• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First ever experience with VR and even the intro to VR worlds was mind blowing. Then i tried London Heist and the first time that scary dude walked towards me i was legit scared. Best part was in the car and opening the door to watch the road fly by below you and the sence of being there is unreal.

Bit of a ramble but i feel like i just did an amazing drug lol

I opened the car door, leaned out to shoot at the motorcycles, and got scared I would fall out of the car. Then I laughed "Its just a freaking video game"

I seriously had that feeling of dread, like that feeling when you think you are going to fall or something scares you, when I thought I could fall out of the car.

Man, I wish someone would make a full London Heist type game, even if it is just a bigger collection of shooting, investigating, puzzle scenarios. I loved that demo.

Has anyone managed to avoid light leak on the bottom of the headset? For the life of me, I can't figure out how to position the headset so that I'm 100% immersed.

Yea Here's what I do:

Position the headset so it's comfy, then push the back band up ever so slighty and turn the dial a touch and it eliminates it totally for me

orioto

Good Art™
I did want to try some othr things before i use my ps4 usb to charge those moves, and OMG

So, i tried Alumette. This is in the VR experiences.
This is in-cre-di-ble. My most immersive experience for now on PSVR. It's just narrative, no interaction. It's basically a real time movie where you can look where you want, but in real 3D.

I don't know if somoene else will think like me but when i saw that i was like "GIVE ME A GAME LIKE THAT"

That makes me realize any static camera rpg would be sensational with VR actually. This movie is basically Bravely Default in VR, i swear. Having a wonderful scenery with a fix pov and watching characters evolved, is amazing. You could change camera when moving and it would work perfectly for combats to. This is mesmerizing, try it.

Also tried the cinematic mode. Well, i was suprised how enjoyable it is actually. The rez is way enough when making the screen the bigger you can. It looks like you're a little too close to a giant movie screen. They could make that wayyyyyyyyy better by:
_Making the big screen slightly further, and higher compared to us. That would feel like a real movie theater. I'm not sure a 3D theater is needed around.
Also make those damn 3D content work in 3D and i would totally watch things here. I mean i put Netflix and Luke Cage was impressive as fuck
(especially the sex scene from the first episode!).

Shoeless

So, i tried Alumette. This is in the VR experiences.
This is in-cre-di-ble. My most immersive experience for now on PSVR. It's just narrative, no interaction. It's basically a real time movie where you can look where you want, but in real 3D.

I don't know if somoene else will think like me but when i saw that i was like "GIVE ME A GAME LIKE THAT"

Diorama style games like that are going to be amazing in VR. I'm pretty sure the RTS and TBS strategy games are going to make a return. Also Sim games like Civilization, Sim City and others would be a natural for just looking down at your city and seeing all the moving parts.

Also, if EA is NOT trying to make a VR version of The Sims, they are officially not interested in money anymore. Making your own house, populating it with people and then being able to interact with it "doll house" style, or in first person at ground level would be incredible.

Yea Here's what I do:

Position the headset so it's comfy, then push the back band up ever so slighty and turn the dial a touch and it eliminates it totally for me

Yep, the headset doesn't seem to work properly, when it feels like you have it on properly.

I put it on by first pulling the screen all the way out. I put the headset on my head, then have to reach back on the strap going around behind my head, and pull it up towards the ceiling. You will feel the screen pull closer to your face, at least the lower portion of the screen and the rubber lining along the bottom of the screen will snap a bit towards your cheeks. .

Then you can move the screen, using the button, closer to your face till it looks and feels right. Then, as my daughters say, "Dial it in" on the back of the strap. You may get a bit of light in through the nose, but it doesn' really bother me. I have been having my bigger sessions at night, in the dark.

Naudi

Banned
My wife is playing the Ocean game now and she is screaming so loud cause of the shark lol...looks like i wont be scalping it ;) My plan worked!

hesido

The 3D audio is still not going to work anywhere near as well. It only works with headsets because it's simulating being "recorded" with a special stereo mike(they actually exist), which has the two microphones separated by the same distance as the average humans ears. Even on the best surround set in the world, it's not going to be close.

Fair point, for full effect of presence, headsets would be required. The general directionality should not be a problem though, normally.

SpeedNut

Well i still have mine sitting here unopened...I bought it with hopes of flipping for $, but in reality that was a trojan horse to get it in the house lol. Been showing my wife demos and today she said she almost wants to say screw it and keep it. Wish me luck bros I'm on the 1 yard line!

Sounds like you need to drop the Kitchen bomb on her. Wear a cup first.

I'm scared to even post here,

Anywho, is there a release list for games coming in the next 6 months?

Just go to the Upcoming PSVR games thread here on Neogaf.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1044658

If the game has a date, they keep it up to date. Problem is, there aren't any dated VR Games really after Resident Evil in January. There are tons of games coming, they just haven't really released the dates yet.

RoyalFool

Banned
Spent some time today just trying to find the optimal headset position, and just wanted to run this past other owners to find out if it's just me or not. I can get the text in the pop-up menu to be almost perfect by lifting the back up quite high and wearing it as low down on my face as I can without hurting my nose too much, I find my left eye is always harder to get it sharp with where as my right eye has usually fine regardless of calibration.

However, when in game there is a sweet spot - and anything closer than that appears really quite blurry. An example is picking up the mobile phone - if I hold it a few virtual feet in front of me it looks OK, but if I try to hold it really close to my face to make out finer details and the number, it somehow gets worse and more out of focus. Adore the system, but curious if it's my eyes, the way I'm wearing the headset, or just 'normal' - I guess it's hard to really know due to the nature of VR.

In the playroom I really wanted to get a good look at the toys by holding them closer, it's a bit annoying having to stay a few feet away to get the best focus of them.

Dang. So I guess 3D Blu Rays don't output in 3D to the PSVR? It's outputting the stereoscopic 3D on my 3DTV but watching in Cinemamode on PS4/VR is just a 2D image.

Lame.

ryseing

Im an RPG, Action/adventure, Story based, content driven gamer. Best games ive played lately, are witcher 3, Far Cry Primal, BLoodborne, Dark Souls 3, Uncharted 4. Looking forward to World of FF, FF15, RE7, Horizon, Last Gaurdian...

Are there games like these, or some variation of these, coming to PSVR at some point"?

Farpoint should be up your alley. I'm echoing other thoughts that those games wouldn't really work in VR though. Devs are going to have to break what we view as traditional game design tenets in order to have a good VR experience.

Headmaster is a really nice, really polished little gem of a game with a lot of actual gameplay. I played 24 levels now and two exams (I think it has 40) and it is very nicely done.

Triz

Question, Sportsbar VR is not out in North America right? But released in Europe? I see people talking about how great it is but can't find it on the store.

Question, Sportsbar VR is not out in North America right? But released in Europe? I see people talking about how great it is but can't find it on the store.

I was curious too, because Best Buy has the Digital Code for sale right now. And it doesn't say it is a preorder.

Illucio

Banned
I'm not sure if it's smudging on the lenses or if the fabled protective tape is on the lens. But there is a small blur in the lens and I'm not sure what it is.

I looked into the lens and it could just be a smudge that won't go away, but the lines inside the PSVR seemed kinda smudge, or is that how it's reflected?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Wayward Sky makes a super good first impression based on the demo.

doesn't work, 6 red blinking and nothing more
Blinking is what the Move controller does when it's charging in the docking station, too.

Of course without a USB multimeter you can't know for sure, but I think blinking is a good sign when connected to power.

So, I ran out to Walmart last night and bought one.

Ouch...

It's neat, but this tech should not be sold yet, IMO. It's still in the early stages, fit for "proof of concept" but not for mass market appeal, and not to fulfill its potential of supplanting the TV screen.

For it to actually be "the future" it still has far too many shortcomings.

For instance, resolution. It looks as if I'm playing on very small screen and I'm getting as close as I can to it. There's a lot of detail loss and blurriness, especially when looking beyond the foreground; that right there kills it for traditional games, even for appreciating a landscape in an open world game.

It's not the complexity of the graphics on display (I'm OK with less polygons and less realistic textures, etc), but when I look at the same image on the big TV I appreciate the size : pixel density (it's not crammed into a tiny screen with the same ppi), even if I'm no longer "in" the world.

Then, there is the problem of the "diving bell" effect. I can see the black edges of the headset everywhere, so I feel like my "presence" is through a "VR diving suit" in every game. It works for the underwater game, but not so much for the rest.

Bottom line, everyone at home is having fun with it, but too much of that which I'm used to and enjoy in modern games has been turned back in time in order to demonstrate the concept of presence.

I would have been OK with demo stations here and there until the tech matures and costs go down.

For example, higher pixel density per eye, and flexible displays that can dome around your peripherals and FULLY block out the real world and replace it with the virtual one. Reduce the bulk of the headset. It's already light, slim it down, lose some cables (something my family raised their eyebrows at), make it less awkward to have a "VR session". Then sell it.

I'm not one for halfway steps, especially when I'm paying out the ass for it.

But it's neat.

You do realize its running off the PS4 and is the cheapest VR of the big three? I think you went in expecting a $1000 experience instead of the $400 starter package that it is.As for everything your demanding before VR is sold to the masses well that would put it out of reach in price for the average person not to mention the hardware needed to render that pixel density.That would again like the past make VR a very expensive niche hobby that only the rich and arcades would be able to afford.Then we'd have the problem of nobody wanting to develope games for something with a tiny insatl base,hell I'd bet they'd just come with built in games looking like straight out of The Lawnmower Man.

Shoeless

I didn't like Driveclub VR, but I liked london heist is there any good horror game IMO this will be great in RE7

Capcom needs to go back to the drawing board for a better control system for RE7. They tried at an event earlier in the year to show off a VR version of RE7, but it used the traditional L3/R3 system of motion. It made everyone who played it nauseous.

Also, even though I'm looking forward to RE7, and have PS VR, I may voluntarily NOT play it that way. It might be too much. VR immediately creates a much greater sense of fear and dread, to the point where it may not actually be fun/thrilling anymore, but actually harmful and stressful, depending on the person. Not much happens in Here They Lie, aside from the occasional jump scare, but just being IN the environment and knowing you're not safe from any direction is enough to create a perpetual sense of dread.

With a regular horror game, you know the danger is always "in front" of you, and your side and back are safe. You only see bad things when you move the camera around. With VR, because of the immersion, with good sound design, you don't have that safety net. Nowhere is safe.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Is there an actual demo of Superhypercube available? When I launch the demo from the demo disc, it only has the title screen and an option to buy.

Happy to say after a reboot it works without issues. I'll 100% peg that on software.

When playing job sim there's definitely a tinge of movement while standing but I'm fairly certain that's just because it's almost impossible to stand dead still. By a tinge I mean exactly as I would expect from tracking being 100% - didnt even feel slightly jarred. I worked rhe clerk desk for an hour straight overcharging customers hahaha!

Until Dawn and Battlezone were perfect when seated, too.

Reboot for tracking works. I expect an update to help fix this when putting the PS4 in standby.

Just set my headset up and played for the first time. Harmonix Music demo was pretty cool but I don't know if it's worth $15. Then I just decided to test my motion sickness limits. I was fine with Eve: Valkyrie but after two minutes in Driveclub VR I had to take the headset off.

DukeBobby

Move controllers seem to be sold out everywhere in the UK. I knew I should have ordered a pair when I bought the PSVR.

Oh well, I guess I'll stick with the DualShock 4 for a little while.

hawk2025

Catlateral Damage.

This is super-cheap right now due to the Flash Sale, so I gave it a shot.

There's not much to the VR mode. To avoid movement, your "cat" is basically always stationary, and you only "aim" where you want to jump, to then turn using buttons and using two move controllers as your paws. Very rudimentary.

It's cute, but without the full movement it doesn't even really work within the rules of the game. Highlight of the game was scratching a cat-post with my two "paws" :p

Fair point, for full effect of presence, headsets would be required. The general directionality should not be a problem though, normally.
True, but the primary purpose of the sound being sent to the speakers is to support the social-screen. For the person not in VR, what you want the sound to do doesn't make any sense.
Not really similar.

The alternative back then was radio.

The alternative today is UHD TVs/3D and fully fledged games.

Let's see this iteration of PSVR try to do more than on rails stuff successfully.
Everything is relative. For people back then, radio was just as amazing as a UHD 3D TV is to you now.

Move controllers seem to be sold out everywhere in the UK. I knew I should have ordered a pair when I bought the PSVR.

Oh well, I guess I'll stick with the DualShock 4 for a little while.

I ordered mine online at John Lewis at 6pm and picked them up at 9am the next morning. Could be worth a look

I'm really hoping there will a lot of crazy tech demo's released soon. For free. Like Kitchen.

I just love fuckin around with my set. Such an awesome experience.

yup. I love kitchen, its awesome...but it's a one and done. I really hope we can get some more cool stuff like that sooner than later.

FaintDeftone

Hoping to get more time with PSVR tonight. I just purchased Until Dawn today and I have Batman coming tomorrow from Amazon. Still have some more demos to play too. Tomorrow I'm taking it to a buddy's house to demo it for a group of friends.

SpeedNut

So I finally played World War Toons beta today, and damn that thing needs work. The controls and where it even moves the camera are just fubar. Not even a tracking problem. So much opportunity there if they can fix the visual issues.

dyergram

Just tried playroom with the gf. She was a complete skeptic and 3D doesn't work for her at all. Yet she was pretty amazed she kept asking if I could see what she could looking all arround trying to grab things. We tried every demo the cat one is fucking hillarious how it changes your voice. Basically she's gone from this is a waste of money gimic to this is a waste of money but it's amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom