• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flandy

So, I tried to connect my Sony Pulse headphones wireless but it gave me an error? Does it not work? or does it only work if I connect it to the aux port? won't that affect the virtual surround sound?

3D sound is better than the VSS the Wireless Sony headsets provides. Just connect it via the headphone jack

dogpowerd

Banned
So this might be a dumb question but I'm someone who gets really queasy reading while in a moving car does that mean that I will be more likely to get sick using VR?

tr00per

Thanks.

That... doesn't sound good to me and i can spot issues that affect image quality quite easily (much to my chagrin), guess i will wait until i can try one first hand and make my purchasing decision afterwards.

Thanks for your response man.

No problem. If you're worried (which is understandable) just see if you can try it out yourself.

Same thing happened to me! Tracking was SPOT-ON in the morning, then in the evening I got the same issue you're describing. I think it might be due to three reasons:

- TV is projecting light onto you and it's confusing the camera - this would be far more of an issue during the night with the lights off than it would be during the day. Try turning the TV off, or turning some lights on in the room
- Camera works better during the daytime than in relative darkness? I've no idea if this is really the case, but try turning some lights on.
- I calibrated the lights on the headset. No idea why I did that to be honest as it was pretty much perfect the way it was, but the tracking problems started after this calibration which I also did in the evening. I doubt this is the culprit, but who knows.

Weird. By all accounts it should work better in the dark with less things for the camera to accidentally pick up

So, I tried to connect my Sony Pulse headphones wireless but it gave me an error? Does it not work? or does it only work if I connect it to the aux port? won't that affect the virtual surround sound?

Binaural (3D) audio only works when hard wired to the headset. You won't use the Virtual surround sound it's completely different tech.

Speaking of which... where are the light gun games at? Where's my Area 51, my Time Crisis, my arcade Swat games? Shooting feels so damn good with the Move controllers. The shooting segments of Until Dawn were awesome. The shooting range is awesome in Heist. I hate to be the "more shooters" guy, but...I want more shooters.

In short, I want WinBack VR. Make it happen Sony.

Agreed. I hope VR brings the rail shooter revolution. Right now we have until dawn, Brookhaven, the London heist, and Mortal blitz.

There was a post a couple of pages ago asking about and hdmi error but I can't seem to find it to quote. Just make sure all the cables are fully plugged in

Tagg9

People crying about the resolution.. Lol if you tried the 2 first Oculus versions... This is actually really good for vr.

Just because it's good for VR doesn't mean it's good enough period. I think the resolution is probably the number issue with VR headsets today, and it's not going to be fixed for another few years (when the available hardware is powerful enough to push 4K resolutions at 60fps+).

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
So this might be a dumb question but I'm someone who gets really queasy reading while in a moving car does that mean that I will be more likely to get sick using VR?

My girlfriend gets sick when she reads in the car but has really enjoyed PSVR so far. Mileage may vary though of course.

Tagg9

I also get easily carsick but I seem to have an iron stomach when it comes to PlayStation VR. Only felt sick once during RIGS after about ~20 hours of total playtime with the headset.

orioto

Good Art™
Just because it's good for VR doesn't mean it's good enough period. I think the resolution is probably the number issue with VR headsets today, and it's not going to be fixed for another few years (when the available hardware is powerful enough to push 4K resolutions at 60fps+).

If the game is well built around it it's not a problem at all. There are many games on psvr where you completely forget about the resolution .

Belfast

Alright, so I wanted to round out that $100 on the PS Store for the $15 code. Here's what I've bought since launch

PS Worlds (included)
Thumper
Tumble VR
Superhypercube
Headmaster
Rush of Blood
Brookhaven Experiment

RIGS and Battlezone look nice, but I feel like the price point of the latter might actually be hurting sales. Not a lot of people around here talking about it.

My total is a bit closer to $120 above. Might use the $15 towards Wayward Sky or Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes (though that would be a double-dip for me, since I have it on the PC). Job Sim is fun, but I feel like I got a lot of that already playing on someone else's Vive and $30 is a tad high for that. No real interest in Batman, as cool as I'm sure it is.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I can't believe Arkham VR is 19.99. WOWOWOWOWOWOW. Finished it and I'm ABSOLUTELY BLOOWOWOWOWOWOWN away by the possibilities of VR now. The other games were like HOLY SHIT THIS IN INTENSE AND MY MIND ASPLODE but this game actually made me THINK I was in another world.

First of all, the graphics are amazing. The small details that make you feel like the world is real. Smoke. Steam. Fog. Animals. Amazing models. FANTASTIC 3D SOUND. Then the gameplay. It's actually FUN! You FEEL LIKE THE BATMAN!!!!

I LOVED the hand integration. You are the BATMAN!!!

One day they will figure out how to nail movement with combat and actual TV games WILL be obsolete. Maybe it's room scale + some kind of force feedback. Not sure.

I would pay SO MUCH for experiences like this. This is unlike anything in gaming!!!!

Flandy

I can't believe Arkham VR is 19.99. WOWOWOWOWOWOW. Finished it and I'm ABSOLUTELY BLOOWOWOWOWOWOWN away by the possibilities of VR now. The other games were like HOLY SHIT THIS IN INTENSE AND MY MIND ASPLODE but this game actually made me THINK I was in another world.

First of all, the graphics are amazing. The small details that make you feel like the world is real. Smoke. Steam. Fog. Animals. Amazing models. FANTASTIC 3D SOUND. Then the gameplay. It's actually FUN! You FEEL LIKE THE BATMAN!!!!

One day they will figure out how to nail movement with combat and actual TV games WILL be obsolete. Maybe it's room scale + some kind of force feedback. Not sure.

I would pay SO MUCH for experiences like this. This is unlike anything in gaming!!!!

Theres so much enthusiasm in this post that it reads like a parody post from a review thread of a bad game :lol

Anyway, I caved and decided to buy it. About to head in and play it

Rez, blows my mind to finally be inside the game and I'm surprised it doesn't make me feel the slightest bit ill even though it moves fast and changes direction. Batman...man I can't believe how crazy good those character models look in that area where you put the different carts in. Especially the stance where they are staring at you. You almost feel like you should be able to talk to them, so weird.

Had the same experiences with both of these. I was really surprised finally playing the Rez demo. Even with all the "corridors" moving fast and changing directions I felt fine, the running guy level I remember sitting there and thinking "why is he still behind me?" "when is he going to come back up front?" like in a normal game, and then I turned my head completely around and saw him and realized I could start locking on and shooting again lol.

And Batman was so fucking good.

Had the same experiences with both of these. I was really surprised finally playing the Rez demo. Even with all the "corridors" moving fast and changing directions I felt fine, the running guy level I remember sitting there and thinking "why is he still behind me?" "when is he going to come back up front?" like in a normal game, and then I turned my head completely around and saw him and realized I could start locking on and shooting again lol.

And Batman was so fucking good.
Hah I had the same thought going through the area 4 boss. In the past iterations of the game I didn't find that boss all that fun and now he's one of my fav

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

I finally got to play this after moving my coffee table and repositioning the camera on top of the TV.

It is incredible. INCREDIBLE. And extremely unsettling at times.
Witnessing someone's death in VR is legitimately difficult to watch in a way that I've never experienced before. Did not expect that.

Only played 20 minutes but I so want to play more.

Here They Lie had to be the fastest I've ever jumped out of a VR game. Just got done playing some Battlezone feeling fine, wanted to check out the HTL demo - didn't make it 30 seconds and noped the fuck out. That game made me instantly want to vomit and vomit hard. I feel like absolute dog shit at the moment. Locomotion in that game is absolutely horrible, IMO.

Phreaker

Sorry if posted, but I thought this "mom fail" PSVR gif was funny.

ttG7j0V.gif

D23

Yes so much yes. Played and finished it today in one play through. I am blown away... fuck.

I really wish there was a full game with the Move controllers with the various balls you can knock around and play with in the menu for VR Worlds........ Fucking awesome

To be clear the headbutting game is fun but to be able to knock those balls around huge environments with various things to hit or whatever would be much better.

gadwn

VR first timer here.

Bought it on thursday, set it up and played around for about one hour (with lots of time spent trying to find good focus). Started with Battlezone, it was really freaking cool, but after playing for a stage or so I was feeling a little uneasy. Decided to try another game. I stupidly went for Rigs which made me almost panic quit the game after only a few minutes. A felt a little bad until the next morning. I began to question if I could handle VR.

Day two. After some reading I begun to understand that I had some tracking issues, apparently my VR controller / whole world shouldn't be pulsing like that. After a calibration I was ready to greet 5 friends for an evening in the virtual world. All of them were first timers also. I bought Vr Worlds and started the night off with demonstrating Ocean Descent to a group of people that had no idea what they should expect. And tbh, neither did I. That non-interactive shark demo was the thing that sold me on the technology. God damn, this really works, and it's magical and mesmerizing in a way thats incredible hard to describe. Needles to say I was smiling like an idiot the whole time.

One easily scared friend tried The Heist next, and his reactions when loud sounds and characters got really close affected him deeply. And it was hilarious seeing him getting into character during the shooting sequences.

My gf got Until Dawn handed to her. I think all the neighbors could hear those screams!

She also got tricked into testing out Kitchen, which almost destroyed her for a moment. Such amazing presence! All of had a go at it, one friend (he who got scared while playing The Heist) screamed like a little girl and threw off the headset during the ending scene. We laughed so god damn hard! I managed to get it on camera without permission xD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfCnzIThOJo

Played around with Tumble and superhyper cube, both great fun but nothing for a room full of people.

Playroom Vr is the shit though, we had way more fun with that than I thought we would. Some really clever mechanics in there!

Incredible night and thankfully I never felt ill after playing again. Everyone was really impressed and surprised by the technology.

Day 3. A had a few friends over again and I bought both Thumper and Batman Arkham VR for the occasion. Thumper didn't look that hot on the TV but in the headset everything clicked. Gonna love playing through all of that psychedelic sickness (in a good way). My Batman loving friend got to try out Arkham VR first. I think I never have seen him that happy lol. When it was my turn... I knew it would be a ride based on all blown minds but I still could not be prepared for that fucking sick immersion and total awesomeness. Haven't felt like that gaming anything in ages.

VR makes me hyperbolic and happy. I can only dream what the future with VR hold in store for us... in a couple of generations iteration I might never leave. This is awesome, try it folks, I hope someone got out something of my badly grammatical ramble.

I get really sick from reading in the car, but I have played the majority of PSVR games (Including REZ, DC, EVE, RIGS, etc.) and not once gotten sick. I did a 4-5 hour continuous play-through a few days ago.

Peltz

Not necessarily. I get that too, but I'm good in VR so far. It's the opposite type of "motion" that could create sickness:

Car: your body moves but your eyes are focused on reading.

VR: your eyes experiences locomotion but your body does not move.

Could you guys imagine the possibility of a PSVR 2 with a 4K screen for PS5, while using the checkerboard technique to output a decent 4K image? I mean, the frame rate needed for VR would make it difficult next gen, but it's possible depending on the GPU and CPU Sony decides to go with next.

I just finished London Heist, which was pretty damn awesome.

My only issue was I had some problems hitting guards in the first shootout. Particularly the one on the close right. Was reeeealy frustrating. The desk was also moving a little bit. Are other people experiencing these issues?

jadedm17

Love the enthusiasm, this is what VR is about.

There are flaws, sure, but with realistic expectations about the tech and studying up... Damn I'm just in love: Batman VR was beautiful, but just sitting in a car with Driveclub VR or looking out the side of the van in London heist is unreal to me.

Could you guys imagine the possibility of a PSVR 2 with a 4K screen for PS5, while using the checkerboard technique to output a decent 4K image? I mean, the frame rate needed for VR would make it difficult next gen, but it's possible depending on the GPU and CPU Sony decides to go with next.

I liked the cell phone analogy earlier : I'm impressed at this first gen hardware, I'm sure I'll be spending a fortune on VR technology in the coming years.

Soi-Fong

HOLY FUCK!!! Why are there not more reviewers talking about Playroom??!! That platformer game is legit breaking new ground in the platformer genre! It's a game changer!! So many of the mechanics are just perfect for VR!!! Playroom is exactly what VR needs to show that VR isn't just a gimmick or what have you. It shows VR can add vast amounts of innovation to genres that have needed them for so long!!

I fucking wanted it to be longer! It's such a good platformer! Even better than Luckeys Tale for the Rift. And the use of the DS4 is genius! You cannot have that kind of mechanic anywhere else right now. It really makes you think if Sony was that forward-thinking with the Touchpad and the controller being tracked. The mechanics are just perfect!

I couldn't stop smiling the whole time!

Mezoly

Does Rush of Blood spoil the main game? I haven't finished the main game. I played Rush of Blood demo and it was incredible.

Love the enthusiasm, this is what VR is about.

There are flaws, sure, but with realistic expectations about the tech and studying up... Damn I'm just in love: Batman VR was beautiful, but just sitting in a car with Driveclub VR or looking out the side of the van in London heist is unreal to me.

I liked the cell phone analogy earlier : I'm impressed at this first gen hardware, I'm sure I'll be spending a fortune on VR technology in the coming years.

Same here. After PSVR, I willing to invest a lot of money in this. I am already getting the Pro at launch to up the graphical fidelity even more, but when PS5 comes out and (Hopefully) PSVR 2, I will definitely be there. I just pray they ditch Move and go to IR for quality tracking. Hell, I would personally love it if they used gloves that had mini sensors on them so you could full grab items in-game (Or something relatable). There are so many possibilities and opportunities with VR, and it's only the beginning.

n0razi

Man its getting tough waiting for the Pro while im sitting here with PSVR and no PS4... I did play some Overwatch PC using it and it was pretty neat but the screen kept drifting and theres no way to recalibrate.

tr00per

game is telling her to drop the gun into the tray

so she drops the controller that's holding the gun

I wouldn't call that a mom fail, I'd call it a VR win ;)

Alright, so I wanted to round out that $100 on the PS Store for the $15 code. Here's what I've bought since launch

PS Worlds (included)
Thumper
Tumble VR
Superhypercube
Headmaster
Rush of Blood
Brookhaven Experiment

RIGS and Battlezone look nice, but I feel like the price point of the latter might actually be hurting sales. Not a lot of people around here talking about it.

My total is a bit closer to $120 above. Might use the $15 towards Wayward Sky or Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes (though that would be a double-dip for me, since I have it on the PC). Job Sim is fun, but I feel like I got a lot of that already playing on someone else's Vive and $30 is a tad high for that. No real interest in Batman, as cool as I'm sure it is.

When does that promo end? Would it matter if I bought games in sale? I mean would they still count?

Well the breakout box seems to be doing a pretty decent job to be fair

Does Rush of Blood spoil the main game? I haven't finished the main game. I played Rush of Blood demo and it was incredible.

I would like to know this as well

Does anyone know if you can unplug the headset from the breakout box while the PS4 is in rest mode?

I don't see why not?

Finally getting my own on Monday

Riddler

Yes. you can use the DS4 to point and shoot

Did anyone else think Here They Lie looked like a muddy mess? It still creeped me out but I think it's the worst looking VR game so far.

While scary not so distant objects simulated the character needed glasses. I really hope small issues like these are resolved with PS PRO.

Well I pulled off The Kitchen. Didn't think I'd ever give a try as I can't even handle 2D horror but my brother was over and I figured why not. Let's have some laughs. It's exactly what we got. He got my screams on video as he watched along on my 100" projector. This thing is out of this world. My brother was blown away more than me I think. And add one more person that was giddy over Playroom Platform.

Man its getting tough waiting for the Pro while im sitting here with PSVR and no PS4... I did play some Overwatch PC using it and it was pretty neat but the screen kept drifting and theres no way to recalibrate.

It's driving me insane. I don't have a PS4, either, but thankfully a few friends have been begging me to let them try PSVR on their systems, so I have a little bit to tie me over until November 10th.

JordanN

Banned
Thanks.

That... doesn't sound good to me and i can spot issues that affect image quality quite easily (much to my chagrin), guess i will wait until i can try one first hand and make my purchasing decision afterwards.

I'll admit that maybe calling it "giant 3DS" is the absolute worst you can expect. It's really just the high levels of aliasing that make things feel like you're peering at a handheld game.

When I used virtual cinema and watched a blu-ray and dvd yesterday, they both still look far superior to the games in the same resolution. So it's not just screen resolution that holds back realism. Plenty of aliasing is coming from; shadows,reflections, polygons etc still being years behind CGI/Hollywood standards.

Belfast

Same thing happened to me! Tracking was SPOT-ON in the morning, then in the evening I got the same issue you're describing. I think it might be due to three reasons:

- TV is projecting light onto you and it's confusing the camera - this would be far more of an issue during the night with the lights off than it would be during the day. Try turning the TV off, or turning some lights on in the room
- Camera works better during the daytime than in relative darkness? I've no idea if this is really the case, but try turning some lights on.
- I calibrated the lights on the headset. No idea why I did that to be honest as it was pretty much perfect the way it was, but the tracking problems started after this calibration which I also did in the evening. I doubt this is the culprit, but who knows.

Did you start the system back up from Rest Mode? Try turning it off and on again, a full power cycle. That tends to fix that particular problem (the camera will start lagging/stuttering, and therefore cannot track effectively).

doby

Got properly fooled today while playing tumble, I put down the move controller on the (virtual) build table because I needed to take the headset off. First time I've done something like that where I've perceived the virtual world to be real.

Dineren

Banned
I'm pretty impressed with the PSVR. After using the Vive and Oculus extensively I wasn't expecting much, but it's a pretty nice headset. I'm glad I picked this up, looking forward to putting more time into it.

I also managed to get my foot caught on my headphone cord and ripped the headset off my desk and slammed it into my hardwood floor 5 minutes after hooking it up.

Belfast

When does that promo end? Would it matter if I bought games in sale? I mean would they still count?

End of October. You just have to spend the money through the PSN Wallet. Although, the promo doesn't exactly specify if you'll get the code right after spending that amount or not. Just says "on or before November 15th."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom