• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyolux

Holoball, Gary and Pinball are out on the US store.

30% discount for holo, 10$ instead of 15$

Definitely picking up Holoball.

Don't see Gary on the store in Canada.

Picked up Holoball and Proton Pulse. ($13-14 each in CDN)

Tempted by the pinball game too. But I'll wait on feedback for that first. Anyone getting it?

oatmeal

Banned
Side note

I received the Pro yesterday. Tried a few games.

Until Dawn: Definite lighting improvement. Casts accurate shadows and adds a lot to it.

Playroom VR: Much cleaner looking. Really nice, I would be fine with this level of clarity going forward.

Grinchy

Banned
Anyone know how far away you need to be for Holoball to work? Worried I might not have enough space

It wanted me further back than any other PSVR game yet. It's even further back than Job Simulator.

Luckily, I have the room and this game seems really fucking sweet already! You can use 2 Move controllers to have 2 paddles. You can do these crazy serves where you tap the ball with one paddle, then hold the trigger to magnetize to it, and pull the ball back towards you to then smack it with your other paddle. It feels so damn intuitive and so damn cool.

There's a shitload of sunlight in my living room atm though, unfortunately. So the tracking is giving me a lot of wobble that probably won't be present when I play later tonight. I want to keep playing but the wobble is keeping me away.

Flandy

It wanted me further back than any other PSVR game yet. It's even further back than Job Simulator.

Luckily, I have the room and this game seems really fucking sweet already! You can use 2 Move controllers to have 2 paddles. You can do these crazy serves where you tap the ball with one paddle, then hold the trigger to magnetize to it, and pull the ball back towards you to then smack it with your other paddle. It feels so damn intuitive and so damn cool.

There's a shitload of sunlight in my living room atm though, unfortunately. So the tracking is giving me a lot of wobble that probably won't be present when I play later tonight. I want to keep playing but the wobble is keeping me away.
Could you measure it out? I only have 6 feet to work with

My wallet! My backlog! Oy vey!

oubM1tKqnLW5G.gif

I started playing Bound this morning..bought it when the headset came out.
Not sure what good there is to say about it other than it looks really sharp and makes me want more third person VR games.

On its own its a pretty boring game. I guess its supposed to be more of an abstract experience that is not subtle at all about its underlying theme but man..coulda made that point in 20 minutes. Not sure what all the simple traversal's point is.

The pricing on Pinball seems sketchy.
15 bucks for the base game.
25 bucks for "levels"
Its letting me buy the levels and i dont even own the base game...

Grinchy

Banned
Could you measure it out? I only have 6 feet to work with

The setup asks for 6-8 feet, but I personally stood back almost a full 8 feet. I don't think you have to get exactly into the little silhouette when you're setting up. I have to imagine that I was at the max distance they'd ever want.

If you can be a full 6 feet away from the camera and you can have your camera kinda high up and slightly angled downward, my quick assumption is that you'd be fine. I can't really say for sure because I haven't messed with distances yet.

Just checking out at the PSN and my total was $25.46. Almost a perfect match to my 25 dollar PSN credits. Nothing I hate more than adding 5 dollars to the wallet so I can cover the lesser amount.

So I bought that dudes game thats always posting here. Viva Vivo. Wallet Balance = 0.00. Thanks!

sourc3d

So holoball supports second player via controller where they take over control of the AI player!!!!

From the reddit treefortressgames ama thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/5e5aqt/we_are_treefortress_creators_of_holoball_ama/

holoball_ama.JPG

No date for this in the UK/EU yet? EDIT: Just spotted it in the same thread "It's coming tmrw in NA and Nov 29th in EU."

Also saw on PS EU Blog that PinballVr dated as 30th November for UK/EU, so perhaps if we're a week behind on these releases.

How is Trackmania in VR?

Honestly, it made sick. There's no first person interior view so i guess that's why it makes me sick. The camera moves when you take a jump and this is where i said to myself, stop.

But, if you can play it go for it because it's amazing and it's free anyway with Trackmania Turbo game which is discounted this week.

I can't recommend Trackmania Turbo enough, it's really an amazing arcade game. For those who are looking for a fix from those 90's SEGA and Namco games, buy Trackmania !!!!!!! Just do it !!!! You wont regret it one bit !

Kyolux

So holoball supports second player via controller where they take over control of the AI player!!!!

From the reddit treefortressgames ama thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/5e5aqt/we_are_treefortress_creators_of_holoball_ama/

holoball_ama.JPG

No date for this in the UK/EU yet? EDIT: Just spotted it in the same thread "It's coming tmrw in NA and Nov 29th in EU."

Also saw on PS EU Blog that PinballVr dated as 30th November for UK/EU, so perhaps if we're a week behind on these releases.

Didn't know about local multiplayer. Will have to try it next time I have someone over.

So havent kept up really since first few weeks of launch. But been maybe eyeing getting one of these. I have a ps4 slim, but is everyone still very lukewarm on PSVR?

HotHamBoy

I just made a thread for Pinball FX2 VR, which just launched for PS VR today with 9 tables.

This is what I've been waiting for so time to start saving for my own headset, I guess.

Holoball is as lifeless and boring as the trailer made it out to be. I literally just stood in one place, one position and scores 85 in a row in some arcade mode. Good thing i didnt pay real money for this

Kyolux

Holoball is as lifeless and boring as the trailer made it out to be. I literally just stood in one place, one position and scores 85 in a row in some arcade mode. Good thing i didnt pay real money for this

What difficulty was that? The game is supposed to get you moving. Sucks if it's that stationary. Did you play with moves?

Grinchy

Banned
What difficulty was that? The game is supposed to get you moving. Sucks if it's that stationary. Did you play with moves?

He played the Arcade mode called Zen. It lets you just hit the ball against the wall as many times as you can without screwing up and letting it zip past you.

It's a side mode that you play if you are bored of the real game, I guess.

ProTip: Don't play a mode called "Zen" if you're looking for excitement. Zen mode is about beiing calm, taking in the world, and just escaping for a bit.

Beat the campaign in Hard mode and tell me you stood in one place :p

Kyolux

He played the Arcade mode called Zen. It lets you just hit the ball against the wall as many times as you can without screwing up and letting it zip past you.

It's a side mode that you play if you are bored of the real game, I guess.

Hah. Well then worries gone. :)

Regarding Until Dawn....I still own my OG PS4 and don't see any differences on Pro.

Patch notes says it's not patched. Could it be a placebo thing?

Looking at Until Dawn or Until Dawn Rush of Blood? If the former. Yeah, there's no pro patch for it. For the latter, there is.

Yeah I wonder if he'll ever come back and give impressions of the real game after giving it 10 seconds lol

I could have given you impressions when I posted that but I went on to play other things.

I tried 3 modes. Campaign, Zen and I think it was Score Attack..didnt try Endurance. I guess the game is worth 10 dollars...but I would rather just keep playing Danger Ball.

I used two Move Controllers..not sure what the other one is for other than it being a second comically oversized racket. There seems to be a mechanic where if the ball gets caught in limbo you can hit the trigger and it will warp to you. It was never explained..just kinda happened for me.

Tried the game at different height and distance settings. The ball always starts way to close to you. It's either in your face or in front of your dick. You are completely stationary the ball almost always comes within arms reach of you. If you consider "moving around" just twisting your wrists to do a backhand or whatever than okay...you should get outside and take a walk.

Graphics are kind of lame. I think the court vibrates to the music..which seems to be the same 80s guitar synth solo over and over again..so the vibration makes the game look kinda fuzzy. If you turn around you see a car...and that's pretty much it.

The PSVR reddit was hyping this game so I got it. Not too upset, it was 10 dollars of free money but I should have probably waited. Cant see playing this when Danger Ball has the hit balls against a wall genre locked down.

So havent kept up really since first few weeks of launch. But been maybe eyeing getting one of these. I have a ps4 slim, but is everyone still very lukewarm on PSVR?
What do you mean still lukewarm?

Look at how fast this thread moves compared to other VR threads. That should tell you something.

Honestly, it made sick. There's no first person interior view so i guess that's why it makes me sick. The camera moves when you take a jump and this is where i said to myself, stop.

But, if you can play it go for it because it's amazing and it's free anyway with Trackmania Turbo game which is discounted this week.

I can't recommend Trackmania Turbo enough, it's really an amazing arcade game. For those who are looking for a fix from those 90's SEGA and Namco games, buy Trackmania !!!!!!! Just do it !!!! You wont regret it one bit !

I will keep that in mind. I already have it for Xbox One but I thought it might be fun to play in VR.

Holoball needs a demo so we can see if everyone's particular home setups have space for it.

It tells you to have like 8 feet of space..
Now I can do that. I have two cameras. One stationary under the TV and one on a tripod I use for when people are over and we can have the VR person not sitting in front of the TV. With that tripod'd camera I can put like 15 feet between itself and the camera.

Well I didn't feel like doing that today and I just used the camera under my TV..which is at most 5 feet away from where I was standing. The game tracked everything perfect fine.
You don't need to be in some warehouse to play this thing..the ball is always within arms reach.

gcubed

There isn't any pro support for Until Dawn.

There is for Rush of Blood.

yeah, rush of blood was a very noticeable upgrade. Honestly, the Pro outside of VR definitely cleans things up a lot, i like how it looks, but the real difference in VR is pretty exciting to me... things have gotten so much clearer and cleaner looking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom