• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravijah

MatthewB92 said:
Gravijah beat ya to it but I'm adding you anyways for the future :) My FC is 0218 0116 0010

Thanks Gravijah :D

Yes, but now I blame you for making me play more when I was about to go to sleep! Guess I'll start doing some of the daily trainers.

Forkball

FINALLY I got Victini. It only took me about five Great Balls this time opposed to the 15+ from my other tries.

My starter was Tepig so I don't really need a Fire type... I might drop Audino or Musharna for it though.

Magnus

Was pleased to nail the big Z with one dusk ball and no negative status effects on him to help me out. :)

Any idea why Poke Transfer isn't able to start (giving me the error that there "aren't at least six pokemon in PC boxes to transfer) when there most definitely are? I tried making sure the Platinum cart's party was full of six Pokemon too, still not working. It worked at first, and I transferred at least 50 over, but suddenly, it's a no go. :(

Gonna try a Heart Gold cart now.

Jswanko

Put about 2 hours and got 1 badge while waiting in line for iPad2 and of course, in my excitement, I forgot to wake up my ds and save ughhhh

Ravidrath

I guarantee that my Zoruas are better than SalsaSharks - mind have Snarl!

Also, as much as I have enjoyed the game, I feel the postgame is weak, especially compared to D/P/Pt and its endless Legendary Festa.

Very curious to see how they improve on it in Gray, because it's shorter than the last two generations, and Unova seems to be the smallest region.

I'm basically done with Black at this point and will be starting up White soon to finish filling out my Pokedex.

Magnus said:
Was pleased to nail the big Z with one dusk ball and no negative status effects on him to help me out. :)

Uh, pretty sure you can just throw any ball and catch him without fail since he wants to join you?

I whitled Reshiram down, just in case, but caught him on my first Nest Ball. And I think in Japanese White I just threw a ball and caught him without fighting at all.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Pokemon is a funny thing man.

Going into this game I had every intention of evolving my Zorua the moment he hit level 30. But now that he's there... I just can't bring my self to do it. I've grown attached to the little bastard and I don't want him to change a lick.

I had a strong dislike for Zorua's design when I first saw it too. heh

Izayoi

Banned
Finally got my first critical capture.

On a fucking level 4 Lillipup.

After I had just finished wasting nearly 70 Dusk Balls on Kyurem.

Why, Gamefreak?

Izayoi

Banned
Ravidrath said:
Critical capture is just when you capture it with a single shake, or what?
Yeah. Ball makes this weird wooshing noise, and then you hear it snap shut. Will wiggle once and catch the Pokemon.

Ravidrath

Izayoi said:
Yeah. Ball makes this weird wooshing noise, and then you hear it snap shut. Will wiggle once and catch the Pokemon.

It's happened to me twice, but also on random shits like Lillipups and whatnot, I think. :p

zumphry

Banned
So, went to
Dragonspiral Tower
and holy shit wtf. Going back to
Relic Castle
, but decided to take a detour to
Mistralton Cave
since I can now, and caught
Cobalion
with one Dusk Ball.

/smug

Forkball said:
FINALLY I got Victini. It only took me about five Great Balls this time opposed to the 15+ from my other tries.
I went to try and capture him as soon as I found the ship in Castelia City, and after I used 50 Great Balls it KO'd my last Pokemon and I said lolnothanks. Catching Legendaries has been the same tedium since Red and Blue and I don't want any of the new duders that badly to put myself through it.

I'm having a lot more fun with Black than I was a few badges ago, though. I was so excited to relive my childhood Pokemon memories with a whole new generation of Pokermen I'd never seen before but the sky-high encounter rate really took its toll on me. And it never got better; I just broke down and started checking Serebii.net to see what Pokes lived in the routes I was on and used Super Repels once I'd caught them. Coming from HG/SS, which I'd consider to be the pinnacle of user-friendliness in Pokemon, Black feels really awkward at times, especially with the removal of the glorious L=A function and the pared-back touch-screen control.

The thing that really disappoints me is that Pokemon games have always tethered you to towns and cities because you always need to be visiting Pokemon Centres, and Black makes it worse. I like the artificially imposed difficulty curve that results from the new EXP system, but Pokemon games require you to be a little over-levelled just to smooth things out. When you're on a level playing field with most trainers you can get jacked up pretty quickly, meaning you can only go a handful of battles before you need to heal. Game Freak obviously noticed it because you can't find a cave or dungeon in the game without a random doctor who just happens to be standing there, but that's a dumb solution to a long-standing problem.

Anyway, like I said I'm enjoying the game much more now. I seem to have accidentally overlevelled myself and with 99 Super Repels I can get further into exploring the world without having to pause to look out the window and jam my thumb on the part of the touchscreen where the RUN button will appear in sixteen seconds' time every three steps. I fucking love having infinitely re-useable TMs, and the story is better than it has been in any other game. I'm only in Opelucid Town and I can feel the game gearing up for some serious goodness.

Shahadan

I have a question concerning "starting moves". Are they moves that the pokemon magically learn out of the egg, or does the father have to know them anyway?

I'm trying to breed a swinub with ancient power.

Shahadan said:
I have a question concerning "starting moves". Are they moves that the pokemon magically learn out of the egg, or does the father have to know them anyway?

They'll automatically know them right out of the egg. That said, with Ancientpower, the father would have to know the move before passing it on, as Swinub doesn't learn it naturally.

v Yeah, what he said.

Ravidrath

Shahadan said:

Father has to know it.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/220.shtml

When you look at that list, the moves with "-" for their level are the ones they'll know if they can't inherit anything.

Everything else they can learn naturally, from TMs or under "egg moves" (moves other Pokemon know that they can inherit) must be passed on by the father.

Izayoi

Banned
My patience with the RNG wears thin.

Eight fucking Pansears, four Pansages, two Lilligants, a billion Audinos, and not a single fucking Panpour.

What the fuck.

Oh look yet another Pansear.

And another.

I'm done. Anyone have a Panpour they're willing to trade?

Ravidrath

Izayoi said:

Eight fucking Pansears, four Pansages, two Lilligants, a billion Audinos, and not a single fucking Panpour.

What the fuck.

Oh look yet another Pansear.

I'm breeding Panpours right now.

I'm going to crash after I get a female, but I'll look you up tomorrow and give you one.

Izayoi said:

What the fuck.

Gamefreak Staff: *laughs and jumps into a pool filled to the brim with $100 bills*

Yeah, I know how you feel. Tried searching for a Drilbur at one point. After hours of searching (and many, MANY gems gained), I finally found one. With the very first attack, I accidentally crit it to death.

I nearly snapped my DS in half.

upandaway

Got the second badge down. Man, Sadaharu is a fucking beast.

I also got a Roggenrola before the gym (named him Giga) and I didn't even need him, despite knowing he'd be able to wreck the gym by himself too.

I battled all the trainers so far and was still underleveled compared to her strongest Pokemon, so that's pretty awesome. I was kind of worried because I only had two Pokemon (in the Jap version I got 3 already at that point, and I wasn't too underleveled, considering).

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
hmm, any where good to train for the elite 4? I'd like to get my pokemon all to level 50 but it's very hard fighting wild level 35 pokemon

Zzoram

SalsaShark said:
Should have some Lvl 1 Zoruas to trade tomorrow but i wasnt able to succesfully trade with anyone here yet :(

Ravidrath said:
I guarantee that my Zoruas are better than SalsaSharks - mind have Snarl!

Could I get a Zoruas from either of you please? Will be on right now (6:15pm EST) until 8am EST, then again around 6pm EST (GMT-5) to ~11pm EST.

Thanks.

2223-5567-8150

Zzoram

thetechkid said:
PST, I'll be free after 1pm. Won't be able actually breed them till then(technically should be studying now). Also I'll be able to trade from platinum directly to you right?

I haven't beaten the Elite 4 so no :(

You have to beat the Elite 4 to trade with Gen IV. I suppose you could breed some and I could do the trade in a couple days if you're still available.

2223-5567-8150

Arren

Can anyone confirm whether it is still possible to read Pokédex entries in a foreign language, having obtained a monster that belongs to the corresponding country?

According to what I read on the matter, the Gen V Pokédex has indeed retained this function, but I can't seem to find any button that lets me consult the japanese data for the Shelmet I just obtained from GTS.

Maybe it's something I'll unlock later on? I'm still at the 6th badge.

HolyCheck said:
hmm, any where good to train for the elite 4? I'd like to get my pokemon all to level 50 but it's very hard fighting wild level 35 pokemon

Vicotry Road is full of trainers with lvl 40+ Pokemon. I only had one Pokemon beyond lvl 50 going into the Pokemon league and I beat the E4 with ease.

HolyCheck

MrCookiepants said:
Vicotry Road is full of trainers with lvl 40+ Pokemon. I only had one Pokemon beyond lvl 50 going into the Pokemon league and I beat the E4 with ease.

Yeah I made a big mistake though and none of my pokemon types counter the elite 4 :(

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
OK, I just experienced a really weird and potentially scary glitch.

So I left my game on sleep mode last night while it was charging and when I started playing it on the morning commute the game started running at a snail's pace. Really really slow. At first I thought it was just the town, Lacunosa Town, I was in, but flying to another caused the same slow down.

I turned the game off and rebooted. Same thing happened. The area banner popped up and the letters scrolled on the screen as if it were a slide show.

Thankfully I managed to get round it. On the second reboot I made sure C-Gears was off and the moment the game loaded I quickly selected a Pokemon and flew to another town.

I have no idea what caused this, but losing all my progress at this point would have been a bummer.

I could try and replicate my actions but I don't really fancy doing that.

JackEtc

MrCookiepants said:
I have 1 at 50, and 2 around 47, and the rest are around 30. I think I should get an entire party of my level 30's and grind them up some more.

HolyCheck

ok, beaten 3 of the elite 4, just got the
psychic
(put the trainers type in spoilers just incase) trainer left, this will be my hardest one.

Suairyu

Banned
Poké-movie re/watch so far:

(First) Mewtwo Strikes Back - a terrible, terrible film that I adore. Thanks, nostalgia! Opening battle to remix of the original Pokémon theme is boss.

(2000) The Power Of One - better than the first one, but still bad and I enjoyed it a lot less. At the time, I remember liking it, but this time I was just kind of bored through it, really. A shame.

(3) Spell Of The Unknown - The previous film was where I jumped off the series as a kid, so I never saw this one. Surprisingly, I found it quite good. Like, it's still a Pokémon film and everything, but for what it is it's really well done.

(4Ever) Celebi: Voice of the Forest - I wasted an hour of my life just now watching this. I advise none of you do the same.

(TV Special) Mewtwo Returns - Mewtwo got a serious power down-grade in this film. Deals with some poignant philosophical themes that would have worked much better if integrated into the original film. Felt low-budget. An unnecessary coda to the original film. Also Giovanni got made ginger. Bad times.

The Pikachu special from the third film is an animation treat. Everyone go watch that.

How many more of these things are there?

Shahadan

So it's my first time on the GTS...holy shit. Hacker and moron paradise ? They all want OMG ZEKROM LVL 100 ! Fortunately I had a few Tepig to trade with people who are normal.

Also requesting/seeking previous gen pokemon is impossible?

HolyCheck

Suairyu said:
Poké-movie re/watch so far:

(First) Mewtwo Strikes Back - a terrible, terrible film that I adore. Thanks, nostalgia! Opening battle to remix of the original Pokémon theme is boss.

(2000) The Power Of One - better than the first one, but still bad and I enjoyed it a lot less. At the time, I remember liking it, but this time I was just kind of bored through it, really. A shame.

(3) Spell Of The Unknown - The previous film was where I jumped off the series as a kid, so I never saw this one. Surprisingly, I found it quite good. Like, it's still a Pokémon film and everything, but for what it is it's really well done.

(4Ever) Celebi: Voice of the Forest - I wasted an hour of my life just now watching this. I advise none of you do the same.

(TV Special) Mewtwo Returns - Mewtwo got a serious power down-grade in this film. Deals with some poignant philosophical themes that would have worked much better if integrated into the original film. Felt low-budget. An unnecessary coda to the original film. Also Giovanni got made ginger. Bad times.

The Pikachu special from the third film is an animation treat. Everyone go watch that.

How many more of these things are there?

theres like 14 of them lol

beje

Banned
Shahadan said:
So it's my first time on the GTS...holy shit. Hacker and moron paradise ? They all want OMG ZEKROM LVL 100 ! Fortunately I had a few Tepig to trade with people who are normal.

Also requesting/seeking previous gen pokemon is impossible?

It's always been like that. 10 year olds shouldn't be allowed to access it. Also, you can't request Pokémon you still haven't seen in-game (Battle Underground and internet matches don't count)

Suairyu

Banned
HolyCheck said:
theres like 14 of them lol
: O

At least none of them are going to make me cry like the first one did. I've seen a thousand films more deserving of tears than Pokémon: The First Movie, yet Ash dying and Pikachu trying to shock him back to life fucking got to me.

And it happened again two days ago when I watched it after all these years. As that scene happened my eyes got all watery and I just exclaimed "Oh, for fuck's sake" and got back to playing White.

Fucking Pikachu.

edit - while I'm here not talking about the game, can anyone parse what went down in the pony thread for me? I was going to start posting there again but it was like the grandpa-simpson GIF of walking into a disaster and swiftly leaving again.

MoogPaul

The main thing that killed me in Pokemon games was that you constantly need to switch them out in order to level more than one pokemon. Over and over with the switching. Is this process sped up in Black/White? Is it easier to level more than one pokemon at a time?

HolyCheck

MoogPaul said:
The main thing that killed me in Pokemon games was that you constantly need to switch them out in order to level more than one pokemon. Over and over with the switching. Is this process sped up in Black/White? Is it easier to level more than one pokemon at a time?

much easier, I currently have two exp share items that I keep on my weakest pokemon at all time (gives them a split of the exp) and I put a lucky egg (boosts the exp gained) on the pokemon iim using to power through the battles

MoogPaul said:
You can always use EXP share (even in previous games), so you don't have to have your weak Pokemon participate in battles. And Pokemon with lower levels also gain much more EXP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom