• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Rush of Blood spoil the main game? I haven't finished the main game. I played Rush of Blood demo and it was incredible.

No spoilers from the main game, it's basically a haunted roller coaster with high score shooting. I don't scare easily and I screamed a few times. It gave me the same feeling as being at an amusement park or a really good haunted house.

VR is fucking amazing. The adrenaline rushes I get from it are already worth the price tag. I've been to some very expensive amusement parks and this has provided me some of the same thrills as they have.

LOUD915

Opened mine up...goddamn....the wiring and setup is a fucking mess. Took me a while to get the headset and my eyes adjusted. It just looked blurry for a while before I tried some advanced setup like eye distance and that helped a bit.

I played for about an hour....Rez made me sick...Rigs made me sick...Driveclub made me sick.

Kitchen almost made me piss my pants...I think I'm going to return it for now.

Cool concept...just not worth $500 for me right now.

Hawk269

Yes so much yes. Played and finished it today in one play through. I am blown away... fuck.

Is it as short as many have said? I heard someone hear finished it in about 45min or so. Not sure if $20.00 for an hour of game is worth it.

Opened mine up...goddamn....the wiring and setup is a fucking mess. Took me a while to get the headset and my eyes adjusted. It just looked blurry for a while before I tried some advanced setup like eye distance and that helped a bit.

I played for about an hour....Rez made me sick...Rigs made me sick...Driveclub made me sick.

It's not for everyone. It's only in the beginning phase. As time and technology progresses, it will get so much better.

doby

Try all the demos before returning. The ones you've mentioned are more susceptible to motion sickness.

Kalentan

Okay I've asked it like... multiple times but I think I need to ask. Anyone know if they will be adding more content to Job Simulator? $30 is a bit steep for a game that is noticably short (although time added when you just mess about), but anyone know if they will be adding new content? That would make the $30 much easier to swallow.

Also yeah, to those talking about the Playroom platformer are right. When I found out it was only one level, that sucked. Cause I could totes see a full game being like that. At first the idea of 3rd person VR seemed... bad. But that game did it well.

Soi-Fong

Is it as short as many have said? I heard someone hear finished it in about 45min or so. Not sure if $20.00 for an hour of game is worth it.

'I'd say it is if the experience itself breaks a lot of ground which it does. Also, it has the polish of AAA with I think the best sound design in VR currently.

Okay I've asked it like... multiple times but I think I need to ask. Anyone know if they will be adding more content to Job Simulator? $30 is a bit steep for a game that is noticably short (although time added when you just mess about), but anyone know if they will be adding new content? That would make the $30 much easier to swallow.

Also yeah, to those talking about the Playroom platformer are right. When I found out it was only one level, that sucked. Cause I could totes see a full game being like that. At first the idea of 3rd person VR seemed... bad. But that game did it well.

I have the Vive version but they've only updated some mixed reality stuff since launch. They haven't really added anything else to it.

Gemeanie

They haven't decided but sound interested:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/448280/discussions/0/371919771747948715/

Soi-Fong

I'm torn between Rez or Thumper. I've bought so many games! My list is:

Rigs
Summer Lesson
Bateman Arkham VR
Loading Human
PlayStation VR Worlds
Until Dawn Rush of Blood

I'm wondering if I even need Rez or Thumper. Haha

doby

What's the reason for the grainy overlay that happens when you start a vr game? I don't really understand what it is or why it's there.

corin7

Neo Member

That is terrible. Sorry to hear that. I really hope they figure this out cause no one should have to miss this.

Here They Lie.... I just don't have the words for it. What an amazing thing. I just can't even. It lives up to the pedigree of the developers in a way I didn't expect and I expected a lot.

It is crazy I have been able to use to PS VR for the better part of a year off and on and I knew it was going to be great but just having a full day at home with the family to explore it has been incredible. I couldn't be happier. I couldn't be more bullish on the tech.

bodine1231

Rigs
Summer Lesson
Bateman Arkham VR
Loading Human
PlayStation VR Worlds
Until Dawn Rush of Blood

Thumper is AMAZING. One of the best games I've played in a while. I have both and I prefer Thumper by a mile.

Nags

Banned
It is a lot of fun, and great for short bursts. Extremely difficult though.

This. Starts getting difficult after the first exam. They recommend playing it seated but I might have to be standing for the stuff the game is expecting me to do now.

Belfast

They've mentioned they might, but have said nothing concrete. And there's no telling if that would be a free update or what. They just need to hurry up with Rick and Morty Simulator and port that shizzzz over, too.

Sorry for asking as I'm sure it's been discussed at some point but,...

Besides Resident Evil 7, what does the future of the system look like? Are there any full games in development to look forward to?

Besides Resident Evil 7, what does the future of the system look like? Are there any full games in development to look forward to?

Robinson, Farpoint, and maybe one more huge game, but other than those, the majority are decent full games that are of smaller size.

tr00per

No spoilers from the main game,
Great! Thank you!

End of October. You just have to spend the money through the PSN Wallet. Although, the promo doesn't exactly specify if you'll get the code right after spending that amount or not. Just says "on or before November 15th."

Gotcha. Thanks! I'll probably pick up a couple of 50 cards. The flash sale right now has some great games on it and I need to get more VR games too.

I also managed to get my foot caught on my headphone cord and ripped the headset off my desk and slammed it into my hardwood floor 5 minutes after hooking it up.

Ouch!

The Playroom platformer desperately needs its own game.

Twitter campaign? Petition? How about a new crash bandcoot in VR?

Did you start the system back up from Rest Mode? Try turning it off and on again, a full power cycle. That tends to fix that particular problem (the camera will start lagging/stuttering, and therefore cannot track effectively).

Hope this gets patched. How else would anyone know that?
What's the reason for the grainy overlay that happens when you start a vr game? I don't really understand what it is or why it's there.

I believe I know what you’re talking about. I think it's what the screen does when it's just black. You don't notice it when there is something else on the screen. They could alleviate this with a psvr logo or warning screen or something

There's a thread on gaf of upcoming titles

Hellers

Yes. you can use the DS4 to point and shoot

Did anyone else think Here They Lie looked like a muddy mess? It still creeped me out but I think it's the worst looking VR game so far.

I've played about 90 minutes so far and it seems like a deliberate stylistic choice that I've come to appreciate a lot. It seems to be running at a very good resolution. You can see that when you pick up the collectables and realise they're pin sharp. The game also gets very messed up the further you go into it.

Futaba

boss sent me and four other staff in cars all over Japan to find psvr, only found two for sale, at twice the rrp, Japan is going apeshit for psvr

The one problem I have with the headset is the there's a gap at the bottom, I have trouble keeping it entirely on my face. If I look down I kinda have to press it in. Anyone know what to do?

LiK

Why does PSVR Worlds keep centering me slightly to the left? My screen in menu is centered correctly but not in the game. The in-game centering option is so useless. It's ruining my immersion.

Tagyhag

So can anyone who has played the Brookhaven experiment tell me how they handle the 360 aspect of the game?

I wouldn't call that a mom fail, I'd call it a VR win ;)

I'll say, and the best part is that we already have a solution coming for the "Dropping the controller" problem.

vive2sdjj4.gif

Rigs
Summer Lesson
Bateman Arkham VR
Loading Human
PlayStation VR Worlds
Until Dawn Rush of Blood

What is the process of getting Summer Lesson. Do I need to go through a bunch of hoops, japanese PSN etc?

Chris_C

Im an RPG, Action/adventure, Story based, content driven gamer. Best games ive played lately, are witcher 3, Far Cry Primal, BLoodborne, Dark Souls 3, Uncharted 4. Looking forward to World of FF, FF15, RE7, Horizon, Last Gaurdian...

Are there games like these, or some variation of these, coming to PSVR at some point"?

What I will say is that you may think you're a specific type of gamer, but find that these same games would not okay the same, or even play well in VR, and you may find yourself drawn to other genres you typically don't care for.

And this is the reason the new DS4 has a light bar at the top of the touchpad.

ps4slim-ds4-800x420.jpg

Good point.

Got properly fooled today while playing tumble, I put down the move controller on the (virtual) build table because I needed to take the headset off. First time I've done something like that where I've perceived the virtual world to be real.

I went to grab a block that fell off my table and slammed my move controller into my couch. You can get really confused when you get focused on a game.

ryseing

Yeah, cinematic mode is not great for non VR content. Tried to watch High Maintenance and almost immediately got eye strain, plus I had the drifting to the left thing happen as well. Shame as it would have been nice to watch movies in bed.

Yeah, cinematic mode is not great for non VR content. Tried to watch High Maintenance and almost immediately got eye strain, plus I had the drifting to the left thing happen as well. Shame as it would have been nice to watch movies in bed.

I watched Force Awakens without an issue. It felt like I was back in the theater and I should know, I saw it 5 times there.

ryseing

I watched Force Awakens without an issue. It felt like I was back in the theater and I should know, I saw it 5 times there.

Did you watch it via BD? I was trying to watch my show via streaming so that might have been the culprit.

Quick question...
Are the images that are being displayed on the TV during game play supposed to be letterbox and lower res?

Max social screen res is 720p so yes.

dochuge

Well job simulator works well unless bending down to manipulate items. The hands fade out and start drifting and it takes a few tries before something registers and that's a total crapshoot. I've kept my camera low at the base of the tv. I tried up high but that seemed to make things worse. I've heard of people having tracking problems. What's worked for you?

Got properly fooled today while playing tumble, I put down the move controller on the (virtual) build table because I needed to take the headset off. First time I've done something like that where I've perceived the virtual world to be real.

I did this exact thing too, so did the lady friend! Crazy feeling haha

Raoh

Hmmmm... Sounds like I need to jump in on this one. Was originally planning to wait much longer, but feedback has been mostly positive, so this could be hard to get once the holidays arrive.

I already have a camera but I think I should get the bundle anyway, buying it all separately seems to be about the same price or oddly more expensive.

Until Dawn, Batman and Worlds come with the bundle.

Tagg9

Damn, just tried the Hatsune Miku demo and I got quite the workaround flinging the controller around. I still hate the synthesized J-Pop, but I have to imagine the Japanese are going to love this.

Does anyone have tracking issues on a game by game basis? I've played four full games and two demos. Rez, Thumper, the Kitchen demo, and the underwater Worlds demo were all pretty much perfect as far as tracking goes.

Summer Lesson and Super Hypercube both drift like crazy, to the point where it's starting to make me queasy and are borderline unplayable. I've tried all of the different calibration stuff I could find to no avail.

LiK

FYI, you can turn down the brightness in PSVR headset under devices. The default is max and that could cause eye strain, imo. I turned it down to halfway.

Flandy

So can anyone who has played the Brookhaven experiment tell me how they handle the 360 aspect of the game?

I'll say, and the best part is that we already have a solution coming for the "Dropping the controller" problem.

vive2sdjj4.gif

Press circle to do a 180 turn. I think it works pretty well

Had a chance to go through the demos today. Fantastic stuff. Surprised to see a lot of 'snap turn' mode stuff outside of Driveclub. So free roam experiences are really few and far between. Interesting for many reasons.

Now I'm just a little nervous. If anyone has had time to give us a go yet let me know. :)
I may or may not buy it tomorrow so I'll let you know if I do

Goddamn, Batman is incredible!

The sense of presence and being the freakin' Batman. I didn't realize just how awesome it would be.

The graphics are fantastic, easily the best yet and beyond PS3 visuals, looking like it uses the Arkam Knight version of the engine. There is something about how the game handles material shaders and lighting that when looking up close to things like character models and items, it really minimizes the SDE a lot that it blends away during it.

This is a like the next generation version of an adventure game. It's so good, but so short. Come back Rocksteady and make a full $60 Batman VR title, I beg of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom