• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | May 2015

Tapejara

Well Wal-mart Canada was selling Vitas for $99 the other week...

I don't really see the point of dropping the Vita's price. It already makes a profit(?) and it's not like a price drop would increase sales long term.

Prelude.

Some rumour and speculation for you. Apparently, on a competition for their retailer loyalty scheme, Sony has listed the RRP for the PS4 as $350, and the Vita as $89. Caution: can't verify unless you're on said retail loyalty scheme.
Vita to cost less than PSP in 2015 confirmed.

I'd be fine with more, fairly steep, PSP sales actually. There's a lot of neat-ish PSP games that are still $20
But it's called a "vita sale" when there are like 6 actual vita games. And none of them is SSD.

RK128

Some rumour and speculation for you. Apparently, on a competition for their retailer loyalty scheme, Sony has listed the RRP for the PS4 as $350, and the Vita as $89. Caution: can't verify unless you're on said retail loyalty scheme.

Wow at that Vita price cut O_O! I would say that is a great thing....but man, that is a really cheap price for a Vita 1000 or 2000! I guess, Sony is doing to in finally making that PS4 + Vita bundle we keep saying they would do? Because between the PS4 price cut and the Vita price cut, we have both consoles costing around 439$ together....that is a really good deal I think :D.

Lets see what happens this E3....maybe Sony is going to give the Vita a big push this year, using Indie support, JP support, PS4 Remote play and PS Now to sell the system.

Shizuka

Me too since I was part of the group of people that said that was gonna wait and not buy the PS3 version until this one came. Still reading through Ciel, it's quite thick but the story is interesting.

I'm not sure I'll read that, to be honest. It requires too much time I don't have right now.

I'm not sure I'll read that, to be honest. It requires too much time I don't have right now.
I did the math and I'm reading about 2 chapters a week. Been doing this so that I finish the last 2 chapters the week before it launches, it takes me about 30mins total of reading every week. You'd have to catch up (3chs or so a week now?) but you could do the same as me and be ready by launch

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Wow, at 89 buck, I'd buy 2. I hope it is true. will really give the system a second life I think.

Well Wal-mart Canada was selling Vitas for $99 the other week...

I don't really see the point of dropping the Vita's price. It already makes a profit(?) and it's not like a price drop would increase sales long term.

I think an $89 handheld will be attractive for a long, long time.

If this is true (I doubt it is, most likely a typo, which happens all the time) , maybe they are just abandoning the handheld space, so since this is their last handheld, they are doing a firesale.

Tapejara

I don't know if I'd say it'd be a discontinuation, but I could see such a low price as Sony properly repositioning the Vita as a PS4 companion device. Sony's done kind of a piss poor job of it, keeping the price at $200; but at a sub $99 price point the Vita becomes more attractive as an extension for the PS4.

Obviously we'd all rather have the Vita doing well and getting consistent development support (yes I know there are over 350 games coming from the platform, but Western support has been abysmal), but I'd rather take Sony truly repositioning it than outright discontinuing it.

Or if they do discontinue it, at least leave the servers up for a few years so I can still play EDF 2017.

A PSP game is launching this year. Come to think of it, so is a Wii game...

That's single titles, and if we're being facetious I'm sure there's something releasing on NES this year from some homebrew coder as well. That said, there are multiple confirmed titles that'll either be hitting in 2016 or later, or are confirmed for 2016 already - not to mention that the Vita's lifespan is tied to PS4's lifespan through remote play.

Also just a quibble of mine, but it's hard to compare Wii and PSP titles to Vita titles as they each have a successor which is capable of playing their titles - what's going to play Vita games once that's discontinued? Just the Vita.

Takao

Banned
PlayStation Store Sneak Peek: May 26th 2015

PSone Classic
Mega Man 8 (Wednesday release)

PS4 Games
Arcade Archives Crazy Climber
Arcade Archives Ninja Kid
Badlands: Game of the Year Edition
Magicka 2
Roundabout (Possible Wednesday release)
Ultra Street Fighter IV

PS3 Games
Weird Park: The Final Show

Vita Games
Invizimals: The Resistance
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
Vitamin Z (Possible Wednesday release)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That's single titles, and if we're being facetious I'm sure there's something releasing on NES this year from some homebrew coder as well. That said, there are multiple confirmed titles that'll either be hitting in 2016 or later, or are confirmed for 2016 already - not to mention that the Vita's lifespan is tied to PS4's lifespan through remote play.

Also just a quibble of mine, but it's hard to compare Wii and PSP titles to Vita titles as they each have a successor which is capable of playing their titles - what's going to play Vita games once that's discontinued? Just the Vita.

PSP's successor cannot play the physical games that are going to be released this year and possibly next. It's a neat situation. Same with the Wii's situation (especially considering that is supposedly the best version of the game.)

Yasumi

Banned
PS4 arrived today, and it's okay I guess.

Enjoying Omega Quintet so far. It's like a larger scale Nep with a more grounded story and characters, with a traditional JRPG battle system.

Looking forward to playing Yakuza 0 when it comes in the mail, and my PS+ stuff whenever these ridiculously huge downloads finish. It'll be nice once more Japanese games start getting released and localized.

Producer

PlayStation Store Sneak Peek: May 26th 2015

PSone Classic
Mega Man 8 (Wednesday release)

PS4 Games
Arcade Archives Crazy Climber
Arcade Archives Ninja Kid
Magicka 2
Ultra Street Fighter IV

PS3 Games
Weird Park: The Final Show

Vita Games
Invizimals: The Resistance
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
Vitamin Z (Possible Wednesday release)

Megaman 8 out of nowhere, or was this known? Capcom been releasing a good amount of their older games on VC and PSN recently.

E364b6b.jpg

Got Terra Cresta because it was one of the few games I had for our NES which I got when everyone else had a SNES already. Got it for $5 at Blockbuster used bin and we played the crap out of it despite it not being a very good game. It is a basic vertical shooter where the only gimmick is that if you collect all the weapons you turn into a dragon which is AWESOME.

If the Archive Archives are all like this, they are all bare bones. You get the emulated game and nothing else. You get trophies by going through the menu. It plays alright. The games probably would do better if they were cheaper instead of $8. Seems weird that I am paying more for this game than I did in the 90's.

Interested in Vitamin Z and Roundabout. Not sure. Badlands looks like a really good game but it seems like a game I have played a few times before.

I got try an Invizamals game sometime. Looks like a Skylanders/Disney Infinity without needing toys. BTW - Has anybody played the super weird Disney Infinity Vita port yet?

I played a little bit of it and it's not very good. The menus look really nice but actual gameplay looks terrible plus controls have some bad input lag. Also load times are awful but since I haven't played other versions of the game I don't know if that's a problem with just the Vita version.

IMO only 3 types of people should buy/play this game.
  1. Kids who like Disney
  2. Adults who like collecting Disney Stuff
  3. People like me who buy nearly every Vita release
Here's a screenshot from the very beginning of the game.
xA3TghH.jpg

I played a little bit of it and it's not very good. The menus look really nice but actual gameplay looks terrible plus controls have some bad input lag. Also load times are awful but since I haven't played other versions of the game I don't know if that's a problem with just the Vita version.

IMO only 3 types of people should buy/play this game.
  1. Kids who like Disney
  2. Adults who like collecting Disney Stuff
  3. People like me who buy nearly every Vita release
Here's a screenshot from the very beginning of the game.
xA3TghH.jpg

Good info thanks. Saved me from another perphial for the closet graveyard.

autoduelist

At this point, I've put a fair amount of time into Valhalla Knights 3. It's got a laundry list of issues, a couple major, but overall it's a fun grind if you like to just mindlessly kill stuff and get more and more powerful.

best feature ---
You control a team of 7 (and can flip between them). Each character can have a primary class and two subclasses (primary determines stats, but you can set up your active skills from any you've earned from all 3. Every time you level in any class you get a stat point, and these are 'universal'... so even if switch to a new class at level 1, you might have a huge +99 boost to str or vitality or whatever from leveling other classes. all 7 are active on the battlefield and if you have their personalities set up right generally seem to do a good job and help far more than they hurt. there are a ton of classes, and you can easily change between them for a small fee (pocket change, really). Most of my characters are somewhere between level 10-20 in all classes i have available just for the universal stat boosts that gives my characters.

This is by far the best thing about the game. Maybe even it's only good thing... but it's good enough that it keeps me coming back, switching around classes, leveling everyone... even if my mage+priest+shaman has no interest in melee, it's still fun quickly levelling up fighter/soldier/ninja to level 15 or so for those bonus 45 stat points.

bad stuff --
everything else, pretty much.
fetchity fetch mcfetcherson. kill 30. find 20. on and on. some of these are mildly addictive, but in general it's pain.
[intentionally] goofy characters and plot.
combat is pretty clunky but gets the job done one you've adjusted to it.

biggest crime
distance is painful. the world map, dungeon maps, and everything else are too big and take far too long to navigate. it's a crime against my time, really.

goofy stuff -
the clerk business is way over exaggerated imo. in fact, there are better, cheaper stores easily available that allow you to completely skip this mechanic if you want. and if you do try it, it's just your standard rubadubdub the picture til you find out the clerk has a sensitive knee or something. it's just a boring minigame, and i have just as hard a time imagining people 'enjoy' this as I do imagining other people get 'offended' by it. it's right up there with those pens you can buy at crap stores that 'strip' when you turn them upside down -- not really good for anything, but not worth boycotting over either.

verdict -- there are a lot of better games out there, and this can be safely skipped... unless you just sort of want a game that will give you endless hours of mindless grinding as you level up your squad. i think it's actually pretty good at that.

I still need to get through Grim Fandango, definitely recommend a walkthrough. I even tried just taking the tiniest hint of one and immediately got stuck afterward. Kind of tempted to just straight up read exactly what to do instead of waiting to get stuck.

I wouldn't even mind the controls at all if there weren't so much "oops guess this isn't where I need to be after all"

don't do it to yourself. grim fandango is from a time when we spent time solving puzzles, no easy guides a click away. and yes, sometimes this meant you banged your head against your desk, stumped, or even took a break and slept on it. but the end result? glorious.

then again, i suppose we no longer have attention spans. so whatever.

Renpatsu

Looks like v1.14 will be the final update to MUSYNC given that PSM will be shutting down.
They added two new songs for purchase in game.

<Little Red's Daily>
<Travel notes>

So in the end the song list count comes up to 29 (including the purchasable songs).

SerTapTap

It's cool to see Capcom out of the blue (heh) start realizing "Oh fuck! We have mega man games! Let's release them" as far as PS1 classics/Virtual Console are concerned.

If you have a PS2, just get the Mega Man/Mega Man X collections though. They're like $20 new on Amazon.

PS4 arrived today, and it's okay I guess.

Enjoying Omega Quintet so far. It's like a larger scale Nep with a more grounded story and characters, with a traditional JRPG battle system.

Characters are way worse, combat system is better. I found it quite enjoyable but don't get too hung up on hoping the characters/story are any good. If Hohokum and UNfinished Swan are still in rotation, play 'em ASAP. Also replay Flower if you bought it, it's surprising how much better it looks and controls now (the DS4 gyro is much better)

don't do it to yourself. grim fandango is from a time when we spent time solving puzzles, no easy guides a click away. and yes, sometimes this meant you banged your head against your desk, stumped, or even took a break and slept on it. but the end result? glorious.

then again, i suppose we no longer have attention spans. so whatever.

I've played some of Sierra's stuff from that age, but once I got to that puzzle where you need to use the balloons that was just too absurd. I'll still try the puzzles, if only because the snarky "whoops can't do that" messages are half the fun of adventure games, but I'm not getting stuck for over an hour in one of these again.

This reminds me, I bought the Quest for Glory pack and was finally going to beat it now that there's a version I can actually complete (I played on a blazing fast Windows 98 machine that crashed in the swamp because the processor was too fast or something. I also couldn't play Sonic 3&K PC because framerate was unlocked, yet tied to gameplay. Awkward times for PC gaming)

Ugh, the Vita sale on the EU store is garbage. It's more like a PSP sale.

Lol. I was literally thinking this was the best sale in ages because it had a load of PSP games which haven't been on sale since I bought my Vita way back in 2012 (Jak Lost Fronter; WipEout Pulse).

Compared to the usual digital indie titles that go on sale for Vita all the time.

eFKac

Lol. I was literally thinking this was the best sale in ages because it had a load of PSP games which haven't been on sale since I bought my Vita way back in 2012 (Jak Lost Fronter; WipEout Pulse).

Compared to the usual digital indie titles that go on sale for Vita all the time.

Truth.

Getting Gran Turismo and Daxter myself, haven't seen them on sale in over a year, haven't played both.

Will be basically done with my PSP backlog of games I missed finally.

Edit, Ehh forgot the GoW games and would rather play them on the Vita, weird that the HD remaster never made it's way to the platform.

AsfaeksBR

Uncharted: Golden Abyss is good. A lot of little interruptions breaking the flow and a lot of bulletsponge enemies, but overall a good game.

SerTapTap

Uncharted: Golden Abyss is good. A lot of little interruptions breaking the flow and a lot of bulletsponge enemies, but overall a good game.

It's a damn shame it got hit so hard with the "show off our new hardware" stick. At the bare minimum a "skip the touch/camera/etc minigames" option for a second playthrough would significantly improve the game. It'd be a solid game without them, though certainly not the best of Uncharted still.

AsfaeksBR

It's a damn shame it got hit so hard with the "show off our new hardware" stick. At the bare minimum a "skip the touch/camera/etc minigames" option for a second playthrough would significantly improve the game. It'd be a solid game without them, though certainly not the best of Uncharted still.

What really makes it bad is that card collecting mini-game. Every time you get a collectible, the game stops to show you which card you got on Flight for Fortune, and that's a damn shame.

SerTapTap

I had completely forgotten about that, but that ties into the same thread--it was a feature intended to showcase Near I guess. I'm so glad Near more or less died frankly, I loathe Streetpass too. These features only make sense in Japan and/or very large cities. Even then I don't like the idea, let me progress due to my own skill and effort, not because Bob bought the same game as me. Especially with these RNG "meet more people to get more lottery tickets" things.

autoduelist

I had completely forgotten about that, but that ties into the same thread--it was a feature intended to showcase Near I guess. I'm so glad Near more or less died frankly, I loathe Streetpass too. These features only make sense in Japan and/or very large cities. Even then I don't like the idea, let me progress due to my own skill and effort, not because Bob bought the same game as me. Especially with these RNG "meet more people to get more lottery tickets" things.

Yup, that was to showcase Near. Had to love some people who clearly never used it acting like the death of Near was the death of Vita.

It's got some interesting ideas in it (your accomplishments in one game affecting another game could theoretically be cool in the way some series like Suikoden or Digital Devil Saga reward completion of previous titles). But in practice? Not worthwhile.

SerTapTap

Oh man I keep forgetting Rack N Ruin, what I played of it (an hour or so) was pretty good. They picked an awful time to launch though, end of March

Top Bottom