but I've been lucky more often than not lately. But to balance it out I was waiting on that Neptune figure for 3 months. The seller was away and shipped late, upgraded shipping for free, but then had to re-ship it, then it finally actually arrived.

graffix13

Trying out Darksiders II right now and will report back on that after playing it for a bit. Looking forward to this one, considering I loved the original game and never got around to buying Darksiders II.

Yeah I enjoyed DS II. Overall I did like the first one better, but the second one was great fun too.

I'm thinking of subbing to PS Now as well. I really want to go back and play Uncharted 2 (and I never did play Uncharted 3).

Anyone play UC 2 through PS Now? Is there any lag or performance issues? I know it's highly dependent on your connection but was wondering about any other issues before I spend the money.

Top Bottom