• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loving RIGS, Rez and Rush of Blood right now. I don't even know if I want more games yet, I can't tear myself away from these. Haven't felt this way about new hardware in 20 years

Went to Target and bought Bateman VR and Until Dawn VR.

Saw a core headset, the lone one. Bought that, too!

The Bundle VR for the front room, the core headset for the additional PS4. Now my husband and I have one, I'm averse to not being able to play, if he is using the PS4 in the living room.

So now we have 2 of these. So awesome, no regrets!

I pulled the trigger and bought Driveclub VR despite the disappointingly blurry demo. :O Glad i did, the full game is insanely good!! I've never been this immersed in a driving game, VR is definitely the future of driving games.

ryushe

Just went into options and calibrated the eye position and headset lights..... Everything looks much sharper now, not to mention I've learned over the past two days how to put the headset on just right so everything is as clear as possible. I also gently wipe the lenses each time.
where are these settings? Can't seem to find them anywhere.

Hi,

I'm one of developers of Bound, thanks for such great comments about our VR version. I'll be doing reddit AMA next week, if you have some questions.

For those who doesn't know how the game looks in VR you can check on my commentary here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg4Ti7rFmqA

But like couple of people already said, it needs to be checked with HMD on.

Thanks and please keep your eyes on the next update!

I am so excited to get the game soon and rip into it. It looks amazing!!!

nampad

Came back from my vacation today and tried to get a PS VR without success here in Germany :(

I have still no information on my Amazon preorder from May but wasn't going to try to get one from somewhere else until my brother hyped the shit out of his PS VR and bought lots of games we will be sharing. Also, it would have been a nice way to stay awake not to get jet lagged.

Funnily, my bank send me a cardboard VR as an advert while I was on vacation.

Aceofspades

Banned
I created a VR folder in my PS4....need I say more?!

ITS GONNA BE FILLED WITH VR GODNESS.

The headset surpassed everything I expected.. Amazing.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't get any drift.

My OMFG WOW experience was walking AROUND the 2d menus projected in Tumble. like the thing that says GOLD or SILVER...and you walk BEHIND THEM OMG

hesido

Depends on the game, but this is a horrible solution.

You won't be getting positional audio in games where it is important. When you turn your head in VR the headphones move with you. If you turn your head to search for a noise, say you look left, the right can would be where your center channel is on your 5.1 set and the right channel audio you would technically be hearing behind you since the back of your head now faces the right side of your 5.1 setup because the 5.1 setup doesn't follow how you turn your head.

Not only that but there is no positional audio for above or below you if you can't tilt your 5.1 system with your skull. All of that is important and 5.1 is a sub par experience.

This will cause a disconnect in games where you are turning a lot. I imagine this would be horrible for horror games.

-

To others having the giant bomb issue - exchange or return it. A few preview streams had theirs rectified with exchange units. If it's hardware related you don't want to hang on to it.

If this is indeed the case, this simply looks like an oversight from Sony: Since the VR API has information of the head direction, they could simply re-arrange the sound mixing for stationary sets, with an option. They just need to stop re-positioning sounds around you and process sounds differently for sounds above or below when you tilt your head.

Is there a list anywhere of which games use the DS4 and which ones use 1 or 2 Move controllers? I have a Move from way back and I'm debating whether I should get a second one or stick to the single one for now.

Generally better. It depends on a game per game basis. The image quality can be really good, better than Gear VR in the better apps. You absolutely have far less screen door effect so it's a cleaner image. I only really notice almost like dots at the corner of where the pixels meet, and only when you're really looking for it in a light scene. Compared to Gear VR where I can easily decipher every single block of pixels when looking for it.

So it's much better than the Gear there. Also, the optics in general give you a clearer image across a wider field of view than Gear VR does. I found Gear VR blurrier much closer to the centre. PSVR blurs but only at the very extreme edges.

I haven't had a ton of time on my PSVR but this matches my impression. It's cleaner in general but on some games you can still discern pixels on some games on PSVR. I also only noticed blur at the edges of PSVR while I thought the Gear was blurrier near the center. Although I think a lot of it is art style; Thumper kind of blew me away at how awesome it looked, but the overall graphics are really simple, it just has a great art style.

I pulled the trigger and bought Driveclub VR despite the disappointingly blurry demo. :O Glad i did, the full game is insanely good!! I've never been this immersed in a driving game, VR is definitely the future of driving games.
VR is the only time cockpit racing has clicked for me.

It was pretty great. I was tired after playing

I am so excited to get the game soon and rip into it. It looks amazing!!!

I played about half of Bound when it first released and it was gorgeous....I stopped because I really wanted to experience it in VR, I have been blown away with it. All the particles flying everywhere, the vistas... It's all so smooth and beautiful. 😍

Well I spent a couple hours with PSVR last night after my first experience on Thursday left me feeling like I spent a day in a centrifuge and I have to say now that I'm a believer. Maybe it was because I played at night so there weren't as many lights in my room to affected the head tracking but I didn't get nearly as nauseous and really enjoyed the demos I tried from the disc.

I went in completely blind and bought Bound based on SSM pedigree and dear lord I was not ready. What an incredible game, so crazy to me that a game I never even heard of before last night is the one that has me most excited for the future of this medium.

Edit: Haha, brofist Incite :)

Couple more questions...prediction hats on...

Console game bundles are a common thing these days, actually downright expected...especially during the holidays.

Do you think PSVR will have game bundles too? If i already have a ps4 pro in the future, i would be more inclined to get a psvr bundle packed in with RE7, if I dont give in to the hype and buy one sooner, lol.

Couple more questions...prediction hats on...

Console game bundles are a common thing these days, actually downright expected...especially during the holidays.

Do you think PSVR will have game bundles too? If i already have a ps4 pro in the future, i would be more inclined to get a psvr bundle packed in with RE7, if I dont give in to the hype and buy one sooner, lol.

Personally I don't see it for at least 2-3 years

orioto

Good Art™
Soooo got mine, just been 3 hours with the headset on, tried every demo (from the european disc, DC, Rigs, Battlething...) plus some apps and playroom. Never felt nauseous nor tired. I just removed it and i don't even feel weird or have some mark / physical senstation on my head like i always had with the dk2 after putting it for some time. It's like i basically didn't stay 3 hours in VR.

So comfort = 10/10 amazing

There is ZERO screen door. There is some grain you can see when it's darker, but i couldn't spot any screen door, and it was really obvious in the DK2, with the same resolution.

Now i had a lot of problems of tracking with the Dualshock. I think it's cause teh camera is on a table, and sometimes my hands go below the table. I have to find a better place for it.

Some games like wayward sky have a weird ... retroprjection problem ? Or a camera tracking problem i don't know but when i move my head i can see things being kinda warped. It's really obvious in that game, more than others. Also the controller tracking problem was horrendous in this demo, almost not playable.

Yes i have 2 moves, but .. i'm not sure, do i have to charge them the first time ? i guess. And... I'm worried about that, i need to plug both of them with usb ? Not on ps4 i hope cause there are not free usb available... So yeah i didn't use them for my first time.

Drive Club: No nausea, but i wasn't trying to look everywhere all the time lol. I guess if people do that it must feel nauseous pretty quick, like in a real car. The game feels good, is really playable like that, but.. Yeah it's blurry as fuck, the track in front of you, the landscape. Problem with that in VR, to me, is that it kinda killd the 3D effect. You just have a blurry mess in front of you like if you needed your glases and you forgot them. After playing many demos today i'm pretttty sure DC doesn't have the same resolution as other games... But the framerate seemed nice.

No Nausea in Battlezone nor rigs but i prefered Battlezone for the 2 stick control. I love that and there is zero problem for me in VR with second stick control so this is the most intuitive. Aiming with the head in Rigs felt weird but that kind of game is not really for me control wise. The scale and graphics looked great tho, Battlezone to with some intense action, loved it.

Eve looks amazing but the demo is way too short.
The platformer from playroom is really nice, really cute. But i also had a problem with the controller tracking, different this time. It kinda sliped.. The initial position of the controller was oriented wrongly after some times and i just had to push start and do the quick calibration to reboot it, weird...But it was playable without problem anyway even with that.

The funniest demo.. Tumble and Headmaster lol.

More globally i'm a little disappointed with something. I.. i wasn't really amazed at any of that, like the first time woth the Oculus dk2. It's a shame cause i'm pretty sure the experience is way more confy and better quality, and things are more refined. But hey that OMG moment is not eternal with VR. It'll be there again when there will be a major boost in quality i guess. That's also i think why reviewers are sometimes not selling the purpose of the vr, barely talking about the sense of immersion and all..

But still, i wanted to touch some things, like he robot or the palm trees in playroom, or the little helicopter that shoots at you. I said at loud OMG many times with a smile on my face like when you discover the factory around you in battlezone.

I mean contrary to what people said. The tech is way enough to do amazing things. It's an absolute lie to say PS4 is not enough and not legit for VR. This is WAY enough to do amazing things really. It's all about learning how to optimize things, what works or not. Some of the demo, like DC are clearly forced to VR without much work, and with a game that wasn't a good fit at all (graphic wise), but most games that are optimized are way sharp enough, clear and fluid.

Now i'll have to see what game i'm buying. I would almost be tempted to buy Tumble. Of course i know Rez is amazing but i couldn't try it. Thumer could be too frustrating for me i don't know.. I'll see.

Other minor things:

I'm disappointed with the 360° movies in the dedicated app. NONE of them are stereoscopic... Some have insanely bad quality but some others are good.

Not that much amazing use of binaural for now, but in the sega diva thing it wa nice to be on the stage behind her. You could hear the music from behind, then change clearly when turning your face.

I'll quote my post so i didn't took 15 minutes to post it for nothing :p

[earlier tracking problem comments]

To follow up on my earlier post, the tracking issues seem to vary greatly from game to game, and I don't really understand why. In Tumble VR, I had no problems with it tracking small, detailed movements, but attempting those same kind of movements in Job Simulator would likely be to jittery to manage half of the time.

At its best it's still nowhere near the precision of the Vive, but still, it easy to forget how good the Move/Camera stuff can be. I still remember being impressed in the Start the Party (AR game mapping objects onto the Move controller) demo that came with the first Move stuff on the PS3. One game had a tennis racket mapped onto the end of your Move, and if you put on the strap and dropped the Move, letting it dangle from your wrist, it'd still continue to near-perfectly map the object onto the remote as it spun and dangled around, all of that with pretty low latency.

Is there something about the way they're tracking stuff now (or the way that data is processed?) that causes so many of these VR games to not track the Move nearly as precisely as a PS3 demo from 2010 could?

Nags

Banned
I think this would work fine with the move and headset, but because of the slant on the DS4 controller, your likely going to occlude the light bar. I've noticed that putting the camera above my TV leads to sub par controller tracking, putting it below increased accuracy.

And this is the reason the new DS4 has a light bar at the top of the touchpad.

ps4slim-ds4-800x420.jpg

I'm surprised that there's zero dizziness with Thumper. Maybe it's the fixed "perspective" of the beetle?

Incredible experience.

I saw a talk about this at Unite earlier in the year... just going from memory, so maybe not exactly how they phrased it: so if your brain is perceiving visual movement, but can't feel that you're moving (through your inner ear, I guess) - it sees a contradiction between your senses & this is what makes you feel sick... (perhaps is a response to poison which might mess up your senses?)

One thing they found was that if the movement was unrealistic or so fast that your brain couldn't really interpret it (or couldn't associate it with what movement it should be feeling), it wouldn't see the contradiction & you wouldn't feel sick.

Tumle

I have a vive and now a PSVR.. and I'm very impressed:)
The Vive may have better tech for the most part.. but I have to say that PSVR's comfort and lenses has the vive beaten by just as much.. :)
I'm glad I have bought the two best options out there ;)

panda-zebra

The platformer on Playroom was good but I was getting motion sick feeling when the camera moved forward. I'm kinda concered now as that wasnt really all that intensive.

You'll be fine. That was my first experience and it was weird, and playing it again later still felt very odd - the movement is not something you can gauge very well, depends where the robot is in relation to you how you'll be pulled along or pushed back. OTOH, played over 10 hours of driveclub now, no probs at all. Not sure the level of intensity or immersion of the experience is much of a factor, more how much control you feel you actions have directly maybe.

orioto

Good Art™
Impressions from Kitchen, Playroom VR and Wayward Sky?

I'm not playing horror things, fuck them.

Playroom i talked about it, great platformer. I'd like a full game, but had a slight calibration problem with the pad that kept changing it's base orientation. Its a shame most games in playroom are multiplayers. They are really pretty.

Wayward Sky was barely playable due to tracking problems with my cam and the pad.

Hale-XF11

Has anyone put the camera to task by placing it up high and aiming it downwards and seeing how much of a tracking volume you can get? I'm curious to know how much you can get away with having a room scale-like experience. Like, can you walk a few feet in either direction, or put your head on the floor and still have decent tracking? Would love to hear about some stress tests from you guys.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The Vive may have better tech for the most part.. but I have to say that PSVR's comfort and lenses has the vive beaten by just as much.. :)

Would like to hear more comparisons

I only have the GearVR and I have to agree about the lenses. I don't know what magic Sony is using but they somehow manage to stay clean even after prolonged use. With the Gear I seem to spend about as much time trying to clean dust/oil/eye lashes off of the lenses as I do playing games on it :/

All these positive impressions!!! I guess I'll go grab the launch bundle right now! I thought I was going to wait for a price drop, guess that's not happening haha.

Moreche

Does any of the PS4 RGB full/limited and deep colour settings affect the PSVR screen settings?
I ask because I find the black levels in the Kitchen demo is brighter than it should be.

Shoeless

Anyone care to comment on the replay value for the games they bought?

Varies from game to game, same as always. Obviously the score-chaser or multi-player games like Drive Club, Until Dawn, RIGs or EVE are infinitely replayable until you get sick of them. Stuff like Batman Arkham VR makes its best impression the first time, and after that, there's really only a need to go back to it to show off to friends, or for trophy clean up.

It's pretty much like any game, minus the novelty of the immersion factor. Some games you'll go back to again and again, others you won't. I can't see too many people trying out Ocean Descent over and over again, though the occasional revisit is understandable. On the other hand, if you're the creative type, then the 3D drawing tool in the Harmonix music visualizer can keep you engaged for hours without even noticing.

Anyone care to comment on the replay value for the games they bought?

Battlezone, RIGS, Until Dawn and Driveclub all massively repayable.

Batman and what I've played of the assembly are good but one time things

Vr world's and Playroom seem more like showcases for people trying vr although London Heist is fantastic as a one time playthrough

I will be truly amazed if people don't have tracking issues the first time they turn it on. 3 days in I have the camera and everything set nicely and am having little to no issue. First night was pretty bad, but it was due to a light I had on in the room.

In short if you are having tacking issues, spend the time to get everything set ocrrectly and using the vr set up accordingly
While room and equipment setup works, that doesn't explain when things go bad. I have issues today, after 2 days of near flawless play. Everything today is excruciatingly bad.

For reference, I game in my basement office, no windows, no lights so it's always the exact same.

Flandy

why is Harmonix the only ones who made a 3D painting thing. I'm tempted to buy Harmonix Music VR solely for that but it's $15 so I'm not sure

Wonder if that or Batman is a better investment

sn00zer

While room and equipment setup works, that doesn't explain when things go bad. I have issues today, after 2 days of near flawless play. Everything today is excruciatingly bad.

For reference, I game in my basement office, no windows, no lights so it's always the exact same.

Daylight coming through windows and hitting the wall ehind me as well as people moving around behind have thrown off mine

Shoeless

Doing a full power down of the PS4 seems to reset things. I actually noticed a bit of drift today with the headset in the diorama/playset section of VR Playroom when it hadn't been there before and I hadn't touched my configuration or settings at all after getting perfect response. After powering everything down and restarting, things seem fine.

Nydus

Maybe restarting the ps4 helps. :)

TheMan

one thing to keep in mind about London Heist is that there is a shooting gallery mode with multiple areas. So, if you're into high score chasing, there is definitely replay value there.

Tumle

Would like to hear more comparisons
I'd like to give more info.. but I'm not good at explaining the technical parts..
But I feel the lenses are way better in the PSVR, because they give off much less back glair than the vive's does. On the vive if there is a dark scene with some few light sources, they will light up in the rings that the lenses has.. but I did not see that in my PSVR, or I didn't notice them that much as I do with the vive..
Also tried watching a movie with the vive on.. but it started irritating me and made me aware of its presence because it's so tight to your face.. when playing games or trying out experiences it doesn't bother me, because I'll forget it because I'm doing other stuff..
On the PSVR I could see myself watching a movie in theatre mode.. it feels like having a baseball cap on.. and I'm used to that..
So the comparison would probably be. Vive is like watching a movie with scuba mask on and the PSVR is like watching it with a baseball cap on :p
Also the PSVR unit is so much lighter than the Vive :)

Im sorry for my grammar I hope it was readable :)

Ozorov

I'm not playing horror things, fuck them.

Playroom i talked about it, great platformer. I'd like a full game, but had a slight calibration problem with the pad that kept changing it's base orientation. Its a shame most games in playroom are multiplayers. They are really pretty.

Wayward Sky was barely playable due to tracking problems with my cam and the pad.

Okey thanks! I read that you had your camera on a desk and you let your controller down below a table or something. That might cause the problems I think? Ideally I think you need an empty space between the camera and you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom