• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimmer

I got my PS VR yesterday at last and I need your help.
Everything except the text looks extremely pixelated and out of focus,especially at close range. I have done the eye to eye thing in the settings and everything else that is needed.I know how to setup things so I didn't miss anything at the settings and the installation proccess.
Whenever I am looking at something at close range, like my hands,gun,cockpit,seat,switches,etc everything is completely blury.
There is no plastic cover on the lenses.
The social screen looks nothing like what I am seeing through the headset.
This is the VR experience everyone is raving about? My eyes hurt everytime i take off the headset. I own an OG PS4 and wear glasses.

Excuse me for my bad english, by the way, english is not my main language.

RoyalFool

Banned
Excuse me for my bad english, by the way, english is not my main language.

Try closing one eye, does the picture clear up? For me - anything I bring close to my eyes (say closer than 3 virtual feet to my face) I can't focus on, but if I close one eye then I can see the picture being sent to my eyes is indeed clear, but my brain just can't focus close up in a virtual 3D space, about 5-6 virtual feet from my face is the sweet spot where things are pretty clear (albeit low resolution) then in the background you get some shimmering. I believe it's normal that most text can be fiddly to read at times, especially in the launch titles when developers didn't quite grasp how to do good VR

Upgraded to the PS Pro today and tried out a few titles, some quick impressions.

VR Worlds - marginal improvements in most game modes, e.g. less shimmering and more defined edges at medium and far distance in Heist, but nothing that dramatically changed my enjoyment or immersion... until I tried Shark Dive, that looks incredible on the Pro. No jaggies, longer draw distance and correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure it has extra effects (e.g. self shadowing) or maybe it's just the increase clarity making it more noticeable.

Sports Bar - slight internal resolution bump, but not noticeable unless you are comparing side-by-side, a few new lighting and reflection effects which are nice, even if they are implemented in a clunky fashion (reflections have a weird depth stencil effect).

Driveclub - No change apart from reflections on the car, real shame this one. Heard conflicting reports that it ran at a higher resolution but having played 50 hours of the thing, I'm positive that's not the case.

Batman - This is the PsPro showcase title, clarity and picture quality is a huge improvement and increased my immersion and enjoyment of the title a considerable amount. Gotham is beautiful.

Weird observations - the increased clarity has resulted in me getting vertigo when looking down in games i didn't prior. It also feels like when I'm turning my head (in any game) the tracking is more responsive, latter could just be a placebo.

Alienous

VR is pretty cool. It isn't a miracle, but it's like going from TV speakers to surround-sound headphones, but for your eyes.

That initial Playroom VR demo was impressive. It felt like how Nintendo could justify a console.

Dominator

We opened our gifts last night and I was pumped because I was able to set up the headset then and try it out. It gets so humid under there and causes the screen to fog every time. I don't even have it that tight on my face either. Gonna have to just keep using it and adjust I suppose.

But even with that issue, I still love it. It's so damn cool.

I do have a question though. Am I wearing it wrong if what I'm looking at is clear, but everything around the borders of what I'm seeing is slightly blurry? Was bothering me a little bit and didn't know if that was normal.

Jopie

We opened our gifts last night and I was pumped because I was able to set up the headset then and try it out. It gets so humid under there and causes the screen to fog every time. I don't even have it that tight on my face either. Gonna have to just keep using it and adjust I suppose.

But even with that issue, I still love it. It's so damn cool.

I do have a question though. Am I wearing it wrong if what I'm looking at is clear, but everything around the borders of what I'm seeing is slightly blurry? Was bothering me a little bit and didn't know if that was normal.

I turn on my headset a few minutes before using it and get less fogging. Don't know why, but it has worked for me.

The center of your vision will be more clear than the edges. But many people have found that wearing the band further up on the back of your head makes the screen more clear as well. In the instructions they show the band way lower than the way I like to wear it. Ultimately, the best thing to do is just experiment with positioning until you find the sweet spot that works best for you.

Also, having a Pro makes a lot of games less blurry as well.

GeeTeeCee

I just got my PSVR and I might need to keep experimenting with getting the headset comfortably set up on my head. At the moment the headband feels like it's at maximum tightness yet the visor isn't flush over my face. I can use the scope to push it in closer (and the picture quality improves drastically), but it won't stay in that position.

Had a brief mess around in VR Worlds and Arkham VR. I'm pretty sure I was grinning like a loon for the entirety of what I played of Batman. It looks superb, and the beginning section in Crime Alley, although tame, was already enough to convince me horror games are going to be a no go as far as VR and myself are concerned.

Lagamorph

Finally got to have a little play with mine today, so far really loving it. Still tweaking around with the settings to get the view just right.

I'm still massively disappointed with it not working with the Gold 2.0 headset though. Seems like a huge oversight that you can't use them together. Who at Sony thought that having surround sound with the VR headset would be a bad idea?

tr00per

Finally got to have a little play with mine today, so far really loving it. Still tweaking around with the settings to get the view just right.

I'm still massively disappointed with it not working with the Gold 2.0 headset though. Seems like a huge oversight that you can't use them together. Who at Sony thought that having surround sound with the VR headset would be a bad idea?

Binaural audio through the headset is better than virtual surround sound though...?

Bought Thumper in the January sales.

Any other good digital only VR games on the sale? I won't buy if there's a physical alternative.

Hope Thumper full game is as fun as the demo was!

Plug the Gold headset into the VR in-line control box with a 3.5mm cable. You then get 3D audio through them which beats surround sound hands down.

Guys, it should be mentioned that while pushing the back of the headset further up your head will provide a tighter fit, this tightness is what causes the lenses to fog up. That's why sony recommends having it further down your head with a little bit of a gap around your nose.

Regarding bluriness, you need to move the screen in front of you up and down until the image is clear. Once you find the sweet spot, lock it in with the dial on the back of the headset. While it will always be pixely and jagged (due to the nature of VR), it should be crisp and clear.

Also things that are physically close to you in a VR space will always appear blurry due to the way our brains work.

Kalentan

What would you guys say is the game that has the most replay value thus far? It's honestly been an issue for me that a lot of VR games are really one and done deals. I mean, I do have RIGS, Wrewolves, Sports Bar, and Brookhaven. Which all do have replay value, but I was wondering about something new.

What would you guys say is the game that has the most replay value thus far? It's honestly been an issue for me that a lot of VR games are really one and done deals. I mean, I do have RIGS, Wrewolves, Sports Bar, and Brookhaven. Which all do have replay value, but I was wondering about something new.

In Headmaster you can revisit the tests to win 3 stars in each of them.

If you can stomach it and like driving games then imo Driveclub is the one - it's pretty much the base content of the original 2d game but with a different tour, plus synchronous and asynchronous online multiplayer. It's brilliant and is the game that keeps pulling me back in.

Maligna

Banned
Another reason I've found that the lenses fog is when your body temperature is significantly higher than the headset's. If the PSVR has been sitting in a warm room before I use it, I get less fogging.

Shoeless

Have you tried Battlezone or EVE? The competitive multi-player in EVE should keep you busy for a while.

Alienous

RIGS is legit.

All in all I'm impressed by PS VR, and this is on the standard PS4. However, even on day one I can see it taking up shelf space in the near future unless the Cinema mode catches on for me. But it's great. It feels like a new console, a true successor to the novelty of Wii experiences, and 3D gaming that finally makes sense.

Umm why doesn't yours work with it? U plug them in and it works fine

So I got 100 Playstation bucks, not sure what to grab from the store. Any idea if USA will be getting a VR sale like the EU has right now? I have a good amount of games right now, but I almost feel like I should just wait and not buy something just to spend the money.

Shoeless

Any good horror games for it yet?

If you're more into David Lynch style, moody psychological horror, Here They Lie is actually pretty good. However, the image quality is not amazing, and it doesn't have a Pro Patch, which would have really helped out it out a lot.

Like RE7, it also uses more traditional movement, which puts it high on the list for causing nausea.

How is werewolves?

Jimmy_liv

Shown 3 people the kitchen demo and one of them the Beggining Hour demo today.
They were instantly - and I mean INSTANTLY blown away by it.

Looking round saying 'oh wow! That's insane, I'm actually in the game!' Within seconds.

One of them an Xbox owner who straight away began badgering his missus to buy one.

Great to see people's reactions.

Bough Headmaster in the EU sale last night, and wow! That game is absolutely brilliant!

I started playing it at 2:30 am, and when I removed the headset, it was 5:10 am! The first time I have genuinely lost time in VR :D

So much fun, humour, and replayability.

jwc13ac

So after having for about a week, I have a few random observations people may be interested in. For those wondering, I've played most of the demos, I have VR worlds, Thumper, Rez, and Job Simulator.

-I came in skeptical, but was really blown away. I've been gaming since the NES days and this had me gitty. For those wondering, you gotta try this out.

-Honeymoon It does wear off after a bit though, starting to wonder how they will make full "games" for this, not just fun activities. RE 7 should be a good test.

- Long plays are fatiguing for me. Don't have that issue normally (even when seated)

-Took me a while to get the "fit" right. It kept looking blurry/smugy. Had to fiddle a lot to make it look good. I got it now! The demo made it look like the strap had to be way down the back of my head. Don't do that!

-when I first played Job Simulator" I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. This is the game that really sold me oddly. Love throwing random stuff at the NPCS!

-the flying/driving games were kind of disappointing, I think that's due to graphics and gameplay not being up to current gen standards. i assume this will improve, as the motion of these games were insane and had potential. Any driving game on the horizon?

- I didn't get motion sickness really at all, only on the luge demo a bit when I smacked walls. I'm not prone to motion sickness in general, so I'm a bad test.

- So far, the best games are the ones that don't try to be like current top sellers. Thumper is an intense ride, while also challenging skill. Rez (mainly area x) shows how VR can "aw" you. (I love techno also). This is the direction they should go.

-they should have some sort of way to "see" without taking Headset off. Lien a camera view on command. Maybe they do and I'm missing it? But I swear I'm going to kill my cat!

Anyways just thought I'd add to observations about VR! Any suggestions on things to try let me know!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Is this thing still hard to find in stores?

Yes.

-they should have some sort of way to "see" without taking Headset off. Lien a camera view on command. Maybe they do and I'm missing it? But I swear I'm going to kill my cat!

Pressing the button and sliding the screen all the way forward then tilting my head up is a good quick fix for me that doesn't make me have to readjust anything after.

MrMephistoX

Wow what a party hit! I was 90% sure I'd be getting one this Xmas but couldn't be sure. I almost had just as much fun watching my family of Star Wars fans play the VR mission as actually playing it. Holy cow the scale of this is so great on a PRO. And to think I was stressing about getting the perfect party game...2 hours of just Xwing VR and Eggnog.

D23

Ps vr is a huge hit at Christmas. The Star Wars vr game going to move a lot of units. A lot of my fam and friends want one now

dLMN8R

Ps vr is a huge hit at Christmas. The Star Wars vr game going to move a lot of units. A lot of my fam and friends want one now

Except for the fact that it's been next to impossible to buy - especially in a bundle - for the entire time since before it launched?

I mean seriously, I've searched on and off since the day it launched. At best the only thing you can find is the standalone headset, but even more impossible is finding the bundle with the camera and move controllers too.

On Amazon it hasn't been available at all.

doby

Finally got my parents to try VR. My dad loved it, my mum was hyper critical and only managed half of the shark attack in ocean descent! Was always odds on that she would find something she'd dislike about it though. Apparently it was making her eyes hurt, which can happen after hours of use, not 5 bloody minutes!

Got Eagle Flight and love it, the leader boards are way too easy to top though, I sense somethings not quite right with them or its been selling abysmally.

Just to explain the reasoning behind this a little, the VR processor unit is creating the 3D audio feed, so in order for the Golds to work wirelessly there would need to be a USB port on the processor unit and it would need to sacrifice some of the SoC's computation for interfacing with the Golds dongle. I'm sure it was looked into, these things generally aren't just oversights where it's not even thought about, it usually comes down to money or performance (usually money :p)

MrMephistoX

Except for the fact that it's been next to impossible to buy - especially in a bundle - for the entire time since before it launched?

I mean seriously, I've searched on and off since the day it launched. At best the only thing you can find is the standalone headset, but even more impossible is finding the bundle with the camera and move controllers too.

On Amazon it hasn't been available at all.

Yeah I almost didn't get one but checked GameStop during a ten minute window it was on the site and told family to order it.

Codiox

How's eve after the update?
Worth 39,99?

Absolutely. I bought it before the update for 55 and still playing it. Although it's only good in short burst because the multiplayer seems kinda easy. I'm always in the top 3 in my team. Especially on the ps4 pro it's one of the best games out right now.

BTails

So, I just messed around with the VR that my wife got me for Christmas after she and my daughter went to bed... OH MY GOD, I'M IN LOVE. I had the biggest grin on my face playing some of the demos: Kitchen was awesome, and I got crazy addicted to Rigs. I'm picking that up tomorrow for sure, and no motion sickeness!

That being said, I got some rough nausea playing the RE7 demo, which is worrying considering that's my "killer app". Will play around with it some more, maybe end up using the 30 degree turning angle, as it was definitely the turning the was screwing with me.

Also, did anyone notice that the demo was really bright in VR? I found the house much less scary vs playing on TV as it seemed so illuminated.

Hale-XF11

Not sure if anyone's seen this yet, but it's a new screenshot for Megaton Rainfall, posted on the dev's blog a few days ago.

01.png

Looks pretty great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom