• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG PSVR! So I just got back from traveling and I don't have time to read through the whole thread. Can some kind soul summarize GAF's consensus on this thing for me?

Harp

I became a true vr believer last night. The PSVR is great device. Played with it non stop for 4 hours last night and I could have played with it 4 more. I Was in the "I will get my pre order but mostly likely return with in 30 days" camp. That was based on my experience with gear vr and google cardboard. The PSVR is a whole other beast, it really sad that you hear people even compare the PSVR to those to it sets the wrong expectation.

Overall the screen door effect looks more like a film grain effect more so then a hindrance. I would expect developers to incorporate into games as such. The moves controllers seem pretty accurate to the point I don't really think about them you just interact with the object as you would expect to.

The screen quality is very good, good color and contrast and deep blacks. The only tracking issues I had was the focal point would shift in a circle and that was annoying but it seems like it should be an easy fix if they just let you set an initial focal point that you can always reset to. I also probably need to get a better understanding of how to properly calibrate as well.

But after day one I am for sure in on VR, if they can maintain about a few big games a year and few small ones I think it worth it. I still want my tv games but PSvR will be a nice thing to have.

The best thing about it I would say is how easy it is to use. No drivers, no quality settings just strap in and play.

Side note: cinema mode works very well, I was expecting a experience similar to gear vr where the quality of movies would look terrible and low resolution, but on PSVr they keep there full bitrate it seems even on huge mode The newest final fantasy movie was perfectly watchable, with the only noticeable change would be the screen door effect, which like I said before look like light film grain.

Hasney

Each VR game on the store has like 4 ratings... I hope there are enough people playing RIGS to find matches.

Found one instantly this morning after finding zero yesterday. mostly japanese people, but performance in terms of lag was silky smooth.

Alx

I only get it drifting to the left as well. It's a major problem that needs to be addressed asap. It cant be coincidence as it's happening to loads of people and it's always the left as you've said. Has to be the shitty camera.

The camera itself shouldn't introduce drifting since it's measuring an absolute position, and is static. If it's continuously drifting to the point of players turning their back to the screen (as I've read in some feedback), it must be because of a bias in the motion tracking, either because of inertial sensors or a software bug (like bad rounding of values).

That is really not user friendly if intentional. I tend to leave games running and just put the PS4 to sleep so I can get in and out of games quickly. It is how the system is designed to be used at a high level.

The PS4 knows it isn't in a game and it knows the headset is off, so it seems a bit silly to me for it not to set the TV display appropriately.

It doesn't do it with every game, so it's a per software thing that I'm sure will be fixed.

Also, don't sleep on Tumble people, it's superb.

grendelrt

The Brookhaven Experiment: This is the secret killer app of PSVR!!!! Literally no one is talking about it, but holy shit, I can't stop thinking about this game. I screamed (like top of my lungs scream) two times in my first five minutes with the game. It's probably the most immersive VR game I've played yet. Seriously guys, check this one out! It's probably my favorite game that uses the Move controllers as well. By the way, I put my friends through this last night and one of them curled up on the floor screaming. Lol it's really scary!

I wish there was a demo for this, there doesnt seem to be any reviews on the PSVR either just PC.

iratA

The PSVR is so ace, utterly awesome. love it. Today my head is buzzing, just thinking all the time of my VR experiences last night. really hard to concentrate on anything else.

My wife was so sceptical, she deigned to try it, so she could trash it, and I put her on Rush of Blood (she loves horror films). She was knocked out. She kept saying inane things like: Oh god; this is nuts; how can they do this; look I can see that tree; this is amazing; I'm here I'm actually here. She wouldn't stop, played it for almost an hour and wouldn't let me take it off her. She said its like having a top Disney theme ride in the house.

Sorry I just had to quote this! Your wife quite literally in the above bold & underlined parts said EXACTLY what I have been saying to my wife over the last few days. I've been all like "look at those trees" they really look genuinely massive and its just a damn tree, but in VR simple things take on a whole new life. Yeah its just so funny reading your post though, it eerily mirrored our reactions here. I also said the exact same thing to my other half about how its like being in a Top Disney / Universal Studios Amusement Ride and it is! Until Dawn is really something else, if we don't get another on rails amusement park type game on this thing, this gen, I'm going to cry.

DavidDesu

Got 5 more VEV: Viva Ex Vivo VR Edition codes for Europe!

Quote to reveal, reply with the number of the code you've redeemed, let me know what you think. Also, we want to populate our leaderboards, so now's your chance to be ranked in the top 3 somewhere!

It has been interesting following people's experiences with all the launch games - alot of the issues people are dealing with (both good and bad) we had to address over the last year. For my part I did the art / graphics / interface / sound design,remixed all the music, and got the game running at a consistent frame rate ( we had a strict no-dropped-frames policy, period. So everything was heavily optimized while still allowing for key visual effects).

It is also one of the few games that dares to use the left analog stick to turn, but this is offset by being a 3rd person camera. We also implemented an active FOV, customizable camera speed, as well as maintaining a consistent horizon and z axis restraint to minimize nausea. I'm curious to know if that helped some of you.

If I don't seem like I'm really trying to push / sell it, it's because It's definitely a game in the 'stop and smell the roses' experience category - kind of meant to be a laid back experience, but also difficult, so may not be everyone's cup of tea. Also heavily inspired by Ecco the Dolphin in some ways, come to think of it :) so if you dig that kind of experience, then it's for you!

I took B323-FHNK-GM49

Thank you very much! Will give this a shot tonight, looking for all the PSVR content I can get my hands on and this looks great :D

Nursezero

After 24 hours I'm totally impressed with PSVR. I had my wife try the shark demo. Once the attack occurred she removed the headset, lol. However, I wish I wasn't so motion sick. I can handle everything except Rigs and Driveclub. I guess I'm going to return Rigs, oh well. I do have to take frequent breaks though. Maybe I can offset the nausea with dimenhydrinate.

Quote to reveal, reply with the number of the code you've redeemed, let me know what you think. Also, we want to populate our leaderboards, so now's your chance to be ranked in the top 3 somewhere!

It has been interesting following people's experiences with all the launch games - alot of the issues people are dealing with (both good and bad) we had to address over the last year. For my part I did the art / graphics / interface / sound design,remixed all the music, and got the game running at a consistent frame rate ( we had a strict no-dropped-frames policy, period. So everything was heavily optimized while still allowing for key visual effects).

It is also one of the few games that dares to use the left analog stick to turn, but this is offset by being a 3rd person camera. We also implemented an active FOV, customizable camera speed, as well as maintaining a consistent horizon and z axis restraint to minimize nausea. I'm curious to know if that helped some of you.

If I don't seem like I'm really trying to pitch / sell it, it's because It's definitely a game in the 'stop and smell the roses' experience category - kind of meant to be a laid back experience, but also difficult, so may not be everyone's cup of tea. Also heavily inspired by Ecco the Dolphin in some ways, come to think of it :) so if you dig that kind of experience, then it's for you!

I took code 5! Thank you so much!

I just had another session. Driveclub is still a no-go. I did a race this time in the open-top car and it still made me feel sick. But I lasted a bit longer, I think because the car has stiffer suspension and there's less body roll than the Ferrari. Battlezone is excellent and I can see myself purchasing the full game. Not as impressed by Rigs, not a purchase for me. Headmaster crashed during loading but was OK on the second attempt. I had a massive screen door effect in this game. It's actually visible in most games (least visible in Driveclub) but it was so bad in Headmaster, mainly in the dark areas. Anyone else seeing bad screen door effect?

nikos

Had a lot of fun with the Job Simulator demo. Is the full game worth it?

Only thing is I have to play in a different part of the room because it wants me to stand further from the camera than possible in this space, but I can live with that.

Had a lot of fun with the Job Simulator demo. Is the full game worth it?

Only thing is I have to play in a different part of the room because it wants me to stand further from the camera than possible in this space, but I can live with that.

Yup same experience for me as well... I have to move stuff for this game while every other game is fine closer up. Great presence with JS and it's super fun but i cant see myself making special concessions for just this game. I wish it allowed you to move the circle on the floor around to suit your space.

Went and bought one last night and I love this thing!

Watched Civil War and I love the theatrical screen I mean nothing like sitting there and it feeling like you are in a movie theater.

Played the Playroom for a little bit and it just blew me away I need to play the Kitchen demo but I am sold on this thing it is amazing.

Bog

Junior Ace
I don't think I've had a better experience in VR than with the Job Simulator demo. Is the full game actually worth $30 though? How long is it?

Gaz_RB

Is it supposed to be this blurry? I can't make out anything once it's farther out. Here they lie was a blurry mess. That's just the low resolution I guess?

Is it supposed to be this blurry? I can't make out anything once it's farther out. Here they lie was a blurry mess. That's just the low resolution I guess?

Here They Lie has been said suffer the most from low resolution. I haven't had any issues actually playing the games I have. You notice the low res at first, eventually you get used to it and it doesn't really affect the immersion that bad. A select few games, like Here They Lie and Driveclub VR, seem to be notably worse than others in that department.

Honestly, Thumper looks amazing I can't even tell I'm looking at a low res screen once I'm in the groove.

Seiru

Banned
Super awesome to see so many people finally able to try VR, and loving it. Bodes well for the entire medium. Even as a PC VR guy, it's very encouraging.

OmegaFax

If I don't seem like I'm really trying to pitch / sell it, it's because It's definitely a game in the 'stop and smell the roses' experience category - kind of meant to be a laid back experience, but also difficult, so may not be everyone's cup of tea. Also heavily inspired by Ecco the Dolphin in some ways, come to think of it :) so if you dig that kind of experience, then it's for you!

Edit - sorry, keep forgetting to link the actual game:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...ivo‎/cid=EP0967-CUSA04739_00-VEV0000000000002 (EU store)
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...tion/cid=UP0964-CUSA04642_00-VEV0000000000001 (NA store)

Grabbed the 3rd code. Thanks.

murgo

Thank you! I grabbed code number 2 :)

Flandy

Edit - sorry, keep forgetting to link the actual game:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...ivo‎/cid=EP0967-CUSA04739_00-VEV0000000000002 (EU store)
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...tion/cid=UP0964-CUSA04642_00-VEV0000000000001 (NA store)

No US codes? :(

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

unfortunately the HMD fitting is a VERY personal experience.. modified by how it's fitting, your eyesight, etc.. and it's not like I can tell how blurry or clear it is for you.

with that being said, a solid test seems to be holding the PS button and on the quick menu choosing "adjust headset" or something. This is the one that displays the note on screen to adjust it until everything is in focus. and when adjusting it.. don't think about adjusting the screen in front of your face. remember, that screen is attached to the scope, which is attached to the entire thing on your head. so... you have to move EVERYTHING in your head to actually adjust the screen.

also with glasses it seems to be hit or miss.. my wife and daughter are both near sighted, so "shouldn't" need glasses. my wife was perfectly fine without her glasses, but my daughter said it was clearer with glasses. for me it really sucks.. because my vision in one eye is 20/40, and my other eye is 20/15. BUT, my 20/15 eye is actually a little far sighted......so my 20/40 eye is crystal clear without my glasses.. but my 20/15 eye is a little blurry.. and there isn't anything I can do about it short of getting a second pair of glasses for my far sighted eye :p

I do have one complaint (speaking of positioning the HMD).. I have to move the screen over a bit to get it all in focus.. no problems, EXCEPT that it pulls the light shield away from my face a bit on the right side.. I really hope they release first or third party light shields for this that cover more area. Thankfully they made it removable so it seems like this could be a possibility.

Honestly, Thumper looks amazing I can't even tell I'm looking at a low res screen once I'm in the groove.

low res is always there for me.. but, I just chalk it up to the original Playstation. When we went from 8-/16-bit to Playstation, it was mind blowing. Yes we knew the polys were low, shading and aliasing were horrible, resolution was horrible.. but that didn't change that playing these 3D games for the first time was an incredible experience. Same thing here. It's low res.. graphics aren't omfg amazing with shaders and stuff.. but that still doesn't make the experience any less amazing.

Anyone here buy The Brookhaven Experiment? I know it seemed to be well received on Vive but I'm struggling to find anything about the PSVR port. Need all the horror games I can get.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
WOW the kitchen demo is fucking awesome!

not even touching it. I watched during E3 and when they said it was VR (having already done a couple of horror experiences in VR) I really didn't want anything to do with it...

so for the time being.. holding off on it.

DavidDesu

I'm really enjoying my time with the PSVR, but I'm seriously bummed out at how low res and blurry everything looks. :(

You definitely got it positioned right on your head? I think Thumper and a Wayward Sky have some of the best image quality out of the headset, so try these out and it really shouldn't look blurry. A bit low res yes but the way you describe it sounds really bad (Driveclub is pretty damn bad outside of the cockpit visuals).

Just to make sure you have it positioned correctly. Where the headset feels like it should be I have super blurry visuals, but once I lift it up a good whack it's crystal clear. You should be able to discern pixels in the cinema mode on the PS4 UI, and the screen should look flat, with the edges not curved, this is the best way to get the image just right for you.

If you've done all that then fair enough but I always worry about people just plonking it on their head, saying it looks like shit and thinking that's as good as it gets, I imagine some people have done that and given bad reviews of the optics :p

phant0m

HOLY SHIT the Scavengers Odyssey thing in VR Worlds is one of the best things I've ever played. I NEED a full AAA campaign of that. Fucking amazing!!

Also, is that the same voice actress as Cortana?

DavidDesu

also with glasses it seems to be hit or miss.. my wife and daughter are both near sighted, so "shouldn't" need glasses. my wife was perfectly fine without her glasses, but my daughter said it was clearer with glasses. for me it really sucks.. because my vision in one eye is 20/40, and my other eye is 20/15. BUT, my 20/15 eye is actually a little far sighted......so my 20/40 eye is crystal clear without my glasses.. but my 20/15 eye is a little blurry.. and there isn't anything I can do about it short of getting a second pair of glasses for my far sighted eye :p

I'm nearsighted too. Sony revealed that the lenses make you naturally focus at about 8 feet distance. This is different to Gear VR which seems to be much closer so I don't need my glasses for Gear VR to be clear but I absolutely need them in PSVR.

I'm too scared to try it - but I'm gonna get the wife to do it later tonight.

not even touching it. I watched during E3 and when they said it was VR (having already done a couple of horror experiences in VR) I really didn't want anything to do with it...

so for the time being.. holding off on it.

Yea they did a good job making it pretty scary. I'm not usually bothered but I did get a little freaked out heh

You definitely got it positioned right on your head? I think Thumper and a Wayward Sky have some of the best image quality out of the headset, so try these out and it really shouldn't look blurry. A bit low res yes but the way you describe it sounds really bad (Driveclub is pretty damn bad outside of the cockpit visuals).

Just to make sure you have it positioned correctly. Where the headset feels like it should be I have super blurry visuals, but once I lift it up a good whack it's crystal clear. You should be able to discern pixels in the cinema mode on the PS4 UI, and the screen should look flat, with the edges not curved, this is the best way to get the image just right for you.

If you've done all that then fair enough but I always worry about people just plonking it on their head, saying it looks like shit and thinking that's as good as it gets, I imagine some people have done that and given bad reviews of the optics :p

I'm getting better at finding the sweet spot quickly, I get the strap and screen done quick, find a bit of writing and sort out the slight up and down movement of the mask. Still blurry, but it is what it is - some minor convergence issues as well. It reminds me of my old 480p rear projection TV, the presence helps mitigate that though.

BadHand

I'm getting better at finding the sweet spot quickly, I get the strap and screen done quick, find a bit of writing and sort out the slight up and down movement of the mask. Still blurry, but it is what it is - some minor convergence issues as well. It reminds me of my old 480p rear projection TV, the presence helps mitigate that though.

I find that that blackstrap needs to be placed just under the crown of my head. So that the VR headset is horizontal. Any lower than that and it gets blurry.

DavidDesu

Just one more thing, have you gone through the IPD settings and set yours? Might help :)

Harmonix VR is very underrated.

And I'm not talking about the painting game, or the dancing game or the beach thing.

"The Trip" is fucking amazing if you play your own music.

1.jpg

bargeparty

I'm pretty sure driveclub wrecked me. I played that once yesterday afternoon (stopped before finishing the 3rd lap cause I was feeling off) and then played house of blood. I think the combo did me in. I played a few other more tame games and was OK. But I've felt off since yesterday afternoon, slowly getting better.

SHarris78

Just had my first PSVR session, soooo good. Although I can't seem to use gold headset headphones with much comfort, gonna go with the in-ear included headphones next time. Also getting the moving image that a lot of you guys are experiencing, not enough to distract at all though.

The menu screen to vr worlds is awesome!!

Ocean decent - as soon as it begun I looked up to the surface and said 'holy sh!t', the sense of scale is immense. I'll admit, at the end when you're totally exposed in your broken cage and the shark is coming at you, I did feel a little fear!

Luge - was okay, nothing special. Pretty good graphics on your character, not so great on the world itself though.

Future Live Hatsune Miku - as a huuuge fan of the character/music, this for me was utterly fantastic. The whole time I was playing in had the biggest grin on my face, can't wait to get back to it!!!

Idolmaster VR (JPN) - looks and sounds great, but there's no interaction whatsoever as far as I can tell - not a patch on Miku!

Got so many more games and demos to play over the weekend, bring it on!!!!!

ClearData

I was browsing Amazon on the mobile app and it looks like the PSVR launch bundle is the # 1 best seller in video games and the core bundle has the Amazon's choice label. The former isn't even in stock until a replenishment arrives on the 28th. If word of mouth continues to be positive I could see this becoming a really hot holiday item in the U.S. and the Pro launch might get a boost from those who are looking for the absolute best experience they can get out of PSVR. If Sony can keep the quality content flow steady this platform might takeoff. Though we are in very early days yet.

nikos

Just finished The Playroom platformer. It was fantastic. Really looking forward to trying the multiplayer modes.

I was browsing Amazon on the mobile app and it looks like the PSVR launch bundle is the # 1 best seller in video games and the core bundle has the Amazon's choice label. The former isn't even in stock until a replenishment arrives on the 28th. If word of mouth continues to be positive I could see this becoming a really hot holiday item in the U.S. and the Pro launch might get a boost from those who are looking for the absolute best experience they can get out of PSVR. If Sony can keep the quality content flow steady this platform might takeoff. Though we are in very early days yet.

I think a $400 peripheral for a $300 system is a hard sale to casual audience.
I really don't expect much after the initial launch.

Haint

I only get it drifting to the left as well. It's a major problem that needs to be addressed asap. It cant be coincidence as it's happening to loads of people and it's always the left as you've said. Has to be the shitty camera. I noticed that is far too easily moved as it has a stiff cord that can lead to it moving in game with it slightly pulling or pushing the camera.

I'm going to tape that little cheap plastic fucker to my desk and see if that helps... if not IDK what i'm going to do. It's literally making everything unplayable after 15 minutes as i'm forced to look 45° off to the left in everything :/

Thats my ONLY complaint so far. Tracking.. of the headset and controllers. If they fix that everything will be golden.

It also drifts down, you will sink into seats in a lot of experiences that keep you locked in one.

v0yce

Oddly one of the most powerful things I've experienced was simply going to the Batcomputer and turning on the eye tracking thing on the Batman model and then moving around.

Its really creepy and kind of intimidating lol. I seriously felt a little uneasy having him stare at me like that.

kinggroin

Banned
Driveclub and that free platformer in Play Room are dogshit. For all the grief PCars and Lucky's Tales get in VR, they were head and shoulders above these other two in every conceivable way.

Everything else I tried was Ace however. I'm actually pretty impressed with what I'm getting out of this headset considering how little it costs. Sure, the resolution is pretty low, and there are still some Kinks to work out, but this is an excellent start.

Also I have to say that the Vive is a tad less cumbersome in setting up and maintaining versus this unit. Long ass wires everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom