• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | May 2015

Shizuka

I'm sorry to be sharing this, but a thread popped up in the gaming section about Sony giving 'legacy' support for Vita and PS TV going forward :l. I honestly don't understand what it means, but I think it means that Sony is 'done' making first party software completely :(.

Granted, this shouldn't be any major news, as we all knew that Oreshika is the 'final' first party Vita game released, but at least we know for sure that Sony is 'done' with the Vita :l.

Sorry to be sharing this with you all X(.

No skin off my back, as long as the japanese third-party companies are still onboard.

50ppp TOTP: Pre-order Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy (Vita).

Tapejara

I'm sorry to be sharing this, but a thread popped up in the gaming section about Sony giving 'legacy' support for Vita and PS TV going forward :l. I honestly don't understand what it means, but I think it means that Sony is 'done' making first party software completely :(.

Granted, this shouldn't be any major news, as we all knew that Oreshika is the 'final' first party Vita game released, but at least we know for sure that Sony is 'done' with the Vita :l.

Sony's handling of the Vita will continue to be one of the most frustrating moments in gaming for me.

Hikami

I honestly don't understand what it means, but I think it means that Sony is 'done' making first party software completely :(.

Pretty much, but basically this:
Japanese games and localizations aren't going anywhere so it's not like anyone that cares about the platform cares about what House thinks about it.

Doesn't really bother me if the first party games are gone. I mainly bought a Vita just for the Japanese third party games and there are plenty of those still coming out.

jvm

Gamasutra.

PSV is now retro. Sooner than I'd have liked, but there it is.

pariah164

I never did buy Oreshika. I won't for a while; I have 4 games on reserve right now, and more to come.

Zhao_Yun

All in all, he is just saying what we knew for a long time already. Apart from Indies the Vita is dead to Western devs but it is doing fine in Japan and Asia. As long as all the Japanese games continue to be localized, nothing will change in the near future.

Vylash

honestly who cares, we're still getting gravity rush and 3rd party jp games will continue to get released and localized so none of this really matters

VLiberty

As long as it gets indie games I'm perfectly fine. Though I'm already starting to see those becoming fewer as time goes on, between announced games that get canned/undefinitely delayed, and new games that get announced as PS4-only releases(while they would've easily got a Vita announcement last year).

bw, I'll be there till the end. :)

RK128

Just really happy that Japanese developers and publishers like Bamco are still supporting the Vita with high quality tittles (loved SAO:HF and really enjoy what I am playing of One Piece UAR so far :D).

I feel that it is nice that Sony is flat out saying this; it gives some closure on things regarding Sony's efforts in supporting the Vita.

I just hope that this doesn't effect their publishing, pub-fund and co-developing with Indie developers; they are a big reason (alongside PS1/PSP Classics and JP 3rd Party) that the Vita is still around today, so if they are left in the cold, then that creates a big problem.

Thankfully, that isn't the case right now :) (with them working on getting PS4 indie tittles like Axom Verge on to the Vita and other Indie dev's bringing their Indie's to the Vita; a great example is Octodad, as that just came to the Vita yesterday :D).

Tapejara

I think I'm more curious about what this means for the Vita in terms of Sony's Third Party Productions team. They had a good showing at PSX with plenty of ports scheduled (still hyped for RE:Rev2!), but going forward will Sony take an active roll in bringing these games to Vita? I have no doubt that PS4 is the primary focus of Third Party Production - though that leave the future of initiatives like #BuildingTheList up in the air, specifically when they relate to the Vita.

The Vita has been ignored by Western divisions of Sony since its launch.

Nothing to see here, move on.

RK128

I think I'm more curious about what this means for the Vita in terms of Sony's Third Party Productions team. They had a good showing at PSX with plenty of ports scheduled (still hyped for RE:Rev2!), but going forward will Sony take an active roll in bringing these games to Vita? I have no doubt that PS4 is the primary focus of Third Party Production - though that leave the future of initiatives like #BuildingTheList up in the air, specifically when they relate to the Vita.

Its still possible that they would be responsible for cross-ported tittles; stuff like Revelations 2 is still coming to Vita and the rumored Xcom and Civilization ports could come from them too :).

I think we should wait until E3 in fully understanding what this means for the Third Party Productions team and Sony's relations to Indie developers; things could just be like how they always been or somethings change :l.

I don't want to bring negativity to the thread, so do you guys want me to delete the original post?

Its still possible that they would be responsible for cross-ported tittles; stuff like Revelations 2 is still coming to Vita and the rumored Xcom and Civilization ports could come from them too :).

I think we should wait until E3 in fully understanding what this means for the Third Party Productions team and Sony's relations to Indie developers; things could just be like how they always been or somethings change :l.

I don't want to bring negativity to the thread, so do you guys want me to delete the original post?

Revelations 2 is being ported by Frima Games, not SCEA/SCEE.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The Vita has been ignored by Western divisions of Sony since its launch.

Nothing to see here, move on.

Been ignored by western consumers as well here. I really can't blame Sony for any of their actions in the west as far as the Vita goes. I may have mumbled and grumbled that they didn't focus on the thing during e3 but the sales were so bad even at the very beginning that they largely did the right thing and just rode it out. They even have done a decent job in recent memory regarding localizations and catering to fan whims when it comes to retail releases on games that frankly they shouldn't bother with.

Been ignored by western consumers as well here. I really can't blame Sony for any of their actions in the west as far as the Vita goes. I may have mumbled and grumbled that they didn't focus on the thing during e3 but the sales were so bad even at the very beginning that they largely did the right thing and just rode it out. They even have done a decent job in recent memory regarding localizations and catering to fan whims when it comes to retail releases on games that frankly they shouldn't bother with.

No marketing will do that; it's mid-2015 and most people still have no idea what a Vita is, let alone what it can do.

Nothing will change, Sony just made it clear so people know they don't give a fuck anymore.

I do wonder if they will just stop selling it in the west, that could hurt localizations I guess.

Zhao_Yun

Nothing will change, Sony just made it clear so people know they don't give a fuck anymore.

I do wonder if they will just stop selling it in the west, that could hurt localizations I guess.

I wouldn't be too worried since probably most fans of niche Japanese games own a Vita already. Besides, Vita localizations seem to be profitable even on the current userbase or otherwise they would have stopped localizing them by now,

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I wouldn't be too worried since probably most fans of niche Japanese games own a Vita already. Besides, Vita localizations seem to be profitable even on the current userbase or otherwise they would have stopped localizing them by now,

Probably keep getting more and more digital only, I'd imagine.

Prelude.

Probably keep getting more and more digital only, I'd imagine.
They're getting more and more physical, though. The smaller the publisher, the higher the chance it'll be physical. Even Bamco is releasing them now. And even Corpse Party is getting a physical relase. (if I'm remembering corretly, didn't someone from XSEED heavily hinted at that?)

omg_mjd

How does Region 3 PSN look these days? Probably makes sense to make an account there if that's where future (English-localized) Vita support is going to come from right? Good thing our faithful little Vita-chan isn't region locked.

Shizuka

They're getting more and more physical, though. The smaller the publisher, the higher the chance it'll be physical. Even Bamco is releasing them now. And even Corpse Party is getting a physical relase. (if I'm remembering corretly, didn't someone from XSEED heavily hinted at that?)

Blood Drive (and its retail print) have only been hinted at, never confirmed. Honestly, I have my opinion that XSEED changed stances regarding physical prints after they changed CEOs.

Tohsaka

How does Region 3 PSN look these days? Probably makes sense to make an account there if that's where future (English-localized) Vita support is going to come from right? Good thing our faithful little Vita-chan isn't region locked.

I don't think there will be too many Asian English games that don't make their way to the west, other than the last (and probably next) Genkai Tokki game from Compile Heart. Nothing else that would really require censorship that would be too much of a hassle for them to localize. Their other two upcoming Vita exclusives (Death Under the Labyrinth and Makai Shin Trillion) seem fairly tame.

I really hope a future update cuts down on the length of time the screenshot notification stays on screen (or changes the functionality to not display on-screen system prompts at all).

RK128

:').....Great seeing the massive library that the Vita continually gets; tons and tons of games out already alongside literary tons more coming along the way :D.

I personally can't wait for Half Genie Hero, as not only is the Shantae series great but it will be the Genies grand introduction into the world of PlayStation :D. The game will pop off of the Vita screen with its visuals :).

autoduelist

Playing Mind Zero... It's okay. I'm actually shocked that this game creates such passionate defense and loathing. It's very mediocre so far.

I don't really think there is 'passionate' defense, so much as people (like me and shizuka) that come to it's defense when people (some who barely even played it, or didn't play it at all) call it trash [or worse]. It got a ton of heat for not being Persona.

I absolutely agree it's got mediocre written all over it. But it does have a solid combat system that stays engaging throughout -- something that many 'better' games can't say. It gets a lot wrong, but it's nowhere near as bad as some make it out to be and was, overall, a pleasant platinum. But it's not Persona, which for some reason it got labeled as before it even came out.

I played some of Mind Zero, the problem I had is how bland everything was imo.

but yeah I agree that it's not terrible from the time I had with it, I just moved to other games.

I don't really think there is 'passionate' defense, so much as people (like me and shizuka) that come to it's defense when people (some who barely even played it, or didn't play it at all) call it trash [or worse]. It got a ton of heat for not being Persona.

I absolutely agree it's got mediocre written all over it. But it does have a solid combat system that stays engaging throughout -- something that many 'better' games can't say. It gets a lot wrong, but it's nowhere near as bad as some make it out to be and was, overall, a pleasant platinum. But it's not Persona, which for some reason it got labeled as before it even came out.

I agree that that's a big reason why people don't like it, but it's easy to see why everyone makes that comparison on the surface. So far there are some similarities, particularly in the designs for two characters. I'm sure the differences become clearer further into the game, but at first the game sort of invites the comparison.

I'm not especially impressed by the combat, but it's not horrible or anything. I'll probably see this through to the end of the story at the very least.

Tapejara

Blood Drive (and its retail print) have only been hinted at, never confirmed. Honestly, I have my opinion that XSEED changed stances regarding physical prints after they changed CEOs.

If only that CEO switch happened before they released Orgarhythm. Would have loved to get a cart version of that.

Also, XSEED's decision to go towards limited retail prints was a great idea. Glad they're able to do that for most games.

Tizoc

How many times do I have to say this?
The Vita is too good for your Gamescoms and E3s
Games get announced outside such events.

Also when are the Crash and Spyro games gonna be Vita compatible for us US peeps Actishit?

Top Bottom