• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up HoloBall with the PSN coupon. Like the other guy said, the Ball Starts to close to your face. However, the tracking of the Move controller is pretty damn good. It registers my top spin, slicing like I was in a Tennis Match.

Pricing is cool for very little content, without the coupon I would have been there on FlashSale day.

I just played a little bit, had no idea what I was doing. Going to give it a real go later. Eyes are tired.

Just one quick thing I noticed that I feel like I have never "felt" in any game..the way you make the controller vibrate is really interesting. It's like this tight ticking sound/feeling.

-EDIT-
Happy to support by the way.
I am not good with looking at the names of people who post so when the other guy laughed at me for not knowing who you were I was like should I know this guy.
Next thing I see is a thread about the Rez Area X theme. So I am aware now!!

slash3584

So finally my PSVR arrived and WOW.

Never experienced VR before but this is some next level stuff.

That said, after playing a few of the demos I got to say that most games going for "realistic" graphics look pretty crappy (Eve, London Heist, and specially RoB)

But the ones that have a more "videogamey" approach look great (Battlezone, Playroom VR, Thumper)

I still have to tweak and set up a proper enviroment to play as this was just for tests, but as a VR noob I have some questions:

It's normal that the lower part of the headset never really covers my face? What I mean is that If I look down I can see past the headset to the floor or whatever. I tried to set it as close as possible to my face but there still a gap.

This only happened with the PS VR demo disc, but there were some instances of the floating controller moving foward and backwards on it's own. Has someone experienced something similar?

Fisty

That said, after playing a few of the demos I got to say that most games going for "realistic" graphics look pretty crappy (Eve, London Heist, and specially RoB)

But the ones that have a more "videogamey" approach look great (Battlezone, Playroom VR, Thumper)

I still have to tweak and set up a proper enviroment to play as this was just for tests, but as a VR noob I have some questions:

It's normal that the lower part of the headset never really covers my face? What I mean is that If I look down I can see past the headset to the floor or whatever. I tried to set it as close as possible to my face but there still a gap.

This only happened with the PS VR demo disc, but there were some instances of the floating controller moving foward and backwards on it's own. Has someone experienced something similar?

Make sure you have the headband set like a crown, not like a baseball cap. Lots of folks seat the headband too low which will allow a lot of light bleed from the bottom. It'll put the goggles really tight on your face and you'll be able to eliminate most of it.

The controller moving is tracking issues, make sure you have a good room set up and the camera has full view of you and the controller's light. Also try lowering lights, closing blinds, and cover any reflective surfaces that may be mirroring your Move lights

23qwerty

Try putting the back part of the headset higher on the back of your head

Yep, it's pretty amazing!

re: graphics in RoB and London Heist - they are very much improved when using the Pro. Still waiting on the Pro patch for EVE.

this made me lol

Grinchy

Banned
Damn, Bound in VR on the Pro looks insane. I've never seen image quality that crisp in VR.

You know how in some games you can lean forward and get close to an object and it gets really crisp? The whole screen looks like that in Bound (on the Pro, at least). Then you add in the art style and it's just wow.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
How long are they at this price?

29th, I think.

Speaking of Holoball, I played some more.

Definitely a fun game. Its not a huge epic saga, but its not meant to be. Its first and foremost a score attack game, that does its job very well to be honest. On the higher difficulty levels, things become rather tricky and you need to learn to place your shots pretty accurately, which makes for a cool easy pickup/hard to master balance.

I'd definitely recommend picking it up for your library if that "smack ball around" niche isnt filled for you yet.

Also not sure how the other poster got the idea you can just stand around and wiggle your wrist a bit to play the game, you need to move your arm quite a bit as the balls are intentionally placed up to the length of your extended arm.

The only issue is that it really needs a lot more space than any of the other psvr games. I'd estimate a good 3-4 metres from the TV.

... and that it released with Proton Pulse, where both games might lose some impact sales because of each other.

slash3584

Make sure you have the headband set like a crown, not like a baseball cap. Lots of folks seat the headband too low which will allow a lot of light bleed from the bottom. It'll put the goggles really tight on your face and you'll be able to eliminate most of it.

The controller moving is tracking issues, make sure you have a good room set up and the camera has full view of you and the controller's light. Also try lowering lights, closing blinds, and cover any reflective surfaces that may be mirroring your Move lights

Try putting the back part of the headset higher on the back of your head

Yep that did the trick!, also I re-calibrated both the PSVR and the camera and the problem with the controller is gone!

Thanks guys!

Yep, it's pretty amazing!

re: graphics in RoB and London Heist - they are very much improved when using the Pro. Still waiting on the Pro patch for EVE.l

Yeah I'm playing on a Pro but not the full versions, just the demos from the demo disc.

Probably they aren't updated with a Pro patch hehe. Either way played them again and they looked fine, might had something to do with calibration and putting on the headset correctly xD

valeu

holy moly. rush of blood is truly terrifying. just played level 3 and screamed so many times and i was begging like "please, please no more, no more...". for vr horror you can't cover your face and peak through your fingers like in a movie, you just sort of have to squint

Grinchy

Banned
Holoball's tracking is kinda pissing me off atm. I can start the game up and play a few rounds. But, every time, it just gets to a point where the world wobble gets out of control. Like if I try to take a step forward, it rocks back and forth while I do.

I waited until night time so I could rule the sunlight out as a variable, I've tried multiple heights for the camera and a few distances, turned the ps4 all the way off, unplugged the breakout box and PS4 for a minute, ect. Every time, the headset tracking goes to shit after playing a few rounds.

Also, the game does not let you record any gameplay, so I can't record a video to show what's going on. It feels like such an awesome game, and I really want to play it, but the wobble is making it unplayable for me.

Holoball's tracking is kinda pissing me off atm. I can start the game up and play a few rounds. But, every time, it just gets to a point where the world wobble gets out of control. Like if I try to take a step forward, it rocks back and forth while I do.

I waited until night time so I could rule the sunlight out as a variable, I've tried multiple heights for the camera and a few distances, turned the ps4 all the way off, unplugged the breakout box and PS4 for a minute, ect. Every time, the headset tracking goes to shit after playing a few rounds.

Also, the game does not let you record any gameplay, so I can't record a video to show what's going on. It feels like such an awesome game, and I really want to play it, but the wobble is making it unplayable for me.

Did you try recalibrating the PSVR lights again? Usually when the entire world wobbles its a sync problem with the gyros, I had it too and did a recalibration with the vr lights and it went away.

Edit: dp Dang it :p

Grinchy

Banned
Did you try recalibrating the PSVR lights again? Usually when the entire world wobbles its a sync problem with the gyros, I had it too and did a recalibration with the vr lights and it went away.

That's the very next thing I will try. I'm dying to actually get to play some of this.

I could also test from the Pro in the other room to see if it's happening there.

Fisty

Yep that did the trick!, also I re-calibrated both the PSVR and the camera and the problem with the controller is gone!

Thanks guys!

Yeah I'm playing on a Pro but not the full versions, just the demos from the demo disc.

Probably they aren't updated with a Pro patch hehe. Either way played them again and they looked fine, might had something to do with calibration and putting on the headset correctly xD

A good way to see if Until Dawn ROB is running the Pro version or not is to look at the doctor/carnival guy's face when he's talking to you.

Notice a lot of pixel shimmering and weird lines on the parts of his face that move? That's base hardware mode.

Face is clean with no shimmering around the mouth, eyes and chin? That's Pro baby

bumpkin

holy moly. rush of blood is truly terrifying. just played level 3 and screamed so many times and i was begging like "please, please no more, no more...". for vr horror you can't cover your face and peak through your fingers like in a movie, you just sort of have to squint
Hell yeah it is. I don't know how many times I jumped, swore and cringed while I was playing it. A certain part dropped me right into the middle of my worst fear and I freaked out.

...I also loved it!

Kyolux

Guys, avoid Proton Pulse for now.

The premise is cool. But at least with move controllers, it's infuriating. The game lets the ball go way beyond what it allows you to actually reach. Also, it pauses the game if you try to reach for the ball in the extremities, and forces you to recenter the world when you unpause. So if you try to block the ball out of reach, the game pauses, then puts you back centered (with you now unaligned with the camera) and then you lose a life because you didn't prevent it from going behind you.

While it has progress that holoball doesn't. Holoball works much better.

ZehDon

Ok, so The Brookhaven Experiment is up on the AU PSN Store. No idea when it got added, but it was one I had seen footage of, and looked kinda interesting. Any impressions for it? I loved Rush of Blood, and more shooty goodness would be a treat!

Ok, so The Brookhaven Experiment is up on the AU PSN Store. No idea when it got added, but it was one I had seen footage of, and looked kinda interesting. Any impressions for it? I loved Rush of Blood, and more shooty goodness would be a treat!
I wouldn't pick if up at full price. I didn't really enjoy it all that much, graphics aren't great and you stand stationary as monsters approach. I didn't get very far into the game but don't feel compelled to go back at the moment. I say watch some game play videos beforehand to see if it's something you'd be into.

ZehDon

I wouldn't pick if up at full price. I didn't really enjoy it all that much, graphics aren't great and you stand stationary as monsters approach. I didn't get very far into the game but don't feel compelled to go back at the moment. I say watch some game play videos beforehand to see if it's something you'd be into.
Thanks! Disappointed to hear its a bit meh. I'll wait for a sale :)

somme

Someone wanted a review of Waddle Home? Well here it is: https://psvr-reviews.com/2016/11/23/waddle-home/

Haven't been able to write many in the last couple of days. Had a lot of work on.

Seems EU/UK only got the Basketball VR game this week? NBA-something? Not really my thing.

How much is Gary the Gull going for in the US? Looks completely absurd but the trailer made me laugh. "Take a hike Gary!!" So if it's cheap might be a nice distraction.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Someone wanted a review of Waddle Home? Well here it is: https://psvr-reviews.com/2016/11/23/waddle-home/

Haven't been able to write many in the last couple of days. Had a lot of work on.

Seems EU/UK only got the Basketball VR game this week? NBA-something? Not really my thing.

How much is Gary the Gull going for in the US? Looks completely absurd but the trailer made me laugh. "Take a hike Gary!!" So if it's cheap might be a nice distraction.

Its free, and kinda... pointless.

Brookhaven isn't bad. Tracking needs refinement. Reloading is a pain. The game is great on atmosphere, and if it had more accurate shooting, it would be an awesome wave based experience. $20 usd is fair, but I'd wait for a sale unless you're desperate for something to play.

Grinchy

Banned

Well, I did it. And once again, the game worked really well until I got to the end of the Medium campaign. Then the entire world was jolting around on me so bad that I was whiffing the stationary ball while trying to serve...

Gonna try it on the Pro later with the other headset. If it happens there too, then I'm going to wonder how anyone can play this game.

bumpkin

I really want Holoball but I don't think I'll have enough room. Wish there was a demo :(
I had to do some housekeeping on my PS4 to free up space for new PSVR games and it made me kind of sad. I can't believe that 500GB holds as few games as it does these days. I might have to start thinking about a hard drive upgrade. Playing musical game installs is a pain in the ass. *sigh*

T-0800

I had to do some housekeeping on my PS4 to free up space for new PSVR games and it made me kind of sad. I can't believe that 500GB holds as few games as it does these days. I might have to start thinking about a hard drive upgrade. Playing musical game installs is a pain in the ass. *sigh*

One of the reasons I bought a Pro was to get a bigger HD.

bumpkin

^^^ Lol, two responses to that quote with two completely different interpretations. :p
haha. Mine was more in reference to buying anymore PSVR games, period. I only have something like 34GB left on my hard drive, I have at least 5-6 games (non-VR) that I don't have the room to keep installed. I deleted the installs for some games I've already finished and don't play anymore, but it sucks having to make that sacrifice. It makes revisiting a game I beat but feel like playing for the heck of it an ordeal (need to delete something else and re-install).

I miss the days when games were on and ran off of the discs/carts.

Is the starwars vr mission going to worth the 10 bucks?
Did they announce it would be available as a stand-alone release? I thought it was just going to be free to Battlefront owners. If you're into Star Wars, Battlefront's worth the $15-20 it goes for nowadays. It's actually something like $8 digitally on PSN right now (through 11/28) and I thought I read somewhere that the physical game was going to be $10 somewhere on Black Friday.

One of the reasons I bought a Pro was to get a bigger HD.
I kind of want a Pro but I kind of don't... I'm holding out until next year when maybe there's a cool limited edition design (maybe?). My OG PS4 is one of the 20th anniversary systems that I paid a pretty penny for.

Finally got a chance to try Job Simulator today. It definitely gave me the most sense of "presence" of anything I've tried in VR so far. It didn't take long for me to sort of forget the Move controllers were there and just interact fluidly and naturally with the environment. The only thing that sucks is when the tracking goes wonky, really takes you out of things.

Flandy

LOL
I upgraded to a 2TB and haven't had any problems since
Granted I do most of my gaming on PC these days so it's not as full as it would be. Still I'm sitting at around 1.3TB

I smacked my hand and move controller on a moving ceiling fan. This game requires a lot of space, and it's easy to forget you're not in the virtual space.
lol that won't be a problem for me. I'm just worried about the distance from the camera I need to be. Measured it and out and I'm about 5 and a half which I don't think is enough

Flandy

RIGs and Battlezone on sale at Best Buy. I think I'll finally pick up Battlezone.
35.99 with gamers club
That's mighty tempting but now I'm just tempted to wait for a flash sale

Edit: appears to be the deal of the day. Guess I'll grab it then. Would rather have it digitally for $30 but I guess this is as good as its gonna get for a while.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Did they announce it would be available as a stand-alone release? I thought it was just going to be free to Battlefront owners. If you're into Star Wars, Battlefront's worth the $15-20 it goes for nowadays. It's actually something like $8 digitally on PSN right now (through 11/28) and I thought I read somewhere that the physical game was going to be $10 somewhere on Black Friday.

Digital is $7.50 right now, $6.75 with the 10% off code if you haven't used it already. The $10 for physical on BF is at Gamestop.

Getting my Pro on Saturday, not looking forward to swapping out my current 2TB drive and downloading my stuff again, will be mainly VR and Pro patched games to start with though.

Mezoly

Getting my Pro on Saturday, not looking forward to swapping out my current 2TB drive and downloading my stuff again, will be mainly VR and Pro patched games to start with though.
Do you have an external drive case or an enclosing? I took the 1 tb from the pro put it in the enclosing backed from my og ps4 then took the 2tb from my og ps4 put it in the pro and restored from the external. I had less than 1 tb of content on my og ps4 though.

Do you have an external drive case or an enclosing? I took the 1 tb from the pro put it in the enclosing backed from my og ps4 then took the 2tb from my og ps4 put it in the pro and restored from the external. I had less than 1 tb of content on my og ps4 though.

Being fair I did consider that but with a 200Mb fibre connection I'm thinking that downloading might be quicker anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom