• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gravijah said:
An early version of the Gen VI engine? Maybe. It's a strange situation.
That just doesn't seem right to me. The third version in any generation has never been that drastic of a change. Changing the engine would make it seem like a remake.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Still think Gray is coming out this year.

Expect an announcement in a few weeks.

R/S will be the ones using the new engine that Gen 6 will work off of.

Izayoi

Banned
I think they'll probably use the same engine with minor enhancements, obviously with some camera tweaks to accommodate the 3D and stuff like that, but maybe we'll see some higher resolution environments or better textures.

Gravijah

Blu_LED said:
That just doesn't seem right to me. The third version in any generation has never been that drastic of a change. Changing the engine would make it seem like a remake.

We don't know what Grey is going to be. It's also going to be the first 3rd version to release on a different platform, unless you count Crystal.

zumphry

Banned
Articalys said:
Oh my god, someone's operating a Twitter network for the Pokemon characters? Anyone have a list of the full set?

Nobody's gonna care but meh: For awhile I was doing an account for HG/SS as Gold. Basically just complaining about all of the weird shit (like Joey), but stopped because it got boring. Was thinking of doing it again but meh. I'm lazy.

Gravijah said:
We don't know what Grey is going to be. It's also going to be the first 3rd version to release on a different platform, unless you count Crystal.
I'm still in the boat that thinks it's going to be a DS game. A game coming out a system 1 or 2 years after the sucessor has been out is not uncommon, especially with a system as big as the DS. Look at the PS2. Big games were still coming out years after the PS3 came out.

Gravijah

Blu_LED said:
I'm still in the boat that thinks it's going to be a DS game. A game coming out a system 1 or 2 years after the sucessor has been out is not uncommon, especially with a system as big as the DS. Look at the PS2. Big games were still coming out years after the PS3 came out.

What, as big as Pokemon, came out for the PS2 after the PS3 came out?

Gravijah said:
God of War 2. Granted that was only 5 months, but I think the point still kind of stands.

Getting Gray on the 3DS would require far more work then GF usually does for the third version. At that point it would no longer be the "Ultimate Edition" of B/W, but a remake of B/W.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:

Is this a trick question?

Edit- Because Pokemon is the second-best-selling videogame franchise of all time and all...

Couple pages late to this but:

Male Trainers:

Black >>> Red > Ethan/Gold > Lucas >>> Brendan

Female Trainers:

Dawn > May > White > Leaf > Lyra

Champions:

Cynthia >>> Blue Oak > Lance >> Alder > Stephen Stone >>>>>> Wallace

Black and Cynthia are by far the best character designs. Indisputable fact.

Gravijah

Andrex said:
Is this a trick question?

Edit- Because Pokemon is the second-best-selling videogame franchise of all time and all...

Sorry, I don't mean like EXACT SALES OR GREATER, just something big. Not a niche title like Persona 4 or something.

Obsessed said:
Super Paper Mario is an awful game.

Not liking Paper Mario is understandable since it is a bit dated.

Play Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door. The game is perfect.
TTYD is indeed quite perfect. It is maybe one of the only really well-written games I've ever played.

SPM is a great game but really cannot compare to TTYD. If it was released without players ever touching the first two games I think it would have had amazing reception.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
This page is all Pokemon avatars except for Nils and CoffeeJanitor.

Zayne, yours barely counts. :p

Gravijah said:
Sorry, I don't mean like EXACT SALES OR GREATER, just something big. Not a niche title like Persona 4 or something.

I agree, they're (Nintendo+GF) NOT gonna release a high profile DS game 2 years after the 3DS have been out (they normally only release the 3rd version 2 years or so after the gen starts out side of Crystal).

I feel that they are either gonna show us what the next gen is gonna be with the Gray version or skip that version and do it with the RS remakes. I fully expect them to go full 3D models and animations and it seems they're working with Creatures on doing just that last I checked.

KingK

CoffeeJanitor said:
TTYD is indeed quite perfect. It is maybe one of the only really well-written games I've ever played.

SPM is a great game but really cannot compare to TTYD. If it was released without players ever touching the first two games I think it would have had amazing reception.

I disagree about SPM being great. TTYD is one of my favorite games ever, but I went into SPM not expecting much after hearing about the changes. Even with my lowered expectations, I just couldn't believe how bad it was. I forced myself to beat it, but man, it was so boring. Easily my biggest gaming disappointment ever.

Anyway, on topic with Pokemon. I really hope Grey is for the DS. I'm probably not going to have the money/will to get a 3DS until price drop/redesign and it would suck to not be able to play it at launch. I think if it comes out next year, it's not unreasonable to believe it will be on the DS, given how popular it is. It could be the swan song for the system.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Black-Wind said:
I agree, they're (Nintendo+GF) NOT gonna release a high profile DS game 2 years after the 3DS have been out (they normally only release the 3rd version 2 years or so after the gen starts out side of Crystal).

I feel that they are either gonna show us what the next gen is gonna be with the Gray version or skip that version and do it with the RS remakes. I fully expect them to go full 3D models and animations and it seems they're working with Creatures on doing just that last I checked.

You were wrong about the WiiHD so forgive me for not taking your insights too seriously... :p

Gravijah

Andrex said:
But they came out (in Japan, waaay) before the next system did...

Yeah, but they're the last big games to come out for the system. That's what I think of when I think of a system swan song.

KingK

Gravijah said:
That's what BW are! :p

That doesn't count! The system is still alive dammit!
I just don't want to believe that I'll have to pay $250 for a new handheld just for Pokemon. :(
I need that money for textbooks!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
Yeah, but they're the last big games to come out for the system. That's what I think of when I think of a system swan song.

Last announced games, maybe.

Like I said, wait a few weeks. Black and White were announced on April 8 of last year, so if Game Freak are cooking Gray like I think they are, then we'll see an announcement around then. If not, then I'll be wrong. :p Simple as that.

Gravijah

Andrex said:
Last announced games, maybe.

Like I said, wait a few weeks. Black and White were announced on April 8 of last year, so if Game Freak are cooking Gray like I think they are, then we'll see an announcement around then. If not, then I'll be wrong. :p Simple as that.

Though something to remember is the recent Earthquake. I believe that might have an effect on upcoming game announcements.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
Though something to remember is the recent Earthquake. I believe that might have an effect on upcoming game announcements.

Damn, you might be right. Has all the TV and stuff gotten back to normal over there? Or is it all still emergency stuff? Cause they probably wouldn't announce it in a magazine without having something lined up for Pokemon Sunday too...

Well, that might give me more time. :p

Articalys

Busaiku said:
I'm pretty sure there are no 3DS specific features.
There are DSi exclusives, but not 3DS.
Right. The only bonus is that with a DSi or more advanced, you can do local video chat and use WPA for the wifi.

Gravijah

Andrex said:
Damn, you might be right. Has all the TV and stuff gotten back to normal over there? Or is it all still emergency stuff? Cause they probably wouldn't announce it in a magazine without having something lined up for Pokemon Sunday too...

Well, that might give me more time. :p

Oh well, part of the fun of unannounced video games is speculation!

Andrex said:
You were wrong about the WiiHD so forgive me for not taking your insights too seriously... :p
AAHhhh, but I WAS right about the "DS2" coming out regardless of Pokemon BW. Thats one point I got over the most reasonable gaf member. :D

I was so happy when the 3DS was revealed a week after the "would Nintendo release a new gen of Pokemon for the DS if theres a new DS coming out?!?!?" debate.

(But I was only half right about it having enhanced 3DS features ... it has the DSi features on the 3DS ... thats close enough!)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Black-Wind said:
AAHhhh, but I WAS right about the "DS2" coming out regardless of Pokemon BW. Thats one point I got over the most reasonable gaf member. :D

I was so happy when the 3DS was revealed a week after the "would Nintendo release a new gen of Pokemon for the DS if theres a new DS coming out?!?!?" debate.

(But I was only half right about it having enhanced 3DS features ... it has the DSi features on the 3DS ... thats close enough!)

Yeah, I mean we kinda knew it would have something for DSi when the boxart was shown which had the TWL code. Most of us thought that would just be region locking, but not only were we wrong and it included video chat and WPA support, but it didn't even have region locking at all! Well, the international versions. I guess it kinda makes sense they would region lock the Japanese versions since they came out way before the rest of the world. Nintendo/GF were actually smart about that one!

Morokh

Deadly Cyclone said:
Just picked this up with a new 3DS. Woot.

Well I was planning to continue playing this game with my 3DS, but the image scaling is just awful xD and playing in it's native resolution (by pressing SELECT on boot) makes the game look much sharper (like playing on a GB-Micro), but the upper-screen seems a little bit washed-out wich is a shame for such a colorful game.

Will stick to my Dsi then :eek:

Teknoman

Deadly Cyclone said:
Just picked this up with a new 3DS. Woot.

Hell yeah. Just finished transferring my DSi info...now to see how the system works and get back on to Victory Road (I wont have any 3DS titles till I hit Toys R Us).

I can deal with stretching if its not THAT bad.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
D-Pad said:
Finished transferring everyone over (for real this time)! Now to organize the boxes. Ugh...

I transferred them over in the same order...Arceus was the very last spot before Victini.

DeVeAn

D-Pad said:
Finished transferring everyone over (for real this time)! Now to organize the boxes. Ugh...
4 hours worth of organizing. But it was worth it...I think. Kinda bummed the trainers don't reset. Feel like there's not much to do.

mandiller

DeVeAn said:
4 hours worth of organizing. But it was worth it...I think. Kinda bummed the trainers don't reset. Feel like there's not much to do.

Where are the best places to train? Is it just grinding the Elite 4 again and again? I've finished the game and need some more things to do I think.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
mandiller said:
Where are the best places to train? Is it just grinding the Elite 4 again and again? I've finished the game and need some more things to do I think.

Nimbasa City stadiums.

D-Pad

Andrex said:
I transferred them over in the same order...Arceus was the very last spot before Victini.
Hmm, I guess I should have been doing that from the start. :p There are so many duplicates though that I'm better off just deleting most.

Also: Noooo I forgot to switch to the last box and now they've taken over my breeding boxes en masse!

Which reminds me, I need to clean out the fridge so I'm getting rid of the following in case anyone wants something.

~30 Snivys (15 normal, 15 with iron tail)
~23 Scraggy
2 Male karrablasts (Megahorn and Counter)

D-Pad

Finished dragging all of the legendaries to their own box. I hate having to pull up the side menu every time, and then scrolling until I see Box X flash on mouse over. :\ Anyway, my boxes aren't looking any better but it feels good knowing I did SOMETHING with it. Next, I guess, I'll arrange my Teams.

Kanto legendaries are apparently my most favorite things in the world. 4 Zapdos and 4 Mewtwos. :p I still need to see Latias (which I can get from Sapphire) and Celebi (which I forgot to grab because I'm dumb) and the rest of B/W's which I'll get to shortly.

Also found my level 92 Charizard from FR, with his two Seadra partners (Blu and Spike). Brought back so many good memories. I'm gotta do more fun runs like that.

Izayoi

Banned
D-Pad said:
Finished dragging all of the legendaries to their own box. I hate having to pull up the side menu every time, and then scrolling until I see Box X flash on mouse over. :\ Anyway, my boxes aren't looking any better but it feels good knowing I did SOMETHING with it. Next, I guess, I'll arrange my Teams.

Kanto legendaries are apparently my most favorite things in the world. 4 Zapdos and 4 Mewtwos. :p I still need to see Latias (which I can get from Sapphire) and Celebi (which I forgot to grab because I'm dumb) and the rest of B/W's which I'll get to shortly.

Also found my level 92 Charizard from FR, with his two Seadra partners (Blu and Spike). Brought back so many good memories. I'm gotta do more fun runs like that.
Protip for box organizing:

Hit select.

You will be fucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom