• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxix Von

Thinking about picking this up tomorrow morning, once again another awesome title sneaks up on me.

Damn, I seriously can't decide which one to get though. I think I like the pokemon in white more but the areas and theme in black better.

Izayoi

Banned
Foxix said:
Thinking about picking this up tomorrow morning, once again another awesome title sneaks up on me.

Damn, I seriously can't decide which one to get though. I think I like the pokemon in white more but the areas and theme in black better.
Well, you can trade for Pokemon, so if you like the areas better get Black.

There really is no best version, it's all personal preference.

Hanzou

Foxix said:

As far as Areas and theme go, Isn't the only difference really the forest in White and the City in black?

This is going to be an incredibly stupid question, but is there any issue with playing this online on a 3DS? This goes for HG/SS as well.

Izayoi

Banned
Hanzou said:
As far as Areas and theme go, Isn't the only difference really the forest in White and the City in black?
No. Minor spoilers, I guess.

The eighth gym city changes completely based on which version you have.

_Alkaline_ said:
This is going to be an incredibly stupid question, but is there any issue with playing this online on a 3DS? This goes for HG/SS as well.
No reported issues, and there probably won't ever be any. The 3DS has hardware emulation, so there really is no way this wouldn't work perfectly.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Damn damn damn.

I don't know what version i want to get!!

Ughh what version are you guys getting? It seems like White version is this generations Blue right? So that would make it harder right?

Man i only have time to give one version attention since i can't go through both during this time. Are there any story differences?

Izayoi

Banned
AwesomeSauce said:
Damn damn damn.

I don't know what version i want to get!!

Ughh what version are you guys getting? It seems like White version is this generations Blue right? So that would make it harder right?

Man i only have time to give one version attention since i can't go through both during this time. Are there any story differences?
Harder? What? Red and Blue were literally identical sans version exclusive Pokemon.

In any case, I'm getting both versions, but White is going to be my "main" game because I like the version exclusive areas and Pokemon better.

There are some story differences, but they are minor. If you really want to spoil yourself:

Your opponent gets the other legendary of the cover pair.

See the OP if you're wondering what the non-spoilery differences are.

Hey how long would it take to fully assemble this team(as in catching a form of each pokemon)?

Serperior
Braviary
Chandelure
Scafty
Gavantula
Reuniclus/Seismitoad

Foxix Von

Izayoi said:
Well, you can trade for Pokemon, so if you like the areas better get Black.

There really is no best version, it's all personal preference.

True, I keep seeing people saying that White is the blue of this generation though and I'm very tempted to also just keep with tradition lol.

I noticed some pictures showing a difference between the frequency of Triple battles and Rotation battles. I get the basic concept of Triples (three pokemon right?), sorry if this has been asked a bajillion times but what are rotation battles? NM read the OP lol

Izayoi

Banned
Foxix said:
True, I keep seeing people saying that White is the blue of this generation though and I'm very tempted to also just keep with tradition lol.

I noticed some pictures showing a difference between the frequency of Triple battles and Rotation battles. I get the basic concept of Triples (three pokemon right?), sorry if this has been asked a bajillion times but what are rotation battles?
White is like Blue in the sense that it's the "second version" (Red and Blue, Black and White) but that's it, really.

Rotation battles are easier to just watch than trying to have them explained to you. Basically you play mindgames with your opponent and try to guess which Pokemon he's going to switch to.

Foxix Von

Izayoi said:
White is like Blue in the sense that it's the "second version" (Red and Blue, Black and White) but that's it, really.

Rotation battles are easier to just watch than trying to have them explained to you. Basically you play mindgames with your opponent and try to guess which Pokemon he's going to switch to.

Ooooohhhhh!

Yeah that makes a lot more sense now, thanks! Yeah I guess I didn't understand what the OP was trying to convey exactly. Nifty.

So I got back from wal-mart, there was a line of about 10 people at the electronics cash register there to pick up the game. The first two in line were a couple and they both bought white version. lol. I guess none of them could agree to get black. hahahahah

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Izayoi said:
Harder? What? Red and Blue were literally identical sans version exclusive Pokemon.

In any case, I'm getting both versions, but White is going to be my "main" game because I like the version exclusive areas and Pokemon better.

There are some story differences, but they are minor. If you really want to spoil yourself:

Your opponent gets the other legendary of the cover pair.

See the OP if you're wondering what the non-spoilery differences are.

I remember that one version was more challenging than the other in all pokemon games.

Anyway I haven't thought about it since i was really young so maybe its just nostalgia talking i don't know.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Updated OP with more info on the Dream World and introduced info about the Global Battle Union. Also rolled the fixes made by Wiseblade and anon concerning the date of the Euro Victini event and the goof I made in the starters section. Thanks for contributing everyone!

Izayoi

Banned
AwesomeSauce said:
I remember that one version was more challenging than the other in all pokemon games.

Anyway I haven't thought about it since i was really young so maybe its just nostalgia talking i don't know.
You remember incorrectly.

Up until Black and White the only difference between the first two versions of a Generation were the version exclusives, and in Generation III's case, the enemy teams.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Anyone who's played extensively, how are the Pokemon Musicals? I see they're required for a trainer card star, how hard is that to get?

I doubt it's as much fun as the Pokeathlon.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Crewnh said:
Yeah those are great. What do you think of the current openings? English and Japanese. I think they're both pretty good.

So freakin' hyped now, just want to get either version in my hands tomorrow morning.

Like most of the English openings since the switchover, the BW one is just too mello. It also tries to cram as many tropes about believing in yourself as it can, too. I preferred when they were about winning and being the best.

Japanese one is OK. The first openings for a new series are usually pretty weak, it's only later on when the series has momentum that it's able to captialize on what's good about the series so far.

parasight

Andrex said:
Anyone who's played extensively, how are the Pokemon Musicals? I see they're required for a trainer card star, how hard is that to get?

I doubt it's as much fun as the Pokeathlon.

Certainly a disappointment for me. You don't really do much, and there's not much variety or reward. Way worse than the Pokeathlon, which was superb.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
parasight said:
Certainly a disappointment for me. You don't really do much, and there's not much variety or reward. Way worse than the Pokeathlon, which was superb.

:(

Oh well, I guess it would have been hard to top the Pokeathlon (I spent at least 70 hours on it), short of porting it over... Which they should have done. >.>

love the story dont feel like it 2rd to geting all the badges just the way they done it I dont feel like im just going to gyms and the story just to side to doing that

Teknoman

jump_button said:
love the story dont feel like it 2rd to geting all the badges just the way they done it I dont feel like im just going to gyms and the story just to side to doing that

Yeah the main series stories are getting more and more involved.

Cruceh

Banned
Izayoi said:
You can just exit and return if you accidentally knock him out.
I only have an Ultra and Megaball. This sucks
I think it likes to troll me. Wiggles 3 times then escapes

Ilúvatar

So just spoke to a friend of mine, apparently she was able to buy a copy of White earlier today somewhere in Brooklyn and is already up to the 5th gym.

Needless to say I am jealous

Teknoman

Btw what animal is a Primeape supposed to be based off of, if any real life animal at all? Always liked it, but pig monkey? Just seems like an odd combo of animals to base a pokemon off of.

Shakala

Teknoman said:
Btw what animal is a Primeape supposed to be based off of, if any real life animal at all? Always liked it, but pig monkey? Just seems like an odd combo of animals to base a pokemon off of.

10xcxtg.jpg

Gravijah

Finally! Pokemon Black is mine! Oshawott is mine! Trying to get a nature that doesn't lower special attack or attack, but otherwise my main playthrough is going to be using whatever Pokemon I catch.

Also, you can't change the text borders? :'(

Damn right when I was going to sleep.

I hate to ask but is that pig monkey real? Gah I cant even quote it.

*WiiRevolution1 fled*

Edit: what? No changing the borders? :(

Teknoman

WiiRevolution1 said:

*WiiRevolution1 fled*

Apparently so. After seeing the pic and doing some searching, it was a birth defect ( I think). Kinda like that cyclops kitten (not sure if that one was real though).

EDIT: Thats strange about the borders. Well maybe the C-Gear background has an effect in battle?

Shakala

WiiRevolution1 said:

*WiiRevolution1 fled*

Edit: what? No changing the borders? :(

Oh, it's real. Just an unfortunate mutation :(
There's more pictures but I won't post them haha

EDIT: I guess it's really fortunate for the pig since no one will want to eat it :D

zychi

Banned
So random questions.

If I get Black and get a few pokemon to high levels, say 70+, can I trade them to white, still have the 70+ and have them obey me?

Am I able to transfer the actual trainer? Or do I make a new one, and trade the pokemon to said trainer?

How about with legendary(or whatever they're called in this version) pokemon?

Izayoi

Banned
zychi said:
If I get Black and get a few pokemon to high levels, say 70+, can I trade them to white, still have the 70+ and have them obey me?
No.

zychi said:
Am I able to transfer the actual trainer? Or do I make a new one, and trade the pokemon to said trainer?
New trainer, transfer your old Pokemon.

zychi said:
How about with legendary(or whatever they're called in this version) pokemon?
You can transfer any of the previous 493 Pokemon except for Spiky-eared Pichu and Origin Form Giratina (can't transfer his orb).

I'm unsure about Rotom's forms, however.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It just hit me I have 156 new Pokemon to look up the stats and movesets for.

And it gave me such a nerd-on. SO HYPED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom