• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK the VR playroom platforming stuff is amazing. Been said before but we need a full game of this.

I bought Driveclub VR - didn't really play it yet.
Then I bought RIGS - didn't play it yet at all.

Now you're telling me to play Playroom VR after having finished the demo disc.

I'm starting to feel like there is simply too much content. It's like you are building up a backlog for a platform that's not even out for a week, kinda hilarious (
and pretty great
).

Is it common for text to be blurry/screen door effect? I thought impressions said there was no screen door effect but its VERY visible to me.

Screen door effect no not really, potentially blurry/rainbowy text yes.
I've found the text thing comes up more in a few of the apps than in the games. The demo disc main menu could have used some more AA though.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Agreed with people on wayward sky demo I loved it. The reviews are pretty weak though, has anybody played the full game? At 20 dollars are probably get it to explore the vr stuff

Waveset

Scavengers Odyssey chapter 2 just wrecked my brain in a minute. I stopped playing immediately.

Edit: the good news my nausea goes away after 5 minutes of rest. But locomotion doesn't bode well for me so far.

I couldn't stand more than a couple of minutes in this. Everything also has been fine but I had to take the headset of a chill for a while.

TheBear

I posted impressions earlier of Sports Bar VR and didn't have a great experience. I tried some different things like clearing out my play area and playing in front of the left lens on the camera and had a much better time with the game. Tracking is still not perfect but when you work within the limitations it's a lot of fun. Also finally worked out the controls which aren't very intuitive but can get used to.

As for the games themselves, managed to understand how to play pool and it works ok, darts is really difficult as the tracking goes to shit when a controller is in your face, skee ball is too sensitive and balls fly everywhere. Air Hockey is spot on though.

However, the highlight was entering a room with 5 other players and just fucking around in the bar. I setup a bunch a beer bottles and we started playing pool and knocking the bottles over, two of us played darts whilst one guy stood in front of the dart board and ducked the incoming darts, and then someone started throwing a jukebox around.
This is is exactly the type of dumbshit I wanted out of this game :

Sony if they play it smart and ensure they get the content coming are onto a winner with this. First or third party it doesn't matter just get it coming and make sure it is good don't let it get filled with shovelware crap.

I had a bunch of friends come visit today (not because of VR, totally unrelated) and most wanted to check out PSVR but it was the reaction from people who don't play games that was the most impressive. For those that play games I gave them the save the robot short in Playrooms VR to check out, I think it is a good test of their stomach for VR and the immersion is great and they all wanted more by the end but for those that don't play games I gave them VR world demo and they were just blown away, I just let them mess about afterwards and it may have sold more than a few PS4's with the intention to get VR when they can get it. Prior to this not a single one of those people gave a flying fuck what the PS4 was about but every single one wanted to know everything about it afterwards.

dochuge

Any thoughts here on Job Simulator?

The demo was very impressive, I am just worried that for $40 the whole thing would get stale quickly.
It's 30 not 20. I like it a lot. There's a bunch of items to interact with and 4 different jobs to take on. It's light hearted and humorous . The issue I'm having is sometimes the tracking with the move controllers can be problematic and finicky. I don't know what the sweet spot for the camera is yet. For me it worked better at the base of the tv rather on top of it. It works most of the time and really puts you in a small but interactive VR world.

FireCloud

I ordered a nice glass mannequin head to store my PSVR on. Should be quite nice.

Just be careful of sunlight. Don't know if it refracts through the mannequin if you are at the same damage of scorching the PSVR screen. I opted for one of those hard shell cases to keep all light away from it when I'm not using it. (I was worried about the sunlight moving across it sometime during the day if I forgot and left it sitting out.)

Okay the Playroom platformer

I was okay with Nintendo saying they weren't sure VR was a "fit" with their stuff

BULLSHIT

BULLSHIT. That and Rez made me NEED Mario or Star Fox.

^__^ I still can't get over how amazing PSVR is. Eve Valkyrie, RIGS, Driveclub VR, etc.

I feel like a little kid again playing 3D games on the PS1 for the first time.

corin7

Neo Member
OMG Rez. This is the 4th time I have bought it, every purchase justified. But seriously omfg, Rez Infinite is 100% amazeballs.

gwarm01

Do any of the games on the demo disc use the move controllers? I feel like I bought them for nothing. Also.. are the games unlockable and already on the disc or do you have to download them?

So I can't play horror VR games

How were you able to move so fast? When I played my guy just slowly walked..

King_Moc

Banned
Wow, the Move tracking in Tumble is basically perfect. It's like using a Vive controller. How come it only works that well for that one game?

OMG Rez. This is the 4th time I have bought it, every purchase justified. But seriously omfg, Rez Infinite is 100% amazeballs.
Yea and it's easily the best version yet. Also in VR the easiest. The last boss in Area 5 was super hard for me back in the day but in VR it was a breeze.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Wow, the Move tracking in Tumble is basically perfect. It's like using a Vive controller. How come it only works that well for that one game?

Probably because it doesn't lol, think you just got lucky. No doubt it works ENOUGH to have a playable game, but it's far from perfect.

I went into VR completely blind. Never tried any headset before I bought my PS VR. To makes things worse, my eyes cannot get right the stereoscopic 3D of the 3DS, so I had some bad feeling I needed to clean out. I have Driveclub VR, Until Dawn : Rush of Blood, Rez Infinite and Thumper.

As much as I didn't expect the IQ to be so blurry and aliased (Rush of Blood, Driveclub VR) I didn't knew either VR was so addictive and mindblowing. The Area X from Rez was one of my greatest gaming moment of the year, Thumper is a devilish experience (fuck that last boss though), Rush of Blood was delightfuly new -and I swore before I would never spend one penny in a fucking rail shooter.

I don't know how I will manage VR in my general game schedule in the long run (the ball is also on the big publishers court), but right now I'm not afraid to say PS VR gave me a legit Super Mario 64 effect. This week, I've just discovered video games again.

Has there been any confirmation how the Pro will improve VR titles? Do they already have a pro mode built in ready to go?

Edit: just saw someone asked lol.

Loudninja

Has there been any confirmation how the Pro will improve VR titles? Do they already have a pro mode built in ready to go?

Edit: just saw someone asked lol.
Q: Will PS4 Pro support PlayStation VR?
PS4 Pro will fully support PlayStation VR just like the standard PS4. It’s important to note that PlayStation VR’s integrated display tops out at 1920 x 1080; it does not support 4K output. Also, the PS VR headset does not support HDR features.

That said, PS4 Pro’s upgraded processing power will give VR developers the ability to enhance their experiences with higher quality graphics, smoother or more stable framerates, and visual improvements in supported games. Developers can also choose to add PS4 Pro features to PS VR games post launch via a downloadable update.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/08/ps4-pro-the-ultimate-faq/

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
If anyone is curious, don't even bother with Job Simulator. The tracking is so bad.

It kind of works, but I made a post saying yesterday that it's really such a tease. The more stuff you grab the more out of wack the move controllers get. The head tracking works fine though.

Agreed with people on wayward sky demo I loved it. The reviews are pretty weak though, has anybody played the full game? At 20 dollars are probably get it to explore the vr stuff

I bought it last night after absolutely loving the demo so I haven't had the chance just yet. During my quick check before buying it I think I read that it's rather short and quite easy, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's probably putting the score in the middle with gamer reviews looking for more challenge. With this game neither of those things are really an issue for me though as it'll be only the second full game I will have played and I loved the demo a ton, it's pretty cool even just getting to play something like it that seems so really well done, I don't really need it be a challenge yet.

The IGN review seemed pretty nice, implying it's short but that the length is pretty spot on. So I'm just going in knowing that it'll be kinda short and light but fun.

Carl

What a cool idea! Link?

Uh it was on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291784608721?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Just be careful of sunlight. Don't know if it refracts through the mannequin if you are at the same damage of scorching the PSVR screen. I opted for one of those hard shell cases to keep all light away from it when I'm not using it. (I was worried about the sunlight moving across it sometime during the day if I forgot and left it sitting out.)

No worries, thanks for the tip - i'll be storing it somewhere where the sunlight can't damage the lenses :)

HotHamBoy

I haven't been keeping up since launch. Is it generally agreed now that VR is a Real Thing that is just going to get better with future iterations?

Can we finally put to rest the debate that this is a gimmick and a fad and the next wiimote? That it's going to be a slow build up to something great, not an instant success? That the technology and developer techniques have to grow, like 3D/polygonal games?

That the potential goes way beyond games, and that it will exist alongside traditional gaming rather than replacing it?

Seriously. It's been exhausting.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I bought it last night after absolutely loving the demo so I haven't had the chance just yet. During my quick check before buying it I think I read that it's rather short and quite easy, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's probably putting the score in the middle with gamer reviews. With this game neither of those things are really an issue for me though as it'll be only the second full game I will have played and I loved the demo a ton, it's pretty cool even just getting to play something like it that seems so really well done, I don't really need it be a challenge yet.

The IGN review seemed pretty nice, implying it's short but that the length is pretty spot on. So I'm just going in knowing that it'll be kinda short and light but fun.

Yeah that was the indication I got. Most of what I read mentioned it's very charming which was apparent from the short demo. I figured if it was just more of that I could easily get 20 dollars worth. Hopefully it'll lead to more full length titles in the same vein. Point and click seems pretty ideal for vr and move.

Yeah that was the indication I got. Most of what I read mentioned it's very charming which was apparent from the short demo. I figured if it was just more of that I could easily get 20 dollars worth. Hopefully it'll lead to more full length titles in the same vein. Point and click seems pretty ideal for vr and move.

Completely agree. I thought it was worth buying to have some more of it, I want more like this.

DryvBy

Not true at all.

Try recalibrating or moving your camera.

I did that before playing again. Even rehooked everything up. It's the one game that keeps making my body twitch around every know and again.

edit: Where is everyone using their camera? Top or bottom of the TV?

Taker666

Is it just me or does everyone have to adjust their camera when you go from a sitting to a standing game?

Quite annoying, I'm finding it hard to find a happy medium that works for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom