• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Roto13 said:
Great way to get Giratina's origin form if you don't have Platinum. :p
Well I guess I have an incentive now.

MatthewB92 said:
Holy crap route 1 is Attack EV heaven lol. Even though it's only 1 EV pokemon but it's only attack EV pokemon :D
I looked up the EV values in Black and White and it seems I've been pumping up my Mon with a lot of HP EVs thanks to all the Audinos.

Ravidrath

Speaking of the Lock Capsule...

Does anyone know if the event Zoroark they gave out in Japan can transfer Snarl to its offspring?

It was a male, and usually TM moves transfer...

upandaway

Just found time to start a while ago. Named my starter (Tepig) Sadaharu.

Somehow I always end up with at least 1 anime reference in my team.

Blizzard

Banned
So, I finally started last night, am maybe two hours in and have the first badge (pokemon white, using the water otter).

MOST things are great, even with the high encounter rate. I guess eventually I might use repels. I feel like this maybe the best pokemon yet. Am I the only one loving most of the music early on? I know it's short and repetitive, but the piano and drums in the one town, and the various really peaceful themes...even one or two fo the battle themes aren't stressful!

However, there are a couple of minor things like usual that seem weird. I had heard that stylus control was reduced, and that doesn't bother me so much, but is L=A really gone for good? ;_; That makes me sad and and I can't really understand why they would remove it. It was good for not getting cramped or something, or not wearing out your A button pressing it a million times. And you still have to press A/B/screen tap or else every attack cycle will take like 2-4 extra seconds. And cancelling back from each menu to the main menu takes like 2-3 seconds of black screen, but eh. The shortcut menu isn't bad even though one-button shortcuts were nice before.

I thought 240 pokemon box slots were crazy, but then I googled and found out that they at least were smarter than that.

To end on a good node, did anyone else crack up when Cheren (sp?) was talking at the start of the game? He's like the token character for everyone who has played the games for 10 years.
"It's about the pokedex, isn't it." "...she forgot to mention that pokemon jump out in the tall grass."

Oh, some more good things about the game:
1. Tackle being
100% accuracy now
2. The first gym being
set up so that at least one pokemon is tough for your starter
3. Some guy just
GIVING you a free pokemon, and a cool monkey one to balance out your starter no less!

Busaiku

Busaiku said:
Before I get Victini or Tornadus, I need to confirm something which I've never been sure of.
Are the natures of legendaries determined as soon as I see them, or whenever I catch them?
Anyone?

Do I really have to do the battle subway thing to get the EV items! I don't want to! 3 points pre thing will take forever with pokemon not EV trained D:

Busaiku

Gravijah said:
Roamers are determined after you encounter them, and standing legendaries are different each time.
Thanks.
So the nature of standing guys are determined whenever I interact with them? Or when I can see them or whatever (in the same room)?

Ilúvatar

Busaiku said:
Thanks.
So the nature of standing guys are determined whenever I interact with them? Or when I can see them or whatever (in the same room)?

If you save the game before fighting the immobiles, they're nature will change every time you reload

Busaiku

Alright, time for that postgame then.
CrazyDude said:
So how does this compare to pearl and diamond? Thinking of picking this game up.
I'm liking Black as much as when I first played Red (that means it's the best).

Boogiepop

Wonder if we're going to get a fire/fighting turtle starter next gen to complete the set?
Anyway, really need to get cracking on filling out my dex. It's honestly pretty daunting seeing a pokedex so large...

Mank said:
Wonder if we're going to get a fire/fighting turtle starter next gen to complete the set?
Anyway, really need to get cracking on filling out my dex. It's honestly pretty daunting seeing a pokedex so large...
No more Fire/Fighting! I want more pure fire types!

Busaiku said:
Alright, time for that postgame then.

I'm liking Black as much as when I first played Red (that means it's the best).

I'm liking it as much as Crystal (that also means it's the best).

Oh, and next gen Fire starter should be Flying again. Charizard has never been topped in the cool stakes.

Raxus

Mank said:
Start small with the black and white first. Then you can expand to the rest, just power level the garbage, evolve it, and be done with it and focus on pokemon you could see using in the forseeable future/is in high demand online.

Busaiku

Green Scar said:

Oh, and next gen Fire starter should be Flying again. Charizard has never been topped in the cool stakes.
We also need a Water Bug.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Green Scar said:

Because we need more Stealth Rock fodder.

btkadams

Blizzard said:
Did pearl/diamond have the L=A option? :mad: I think it did!
yes but now there's the more useful "hold L while pressing A on a move in battle to see it's move details (AP/PP/etc"

a lot of times i forget which of my moves is physical/special and what attack power it has so i find this really valuable.

Andrefpvs

Capture Power Up and enhanced forms are the best Pass Powers ever. Makes it so easy to soft-reset for good natured hard-to-catch legendaries!

Gravijah

btkadams said:
yes but now there's the more useful "hold L while pressing A on a move in battle to see it's move details (AP/PP/etc"

a lot of times i forget which of my moves is physical/special and what attack power it has so i find this really valuable.

L=A is infinitely more useful, since it means you can play the game one handed.

Also, what the hell is the blank spot in the options menu for?! It's taunting me. I bet it was L=A or borders!

btkadams

Gravijah said:
L=A is infinitely more useful, since it means you can play the game one handed.

Also, what the hell is the blank spot in the options menu for?! It's taunting me. I bet it was L=A or borders!
i never used L=A so i guess thats why i find the new button mapping great.

Blizzard

Banned
btkadams said:

Thanks, I didn't know about that option. Sounds risky if you mess up and accidentally use the move though. :p I normally just go through the pokemon menu to see move details anyway. And hey, the option could still be there, and just disable the hold-L thing if you turn it on.

Borders I don't care so much about since the new UI looks pretty nice. 720 total pokemon isn't BAD but I didn't realize there were 650, so it actually is quite cramped then. :/

Gravijah

Blizzard said:
Thanks, I didn't know about that option. Sounds risky if you mess up and accidentally use the move though. :p I normally just go through the pokemon menu to see move details anyway. And hey, the option could still be there, and just disable the hold-L thing if you turn it on.

Borders I don't care so much about since the new UI looks pretty nice. 720 total pokemon isn't BAD but I didn't realize there were 650, so it actually is quite cramped then. :/

Yeah but since most Pokemon evolve, you'll end up only having about half of that filled. Gives you a nice amount of room to do whatever with.

Boogiepop

So, any chance the GTS is trustworthy this gen? I'd like to try to get my hands on the Black legendaries and have enough extra unobtainables that I should be able to set up a fair enough trade, but worry about getting hacked crap from it. Maybe I should just poke around on a couple forums first...

Blizzard

Banned
MatthewB92 said:
GTS is 100x worse than the GTS from D/P/Pt/HG/SS. I hate it.
Didn't some people used to request impossible trades so that they could somehow trade/evolve things themselves? Or maybe it was for item/pokemon cloning? I don't know if it's still possible but I don't know any other reason people would make impossible requests except to see if people will give them hacked pokemon or something.

I never use it because I don't want hacked (or even cloned) pokemon, but I'm OCD that way.

Blizzard said:
Didn't some people used to request impossible trades so that they could somehow trade/evolve things themselves? Or maybe it was for item/pokemon cloning? I don't know if it's still possible but I don't know any other reason people would make impossible requests except to see if people will give them hacked pokemon or something.

I never use it because I don't want hacked (or even cloned) pokemon, but I'm OCD that way.
Hack pokemon could get past the GTS is those games but they can't in B/W. Some serebii noob traded me something and I tried to put it on GTS and said I couldn't :| then I go look at the info and it was born on march 1st 2000 :| .
Was cloning fixed? I would hope so. They also fixed the thing that let you evolve pokemon that needed to be traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom