• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after about a zillion tests last night I've pretty much eliminated any drift and tracking issues for me, outside of when the game itself moves the game world (why?) In some games when you move your head forward or too far off to the sides before you go out of play.

Lights.

Lights on seems to help with the camera maintaining focus so you aren't pulsing in and out. I get no swimming, not even a minor once in a while jitter from the headset. Rock solid all night. Never had to reset anything.

Move still is hit or miss but for some reason some games handle it better and others don't. Tumble handles move flawlessly while Until Dawn still has a lot of stutter. Still some pulsing in and out on the Dualshock.

But most important is head tracking. No pulsing. Can be dead still and move around without issue.

It was always about 90-95% for me but last night was the first night I had no issues for the entire night.

To note: lights were also visible in-game above and behind me. I have a dimmer switch in the office so I set it to about 35%

To help with bleed I stopped the goggles a few clicks from my face, reached in and brought the inside lip flush against my face, then moved it in where I like it to create a seal around my face. No VR face afterwards, the rubber boot is soft enough. The only real issue is fogging of the lenses. I didn't do it at the top to help prevent it. I would think a tiny exhaust fan at the top to pull air out would help.

If any brand makes aftermarket rubber boots I'll mod one for airflow. Nothing extreme. I'd like to see more movement in VR with anti-fog goodies in the future.

But, rock solid, nonetheless. To note: I never had extreme swimmyness or jitter with the headset, it was fine 90% of the time but at least a few times every session I would get some pulsing for a split second randomly. Not after this. So I will try again today to see if it holds up.

Also, Battlezone really opens up late game. I still haven't completed a campaign yet but I'm getting closer each play through.

Soi-Fong

For RIGS veterans... should I play with right stick or headturn. Last option is faster,but makes me dizzy..,

Go with what doesn't make you dizzy.

Now that I've got PSVR. I've no interest in 2D gaming. Anyone else?

Played BF1 yesterday on PC and while the game is really beautiful, I'm in the same boat. It's really just much more of the same thing.

VR really adds something new to games that I can't get anywhere else.

Last night PSVR day 2 changed position of PS camera to top of tv and setup Move controllers. I played TumbleVR this time with the Move controller it was glorious no tremble flawless control. Slowly making my way through all the demos before moving onto PS Worlds.

Ozorov

Last night PSVR day 2 changed position of PS camera to top of tv and setup Move controllers. I played TumbleVR this time with the Move controller it was glorious no tremble flawless control. Slowly making my way through all the demos before moving onto PS Worlds.

How do you people keep it staying on the top of the TVs? I guess you're not playing on CRT-TVs :D

This is me, I was a nightly Destiny player and I can't be bothered. DQ builders? Ehhh if rather play Robot Rescue for the 9th time.

Very weird but my brain craves the depth and feelings you get inside VR. Other games feel flat and lifeless.

LiK

Angry Joe did a pretty good fair reviews for both the headset and 9 launch games. Def worth a watch if you're on the fence or already own it. I hope he checks out Rez Infinite.

tr00per

BTW. Anyone else notice then you go to the Playstation Store in VR the VR game cover art are in 3D. That's a very nice touch.

Does it really? I'll have to try that.

As much as I like having the familiar menu to use I was hoping that they would have made a special VR menu. Something like littlestar mixed with vrideo.

Speaking of vrideo I would recommend anyone with a weak vr tolerance to avoid it for the time being, as you never know what the videos will be like they set off some sickness for me this morning which caused me to have to quit. And after seeing some videos with real people I can see what the other user was referring to with giant people. Kinda eerie

I hate to admit it but yes. It's almost sucked the joy out of real life haha. Cinematic mode is a happy medium for some games though.

Hey thanks for the feedback! I figured it might be useful for something like that. I realized after working in VR for 6 months nothing makes any of us queasy. Maybe that's why ;)

You're welcome. I wrote a lot more in my original post :/ I hope I can build my tolerance up soon. Creating in vr must be a really cool experience.

Wollan

Pretty sexy boxart for Robinson The Journey. Will it become the best selling PSVR game this year?
815PYFG6rKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

DerekNYC

Pretty sexy boxart for Robinson The Journey. Will it become the best selling PSVR game this year?

Much less excited about this game after learning it doesnt use the Move controllers. Games with the DS4 aren't nearly as immersive. Plus the character is basically holding a Move in the game, wtf!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Anybody buy the full version of Tumble VR? How lengthy is the game?

rSpooky

How do you people keep it staying on the top of the TVs? I guess you're not playing on CRT-TVs :D

I just put together a small piece of wood (plank) with two brackets that lean on the back of the TV keeping it stable . The camera rests on that. Looks crap but works.
I will make a nice version that blends in better or a wall mount sometime later.

robotrock

Banned
What, how? I have Sennheiser 558s, which are practically the same shape, and I most certainly can't wear them with the PSVR, there simply isn't enough room between my ears and the PSVR's headband.

I've got no idea, that's interesting to know. Maybe my head is just small.

My PSVR headband sits up a good bit above my ears so I can easily get the overear headphones in place.

iratA

I'd love to know its rough length/replay value.

But yeah lets not kid ourselves, if you are getting the PRO and have a PSVR this is surely going to be a must buy pickup on PRO's launch day!

iratA

Anybody buy the full version of Tumble VR? How lengthy is the game?

Honestly I think its better value than Hypercube. Its quite meaty with 60ish missions (haven't finished it yet) each with multiple awards to earn/go back to etc. Plenty of variety in the types of puzzles and its one third the price of Hypercube (at least in my region). Solid all round just not the most "immersive" VR experience IMO.

Apenheul

After a week with PSVR, playing all available demos and some of the games I bought I spent the most time with Thumper and Tumble. They're basically a rhythmic automatic runner and simplified Boom Blox VR but I can play those for quite a while without ever feeling dizzy. I also really liked Alumette and hope we can expect more of this type of content. I don't know whether I'll use the PSVR much until Robinson The Journey arrives but I've been pretty satisfied with its launch lineup.

Even though I was really disappointed with Driveclub VR when Sony demoed it I still bought it because I wanted a racer for my Trustmaster T300, the force feedback implementation is pretty bad though so I really hope GT Sports is where console VR racing really takes off.

No joke it looks sloppy I centered my seating position in the living room and used painters tape to lean the PS camera just over the edge of the tv. Still testing what works and what does not.

Slixshot

Banned
For RIGS veterans... should I play with right stick or headturn. Last option is faster,but makes me dizzy..,

Headturn and adjust the settings to your comfort level. i find that the combination of turn angle and turn speed is a game changer in terms of comfort level.

This is very nice! I would have thought more dinosaurs on the box would help this game sell a little better though...

PBY

Banned
Does anyone feel like these VR games are... too expensive? I guess its hard to make back investment costs when the install base is still growing.

Glix

Does anyone feel like these VR games are... too expensive? I guess its hard to make back investment costs when the install base is still growing.

No.

My favorite games for it are

Thumper
Until Dawn
Batman
Res
Gunjack.

All of them are priced well.

Rigs is great too and has tons of content and online so its worth its asking price as well.

PBY

Banned
No.

My favorite games for it are

Thumper
Until Dawn
Batman
Res
Gunjack.

All of them are priced well.

Rigs is great too and has tons of content and online so its worth its asking price as well.

That does seem fine...The 60$ stuff seems pushing it to me, like Robinson and Eve

tr1p1ex

Today is Day 3 PSVR for me.

AS cool as the tech is I was more excited about BF1 launching last night.

I think VR could be really cool for games in the future. But the experience needs to be much simpler and more soothing.

I played Until Dawn And BattleZone. Until Dawn is them showing off visual effects. It feels like a virtual amusement park ride. Graphics are all cool, but I was bored.

BattleZone really makes you feel like you are piloting a hovercraft bumper car in a big arena. It's cool, and fun. But it isn't soothing to the senses as with almost VR stuff.

It's like 3d on the 3ds x 10. 3d mode on the 3ds is cool, but I find that its hard on the eyes and your eyes love it when you switch back to 2d after awhile. VR is like that for me.

Glix

That does seem fine...The 60$ stuff seems pushing it to me, like Robinson and Eve

Yeah Robinson, Eve, and Battlezone are kinda scary at full price, but I think they could still be an okay value. I'm gonna wait for a PSN sale for Eve and Battlezone probably.

I got paid today and I think I'm gonna pick up VR Worlds. I really enjoyed the Heist and Underwater demos and the pong game sounds really cool too.

Got around to playing London Heist. Had way more fun with it than I expected too.

Absolutely loved how you can not only light your cigar in the beginning, but actually smoke it as you would in real life.

As you exhale in real life, you can see the smoke being exhaled in front of you. Blew my freakin' mind.

iratA

Got around to playing London Heist. Had way more fun with it than I expected too.

Absolutely loved how you can not only light your cigar in the beginning, but actually smoke it as you would in real life.

As you exhale in real life, you can see the smoke being exhaled in front of you. Blew my freakin' mind.

Yep its very simple yet clever use of the tech. Started smoking like an addict lol.

Slixshot

Banned
Yeah Robinson, Eve, and Battlezone are kinda scary at full price, but I think they could still be an okay value. I'm gonna wait for a PSN sale for Eve and Battlezone probably.

I got paid today and I think I'm gonna pick up VR Worlds. I really enjoyed the Heist and Underwater demos and the pong game sounds really cool too.

As someone who got VR Worlds with the demo: expect it to be more of a showcase. Dangerball is dope, but the rest are things you'll likely do once. Not sure if it's worth your $40 if you already have other games.

Soi-Fong

I'll keep preaching it: mess with the settings! Turn speed, turn angle and dead zone all make using headturn the best option and I haven't gotten motion sick once in my hours of playing.

Edit: here's my highlight second match from the other day. As you can see, swift and quick.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jENz6a_uZ9Q

Wish I can use head turn. It just makes me so sick. I've tried different settings too. I have to stick to stick.

I think the problem for me with headturn is using it to turn my focus is not in the center of the screen but the side which messes with my head.

Kotaku has a nice bit on Eagle Flight ... I'm hoping it has Pro support on this PSVR: http://kotaku.com/eagle-flight-is-the-vr-experience-i-was-hoping-for-1788064009

Out of the lineup of announced and released games this is the one I'm looking forward to the most. I don't like multiplayer games, well not for extended play which this mainly is but I just want it for the free flight mode.

Kind of a strange decision for so many devs/publishers to release multiplayer heavy games for a new platform at lunch which will divide the player base ultimately weakening the overall experience of the games due to there not being that many players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom