• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | May 2015

SerTapTap

I guess I get to blame Wilflare for the fact that I'll be playing this for the next few weeks and ignoring all my other stuff

IMG_20150523_205433.jpg

I'm in the mood for a musou game for Vita. OP Pirate Warriors doesn't come out till august. I believe that leaves either Neptunia U or Senran Kagura. Which one would you all suggest?

Neither is really all THAT musou, depends on what you want out of musou I guess. Both are good, I'd recommend picking them both up eventually if you like the characters. Nep U plays more like an HDN game than expected, visual style is all intact, more RPG elements than SK, and it focuses on mostly free-range quests instead of a linear story.

You should probably play Shinovi Versus before Estival though, especially if you have a PS4 because you won't want to go back.

Oh hey uh top of the page buy Axiom Verge and wait for that Nep Rebirth 3 LE...one is coming, right?

Isn't that better than the usual? The series doesn't seem to have much traction in Europe in the first place.

And speaking of Compile Heart. They just announced a thingy.

It's the same position Rebirth 2 and Hyperdevotion Noire charted at. I just would've expected a bit more from the spinoffs, since they're not just remakes of games people already played.

Was just kinda hoping it would chart better than Minecraft and FIFA, but I guess games like this stay niche on any console they release on. Omega Quintet didn't chart either.

Speaking of Compile Heart thingies, here's one we can talk about:

http://gematsu.com/2015/05/extreme-dimension-tag-blanc-neptune-vs-zombie-army-premise-detailed

Neptunia Zombie game detailed. Sounds cool.

SerTapTap

Not really much new info but I love the boss design, I hope there's actual particles for coins and dollars floating off him like that.

Oh I forgot that I read that earlier. Is that a hunting game? Sounds like it

It's sounding like that though I'm not sure if there's exact confirmation.

Oh I forgot that I read that earlier. Is that a hunting game? Sounds like it

Yeah, we don't know yet, but it's at least sounding like that with 4-player co-op. I remember the first gameplay footage having the goddesses fighting a large monster as well.

Gonna be interesting to see how it turns out, given that Tamsoft don't have a whole lot of experience in this area.

I'm interested though.

Dangit. Stealth Inc. 2 is not cross save and the first one was. At least the Vita is full featured with the level editor that runs perfectly. There is a whopping 23 custom levels. Maybe people should get the Wii U version where there is probably more custom levels. Should have started on Vita. :-(

R.I.P. Cross Save? Gotta be a lot of time spent on doing this.

SerTapTap

Dangit. Stealth Inc. 2 is not cross save and the first one was. At least the Vita is full featured with the level editor that runs perfectly. There is a whopping 23 custom levels. Maybe people should get the Wii U version where there is probably more custom levels. Should have started on Vita. :-(

R.I.P. Cross Save? Gotta be a lot of time spent on doing this.

I'm kinda soured on that game since they pretty much straight up admitted they pretend to be a wii u exclusive to squeeze more sales out of the platform. I'm sure they're not wrong, but it's still a gross thing to do both to Wii U owners and people who wanted to play on other platforms. That's AAA level scummery.

No cross save is disappointing, cross save, especially when it's automatic and flawless, is one of the most magical things.

I'm kinda soured on that game since they pretty much straight up admitted they pretend to be a wii u exclusive to squeeze more sales out of the platform. I'm sure they're not wrong, but it's still a gross thing to do both to Wii U owners and people who wanted to play on other platforms. That's AAA level scummery.

No cross save is disappointing, cross save, especially when it's automatic and flawless, is one of the most magical things.

And it backfired hard. The game sold about 1000 copies on Steam and I doubt it's much more on other platforms.

Agreed on cross save.

Yeah they added a throwing item mechanic which I am not sure they used the Wii U touch screen for or not. Not sure if you can use the touch screen on Vita for it. I would need to replay about an hour (due to no cross save) to find out as those items are unlocked later. Using the right stick isn't the best to aim item throwing but it hasn't relied on throwing items quickly yet.

Otherwise it is a good game but I am thinking so far the first one is better.

Rebuild your database, and see if everything still stays. It might be that you only got a part of it but all the icons showed up - it's happened before.

Also, it's why I don't use the full backup feature.

Rebuilt the database and it looked like only the saves and icons made it from my PC to the new card from the frozen Restore situation. So I had to re-download all the games plus the ones I could not fit on before too (that took a while).

Thankfully, my Trails in the Sky save seems good. But I am still not removing that from the 32GB card until I finish the game just in case it was corrupted at some point during the process.

Thanks for the help, now I know not to depend on the full Backup function of Content Manager.

SerTapTap

And it backfired hard. The game sold about 1000 copies on Steam and I doubt it's much more on other platforms.

Huh, didn't know that.

Agreed on cross save.

Yeah they added a throwing item mechanic which I am not sure they used the Wii U touch screen for or not. Not sure if you can use the touch screen on Vita for it. I would need to replay about an hour (due to no cross save) to find out as those items are unlocked later. Using the right stick isn't the best to aim item throwing but it hasn't relied on throwing items quickly yet.

Otherwise it is a good game but I am thinking so far the first one is better.

Throwing things in 2D puzzle platformers is usually kind of...the worst. Easily the worst part of Velocity 2X for example, that and labyrinth levels are really the only things that break the pacing for me.

Shizuka

Wow, that's incredibly low, to the point where I just had to confirm it on SteamSpy. That's a shame, I hope the team manages to recoup its losses somehow.

Wow, that's incredibly low, to the point where I just had to confirm it on SteamSpy. That's a shame, I hope the team manages to recoup its losses somehow.

Yeah that's where I got my number from :p
It didn't help that they launched the game as a "Humble Store exclusive" for a few weeks for some strange reason. In the end it seems like they wanted to experiment with the platforms for this game as much as possible and I guess they found out that it didn't work. Maybe the Wii U version did well enough though.

Throwing things in 2D puzzle platformers is usually kind of...the worst. Easily the worst part of Velocity 2X for example, that and labyrinth levels are really the only things that break the pacing for me.

Agreed. The physics aren't bad with Stealth 2 tho which makes throwing terrible. It isn't Trine level of terrible physics wonkyness or anything.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
The third game of the banned saga will be a drpg again, meh, i have to admit i was curious to see its take on another genre.

Prelude.

Another otome from Aksys, "Norn9: Var Commons"
vita exclusive for retail and digital

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/05/26/norn9-var-commons-coming-to-ps-vita-this-fall/

This is kinda weird, do otome games really sell that well in the west? I mean, for the amount of resources they have to put into translating something like a VN wouldn't it be better (and beneficial to said otome as a consequence) to bring something with a broader audience first? Why so many otome so fast?
Still, great news, the more VNs the merrier.

This is kinda weird, do otome games really sell that well in the west? I mean, for the amount of resources they have to put into translating something like a VN wouldn't it be better (and beneficial to said otome as a consequence) to bring something with a broader audience first? Why so many otome so fast?

Not sure, I know nothing about otome VNs to be honest. It seems like Aksys wants to fill that niche and since there aren't many other options they can be decently successful with it. There seems to be a lot of excitement around otome announcements. I do hope that it leads to other VN releases as well.

autoduelist

It's really sad that many people are so against touch minigames to dismiss the best looking and best performing musou game on Vita(exclusive, with character creation and packed with content other than being a lot of fun), but after all they dismiss the totally legit Uncharted GA for few swipes at the beginning, the only uncharted i found fun(i couldn't even finish UC1 and UC2 demos for how boring i found them), i guess it cannot be helped.

Gotta agree. I didn't find the touch games too bad, actually -- knock some arrows out of the sky, or iirc, shoot a mob of enemies coming at you. there wasn't too much of it, unless you hate it on principle.

The boss fights were really hard -until- you figured them out, then they were fine. I had an absolute blast with the game and did every piece of content except the ad hoc required stuff.

As for Uncharted GA, it's got the best rubbing minigame on vita.

SerTapTap

They seem to have been getting decent sales since the started actually localizing some, several companies have been trying lately at least. Lots of VNs hitting Steam too. Not my thing but cool to see niche stuff localized regardless of content.

It's really sad that many people are so against touch minigames to dismiss the best looking and best performing musou game on Vita(exclusive, with character creation and packed with content other than being a lot of fun), but after all they dismiss the totally legit Uncharted GA for few swipes at the beginning, the only uncharted i found fun(i couldn't even finish UC1 and UC2 demos for how boring i found them), i guess it cannot be helped.

Touch hate is a bit excessive, though I really do think GA had major problems due to the minigames, worst part was that even on a second playthrough they're not optional.

I actually prefer the touch melee stuff in KZ Mercenary to the QTEs they put in the PS TV version.

Zhao_Yun

Yep, right this one. After a while I gave up and leveled a bit before going back, but that was me being lazy.
I'm still impressed on how corrosivefrost managed to beat it on Fury mode.

Took me 4 tries but then I finally got it down! Most annoying part were the
snake heads <_<
I used up half of my healing items though but I don't care. How many bosses do I have left now?

maouvin

Took me 4 tries but then I finally got it down! Most annoying part were the
snake heads <_<
I used up half of my healing items though but I don't care. How many bosses do I have left now?

Cheers!

Each DLC have 3 bosses, but after that you can fight all of Momo's and Kisuke's bosses - and you need to do so to get the second ending.
The caves are unlocked too, but they're optional like always.

ZeroCoin

Saints Row 4 + Gat out of hell PS4 bundle on sale for $15.49? Currently cheaper than either of the individual games. Tempted to buy it before the PS+ discount comes around since it looks like it could be a price mistake.

Wish I could see what that LEGO Jurassic World pre-order theme looks like. How about instead of loading down the store with a bunch of shamelessly shitty themes they let us buy stuff like this, that'd be real swell.

SerTapTap

Wish I could see what that LEGO Jurassic World pre-order theme looks like. How about instead of loading down the store with a bunch of shamelessly shitty themes they let us buy stuff like this, that'd be real swell.

Can you filter by official game related themes only? That'd got a long way to making the theme store more browsable. I don't need to see 5000 sports team, country, hot babes, or cool skull themes.

Speaking of themes I need to get me a PSN yen card and decide which Neptunia theme to get. I also want the Hohokum and Transistor themes (how good are they?) but I can only use one at once. Been using the Axiom Verge one, for a slideshow-only one it's nice.

Saints Row 4 + Gat out of hell PS4 bundle on sale for $15.49? Currently cheaper than either of the individual games. Tempted to buy it before the PS+ discount comes around since it looks like it could be a price mistake.

If it's not a mistake, I'll probably be all over this

If it is a mistake, it will be fixed while I'm busy in a meeting, as usual

autoduelist

I just bought it, seems like a mistake since Gat out of Hell standalone is on sale for $15.99 lol

I just bought it too.

Oddly, when I searched for Saints Row on the web store, then filtered to PS4, 3 entries showed up - (re-elected, gat, bundle). Just as I was about to click on the bundle, the page reloaded and there were only two entries and I immediately thought they caught the error and took the bundle down... but the bundle was still one of the two options [reelected was gone iirc), so I bought the bundle.

I think it's almost certainly a price mistake too... and even if not, still a good price for a game i wanted to play.

Hikami

Also PS+ discount on Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines ($14.99).

How long of a game is that one?
The game didn't have a way to view playtime so I'm not 100% sure but it took me like 40~50 hours to beat it.
You could go for longer or shorter though depending on the difficulty you choose.

Can you filter by official game related themes only? That'd got a long way to making the theme store more browsable. I don't need to see 5000 sports team, country, hot babes, or cool skull themes.

I dunno. I get that it's a pre-order exclusive theme though, so those are reasonably not available. It would be nice to at least see what they look like though.

autoduelist

Also PS+ discount on Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines ($14.99).

How long of a game is that one?

The 'difficulty' setting is more of a 'how long is the game' setting. Some settings cause extremely fast 'leveling up' and such so that you have really strong children in much fewer generations, the other setting you need to survive for far longer building up your team [there are other differences as well].

I picked the longest setting and really enjoyed the game, though burnt out before i completed it (but plan on going back). Burn out wasn't entirely the games fault.

One really nice thing about the game is that even though your children have lifespans (and thus can do a limited number of things during their life), no tasks/missions/goals have timers so if you want you can spend in game years just exploring or doing whatever before you attempt a mission that moves the game forward.

i highly recommend focusing on AOE classes as they speed up combat considerably. Iirc i went with a gunner (attacks all), an archer, and a martial artist on my second game (lost the first one since i never saved and didn't realize there was no autosave).

ZeroAKA

EDBmVBs.gif

Sorry for neglecting my duties and not updating the OP, guys
(all 2 of you who read it for things other than GotM winner)
. I just got back from my vacation in France and Italy a few hours ago. And now with that out of the way...

ibubWXwd7NiO06.png

Game of the Month voting is starting! You may vote for one Vita/PS4/PS3 game that was released in America or Europe in the month of May. You can either PM me on GAF or tweet/DM me on Twitter (@whoiszero). Please format the PM as shown below, or your PM may be ignored:
Subject: PSN GotM - <insert game title here>
Body: (optional - brief comment on why should people play this game or why this game deserves to be GotM)

Skyzard

Banned
2.5 GB for octodad...come on, vita memory is damn precious and I have a 64GB card...can't do it I don't think. Really want to though.

By any chance is that the PS4 size and they just copied it over...?

-----soooo..... they linked the PS4 version on the US blog.

Vita version is 3.1 GB.

ZeroAKA

Random question, but does anyone know of any good image hosts? I might move my banners to a new site for next month because Minus is becoming increasingly garbage.

Top Bottom