• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomsk

Party Pooper
messed around with World War Toons for a little bit, first game to kinda fuck me up, still feeling kinda woozy 20 minutes later

Yes i have 2 moves, but .. i'm not sure, do i have to charge them the first time ? i guess. And... I'm worried about that, i need to plug both of them with usb ? Not on ps4 i hope cause there are not free usb available... So yeah i didn't use them for my first time.
You just need to plug them in once, and press the PS-button to get then to pair with the PS4. No cables needed after that.

EDIT: You do realize that all your controllers are wirelwss, right?

Fusebox

Banned
Tried different ports on my pc, it blinks 6 times then stops.

I received them today with the PSVR :p

So i have to use the 2 front ports of the ps3 to charge 3 things, while unpluging the headset... that's horrible. Fuck you Sony

Same here, tried plugging them into every USB port I could find, they only charge on Playstation's.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
So, I ran out to Walmart last night and bought one.

Ouch...

It's neat, but this tech should not be sold yet, IMO. It's still in the early stages, fit for "proof of concept" but not for mass market appeal, and not to fulfill its potential of supplanting the TV screen.

For it to actually be "the future" it still has far too many shortcomings.

For instance, resolution. It looks as if I'm playing on very small screen and I'm getting as close as I can to it. There's a lot of detail loss and blurriness, especially when looking beyond the foreground; that right there kills it for traditional games, even for appreciating a landscape in an open world game.

It's not the complexity of the graphics on display (I'm OK with less polygons and less realistic textures, etc), but when I look at the same image on the big TV I appreciate the size : pixel density (it's not crammed into a tiny screen with the same ppi), even if I'm no longer "in" the world.

Then, there is the problem of the "diving bell" effect. I can see the black edges of the headset everywhere, so I feel like my "presence" is through a "VR diving suit" in every game. It works for the underwater game, but not so much for the rest.

Bottom line, everyone at home is having fun with it, but too much of that which I'm used to and enjoy in modern games has been turned back in time in order to demonstrate the concept of presence.

I would have been OK with demo stations here and there until the tech matures and costs go down.

For example, higher pixel density per eye, and flexible displays that can dome around your peripherals and FULLY block out the real world and replace it with the virtual one. Reduce the bulk of the headset. It's already light, slim it down, lose some cables (something my family raised their eyebrows at), make it less awkward to have a "VR session". Then sell it.

I'm not one for halfway steps, especially when I'm paying out the ass for it.

But it's neat.

murgo

Guys, a couple of minutes ago, when I still had the headset on my face, I was FRIGGIN BATMAN OMFG! This shit is the most immersive thing I have EVER experienced. Looking down at my body and seeing my bat-tools.. holy crap.

To anyone who's still contemplating getting Arkham VR I can only tell you one thing: Buy it immediately.

orioto

Good Art™
Same here, tried plugging them into every USB port I could find, they only charge on Playstation's.

And they need 5 fucking hours to charge... So i have to unplug something and charge them both tonight but then i can't use the vr anymore till tomorow. wtf

You should try the full version of Here They Lie. Yikes. Rattled me a few times and I'm never really scared of horror games but it's a whole different ballgame in VR. Totally unsettling but in a good way.
Are there any jump-scares? I'm fine with scary stuff, but jump-scares in VR is a no-go for me.

Nydus

EU GAF: there is a "buy 2 save 50%" on psn. I combined fl0w with Bound and only paid 12,50€ :) i think its a nice price to snatch bound on a discount :D

Grinchy

Banned
messed around with World War Toons for a little bit, first game to kinda fuck me up, still feeling kinda woozy 20 minutes later
That's the only game to get me so far. I suggest everyone avoid it. I went from "motion sickness doesn't exist" to "I'm so scared of new games making me feel the way world war toons did"

It's one of the reasons I've stuck to mostly rigs ever since. Even the Until Dawn demo made me feel a little off the second time thru the next day after Toons

PhleBuster

Neo Member
Played Here They Lie for 20-30 minutes and it's the first VR experience that seriously made me nauseous. I'm not prone to car sickness or such, and been fine with all VR demo disc games, but this game made me break out in cold sweat and I had to take a break because I realized it's just getting worse. After 10 minutes off the set my head's still swimming.

I think it's simply the bad movement scheme - the constant disconnects from the scenery warping because you turn like 10-20 degrees at a time instead of seamlessly.

Was really creepy otherwise, was enjoying the atmosphere in VR, but I guess I need to continue in very small doses.

Can anyone tell me if VR Worlds is worth the 40€? For me it seems only Ocean Descent and London Heist are good and they don't have that much replayability.

Occam

If you are looking for a fun horror shooter, I recommend getting Brookhaven Experiment. Haven't heard much talk about this game, despite it being one of the better PSVR launch titles. Requires a PS Move for each hand.

doby

So, I ran out to Walmart last night and bought one.

Ouch...

It's neat, but this tech should not be sold yet, IMO. It's still in the early stages, fit for "proof of concept" but not for mass market appeal, and not to fulfill its potential of supplanting the TV screen.

For it to actually be "the future" it still has far too many shortcomings.

For instance, resolution. It looks as if I'm playing on very small screen and I'm getting as close as I can to it. There's a lot of detail loss and blurriness, especially when looking beyond the foreground; that right there kills it for traditional games, even for appreciating a landscape in an open world game.

It's not the complexity of the graphics on display (I'm OK with less polygons and less realistic textures, etc), but when I look at the same image on the big TV I appreciate the size : pixel density (it's not crammed into a tiny screen with the same ppi), even if I'm no longer "in" the world.

Then, there is the problem of the "diving bell" effect. I can see the black edges of the headset everywhere, so I feel like my "presence" is through a "VR diving suit" in every game. It works for the underwater game, but not so much for the rest.

Bottom line, everyone at home is having fun with it, but too much of that which I'm used to and enjoy in modern games has been turned back in time in order to demonstrate the concept of presence.

I would have been OK with demo stations here and there until the tech matures and costs go down.

For example, higher pixel density per eye, and flexible displays that can dome around your peripherals and FULLY block out the real world and replace it with the virtual one. Reduce the bulk of the headset. It's already light, slim it down, lose some cables (something my family raised their eyebrows at), make it less awkward to have a "VR session". Then sell it.

I'm not one for halfway steps, especially when I'm paying out the ass for it.

But it's neat.

Every new tech has got to start somewhere. Just look at the TV, by your thinking they shouldn't have even bothered with black and white tv's and just waited until colour was available.

Mathieran

Banned
Can anyone tell me if VR Worlds is worth the 40€? For me it seems only Ocean Descent and London Heist are good and they don't have that much replayability.

I would let it drop in price a bit. The scavenger game is kinda cool but seems to cause nausea for a lot of people although it was mostly fine for me. The only game with replayability is danger ball which I really liked. It's worth checking out once it's on sale though.

Pejo

Finally put in a few hours with this last night. Holy shit, I love it so much.

I haven't tried all the demos yet, but I had a blast with Driveclub VR, will probably purchase the full thing later tonight. RIGS wasn't really my jam, but it was an interesting system. REZ was gorgeous and really fun. Can't wait to get home and play some more.

My only singular complaint about the entire thing right now is that the cables are too damn short. The data cable between the Break Out Box and the headset is ridiculously short, like why skimp on that cable for a 399 dollar device. Anyways, I think I can fix it by buying a longer HDMI cable to hit the back of the TV, then just move the breakout box to my coffee table, but that's kinda shitty when all they had to do was make the headset cable longer.

Anyone else figured out creative ways to get around this limitation?

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Every new tech has got to start somewhere. Just look at the TV, by your thinking they shouldn't have even bothered with black and white tv's and just waited until colour was available.

That analogy doesn't really work, though.

I still have a TV, I can still play games.

Before TVs, what was there to watch at home?

motodd

Got a launch bundle on launch day and have had three sessions since. My overall impressions are positive and the tech is definitely a keeper and I do not have buyers remorse at all. I went in blind and had not tried modern VR so that first experience was mind blowing, to say the least. I did the Ocean Descent - Shark Encounter in VR Worlds first and holy crap that was amazing, it’s a well done experience and when it was finished I ripped the headset off and ran around the house saying OMG to myself over and over. All the other mini-games on VR Worlds are fun and look great for the most part except for VR Luge, not gonna play that one again most likely. As others have said, the opening to VR Worlds and the sphere you can interact with, in the menus, is quite good and very entertaining.

I have also tried about half the demos on the demo disc and aside from DriveClub I enjoyed them all. DriveClub was very blurry, made me slightly queasy and just did not ‘feel’ right. I’ll give it another go at some point though.

Bought Rez, MIND BLOWN again. If you have played this in the past and enjoy it you will really like it in VR methinks. Cannot wait for Area X.

I do have some negative impressions or there are things that are disappointing about it to me. One is that it is a very mild chore to actually play a game. Gotta hook up the headset, fidget with it to get the sweet spot for viewing, maybe do some resetting of the camera or headset, ensure that your children/pets are occupied or sitting, have the controller/move controllers nearby in an easy to reach place (if both are needed) vs just siting down, turning on the console and playing a game. I will adjust and adapt but this was something I was not expecting or not prepared for. Another is that while it is very comfortable with glasses I have already scratched the headset lenses with my glasses. I cannot tell or do not get good feedback with how close my eyes/glasses are to the lenses and with the above mentioned fidgeting, I have touched them with my glasses I guess. I have only noticed the scratch when looking at the lenses while not wearing the headset, have not noticed anything at all while playing so that’s good.

One last thing to mention that has caught me off guard and is mildly depressing but to be expected I guess is that how it affects me physically, or I think physically. I have never been prone to motion sickness (queasiness or nausea, etc.) in my life and have not experienced much with VR, but after each session of games and demos I am affected. Wore out? Mentally exhausted? It’s just tiring and that bums me out. Ideally I will get used to it and adapt and be able to play without being drained. Kinda wish Sony would include a timer in the dashboard interface to set play times or something. Using my phone right now.

Still need to try the Playroom and the video apps and then to get to Area X. I am looking forward to this new way to play though :)

phant0m

I would let it drop in price a bit. The scavenger game is kinda cool but seems to cause nausea for a lot of people although it was mostly fine for me. The only game with replayability is danger ball which I really liked. It's worth checking out once it's on sale though.

Scavengers Odyssey is better than either of them imo. I'd pay $20 just for that one by itself.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Bought Rez, MIND BLOWN again. If you have played this in the past and enjoy it you will really like it in VR methinks. Cannot wait for Area X.

Turn on glance aiming. Yeah, the game gets easier, but that's not the point. You're suddenly a lot more free to just look around and take it all in.

And that's before Area X.

There was radio, newspapers, board games, books, you could go to the theater. Lots of things.

You can play games without a VR headset, yes. You can't be in a game though.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
THUMPER is exhilarating! BREATHTAKING! When you lean into the curves you can really feel it like...smack yourself in the face.

Sony needs to do a better job of explaining what games support what. I sat on the main screen of thumper for like 2 minutes mashing the Move button until I realized it doesn't support move...

TheBear

Is the general consensus that seated experiences are better with the camera mounted below the TV and standing experiences are better on the top of the TV? I have had zero issues with tracking whilst the camera is below when seated, but standing it all goes to shit. I don't have amount so I can't test mving the camera to the top

doby

The TV was an affordable way for people to watch moving images in thier home for the first time. The PSVR is an affordable way for people to watch immersive images in thier home for the first time. It's a similar situation. You could argue that Google cardboard offered this first but it's an inferior experience anyway and it's the experience quality that you have a problem with.

Is the general consensus that seated experiences are better with the camera mounted below the TV and standing experiences are better on the top of the TV? I have had zero issues with tracking whilst the camera is below when seated, but standing it all goes to shit. I don't have amount so I can't test mving the camera to the top

I have my camera on top of my TV, and it works fantastic for sitting and standing. We haven't had any issues really at all, whether I am playing, or either of my 10 and 12 year old daughters.

My camera is almost exactly 4 ft, or 48 inches up from the floor, attached to the top of my TV. I am playing about 76 inches, or 6ft and 4 inches away from the TV. I have just moved a kitchen chair or my daughters big lounge chair into the room and we sit on that. It has worked really really well for us, from the moment we started! Both chairs are standard kitchen chair type height.

ckohler

Until today, all I'd played was the demo disc. I just played through Batman VR and the first two levels of Rush of Blood.

Holy shit! Both of these make the demo disc look like garbage, imo. I can not stress this enough. Batman's sense of presence, graphics, motion capture and overall concept was lightyears ahead in quality than anything I'd done on the demo disc. Rush of Blood's graphics, presence was almost equally impressive. Rush of Blood also has the best 3D audio I've heard and is just a damn fun game. Batman is more of a puzzle game/simulator (which is amaizing) while Rush of Blood is a straight up survival game ala House of the Dead.

I don't think the demo demo disc does PSVR justice as much as these two games do.

dochuge

If you are looking for a fun horror shooter, I recommend getting Brookhaven Experiment. Haven't heard much talk about this game, despite it being one of the better PSVR launch titles. Requires a PS Move for each hand.

I was looking at this one and there's absolutely no information about the PS4 version. The vive version is supposed to be good. Are the controls responsive and aiming accurate using the move controllers?

Cartman86

Banned

I can't speak for PSVR yet since mine hasn't arrived, but there are Vive games that require VR and the experience found in the headset is nothing at all like what they would make on a 2D screen. These aren't just cockpit games where you can picture a non-VR version. I think that's a fair analogy to TV. It might not be a perfect one and it depends entirely on the development community not fucking up (and there are specific people who are very much fucking up right now). There were plenty of people at the time who thought the home radio was good enough.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Jump in, water's fine. ;)
I was going to wait until Pro was out, but today I visited electronic store and while they were initially sold-out, just as we were about to leave, staff dropped off 3 extra boxes on the floor. So how could I say no to that :p
Yeah I jumped in after thinking about it for awhile.

I'm not prepared like I assume others are that were anticipating to get this so I'm now in the process of downloading all the demos and such.

Need to investigate the stuff that I'm going to get now.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

People were plenty entertained at home prior to television. TV wasn't considered anywhere near must have for 10 plus years, similar to every new technology. There wasn't a ton of content, radio networks were relatively slow to transition to TV studios, etc.

TV is a great analogy. It was content limited and inferior to the cinema in almost every way.

Schlomo

I have never been prone to motion sickness (queasiness or nausea, etc.) in my life and have not experienced much with VR, but after each session of games and demos I am affected. Wore out? Mentally exhausted? It’s just tiring and that bums me out. Ideally I will get used to it and adapt and be able to play without being drained.

Yeah, I'm feeling the same. On my first few tries I couldn't play for more than half an hour. But today, I played almost 2 hours before I got exhausted, so I hope I will slowly adapt. Still, it will probably never be as relaxing as playing on a TV.

BiGBoSSMk23

The TV was an affordable way for people to watch moving images in thier home for the first time. The PSVR is an affordable way for people to watch immersive images in thier home for the first time. It's a similar situation. You could argue that Google cardboard offered this first but it's an inferior experience anyway and it's the experience quality that you have a problem with.

Not really similar.

The alternative back then was radio.

The alternative today is UHD TVs/3D and fully fledged games.

Let's see this iteration of PSVR try to do more than on rails stuff successfully.

Okay, where do I get this damn safe combo from in London Heist?

You have to grab the vase in front of you on the desk, and set it on the box/drawer on the left side of the desk. There is a spot on the draw/box that is a glowing blue ring, put the vase/urn on that glowing blue disk.

BiGBoSSMk23

Okay, where do I get this damn safe combo from in London Heist?

There's a golden urn in one of the upper drawers that you place on top of the desk on the left, just like the one right.

It opens the bottom drawer where there's a note pad with numbers.

Majmun

I'm really hoping there will a lot of crazy tech demo's released soon. For free. Like Kitchen.

I just love fuckin around with my set. Such an awesome experience.

Bought Thumper, Rez and Until Blood. Love it so far.

Naudi

Banned
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First ever experience with VR and even the intro to VR worlds was mind blowing. Then i tried London Heist and the first time that scary dude walked towards me i was legit scared. Best part was in the car and opening the door to watch the road fly by below you and the sence of being there is unreal.

Bit of a ramble but i feel like i just did an amazing drug lol

So does anyone know what the cause of the drift is? I'm having a blast but the only issue is every few minutes it feels like I have to turn my head more and more to stay aligned and recentering doesn't always help. By the end of the Driveclub demo race the results screen was way off to the left when I was facing forward.

phant0m

Not really similar.

The alternative back then was radio.

The alternative today is UHD TVs/3D and fully fledged games.

Let's see this iteration of PSVR try to do more than on rails stuff successfully.

Scavengers Odyssey. It's linear, but not on rails. Also my favorite thing so far along with the Playroom Platformer, also not on rails.

KillGore

Fellow GAF member gifted me a PSVR (Thanks Dead Prince!). Just tried it. It's great! That's not to say it doesn't have some cons, because the screen resolution could be better but the tracking and the immersion is great. Haven't really noticed any screen door effect and I use it on a completely pitch black room. Driveclub was amazing to play but man are the graphics bad. It gives me hope for what future VR will be like. Luckily I didn't get any motion sickness and man was it fun to drive in VR.

Thumper is probably my favorite game. So much speed and the music is great too. When I take those corners I find myself jerking towards the direction I need to go, naturally. It's crazy.

Rigs was also fun. The only thing is that it feels somewhat awkward to move around. It sometimes feels a bit clunky. Wish I could move like being in a Titan on Titanfall.

Going to buy Thumper and SuperHyperCube.

Naudi

Banned
Dude, there is no way this is a fad after people try it they will all want one. I hope anyway. Im super excited thinking about all the adventure games just based off having to open a box to find a key to unlock ammo in Heist. It was actually uncomfortable when he pointed the loaded gun at my face. Man im jacked up from that lol

So does anyone know what the cause of the drift is? I'm having a blast but the only issue is every few minutes it feels like I have to turn my head more and more to stay aligned and recentering doesn't always help. By the end of the Driveclub demo race the results screen was way off to the left when I was facing forward.

When re centering hold the controller still and flat and the headset still and level looking at your natural direction - hopefully to the camera - and do the long option press.
Imu Drift can be worse with temperature changes I don't know if that's a problem with this stuff, probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom