• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | May 2015

Brawl, Paperbound or Rack N' Ruin for PS4.

Also could you make a recommendation video for the best PS Mobile games before the store shuts down?

Cool. Somehow I missed these games and didn't even noticed they got released. Paperbound and Rack N' Ruin already got reviews at Vigilant Gamers so I'll see about doing one for Brawl.

That PSMobile compilation video is a great idea for a project. I am going to get going on that. Thanks!

EDIT - TOPR: You missed Super Mega Baseball on the flash sale and consequently are a horrible person.

AsfaeksBR

Golden Abyss, past Chapter 8, went from a good game to a great game. Feels like it kicked off now, and there's no stopping to it now.
On Chapter 15 right now.

Will play Killzone Mercenaries after I finish Uncharted, and then probably will pick up Danganronpa and a little game to play alongside it.

Received 4 e.mails in three days from Sony telling me to change my password. Is this routine or just for suspect accounts? It's sort of pissing me off.

autoduelist

Received 4 e.mails in three days from Sony telling me to change my password. Is this routine or just for suspect accounts? It's sort of pissing me off.

No, they don't average over 1 a day. I'm not sure I've ever received one. It's possible they noticed suspicious activity on your account (probably just failed attempts to access your account, perhaps from a different country or a series of 'guesses'). Time to change your pw just in case.

AsfaeksBR

I'm playing the game right now and I like it, but the cases are Detective Conan levels of bad/far-fetched and full of holes. It's getting better though.

It gets worse in Danganronpa 2

Wait, so it's not as good as people say or did I understand it wrong?
I want to play some "smaller" RPG's before starting P4G, and I'm torn between Chrono Trigger and Danganronpa, and people recommended Danganronpa first...

I want to play some "smaller" RPG's before starting P4G, and I'm torn between Chrono Trigger and Danganronpa, and people recommended Danganronpa first...

Danganronpa is not an RPG. It's a murder mystery game. Think Phoenix Wright, if you've played that.

Those games are very highly praised, but are absolutely flawed. The first game is pretty well written, and if you enjoy the gameplay and aren't super familiar with the tropes and trends within the genre you'll probably like it quite a bit. If you're very familiar with the tropes and find the gameplay tedious, you'll probably think it's underwhelming.

The 2nd game is certainly "crazier" but I don't think it's for the better.

As far as Chrono vs DR, it's apples and oranges. If you want an actual RPG play Chrono.

Prelude.

It's amazing but people have different tastes. Danganronpa is not an rpg, btw.

AsfaeksBR

Danganronpa is not an RPG. It's a murder mystery game. Think Phoenix Wright, if you've played that.

Those games are very highly praised, but are absolutely flawed. The first game is pretty well written, and if you enjoy the gameplay and aren't super familiar with the tropes and trends within the genre you'll probably like it quite a bit. If you're very familiar with the tropes and find the gameplay tedious, you'll probably think it's underwhelming.

The 2nd game is certainly "crazier" but I don't think it's for the better.

As far as Chrono vs DR, it's apples and oranges. If you want an actual RPG play Chrono.

It's amazing but people have different tastes. Danganronpa is not an rpg, btw.

That... actually makes it better. Now I want to play Danganronpa more, since I haven't played a Murder Mystery in years.
Will definately play it first, then I'll go ahead and play Chrono.
Thanks!

yaffi

That... actually makes it better. Now I want to play Danganronpa more, since I haven't played a Murder Mystery in years.
Will definately play it first, then I'll go ahead and play Chrono.
Thanks!

The mystery part is definitely great in Danganronpa. You really want to find out what the hell is going on. But it's like the others said: if you're familiar with the genre/the tropes, it gets pretty predictable and you figure out all kinds of plot holes.

Prelude.

The mystery part is definitely great in Danganronpa. You really want to find out what the hell is going on. But it's like the others said: if you're familiar with the genre/the tropes, it gets pretty predictable and you figure out all kinds of plot holes.
Nah, keep playing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The overall story of Danganronpa 2 is a lot worse, but on the other hand the cases are quite a bit less dumb. Still farfetched, mind you, but the people involved in solving the case aren't quite the blithering idiots they are in the first game.

The overall story of Danganronpa 2 is a lot worse, but on the other hand the cases are quite a bit less dumb. Still farfetched, mind you, but the people involved in solving the case aren't quite the blithering idiots they are in the first game.

I dunno. There was only 1 or 2 cases in DR2 that I thought were really good. The rest were varying degrees of predictable, ridiculous, and/or molested by awful dialogue.

I mean, the series. DR1's cases are a bit too easy (and they also "sacrifice" the first one for the tutorial) but they go all out in DR2 right off the bat.

Easy from a gameplay perspective or a solving-the-cases perspective? I would argue DR2 is only more difficult from a gameplay perspective due to poorly formulated minigame answers and as far as "right off the bat" goes, DR2's first case is probably the most easily deciphered by simple logic.

Prelude.

Easy from a gameplay perspective or a solving-the-cases perspective? I would argue DR2 is only more difficult from a gameplay perspective due to poorly formulated minigame answers and as far as "right off the bat" goes, DR2's first case is probably the most easily deciphered by simple logic.
Solving-the-cases perspective. And I don't know how you can say the first is the easiest when in the first in DR1 (DR1/2 spoilers)
they literally tell you who did it. And I don't think it's predictable at all, who would think that they'd immediately kill a returning character from the first game and the apparent comic relief guy in the first case?

Solving-the-cases perspective. And I don't know how you can say the first is the easiest when in the first in DR1 (DR1/2 spoilers)
they literally tell you who did it. And I don't think it's predictable at all, who would think that they'd immediately kill a returning character from the first game and the apparent comic relief guy in the first case?

okay, it's been a while since I played DR1 so maybe you're right about that. Honestly can't speak to it. As far as DR2 goes...
process of elimination post-murder means it was 100% Nagito. It is made very very plain to the player that the murder was well prepped for, and literally the only person who fit that was Nagito. Even the cooking twit's involvement was process of elimination given the very first clues and general knowledge of the events.

Prelude.

okay, it's been a while since I played DR1 so maybe you're right about that. Honestly can't speak to it. As far as DR2 goes...
process of elimination post-murder means it was 100% Nagito. It is made very very plain to the player that the murder was well prepped for, and literally the only person who fit that was Nagito. Even the cooking twit's involvement was process of elimination given the very first clues and general knowledge of the events.
But that doesn't mean anything in that context, you're still playing a game and you expect certain characters to be "unkillable" because you think they're important to the game or that new clues that can turn the entirety of the case around can pop out at any moment so the conclusions you reach at any given point can never really be trusted. Danganronpa, specifically, has an extra layer of unpredictableness if the player is into anime/japanese videogames because of the way they manage to subvert tropes and clichés. Just to make an example, they immediately throw at you your female childhood friend and she's also obviously suddenly attracted to you. *audible groaning* "Come on, game." But, and this is absolutely ingenious in my opinion (even more if you played the demo), they actually kill her first and she also tries to frame you for her attempted murder. This whole thing falls completely flat to a random dude that doesn't even know what's an annie may. On the opposite, he might actually think she's a likely candidate to be the first murdered since she looks kinda plain. The series, as a whole, is rife with this kind of things and you never know if they're laying it out for you to help you progress or just to fuck with you.

But that doesn't mean anything in that context, you're still playing a game and you expect certain characters to be "unkillable" because you think they're important to the game or that new clues that can turn the entirety of the case around can pop out at any moment so the conclusions you reach at any given point can never really be trusted. Danganronpa, specifically, has an extra layer of unpredictableness if the player is into anime/japanese videogames because of the way they manage to subvert tropes and clichés. Just to make an example, they immediately throw at you your female childhood friend and she's also obviously suddenly attracted to you. *audible groaning* "Come on, game." But, and this is absolutely ingenious in my opinion (even more if you played the demo), they actually kill her first and she also tries to frame you for her attempted murder. This whole thing falls completely flat to a random dude that doesn't even know what's an annie may. On the opposite, he might actually think she's a likely candidate to be the first murdered since she looks kinda plain. The series, as a whole, is rife with this kind of things and you never know if they're laying it out for you to help you progress or just to fuck with you.
This is where the "being familiar with the murder mystery tropes/genre" thing comes up.

Prelude.

This is where the "being familiar with the murder mystery tropes/genre" thing comes up.
You can't be familiar with something that doesn't exist, though. They always pull new things from everyone's ass, most of the time you can't actually reach a conclusion on your own because the game's purposely keeping elements from you, they're not Doyle's novels, they're games.

Vylash

gotten to the point in freedom wars where abductors are one shotting me so that's fun, i prefer close range combat but the game's doing a great job of not making that a viable option

Case 2 of DR1 is awesome.

I'm a fan of DR1 but 2 just blew me away, dat case 5.

2 improves on 1 in every aspect except setting, god case 5 still hurts and i finished it last year

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
gotten to the point in freedom wars where abductors are one shotting me so that's fun, i prefer close range combat but the game's doing a great job of not making that a viable option

Told you melee combat is garbage. That and the game design is just not made for it either.

Parakeetman

If you want smaller go play Chrono Trigger.

More like play what you want, dont follow hype.

DGR is most def a good game though. But a lot of fans in general liked the first one more. I think the reasoning behind that is because it was a fresh experience. Like how people remember FF7 due it to being one of the first FF titles in full 3d.

If I had to choose I'd say I like DR2 more than the first. I like the mysteries of the second game more and I certainly thought the cast was more interesting. The series overall is crazy so I didn't mind the extra dose the sequel gives you.

Parakeetman

yeah i'm seriously considering just using 2 long range weapons even though that's not nearly as fun

Its a damned shame since Shift most def can do game balance and melee combat well enough such as with their God Eater series. So with that in mind whoever was in charge of approving or shitcanning things for the project had no idea what they were doing. :/

As yeah the game basically forces you to go ranged only for the most part outside of trying to cut parts off (mainly the shield generators), unless you use the heat knife disposable items. Think they might have patched the bug that allowed you to get a stronger effect on the non disposable version.

The damage you can take with the end game stuff is pretty high and even with the HP and DEF up items it wont save you if you get corner fucked or just take bad multiple hits.

As mentioned the animations do not help either as they are so overdone that it leaves the player way too open. Charging time for the more useful charge attacks do not help either. As during the time when you are charging up for the attack you are missing out on potential damage to be dealt. Not to mention most of the weapons do not have that great damage output anyways the charge attacks for the risk involved performing them. :/ One of the more useful ones "on rare occasion" was the spear that allows you to throw it like a railgun shot. As it pierces stuff. With the right setup on it can do some good damage. But its way too dangerous to try and pull off if there are multiple targets and the attack it does when latched on is mostly useless. So you would be better off attempting it if playing with friends than solo.

Generally the melee weapons are not meant to be used when playing solo, but can be used when playing with friends. But even then, constantly dying due to having to get in too close is not going to help the team out lol.

omg_mjd

Gran Turismo PSP is so good on the Vita. Stable 60 FPS, outstanding track design and really good music. And a car collection that is going to take forever to complete. And since it's a PSP game it barely uses any battery--it took more than 3 hours to bring my Vita from full to 75%.

So I deleted NFS Most Wanted without regret. I still think it's a good game but I already played enough of it and unlocked enough of the content to get my money's worth. The open world with its day/night cycle and cops never gets old but I just don't want to deal with the framerate dips anymore.

eFKac

Gran Turismo PSP is so good on the Vita. Stable 60 FPS, outstanding track design and really good music. And a car collection that is going to take forever to complete. And since it's a PSP game it barely uses any battery--it took more than 3 hours to bring my Vita from full to 75%.

So I deleted NFS Most Wanted without regret. I still think it's a good game but I already played enough of it and unlocked enough of the content to get my money's worth. The open world with its day/night cycle and cops never gets old but I just don't want to deal with the framerate dips anymore.

Just started playing it on PlayStation TV myself.
It also looks damn good! Really good image quality, car models and all with smooth 60fps, fantastic.

Gran Turismo Vita that could have looked close to GT5 rendered by this small box...what could have been!

Parakeetman

Is Gran Turismo PSP arcade racer-like?

Its Gran Turismo on the PSP. If you are not familiar with the series, its more of a racing simulator rather than something like Ridge Racer. Granted the career mode is missing, the game still is good.

You want an arcade racer better off with like Ridge Racer and stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L328K6hFg9Q

Though depends on what your definition of "arcade racer" is.

Someone going through the game and various menus then finally a race at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9RSbRxSNcw

omg_mjd

Just started playing it on PlayStation TV myself.
It also looks damn good! Really good image quality, car models and all with smooth 60fps, fantastic.

First thing I thought when watching a replay of my race was how good it would look on a TV. As per GT tradition the game manages to render it so it looks like an actual video feed (albeit at PSP resolution). It's unreal to think this was programmed for a PSP.

I need to get myself a PS TV eventually. Maybe when I get a 64GB card so I can use my current 32GB in the PS TV.

I also need the PS TV for fighting games. As much as the Vita's controls are great for fighters I just got this thing so I want to baby it for a while and not mash it to an early death like I did with my 3DS. Do 3rd party controllers work with the PS TV?

Gran Turismo Vita that could have looked close to GT5 rendered by this small box...what could have been!

Yeah I try not to think about this too much. :p What could have been indeed.

Is Gran Turismo PSP arcade racer-like?

The game simulates enough to give you a satisfying racing experience while not burdening you with things like damage modelling and realistic collisions. In GT you basically bounce off walls and lose speed instead of crashing like you would in an actual sim or a game like Burnout. There's also a decent amount of car tuning options but I've gotten by so far without having to touch them (though I plan to switch to manual transmission and explore tuning after I progress some more).

You want an arcade racer better off with like Ridge Racer and stuff.

Yeah the Ridge Racer series is definitely what people think about when they hear arcade racer. Haven't played the PSP version but I'm sure it's good. It's been recommended to me before (I'm told it's also 60fps unlike RR Vita) and RR 4 on PSone is one my favorite arcade racers on any system.

deadfolk

Guys...Vita/PSP sale. Do I go for:

Mega Man Maverick Hunter X (Never played a MM before. I know, I'm a horrible person)
Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded
Gran Turismo (Does this only have time trials? No campaign is a turn-off for me)

Or something else? I have €4. I already have:
Breath of Fire 3
Persona
Patapon & LocoRoco (On UMD)

AsfaeksBR

Oh wow, didn't know about it.
As a new Vita owner playing Through Uncharted, it's going from 100 to 0% in about 4,5 hours (model 1101). How much time does it take to deplete the battery playing a PS1 Classic?

Parakeetman

First thing I thought when watching a replay of my race was how good it would look on a TV. As per GT tradition the game manages to render it so it looks like an actual video feed (albeit at PSP resolution). It's unreal to think this was programmed for a PSP.

I need to get myself a PS TV eventually. Maybe when I get a 64GB card so I can use my current 32GB in the PS TV.

I also need the PS TV for fighting games. As much as the Vita's controls are great for fighters I just got this thing so I want to baby it for a while and not mash it to an early death like I did with my 3DS. Do 3rd party controllers work with the PS TV?

Yeah I try not to think about this too much. :p What could have been indeed.

The game simulates enough to give you a satisfying racing experience while not burdening you with things like damage modelling and realistic collisions. In GT you basically bounce off walls and lose speed instead of crashing like you would in an actual sim or a game like Burnout. There's also a decent amount of car tuning options but I've gotten by so far without having to touch them (though I plan to switch to manual transmission and explore tuning after I progress some more).

Yeah the Ridge Racer series is definitely what people think about when they hear arcade racer. Haven't played the PSP version but I'm sure it's good. It's been recommended to me before (I'm told it's also 60fps unlike RR Vita) and RR 4 on PSone is one my favorite arcade racers on any system.

the PSP versions were fantastic in course design, gameplay and music. Literally the LAST good ridge racer games made pretty much. Didnt care for 6 & 7... Lets not even talk about the Vita version.

omg_mjd

Gran Turismo (Does this only have time trials? No campaign is a turn-off for me)

Time trials, yes, but also single player races vs. AI drivers.

Oh wow, didn't know about it.
As a new Vita owner playing Through Uncharted, it's going from 100 to 0% in about 4,5 hours (model 1101). How much time does it take to deplete the battery playing a PS1 Classic?

I guess the battery drain should be the same as a PSP game--been a while since I've played a PSone game extensively to notice. I believe 4 hours or so for a heavy Vita game like Uncharted is expected for the OLED model. Mine's the PSV 2000 so it has slightly more battery life to begin with.

Parakeetman

Top Bottom